• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

feel

GhaleonEB said:
I too am eagerly awaiting the podcast - I'm kind of surprised it's not up yet since they raised the possibility of a Monday release - but I'm sure it will hit this week sometime.

The new top story on weapon props and mo-cap process was quite interesting. I enjoy the behind the scenes vignettes like these.
That was a really fun article, thanks. The final weapon model actually looks awesome.

After the article, in that page Bnet is listing a bunch of old Frankie entries... kinda bizarre.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
I too am eagerly awaiting the podcast - I'm kind of surprised it's not up yet since they raised the possibility of a Monday release - but I'm sure it will hit this week sometime.

Lopez is bouncing it now. Assuming there aren't any last minute edits, it should be coming along shortly. Likely tomorrow.

GhaleonEB said:
The new top story on weapon props and mo-cap process was quite interesting. I enjoy the behind the scenes vignettes like these.

urk said:
Troy's what you might call a trained professional. The steps outlined below are not meant to be instructional in nature, but rather a look over the shoulder of our maniacal mocap maestro as he makes magical music by marrying metal and make believe.

Awesome alliteration is always arduous. Excellently executed. :D

Blueblur1

urk said:
Lopez is bouncing it now. Assuming there aren't any last minute edits, it should be coming along shortly. Likely tomorrow.
Looking forward to it. Hopefully there's talk about possible tweaks and/or fixes made post-beta.

Zeouterlimits said:
I'm running Win7 and it plays fine, I borrowed a copy off HydraNockz.

Waiting for a new graphics card before I dig in though, just upgraded to a 1920x1080 monitor, so the G210 isn't up to snuff.

You're one of the lucky ones I guess. Seems pretty random from the threads I've read on it. Works fine for some, not so much for others :/

Hydranockz said:
And you really think a jpeg would cause my download time to exceed a week? I must terribly suck at that thing ye kids call 'humour'.

Hey, you're from Ireland right? For all I know your internet runs on steam!
sorry :p

Kibbles

Captain Blood said:
totally was talking about the game hahaha, sorry for the poor wording.
Wow :lol When I saw $20 I shouldve immediatley known. :p Im just going to try my local Target. I believe it's $20 there too so I'm just going to go pick it up.

Striker

BladedExpert said:
There's always a CTF game on Coagulation going down. If your new laptop will be using Windows 7, look forward to a pain in the ass getting it to work :(

edit: The only way I could get it to run was with this workaround.
I wonder if folks still play Halo 1 on PC. I felt like playing Halo: CE earlier, fooled around in 2-player LAN and co-op campaign a little, and makes you really feel Reach's side a bit more. The jumps are nowhere near as floaty as Halo 2/3 and while they do have a low ceiling, Bungie made the maps according to the play-style. No need for an extreme sense of high-jumps in order to gain access to another section of the map. The speed movement is fast, and that's where the changes lie between Halo 1-3, plus Reach. I'm just thinking, raise the agility for the base trait, which means initial movements and moving from side to side quickly, and raising the jump ceiling a tad, and we'll be closer to Halo 1 than anything we've seen before. Grenades don't feel like Fisher-Price items as they do in Halo 2/3, though they don't lie on the ground for all to occupy as often as it occurred in Reach, as well as Halo 3. Quantity is the issue for Reach, not necessarily the quality.

Issue that's been discussed often, but it brought some thought as I played the greatest Halo game to date.

BladedExpert said:
Hey, you're from Ireland right? For all I know your internet runs on steam!
sorry :p
:lol :lol :lol

I've once been told by a friend that his American cousins seriously asked if there were roads in Ireland.

I think I am in the nice locale that I am not badly affected by US/Euro hosts :p

EazyB

Banned
Striker said:
Grenades don't feel like Fisher-Price items as they do in Halo 2/3, though they don't lie on the ground for all to occupy as often as it occurred in Reach, as well as Halo 3. Quantity is the issue for Reach, not necessarily the quality.
It's one thing to have powerful grenades when encounters are quick with the pistol is a super accurate 3-shot weapon and it's another thing when encounters are supposed to be longer yet the pistol is a 5 shot gun and you can lung in for a melee from across the room. It makes Reach a grenade spamming, melee lunging piece of shit that plays nothing like how crazy fast CE plays. Not to mention I don't think the short jumping made CE play any better than 2/3.

Striker

EazyB said:
It's one thing to have powerful grenades when encounters are quick with the pistol is a super accurate 3-shot weapon and it's another thing when encounters are supposed to be longer yet the pistol is a 5 shot gun and you can lung in for a melee from across the room. It makes Reach a grenade spamming, melee lunging piece of shit that plays nothing like how crazy fast CE plays. Not to mention I don't think the short jumping made CE play any better than 2/3.
You don't see a grenade plant/Pistol shot combo often in CE because how over-powered the Pistol really was. The grenades in there still wounded you to near death, and a second one will kill. Difference between it is Halo: CE's mobility is higher, and that's where I hope the tweaks are made. The running speed from CE won't return, but with Sprint enabled, it's OK for me. The two tweaks, as I said, would be raising the agility aspect, and raise the height on the player a tad more. The lower jumps in CE didn't hurt its gameplay in many maps including Sidewinder, Prisoner, Damnation, Beaver Creek, and Hang 'Em High.

