• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

zumphry

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Actually, medal pins would be awesome PAX gifts to give out at the stand.
Commendation patches winnable for winning at whatever new version of Firefight they'll have.
*hopeful speculation*

:(. I'd love to see more pins in the Bungie store, but if those were to be PAX exclusive I'd be screwed (unless they were only limited-time PAX only pins that'd go up in the store after a month or so).

More pins, please.

Anyway, cool update. I like the look of the medals, and they look much better than the "let's add some dirt to the old medals and make them darker" that the beta showed (but that's how the medals like Double and Triple Kill will be like in the final game and not changed from the beta..).

Dax01 said:
I'm gonna have to throw my support behind what Oozer suggested earlier: It's probably Red vs. Blue.
I initially thought it might have something to do with a side story akin to Sadie's Story and the Ilovebees thing but in relation to Red team. I'm gonna see where this idea goes :p

GhaleonEB

Blueblur1 said:
The medals look nice but at the end of the day they're just JPEGs. Big deal. Fix Reach.
2a66s69.jpg

RdN

The section in the BWU says Radio Chatter.. the first thing that came ito my mind is: Fred's Red Team radio chatter!

It would be some sort of collectable just like the Audio Files containing Sadies Story in ODST, but it'll tell the history of Red Team (like in the book First Strike).

WOULD BE AWESOME !

Oozer3993

Hydranockz said:
I initially thought it might have something to do with a side story akin to Sadie's Story and the Ilovebees thing but in relation to Red team. I'm gonna see where this idea goes :p

RdN said:
The section in the BWU says Radio Chatter.. the first thing that came ito my mind is: Fred's Red Team radio chatter!

It would be some sort of collectable just like the Audio Files containing Sadies Story in ODST, but it'll tell the history of Red Team (like in the book First Strike).

WOULD BE AWESOME !

Ok this would be awesome too.

Merguson

Banned
Red = Color of Blood
Blood = Smeared all over the wall
Wall = Part of room where Noble Team was slaughtered
Noble Team = Slaughtered by the Covenant

Conclusion: After third mission, you play as the Covenant for the remainder of the campaign as they annihilate the planet Reach.

The mystery has been solved. You're welcome.

EazyB

Banned
Finally got the chance to read through the update. Sounds like two podcasts in June? Awesome. And Sage on the next podcast is great, enjoyed him on the last one he was on, but more importantly he has some 'splainin to do. Now I don't need a formal apology for the beta, just a guarantee that the final game will be make Halo good again will suffice.

Merguson said:
Red = Color of Blood
Blood = Smeared all over the wall
Wall = Part of room where Noble Team was slaughtered
Noble Team = Slaughtered by the Covenant

Conclusion: After third mission, you play as the Covenant for the remainder of the campaign as they annihilate the planet Reach.

The mystery has been solved. You're welcome.
Awesome, reasonable movement speed and jump height FTW!

But seriously, they've finally got some really unique gameplay for elites so now would definitely be the time to do a mission or two as them. One thing I do enjoy about the CoD campaigns is how they vary the gameplay up, it doesn't always turn out well but at least they try. Halo being a sandbox game with variety built into it has always been good about keeping things relatively fresh but I'd love to play a quick snippet as a hunter or something. Probably a lone in these wishes as many hated those missions in Halo 2 but I think playing as an elite, alongside the newly improved covenant (excluding the chickens), would be fucking awesome. Guess it might work against their whole making the covie mysterious again campaign but a man can dream.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
Awesome, reasonable movement speed and jump height FTW!

But seriously, they've finally got some really unique gameplay for elites so now would definitely be the time to do a mission or two as them. One thing I do enjoy about the CoD campaigns is how they vary the gameplay up, it doesn't always turn out well but at least they try. Halo being a sandbox game with variety built into it has always been good about keeping things relatively fresh but I'd love to play a quick snippet as a hunter or something. Probably a lone in these wishes as many hated those missions in Halo 2 but I think playing as an elite, alongside the newly improved covenant (excluding the chickens), would be fucking awesome. Guess it might work against their whole making the covie mysterious again campaign but a man can dream.
I'm not expecting to play any campaign as Elites - though I'd like to - but I am hoping we can at least play some Firefight against Marines, ODSTs and Spartans as one.

Time for some speculation.

