• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Lazslo

Schmitty said:
So is anyone else having trouble uploading to their file shares?
I had trouble uploading a clip yesterday, after a couple failed tries I just went into the original game and made a new clip and then the upload worked. I would try this if all else fails, good luck.

squidhands said:
Wait, what? I was under the impression that it would all be turned off simultaneously. :-(

boo. Least favorite part of Splinter Cell.

So, I just looked online. It says 'Season 1, Days remaining 0'. I really wish they would use hours instead. (At least when they get to the final 48.) I have been going between Onyx and Gold. I played well last night and I'm back in Onyx. But do I need to play again today to keep Onyx? will it count? Who knows...

MMaRsu

Louis Wu said:
Heh - I can certainly see where the argument against trigger-spamming comes from, in midrange fights... but seriously? You're complaining about trigger-spamming at CLOSE RANGE now?

(I remember in Halo 1, when fights between evenly-matched opponents at a relatively close range were decided by who could pull the trigger faster - and I remember getting derided for having old fingers that simply didn't work as quickly as the people who were killing me. And now I'm hearing about how those folks who can pull the trigger really fast are 'spammers', an OBVIOUSLY derogatory term. Times (and arguments) change...)

Rendering.

Thanks man! Pretty cool noscope right?

feel

Are recent pictures showing up for you guys on Bnet?

Took a bunch in theater, I think more than 12 hours ago, and they're still not there.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm a bit bummed that the 19th has held out as the final date... i always hoped it was just a placeholder and the beta would get extended by a week or two. i'm certainly not tired of powerhouse/sword base/boneyard/overlook yet

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
i'm a bit bummed that the 19th has held out as the final date... i always hoped it was just a placeholder and the beta would get extended by a week or two. i'm certainly not tired of powerhouse/sword base/boneyard/overlook yet
But by playing them so much, you gave Bungie all the data they needed in a timely manner. And guys like Eazy who are glued to their couch mastering the bloom mechanic for hundreds of games, to boot. Had you guys paced yourselves, starving Bungie of their precious data, they'd have been forced to extend the Beta. Alas, you are to blame for the deadline holding. :(

aDDiKt24

Banned
Well finally got around to playing the NT1. Played 2 games and I thought it was the best mode yet. I loved the level design, especially the color. It felt a lot more vibrant and engaging visually and just generally played well.

3v3 and with all that room available it just felt right. Power weapons got a little annoying sometimes, but fights generally felt really nice and spawn points were right on.

Gui_PT

Letters said:
Are recent pictures showing up for you guys on Bnet?

Took a bunch in theater, I think more than 12 hours ago, and they're still not there.

Happened to me a couple of days ago.

Some of them randomly showed up the next day

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
But by playing them so much, you gave Bungie all the data they needed in a timely manner. And guys like Eazy who are glued to their couch mastering the bloom mechanic for hundreds of games, to boot. Had you guys paced yourselves, starving Bungie of their precious data, they'd have been forced to extend the Beta. Alas, you are to blame for the deadline holding. :(
:lol :lol
I KNOW WHO TO BLAME!!!

777Gamesmini.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:

...but i *only* have about 100 games.... sniff.

GhaleonEB

Prophet Steve said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1365274

Can somebody render this please?
And why do movies made on Overlook have as a description Overlook on Heroic. :lol
Rendering. Could you link to one showing Herioc? We talked about earlier ones in the thread showing Easy diffuculty. That Herioc is showing up makes me think Bungie is testing various diffuculties, with different numbers of AI running in the background. Which could be one of the factors behind the different levels of lag people experience.

(They're testing Firefight.)

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
Rendering. Could you link to one showing Herioc? We talked about earlier ones in the thread showing Easy diffuculty. That Herioc is showing up makes me think Bungie is testing various diffuculties, with different numbers of AI running in the background. Which could be one of the factors behind the different levels of lag people experience.

All of mine are on Heroic for some reason (Screenshot, not a video)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
As much as an issue the reticule bloom seems to be for most people I have a far bigger gripe with the jump heigh and movement speed for Spartans.

Powerhouse, as an example, contains so many ledges, jumps and other geometry that break that flow of movement due to the reduced jumping height. Ledges and jumps that years of Halo playing have taught me to be able to jump simply get in my way and defy my basic expectations.

Jumping around seemed to be an integral part of the Halo sandbox and in Reach it feels sidelined, hampered needlessly. In past Halo games I could recount the seemingly endless amount of times a well timed or lucky jump saved me from danger from rockets, grenades, vehicles or who knows what else. That seems to be missing entirely from Reach. Not saying it is, but it just seems that way.

How many times have I jumped over a Ghost boosting towards me in Reach? None. How many times have I jumped just outside of the blast radius of a grenade? Once, maybe twice. Escaped from a surprise rocket attack? Never. How many times have I failed to make the jump onto the ledge in the middle circle of Powerhouse? Too many damm times.

It's the sole reason why I prefer Elites in Reach, they have the jumping and speed that I'm familiar with. When playing as an Elite, I don't miscalculate jumps. The game plays closer to my expectations as a Halo player. You even go as far to say that the regenerating health of the Elites also plays to the strengths and preferences of the average Halo player.

