• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Letters said:
yep

2ylrcxe.jpg

lol, still can't believe Amazon is really letting me have it for just $50 plus shipping xD

also getting a regular copy from some midnight launch though

So glad I'm still getting the legendary for that price. :D

Lazslo

kylej said:
You can't throw a dart at the American Water tracklist without hitting a gem.
Fuck yeah Jely, its a classic.

CrazedArabMan said:
So glad I'm still getting the legendary for that price. :D
Hey- I got the order processed but they sent me an Email and canceled a couple days later; how did you smooth criminals get the deal still?

Also, I think OuterWorldFranky has a twitter account:
David Ellis's Twitter said:
If you like Halo, Mister Chief or both you should follow @Franklez. P.S. He's new to Twitter.

Dax01 said:
*follows*

And I'm still waiting a background article on Valhalla: the best map in Halo 3.:D

Dude...

Wait, what?

The only time I really enjoy Valhalla is in a large party where everyone has Spartan Lasers, and there's low gravity, and 300% speed. Then it's really fun. :lol

But I haven't actually played a real game on Valhalla. Only Vaporize(the game I just described above), and Rocket Race :\

Gui_PT

Since only two of you were nice enough to PM so you can be included in the montage as a kind fellow Gaffer who donated render minutes, I had to go back and try to "catch" everyone of you.

Surely some of you are not included yet, either because I missed a post or you rendered a clip anonymously, but here's the list so far:

Ssparks
ZayneH
Tashi
Wolffen
Darkflight
Spasm
electricpirate
NH Apache
Louis Wu
Pennybags
OverHeat
Mayyhem
GhaleonEB
big ander
Devin Olsen

If you're not on the list, please reply this post or PM so I can update it.

Help me complete this list so it can be on the montage.

Gui_PT

Doesn't need to be included in the montage, I think. That would mean we'd have to keep track of who rendered what. So, as long as you offered to render something, it's fine.

Thanks

Gui_PT said:
Since only two of you were nice enough to PM so you can be included in the montage as a kind fellow Gaffer who donated render minutes, I had to go back and try to "catch" everyone of you.

Surely some of you are not included yet, either because I missed a post or you rendered a clip anonymously, but here's the list so far:

Ssparks
ZayneH
Tashi
Wolffen
Darkflight
Spasm
electricpirate
NH Apache
Louis Wu
Pennybags
OverHeat
Mayyhem
GhaleonEB
big ander
Devin Olsen

If you're not on the list, please reply this post or PM so I can update it.

Help me complete this list so it can be on the montage.
Is this all the people in the montage? I sent the guy doing it a PM with a rendered clip.

Louis Wu

I think there's something confusing some of you; Gui_PT is not collecting names of folks who contributed CLIPS - he's collecting names of folks who contributed RENDER MINUTES.

big ander

I think Gui was just putting up the list of people who have donated render minutes. He wants to see if there are any more, so they get credit.

EDIT: Dammit Wu. :D

May have to settle for standard version of Reach as money is super tight at the moment. We'll see how the next few weeks pan out.

Great article on The Pit.

It feels like only yesterday the media embargo lifted and we caught a glimpe of Noble Team.

Lazslo

Hey Mr. Urkster, any chance of getting the rumored May podcast in the update today? You may call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Kapura

Banned
Ssparks said:
Hey Mr. Urkster, any chance of getting the rumored May podcast in the update today? You may call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
We'd be lucky to get it monday. That being said, I'm always in favour of moar podcats; I just like to keep my aims realistic: I'm hoping for two before ship.

Lazslo

Kapura said:
We'd be lucky to get it monday. That being said, I'm always in favour of moar podcats; I just like to keep my aims realistic: I'm hoping for two before ship.
Yeah good call, Monday or sometime next week does seem like a more realistic timeframe. I though it might return to it's previous "Hilariously Regular" state after March when they served up two that month, but lately it's been back to the normal pace- can't really blame them, it's probably been really chaotic around the studio this month.

Dani said:
How..? What...? B-B-But...? How is that even possible? :lol

I never really play Big Team, for some reason. I enjoy large games but my friends never seem to want to play it. :lol

And Valhalla never gets chosen for anything else. I primarily play Team Slayer, Lone Wolves, and Team Doubles/Multi-Team.

I did play a lot of games on Valhalla during the Beta, obviously, but those don't count.

Gui_PT

I thought the English was clear enough =\

Sorry about that guys.

PM me if you rendered any Reach Beta videos for a fellow gaffer. It's for the montage chapel is working on, he wants to make a list thanking whoever donated their render minutes.