Hammer Riot: But wait... this is a six pointed star. Hammer Spree is four points and Dream Crusher is Five. Could Sprees be going up to 15 now? The picture is called Hammer Riot too. Running Riot = 15 kills.
hammer_riot.jpg

Headcase: The new Headcase medal apparently? Looks a lot like headshot.
headcase.jpg

Laser Kill: Obvious.
laser_kill.jpg

Pull: Yes! I tried to get this in the Beta. Never could get it. It looks awesome. I assume it's still Headshot someone jetpacking/kill someone jetpacking.
pull.jpg

Wheelman Spree!?: Hell yeah. Five wheelman medals gets you a Wheelman spree? This looked like a Splatter Spree at first, but the image is called Wheelman Spree....
wheelman_spree.jpg

Yoink: ....? Looks like the 'Maybe next time buddy' Achievement. Board someone 10 seconds after they boarded you.
yoink.jpg

Zombie Frenzy: Infection returns!
zombie_frenzy.jpg

Sorry the pics are sooooo big!

Dani said:
Those medals are really eye popping. Pity we won't be able appreciate them at this scale in the game.

I doubt those are actually going to be as high-res in the game. I.E. these are mockups. Kind of a waste of the texture budget for something that's an inch tall and only appears for a few seconds on the screen...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thagomizer said:
I doubt those are actually going to be as high-res in the game. I.E. these are mockups. Kind of a waste of the texture budget for something that's an inch tall and only appears for a few seconds on the screen...
Unti-8.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:
I'm not expecting to play any campaign as Elites - though I'd like to - but I am hoping we can at least play some Firefight against Marines, ODSTs and Spartans as one.

mind blown. never even thought of that!

big ander

Hydranockz said:
So I finished Ender's Game yesterday. That has my mind in crazy awesome places by seeing all these various connections...

Hype levels are steadily increasing!!!
Such a good book. Read Ender's Shadow too, and then you can choose whether or not to read the other 7 books. Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind aren't great on their own, but together they're like one awesome 1,500 page sequel to Ender's Game. It's long, but so interesting. Ender in Exile suffers from being basically a short story interquel stretched to novel length, but it's not bad. I haven't read the other 3 Shadow novels yet.

Update was good, like the medals, I'm intrigued by some stuff, but truly I'm only looking to E3. Can't wait for that.

Church RvB said:
Time for some speculation.
Sounds good. I'm glad they're bringing greater consistency to them. e.g. the old Headcase medal wouldn't give you so much as an inkling as to what it was for, whereas this one looks like the headshot medal.

Etc.

GhaleonEB said:
You mean actually killing Marines and ODSTs? Not sure how I feel about that. The one thing I appreciate about the Arbiter levels in Halo 2 is that we never fight against Humans - just other Covenant and Flood.

Gui_PT

Shake Appeal said:
The time and resources it would take to program the AI and mechanics for fighting against humans make the idea unfeasible.

I thought we were going to have human rebel encounters in the game?

Certainly the ODST or Spartan AI wouldn't be much different from "regular" humans.

JohnIIVII

Shake Appeal said:
The time and resources it would take to program the AI and mechanics for fighting against humans make the idea unfeasible.
Unless they have already put it in the game. For instance, fighting the outer colony rebels at the beginning of campaign maybe? Who knows, all we can do is speculate at this point.

Edit: Beaten by the Gui

It'd be a neat addition to the series, but consider me doubtful.
The AI of companions (human or Elite) isn't up t snuff for actually fighting against as interesting enemies. So unless it was a really small encounter I doubt it'll happen in Reach.
The effort/dev time required to make it believable/as fun as (but different) as the rest of the combat would mean that it'd have to be a bigger focus for the game.

The fact that we haven't seen the beginnings of an ARG yet surprises me. Do people think we are getting one? A precedent has been set, they're quite fun and exciting, so I really hope one is planned.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
You mean actually killing Marines and ODSTs? Not sure how I feel about that. The one thing I appreciate about the Arbiter levels in Halo 2 is that we never fight against Humans - just other Covenant and Flood.
While I agree for the most part about the Halo 2 campaign, Firefight has a lot more to do with MP, to me. We shoot at humans every time we play MP, and that doesn't bug me one bit. It'd be like the NT1 mode, just in reverse and with some AI running.

GhaleonEB said:
While I agree for the most part about the Halo 2 campaign, Firefight has a lot more to do with MP, to me. We shoot at humans every time we play MP, and that doesn't bug me one bit. It'd be like the NT1 mode, just in reverse and with some AI running.
I agree as I am getting sick of having to betray Zeouterlimits in FF to get my fill of killing ODST's :p

Unfortunatly I dont think the Human AI would be much fun to fight against in general, I saw them doing some amazing things a few times though so you never know, they were actually taking cover, and it seemed like they were even teamshooting!

Waypoint has got some interesting new stuff up, The making of the 2 Evolution motion comics and some factsheets on Reach, the making of stuff was really interesting, I cant believe the effort they went through to bring us those things for free.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't really put Spartans on the same level as Marines/ODSTs. I mean, I play Halo to shoot at aliens, not other people.