As for the melee, I prefer a minor lunge over what we got with 2/3. Everything else that deals with the melee in terms of timing of double-melee and how quick you're enabled to hit one after Sprint is a different argument (and will be scoped out, thankfully).

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Hydranockz said:
I've once been told by a friend that his American cousins seriously asked if there were roads in Ireland.

I lived in Alaska for ten years. I can empathize. ;)

Edit: :lol :lol :lol @ replies

Actual questions I was asked in all seriousness by people from the lower 48 as well as international acquaintances:

"What kind of money do you use there?"
"What language did you speak there?"
"Did your house have power? How?"

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shishka said:

Alaska isn't that bad.

I mean it isn't that bad if you can handle the Malls being stuck in the 80s.

Ugly Anchor women.

Women who can't drive worth a damn, but still manage to be driving giant trucks.

And misquitos the size of F16s.

Oh, and I forgot the drunk eskimos being carted off by local law enforcement, begging you for money, or offering sexual favors for money (both male and female).

Hey You

Shishka said:
Hell I even wondered about Alaska/Northern Canadian Territories a few years back. What the hell was up there and if they actually lived in Igloos like true Canadians.:lol

snoopeasystreet said:
Lucky. My Internet line is like 2 tin cans and a piece of string.
Man is that expense? I've been looking to upgrade.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Alienshogun said:
Alaska isn't that bad.

I mean it isn't that bad if you can handle the Malls being stuck in the 80s.

Ugly Anchor women.

Women who can't drive worth a damn, but still manage to be driving giant trucks.

And misquitos the size of F16s.

Oh, and I forgot the drunk eskimos being carted off by local law enforcement, begging you for money, or offering sexual favors for money (both male and female).

I don't think that's unique to Alaska :lol

/sexism

edit: IGN Halo Personality Quiz lol

DONE_mickey_1275505064.jpg

IGN said:
ODST Michael "Mickey" Crespo
Some warriors blast their way through obstacles. Some prefer to think their way through. You do both, and that's why you're an ODST. You're as comfortable behind the stick as you are on the front lines. You're flexible, whip-smart and completely dependable. Helljumpers, baby.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1091680p1.html

Tashi0106 said:
Yea that seems likely. I would have loved to read about the ship battle. I loved the Ship battles in Fall of Reach.

The "Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole" has a couple wicked space battles.

Makes me wish there was a Halo Space RTS with naval ships.

Shishka said:

Actual questions I was asked in all seriousness by people from the lower 48 as well as international acquaintances:

North Dakota says hi.

Tashi

UltimaPooh said:
The "Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole" has a couple wicked space battles.

Niiiiice

NOKYARD

Favourite line i overheard in variety store beside a Holiday Inn.

American tourist takes a can of pop off the cooler shelf, shows it to his wife and says, "See, I told you they were all crazy up here. They have Raisin flavoured pop." :lol

Never had anyone ask the Igloo question but i convinced a guy on XBL that i don't have a car because i drive a snowmobile 12 months a year.

NOKYARD said:
Favourite line i overheard in variety store beside a Holiday Inn.

American tourist takes a can of pop off the cooler shelf, shows it to his wife and says, "See, I told you they were all crazy up here. They have Raisin flavoured pop." :lol

OT is that way --->

Rayme

Shishka said:

Ahhhh, Juneau. Land of quiet desperation.

NOKYARD

Kapura said:
Fargo? It takes place in and around Fargo, North Dakota.
Suburb of the sprawling metropolis of Winnipeg.

Where's that 'cast at? I can finally stream it to the 360 and listen while forging.

Don't want to derail the thread here but this is my first reply in this thread and I just have to say that I am so looking forward to this game. From watching that first trailer (the epic cinematic one: "Spartans on the ground!") I was hyped.

I don't think I've ever been as hyped for a game since Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox. Halo Reach has the potential to have such an emotional and epic single player campaign. And the multiplayer is bound to meet expectations given that this is Bungie.

I'm buying a 360 for this game.

big ander

Leviathan1 said:
Don't want to derail the thread here but this is my first reply in this thread and I just have to say that I am so looking forward to this game. From watching that first trailer (the epic cinematic one: "Spartans on the ground!") I was hyped.

I don't think I've ever been as hyped for a game since Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox. Halo Reach has the potential to have such an emotional and epic single player campaign. And the multiplayer is bound to meet expectations given that this is Bungie.

I'm buying a 360 for this game.
Cool man, then I hope to see you around the thread and in HaloGAF games!

UltimaPooh said:

A movie based on "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole" would be much, much better.

OT: Just finished my last day of high school!:D

Schmitty

Dax01 said:
A movie based on "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole" would be much, much better.

Where are you going to college?

Pappasman

Dax01 said:

lucky, I still have 4 days left.

Tashi

Why'd you spoiler tag that Dax? I thought it was a spoiler about that story from Halo Evolutions lol. Yes, I look at it thinking it was an actual spoiler :lol

Anywho, Congratulations.

feel

Grats Dax! That calls for a podcast flavored celebration, Brian?

edit- damn bottom of the page, gotta crank out the italics and the bold so this is not invisible. And a gif for maximum eye-catching-ness, sure.

ohj05z.jpg

Top Bottom