I do have issues, some, with the bloom/reticule/whatever, but they pale in comparison to the fundamental issue I have with simply controlling my Spartan. It's goes against expectations and, ultimately, it's simply not to fun to play as Spartan.

The role of the Elites in multiplayer really needs to be expanded - I hope they do get their own playlist. Otherwise Custom games will be the only alternative for me to play the game the way I want to play it.

I agree with Dani. The way the Spartans move doesn't feel like Halo. I know they are Spartan IIIs and are supposed to feel different but it changes too much of what made Halo what it is.

GhaleonEB said:

I saw it on the File Browser, "ARBITER'S ROCK CONCERT" Overlook on Heroic, Monday May 17, 2010 07:01:33. It's both on Awesome and Funny. Added the date because maybe they were testing different difficulties on different times. I'll download it for if you can't find it. Knew about the Firefight rumors, but it are just rumors (accompanied with some evidence, I know). And thanks for rendering.

GhaleonEB said:

So far all (three) of the pictures I've taken on Overlook are on Heroic.

dep7yf.jpg

Dani said:
As much as an issue the reticule bloom seems to be for most people I have a far bigger gripe with the jump heigh and movement speed for Spartans.

Powerhouse, as an example, contains so many ledges, jumps and other geometry that break that flow of movement due to the reduced jumping height. Ledges and jumps that years of Halo playing have taught me to be able to jump simply get in my way and defy my basic expectations.

Jumping around seemed to be an integral part of the Halo sandbox and in Reach it feels sidelined, hampered needlessly. In past Halo games I could recount the seemingly endless amount of times a well timed or lucky jump saved me from danger from rockets, grenades, vehicles or who knows what else. That seems to be missing entirely from Reach. Not saying it is, but it just seems that way.

How many times have I jumped over a Ghost boosting towards me in Reach? None. How many times have I jumped just outside of the blast radius of a grenade? Once, maybe twice. Escaped from a surprise rocket attack? Never. How many times have I failed to make the jump onto the ledge in the middle circle of Powerhouse? Too many damm times.

It's the sole reason why I prefer Elites in Reach, they have the jumping and speed that I'm familiar with. When playing as an Elite, I don't miscalculate jumps. The game plays closer to my expectations as a Halo player. You even go as far to say that the regenerating health of the Elites also plays to the strengths and preferences of the average Halo player.

I do have issues, some, with the bloom/reticule/whatever, but they pale in comparison to the fundamental issue I have with simply controlling my Spartan. It's goes against expectations and, ultimately, it's simply not to fun to play as Spartan.

The role of the Elites in multiplayer really needs to be expanded - I hope they do get their own playlist. Otherwise Custom games will be the only alternative for me to play the game the way I want to play it.

I agree, I only post so much about Bloom because its flavour of the day, but essentially Bloom and movement are my 2 problems with Reach, they are pretty much my ONLY problems with it, but very fundemental problems non the less.

I think there are 4 major problems with the game. If they are changed it will be so much better.

- movement speed. it needs to be increased

- jump height. it needs to be increased

- bloom. it needs to be removed or adjusted

- vehicles. they suck, make them like halo 3 vehicles

AwesomeSyrup said:
I think there are 4 major problems with the game. If they are changed it will be so much better.

*cough*
laser
*cough*
Ssparks said:
Sorry guys but I can't figure out what Heroic is, can anyone explain?
A difficulty setting for campaign/firefight.

AwesomeSyrup said:

Sounds like someone doesn't like change. You want Halo 3, for Halo Reach, sounds like to me. All 4 of these things are things they purposely adjusted.

Dirtbag

My gripelist

- Movement speed / jump heights need a bump. It really does seem like a fundamental change just to stress the AA's useage. I don't like it one bit.
- The rifle weapons/pistol don't feel lethal enough, way too much running for cover.
- Pistol bloom needs to be even wider for spammers, rather then remove the system.
- Closed bloom shots need to be even more accurate.
- The grenades are ridic (fixed for fall)
- Vehicles all feel terrible to operate. They use to feel nimble and fun, I just hate the way they feel now. The warthog turret is terribly sluggish and weak with a startup period, GROSS. The vehicle health system sounded great in theory, but terrible in execution. And the wealth of anti-vehicle weapons everywhere scream "why bother" to me. Really really disappointing.
- Armor lock. It's frustrating, and interupts gameflow.
- reticles (fixed for fall)
- plasma launcher human tracking. Unnecessary. Also being able to lock on and see where people are instantly is cheap-sauce.
- focus rifle ammo consumption is way too slow.
- Cam
p
o needs a longer cooldown.

Butane123 said:
Am I the only one in thinking that Gen Defense would be great as the 2nd round objective in Invasion.

Destroy the generators to unlock the core!

The way it would be a lot more varied than just territories, territories, CTF.
Lifted from another forum, added here for awesomeness. Why didn't Bungie think of this? Is it too late?
Yes, I know it's too late.