Dax01 said:
I don't really put Spartans on the same level as Marines/ODSTs. I mean, I play Halo to shoot at aliens, not other people.
Does that stuff seriously bother you? Has Bungie really insisted you shouldn't kill off our only chance against the Covenant?

feel

Dax01 said:
They already crossed that line in ODST,
you have to kill that dude that goes to check if Sadie's father is really dead.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I mean, I play Halo to shoot at aliens, not other people.
That's fine. My point, and where we disagree, has gone sailing over your head.

I don't like the idea of playing as Covenant and shooting humans in a story-based setting such as Campaign. That's one of the things I think Bungie got exactly right in Halo 2, and one of the reasons I like Halo over other shooters. (It's easier to explain to my kids that we shoot the purple aliens than other people.)

I have no problem shooting people in an environment devoid of story where it's wacky and fun and silly. That is what MP is to me, and Firefight as well. An option to play as Elites against Marines would be neat. Fortunately, that would be optional. And you would not have to play it. Because Halo is like that.
Dax01 said:
Don't have to rub it in. :*(
It's not you, I'm grouchy today.

So can someone clarify what's going on with the HaloGAF Reach Beta Montage? I submitted some clips to Ssparks I believe and then someone else just a few days ago was talking about the montage and I wasn't included on the list, so I'm wondering what's going on. PM'ed him but didn't get a response.

GhaleonEB said:
That's fine. My point, and where we disagree, has gone sailing over your head.
I don't like the idea of playing as Covenant and shooting humans in a story-based setting such as Campaign. That's one of the things I think Bungie got exactly right in Halo 2, and one of the reasons I like Halo over other shooters. (It's easier to explain to my kids that we shoot the purple aliens than other people.)

I have no problem shooting people in an environment devoid of story where it's wacky and fun and silly. That is what MP is to me, and Firefight as well. An option to play as Elites against Marines would be neat. Fortunately, that would be optional. And you would not have to play it. Because Halo is like that.
Oh okay. I get you now.
Letters said:
They already crossed that line in ODST,
you have to kill that dude that goes to check if Sadie's father is really dead.
Oh yeah.

Gui_PT

ToyMachine228 said:
So can someone clarify what's going on with the HaloGAF Reach Beta Montage? I submitted some clips to Ssparks I believe and then someone else just a few days ago was talking about the montage and I wasn't included on the list, so I'm wondering what's going on. PM'ed him but didn't get a response.

Oh shi- that was me, I forgot to reply. Sorry.

The post I made was about the montage chapel is working on. I wanted to get the names of people who rendered videos for fellow gaffers so they could be thanked in the credits.

Chapel said he'd take about 2 weeks to get it done, but he apparently had computer problems. So I can't tell you when it'll be done.

Btw;

If you rendered a video for a fellow gaffer during the beta and you're not in the following list, PM me so I can include you.

Ssparks
ZayneH
Tashi
Wolffen
Darkflight
Spasm
electricpirate
NH Apache
Louis Wu
Pennybags
OverHeat
Mayyhem
GhaleonEB
big ander
Devin Olsen
Zeouterlimits
WJD
Domino

Gui_PT said:
Oh shi- that was me, I forgot to reply. Sorry.

The post I made was about the montage chapel is working on. I wanted to get the names of people who rendered videos for fellow gaffers so they could be thanked in the credits.

Chapel said he'd take about 2 weeks to get it done, but he apparently had computer problems. So I can't tell you when it'll be done.

No big man, long as everything is in order. I submitted...Four clips I think? Just want to make sure my clips are in there and credited to the right person, etc. If you, Ssparks or Chapel need anything from me, shoot me a PM. Thanks again guys.

GhaleonEB said:
That's fine. My point, and where we disagree, has gone sailing over your head. Again.

Does that seriously bother you somewhat? Don't feel as though you have to answer and sorry if it's annoying to be asked. I can see where someone would draw the line with MW2 as that is not sci-fi. Halo though, true that they wouldn't do it to us, but I mean it's very clearly all just fiction. Halo doesn't capture that sense of realism because of the premice it's based around.

It worries me that video games are provoking such reactions in people. At the same time I can appreciate and respect the views held by others on such matters and am indeed sorry if any offence was taken.

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
Does that seriously bother you somewhat? Don't feel as though you have to answer and sorry if it's annoying to be asked. I can see where someone would draw the line with MW2 as that is not sci-fi. Halo though, true that they wouldn't do it to us, but I mean it's very clearly all just fiction. Halo doesn't capture that sense of realism because of the premise it's based around.

