• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I took a film of it and was going to post it on b.net but I saw someone else in the forum there mention it. Staring at it lost me a round of Invasion. :lol

What are you guys hoping for at E3? I'm thinking Campaign trailer, Firefight demo/hands on, b.net pics/renders explosion.
Campaign information (trailer, on-stage demo) and Firefight stuff.

Merguson

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I took a film of it and was going to post it on b.net but I saw someone else in the forum there mention it. Staring at it lost me a round of Invasion. :lol

What are you guys hoping for at E3? I'm thinking Campaign trailer, Firefight demo/hands on, b.net pics/renders explosion.

Either a live demo or a recorded demo of the campaign during Microsoft's conference would be fine for me.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:
Any chance of customs?... or some MM? I have to clean up the room first but I'll be on for a while perhaps.

Customs in a few hours, back to usual Saturday evening HaloGAF Customs. People just need to show up otherwise we'll hop into matchmaking.

Gui_PT

Dani said:
Customs in a few hours, back to usual Saturday evening HaloGAF Customs. People just need to show up otherwise we'll hop into matchmaking.

Unfortunately, with my modem rebooting inexplicably every 10 minutes, I can't join you guys =\

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:

Does that usually work out well playing with people in the U.S lag wise?

Roche178 said:
I'm craving some info on new Forge even if its the same thing as Halo 3, as long as they have a Sandbox type map from the outset I'll be delighted. I just really need to see it in action at this point.

This.

Also, the spin on Infection with the safe havens sounds really fun.

JMizzlin

I can't wait for the on-stage demo. I loved it last year when Staten took to the stage and took us through a section of a level. Hopefully they do something even bigger than that this year.

I have no idea if this question can be answered, but Urk/Brian/Bungie, can you tell GAF the time your stage presentation has been dedicated in the keynote, please?

Captain Blood said:
God it would be rad if monks were in the Reach soundtrack, I hope people weren't misreading the weekly update and getting my hopes us.

Agreed. It's not Halo without monks.

Eye Drop said:
I can't wait for the on-stage demo. I loved it last year when Staten took to the stage and took us through a section of a level. Hopefully they do something even bigger than that this year.

I have no idea if this question can be answered, but Urk/Brian/Bungie, can you tell GAF the time your stage presentation has been dedicated in the keynote, please?

Agreed. It's not Halo without monks.

I don't expect that they can/want to tell that.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dirtbag said:
if they don't open with reach, they'll probably close or come really close to closing with it.

Whatever they do, I'm pretty sure Reach is one of the most important corners tones of what they're doing or saying this year outside of Natal.

voltron

Just out if interest, do we know in what capacity Luke is actually working on Reach? I assume it's a Frankie-esque role doing some writing and such.

Do we know that yet? Been curious about that for a while.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
voltron said:
Just out if interest, do we know in what capacity Luke is actually working on Reach? I assume it's a Frankie-esque role doing some writing and such.

Multiplayer Investment... Person.... I forget the exact title. He's responsible for player investment, like the Armour Customisation. You can see that in the Vidocs when he talks about what he's been working on and Urk and Brian have references him when talking about that area of the game.

voltron said:

He quenches urk's thirst....
for coffee.

voltron said:

he's a designer on the game, he had a large part in the development of the Spartan customization system and the arena. I'm not sure what else he is doing though, I'd imagine writing to use that sweet English degree.

voltron

heh.

Good for Luke. From Kotaku to working on one of the biggest franchises in gaming and certainly one of (if not the) the biggest games of '10.

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:
he's a designer on the game, he had a large part in the development of the Spartan customization system and the arena. I'm not sure what else he is doing though, I'd imagine writing to use that sweet English degree.
Player investment: the cR system, Commendations, the Armory, Challenges, Rank, the Arena, etc. And it sounds like he had a hand in bringing the Service Record into the game proper as well.

One thing he did that I really applaud was make the investment system unifying across all game modes. There's not this firewall between your rank in MP and something else: just Reach.

feel

GhaleonEB said:

Powerhouse water to propipe room jump video. And what you said plus the almost certain narrated Campaign playthrough.

edit- mmm, campaign thing mentioned already, I didn't refresh and tought your post was the latest on halogaf.

Tashi0106 said:
I was wondering why you had about 10 posts per page. Now I know.
I wanted to say something about that these past days... :lol he was probably racing for membership so he could get wilder on E3 without fearing the perma.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
I wanted to say something about that these past days... :lol he was probably racing for membership so he could get wilder on E3 without fearing the perma.

:lol :lol Yea man, I'm a Rurouni Kenshin fan so I notice that avatar every time. I've been seeing it like every other post lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
:lol :lol Yea man, I'm a Rurouni Kenshin fan so I notice that avatar every time. I've been seeing it like every other post lol.

It hasn't just been this thread either, although this is "home base" for me. :D

I'm not worried about being banned, I have no intention of being a Dbag around here. I just wanted to shuck that damned junior member tag. :lol

Glad you are a fan of Kenshin, it is truly a fantastic series.

-viper-

Banned
I know this is about the MP beta but this is a question mainly relevant to the SP: Is the ODST health system in Halo Reach? I hope not. I HATE IT.

-viper- said:
I know this is about the MP beta but this is a question mainly relevant to the SP: Is the ODST health system in Halo Reach? I hope not. I HATE IT.
A modified version, yes. Health will now recharge a third of the way, but you need to pick up a health pack to completely regenerate. Luckily they got rid of the red screen and annoying beeping though.

-viper-

Banned
FilthyLies said:
A modified version, yes. Health will now recharge a third of the way, but you need to pick up a health pack to completely regenerate. Luckily they got rid of the red screen and annoying beeping though.
Bah.

Collecting health packs is so yesterday. :p

GhaleonEB

-viper- said:
Bah.

I think the health pack system is a decided step backward for the series as well. Though I think it will make a bigger difference in campaign than MP.

feel

GhaleonEB said:
I think the health pack system is a decided step backward for the series as well. Though I think it will make a bigger difference in campaign than MP.
Maybe for MP, but for SP IMO it's awesome, at least for nostalgia's sake. Some of my greatest memories of Halo CE involve clearing some impossible checkpoint on Legendary that was saved when I was on my last red bar.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I like the need for health packs personally. Granted, playing against anyone who is good, the moment your shields are down you will be dead to a headshot anyway. That said, it makes for a better sense of having to play carefully, and knowing where the next med kid will be and it gives a better opportunity for assists. I like that you can't just hide around a corner and be "all better."

That's just me though, and I'm positive I'm in the minority.

Striker

-viper- said:
Bah.

They're scattered throughout the map, but really, it's not a big issue. I have played Halo LANS in CE and none of the multiplayer maps, nor was the gameplay, limited because of health packs or how you had lower shields, either red or yellow. It did make you strategize more, especially for an on-coming battle with more than one opponent.

GhaleonEB said:

Personally I like it. It changes the way I play. With health packs and armor abilities I'm fighting more intelligently and thinking about survival rather than just running into every room guns blazing hoping to get lucky.

Top Bottom