Major Williams said:
Sounds like someone doesn't like change. You want Halo 3, for Halo Reach, sounds like to me. All 4 of these things are things they purposely adjusted.
Bungie purposefully adjusted the vehicles to make them death traps? I didn't know that.

Sill4

Major Williams said:
HaloReachSucks.com

I would love for them to add an optional 3D person view, that you could swap to on the fly. You are already given third person view for heavy weapons and vehicles! I think it would be another skill based mechanic to let people toggle with the perspective on the fly.

For me, it's also something about being able to see the character I am playing, the bullets around him/her and so on.

I didnt like it in MW2 where it was something you set in the server options. I like to mix between it while playing.

Dirtbag

Vigilant Walrus said:
I would love for them to add an optional 3D person view, that you could swap to on the fly. You are already given third person view for heavy weapons and vehicles! I think it would be another skill based mechanic to let people toggle with the perspective on the fly.

For me, it's also something about being able to see the character I am playing, the bullets around him/her and so on.

I didnt like it in MW2 where it was something you set in the server options. I like to mix between it while playing.

I don't like the idea of a player being able to see around corners by swapping perspectives.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Unlike most of you guys, the more I play, the less I have to complain about other than the obvious bugs and a few minor quibbles such as:

-melee delay to reduce 2x melee
-tone done grenade damage radius slightly (but keep core damage the same so well-placed throws are rewarded)
-Invasion power weapons are extremely easy to steal (both elites and spartans) Perhaps spawn them inside of safe zones with greater frequence but reduced ammo so everyone gets a chance to grab one?
-armor lock should force you to return to forward face when coming out of it allowing assassinations for those who hold it too long

After playing a lot of Invasion with the new loadouts, I think the vehicles are fine as are the anti-vehicle weapons. Since vehicles respawn faster, it's not so bad that they are taken out somewhat easily. It means it actually takes skill to be effective with them.

Bloom is fine since everyone has to deal with it learn how to manage it. Also, I think the movement and jumping is fine. It helps to establish sprint and jetpacks as actual abilities.

Basically what I'm saying, is that I think Reach is becoming my favorite Halo since CE. It's a nice evolution of the core gameplay that has the best weapons balancing of any of the games to date. The various character types and armor abilities lead to a large variety of gameplay that is fun and enjoyable. Now just fix the party-splitting bugs and it'll be completely awesome.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
So far all (three) of the pictures I've taken on Overlook are on Heroic.

dep7yf.jpg
Interesting. From Friday:

fmugc7.png

Definately more to NT1 than meets the eye.
Major Williams said:
I can only assume that you're intentionally pretending to be dense at this point. People are outlining lengthy arguments why those issues are detrimental to the game. If he was adverse to change, he'd be lamenting load outs, armor abilities, gametypes, etc. in addition to those items. He - and many others, myself included - are lamenting player speed and jump height because it damages the way the game plays. I'm fine with almost every other change in the game. But in my view, the reduction in movement speed and jump height makes the game less fun and much less interesting than any other Halo game, despite the improvements, additions and refinements to other aspects of the game.

Instead of throwing out the "someone doesn't like change" card, why not actually argue against the specific objections he and others are spelling out?

Sill4

Man, if they are testing Firefight, I wish they could have just given us a watered down variant with grunts, jackals and skirmishers that has a preset time limit similiar to the Pre-Release ODST demos.

Firefight is among my favorite additions to the series thus far, and I'm super excited to play it in Reach.

Dirtbag

Sill4 said:
Man, if they are testing Firefight, I wish they could have just given us a watered down variant with grunts, jackals and skirmishers that has a preset time limit similiar to the Pre-Release ODST demos.

Firefight is among my favorite additions to the series thus far, and I'm super excited to play it in Reach.

I wish the game was completed and they just gave us the game instead.

Dani said:
As much as an issue the reticule bloom seems to be for most people I have a far bigger gripe with the jump height and movement speed for Spartans.

You have no idea.

all i ask is a 10% or so boost in movement speed/ jump height, or lowering the height of some of that level geometry... whatever is necessary to allow us to make some of these jumps with surgical precesion.

I think Halo: reach should only be Covenant-centric multiplayer combat. :lol

Seriously, it is the most FUN I've had with the beta so far (though I've had fun in other modes, I consistently have fun as an Elite).

Overlook on "Heroric" and "Easy" make me think there is some cpu AI work going on behind the scenes, those two words fit into playing difficulties.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
I'd say campaign-related netcode in general.

6 player campaign/firefight omg!!
Agree. It's the map set up - ammo depot, no spare weapons placed on the map, weapon drop, map layout - that makes me think they're testing it in a Firefight context.

While my lag time has been similar to ODST, it's nice to see the improvements added: players can drop out without killing the game, matchmaking is enabled and player count (in the Beta, at least) bumped to six. Hopefully the NT1 code sees the kind of improvement the Halo 3 beta code did from beta to ship.

Raide

I have so many videos saved on my 360 HDD, all called Invasion or Slayer etc. It would be handy if I could Favourite my own videos so I could sort them easily later. Maybe right after a good match I can tag it to favourite it, just in case I want to go back later and make clips of the awesome fails I did. :lol

Top Bottom