It worries me that video games are provoking such reactions in people. At the same time I can appreciate and respect the views held by others on such matters and am indeed sorry if any offense was taken.
It's not a huge deal, and I don't want to make it sound like it is. But personally, I'm uncomfortable with military shooters because of their context. A while back I read the interview Gabe did with his grandfather on WWII themed games. It was an interview he did back in 2003 after Call of Duty came out. It made me realize how people who had been through war saw these games differently. I was never fond of the genre, but the interview affected me. And it made me think about my kids - who do not have a proper context for what realistic warfare is about - could be affected by it. I didn't want them running around shooting Marines. Or, for that matter, other people, at least not in a realistic way.

It's one of the reasons I'm comfortable with my kids playing Halo, and not Call of Duty. For the most part, their time with the game has been limited to just messing around together in Halo 3's Forge mode doing silly stuff with man cannons and grav lifts and mongoose and hammers. But now that Natalie is old enough to romp in campaign with me, it's a lot easier for her to understand "shoot the purple aliens" rather than "shoot the people with accents". I don't want her first serious exposure to realistic warfare to be in a video game.

Gabe's grandfather made the comment, "I think they can make games that will interest kids, that don’t have to include war. We don’t need to be killing each other in games. There’s other ways of strategizing and using the kind of skills that make those games popular."

That's stuck with me since. So I'm fine with people killing aliens, and players fighting each other in a stylized MP setting such as Halo's. But there's an aspect of something like CoD that I'm not going to bring into the house. Partly for me, and partly because I don't want my kids' first contact with war to be in games like that. Especially with actual wars going on right now that are killing people, and which I struggle to explain to them. Given the abundance of games out there, and how few I buy these days, it's not a big deal.

Lazslo

Dax01 said:
The one thing I appreciate about the Arbiter levels in Halo 2 is that we never fight against Humans - just other Covenant and Flood.
Yeah your actually totally right, if in Halo 2 you while saving the World you start the 4th level and you have to dong on the people you were just fighting along with- it would totally mess up whatever emersion the game was building. Also, I just identify a lot more with humans or Spartans which helps add depth to the story. In H2, they pulled off that switcharoo pretty good because you were fighting asshole heretics.
bobs99 ... said:
Waypoint has got some interesting new stuff up, The making of the 2 Evolution motion comics and some factsheets on Reach, the making of stuff was really interesting, I cant believe the effort they went through to bring us those things for free.
Yeah man honestly 343i really deserves a ridiculous amount of credit for Waypoint. It's an amazing free service and the performance of the software is great- the UI is slick and the quality of the videos are phenomenal both on quality of production and the speed at which it loads. Hey 343- thank you dudes
ToyMachine228 said:
Yo I just looked through my rendered video list and here are your clips (One, Two, Three, Four) just in case Chap didn't recive them; I'm pretty sure I sent then along to him but that was during the week I was rendering tons of clipz for the montage so I might of forgot, if so my bad.

GhaleonEB said:
It's not a huge deal, and I don't want to make it sound like it is. But personally, I'm uncomfortable with military shooters because of their context. A while back I read the interview Gabe did with his grandfather on WWII themed games. It was an interview he did back in 2003 after Call of Duty came out. It made me realize how people who had been through war saw these games differently. I was never fond of the genre, but the interview affected me. And it made me think about my kids - who do not have a proper context for what realistic warfare is about - could be affected by it. I didn't want them running around shooting Marines. Or, for that matter, other people, at least not in a realistic way.

It's one of the reasons I'm comfortable with my kids playing Halo, and not Call of Duty. For the most part, their time with the game has been limited to just messing around together in Halo 3's Forge mode doing silly stuff with man cannons and grav lifts and mongoose and hammers. But now that Natalie is old enough to romp in campaign with me, it's a lot easier for her to understand "shoot the purple aliens" rather than "shoot the people with accents". I don't want her first serious exposure to realistic warfare to be in a video game.

Gabe's grandfather made the comment, "I think they can make games that will interest kids, that don’t have to include war. We don’t need to be killing each other in games. There’s other ways of strategizing and using the kind of skills that make those games popular."

That's stuck with me since. So I'm fine with people killing aliens, and players fighting each other in a stylized MP setting such as Halo's. But there's an aspect of something like CoD that I'm not going to bring into the house. Partly for me, and partly because I don't want my kids' first contact with war to be in games like that. Especially with actual wars going on right now that are killing people, and which I struggle to explain to them. Given the abundance of games out there, and how few I buy these days, it's not a big deal.
This is how I feel about it.
Edit - Reading that interview now.

Top Bottom