Hope that's better.

Edit: And thank you guys for explaining the post to those who got it wrong.

ManCannon

Ssparks said:
Yeah good call, Monday or sometime next week does seem like a more realistic timeframe. I though it might return to it's previous "Hilariously Regular" state after March when they served up two that month, but lately it's been back to the normal pace- can't really blame them, it's probably been really chaotic around the studio this month.

Well the goal is to get the May podcast out in May... but time is running out. Steve is our IT overlord and is insanely busy on our new office construction these days and he volunteers his at-home pro tools rig and limited free time to master and bounce the podcast. We're eternally grateful for his ongoing help but pretty much at his mercy. That said, with Monday being a holiday and no sign of the finished mp3 today, it looks like we're probably on target for a two-show release in June.

ManCannon said:
Well the goal is to get the May podcast out in May... but time is running out. Steve is our IT overlord and is insanely busy on our new office construction these days and he volunteers his at-home pro tools rig and limited free time to master and bounce the podcast. We're eternally grateful for his ongoing help but pretty much at his mercy. That said, with Monday being a holiday and no sign of the finished mp3 today, it looks like we're probably on target for a two-show release in June.
Any teasers on the subject matter of said podcasts? Besides the general brush that is 'post-beta discussion' :p

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
Any teasers on the subject matter of said podcasts? Besides the general brush that is 'post-beta discussion' :p
Well, if the first one is post Beta and pre-E3, the subject there is quite natural. And if the second one is post-E3, that one sort of picks its own subject as well.

I just realized that E3 starts in just over two weeks. That's....not very long. Good times ahead. (For us. Crunch time for Bungie, poor guys.)

GhaleonEB said:
Well, if the first one is post Beta and pre-E3, the subject there is quite natural. And if the second one is post-E3, that one sort of picks its own subject as well.

I just realized that E3 starts in just over two weeks. That's....not very long. Good times ahead. (For us. Crunch time for Bungie, poor guys.)
Well, I was referring to the items tat may not be Beta/E3 related as they were a given. I meant things akin to map postmertems in audio form or crazy stories about Jerome :p

GhaleonEB said:
Bungie have it rough between now and the end of September.

After that, it's just hookers and blow and leisurely lengths of the money pool.

Kapura

Banned
Hydranockz said:
Speculation: Brian and Luke will make dick jokes, and urk will troll the guests.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:

They'll probably go gold around mid-August to hit the Sep. 14th release date. So only two and a half months of development left and the hookers and blow can commence.

Two and a half months left on a three year project. Must be terrifying and exhilarating right now.

WJD

Shake Appeal said:

Speaking of money pools, what's the general consensus on the amount of cash people at a top developer like Bungie/Epic/Bioware/etc earn?

How much of the overall profits would the developers themselves receive?

Dirtbag

WJD said:
Speaking of money pools, what's the general consensus on the amount of cash people at a top developer like Bungie/Epic/Bioware/etc earn?

I'm sure there are many tiers of pay and experience, but I know if I'm talented enough to work at a place like that, and agreed to the 80 hour weeks these guys are working I'm not doing it for any less then 6 figures. And even then, 100,000 isn't worth it to me.... but I'm addicted to women and they require free time.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:

i've been day dreaming of a campaign demo that is very reminiscent of the infamous halo 2 new mombasa demo. one where joe staten plugs away through a glorious futuristic city-scape on reach. with air strikes, marines being carried away on stretchers, and flash bangs, and jackles in formation.

Lazslo

ManCannon said:
Two shows in June is better the one is May:D Slopez is like the unsung hero of the podcast, give him high
vh
five for us.

WJD said:

I don't know how accurate this is, but it might give you an idea.

feel

Those of you desperate for a new bungie podcast, make sure to check out the OXM one Ghal has up in the OP if you haven't already, it has a pretty lengthy segment (half an hour in) with Carney and Brian talking about the beta and some other things.

edit: my name/tag almost looks like a penis now :/

Gui_PT

Letters said:
Those of you desperate for a new bungie podcast, make sure to check out the OXM one Ghal has up in the OP if you haven't already, it has a pretty lengthy segment (half an hour in) with Carney and Brian talking about the beta and some other things.

edit: my name/tag almost looks like a penis now :/

That's sweet.

The flag thing. Not the penis thing.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Dude...

Wait, what?

The only time I really enjoy Valhalla is in a large party where everyone has Spartan Lasers, and there's low gravity, and 300% speed. Then it's really fun. :lol

But I haven't actually played a real game on Valhalla. Only Vaporize(the game I just described above), and Rocket Race :\

LMAO i played it on those settings before but it was oddball. if i remember correctly the score was 250 seconds or something and i won, the second place guy was only 3 seconds behind me, that gametype was nuts!

ManCannon

GhaleonEB said:
They'll probably go gold around mid-August to hit the Sep. 14th release date. So only two and a half months of development left and the hookers and blow can commence.

Two and a half months left on a three year project. Must be terrifying and exhilarating right now.

The team is definitely in the thick of it right now. Minutes matter at this rate. I can't begin to claim I'm here 14+ hours a day fixing bugs - I do know that's pretty rough - but on the peripheral I see it as a magical and awesome time.

Every day the builds are that much more awesome. I've always been awestruck by the perfect storm that is the final stretch of Bungie game development. The entire team rallies together and I've always stated that it really seems like 90% of the game is created in the final 10% of the schedule. Bungie is at it's best under pressure and it's during polish and 'bug' fixing when the game really turns the corner and becomes special, becomes "Bungie." It is indeed exhilarating and terrifying. Even more than usual considering it's all amounting to the culmination of a decade's worth of work and Bungie's final Halo title. I predict more than one misty eye when the time comes to hand off that final build.

E3 should be sweet but it couldn't come at worse time in the overall project. It's a real challenge to juggle while finishing the entire game but the team is of course rising to the challenge.

Now if only I could show you some of the newly revamped medals in Reach, you wouldn't need to read Urk's update at all! :D

Trasher

Gui_PT said:
I thought the English was clear enough =\

Sorry about that guys.

PM me if you rendered any Reach Beta videos for a fellow gaffer. It's for the montage chapel is working on, he wants to make a list thanking whoever donated their render minutes.

Hope that's better.

Edit: And thank you guys for explaining the post to those who got it wrong.
I know Domino rendered quite a bunch for people.

ManCannon

WJD said:
Looks about what I expected, really. Though like dirtbag said, I'd expect a few 100k's in and around there.

I'd take that with a grain of salt... no idea where that stuff comes from or how accurate it really is. Suffice it to say that Bungie is very competitive in terms of compensation and has to be in order to attract and retain the best talent in the industry. Beyond base salaries there are all sorts of great benefits including profit sharing for the entire studio and a near limitless supply of Doctor Becker's all natural soda.

GhaleonEB

ManCannon said:
The team is definitely in the thick of it right now. Minutes matter at this rate. I can't begin to claim I'm here 14+ hours a day fixing bugs - I do know that's pretty rough - but on the peripheral I see it as a magical and awesome time.

Every day the builds are that much more awesome. I've always been awestruck by the perfect storm that is the final stretch of Bungie game development. The entire team rallies together and I've always stated that it really seems like 90% of the game is created in the final 10% of the schedule. Bungie is at it's best under pressure and it's during polish and 'bug' fixing when the game really turns the corner and becomes special, becomes "Bungie."
This made me think back on the Halo 2 development cycle. As time went on and the details emerged publicly about how brutal and challenging that project was, and how much it changed - and lost - over development, it's nothing short of a miracle it turned out the way it did. Most projects would be a disaster under those circumstances, but you guys pulled it (mostly) from the fire, somehow. Halo 3 really showed what you guys can do with a solid dev plan and longer polish pass, so I can't wait to see what the team learned from that process to incorporate into Reach. I look forward to the fruits of your labors. :D

It is indeed exhilarating and terrifying. Even more than usual considering it's all amounting to the culmination of a decade's worth of work and Bungie's final Halo title. I predict more than one misty eye when the time comes to hand off that final build.

E3 should be sweet but it couldn't come at worse time in the overall project. It's a real challenge to juggle while finishing the entire game but the team is of course rising to the challenge.
Yikes, I didn't even put two and two together there. Talk about a terrible time to divert resources.

Now if only I could show you some of the newly revamped medals in Reach, you wouldn't need to read Urk's update at all! :D
You did it again. Thanks. :lol

ManCannon said:
Please Master.

:lol

Was the release decided by the publisher or Bungie?
Wonder how the team is split getting E3 stuff ready and finishing Reach. Who'll be on stage with a gameplay demo (assuming there is one)...

Zeouterlimits said:
Please Master.

:lol

Was the release decided by the publisher or Bungie?
Wonder how the team is split getting E3 stuff ready and finishing Reach. Who'll be on stage with a gameplay demo (assuming there is one)...
"What if the phones.... rang?"

Top Bottom