• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
I didn't go into forge with your map and see how you did it but you should have all your spawns neutral. Make a respawn zone for blue team and an anti respawn zone for red team in blue base and do the same for red base.

Then you can just put in a couple initial spawns for each team and the rest of the team members will spawn next to them at the start.

That way teams aren't locked down to certain spawns.
The spawn set up I used will achieve the same thing - is there a best practices reason neutral spawns and hard spawn zones operate better?

I had started out using neutral ones, because I was going to have a few neutral spawn zones along the center, but late in the spawn placement design decided to eliminate the overlap between the team spawns for several reasons, the main one being the size of the map. I essentially designed the spawns in layers: base and surrounding spawns, a set of locations somewhat further out from base, and a set much further away for when the base is getting stormed/pounded. But the center of the map is open enough that I don't want anyone spawning out there, so all spawns are along each team's own side of the map, wrapping from the outside approach (with the pyramid on the side), to the base, under it, and over to the quarry. There's no overlap. This should also help with player orientation as they will always spawn on one side, since I didn't have any budget for lights to marks the sides of the map.

I could do the same thing using neutral spawns and the spawn influencer zones if there's a reason it would work better, I'm a bit ignorant on that space atm.

GhaleonEB said:
The spawn set up I used will achieve the same thing - is there a best practices reason neutral spawns and hard spawn zones operate better?

I had started out using neutral ones, because I was going to have a few neutral spawn zones along the center, but late in the spawn placement design decided to eliminate the overlap between the team spawns for several reasons, the main one being the size of the map. I essentially designed the spawns in layers: base and surrounding spawns, a set of locations somewhat further out from base, and a set much further away for when the base is getting stormed/pounded. But the center of the map is open enough that I don't want anyone spawning out there, so all spawns are along each team's own side of the map, wrapping from the outside approach (with the pyramid on the side), to the base, under it, and over to the quarry. There's no overlap. This should also help with player orientation as they will always spawn on one side, since I didn't have any budget for lights to marks the sides of the map.

I could do the same thing using neutral spawns and the spawn influencer zones if there's a reason it would work better, I'm a bit ignorant on that space atm.
Sort of. It's mainly a time saver, so you don't have to mess with 50+ individual spawn settings. But it's always good to have neutral spawns in the possible event that a team is able to push and completely dominate the other team's base/side. I believe it's easier/better for the game to look for better spawn placement if they are all set to neutral. I don't have any real data to back this up, but based on how Bungie sets up their own spawns (insert "Bungie's spawns suk" comment), that's the conclusion I've come to.

I've got your map dowloaded, but time has prevented me from taking a good look at it. I'll definitely be back or hit you up online if I see something that could use some tweaking. And I'm always down for some playing. :D

Raide

In the Safe Havens gametype, does the Safe Haven keep looping until the time/score is reached?

Do you need to set the spawn order/timers to achieve this and how do you get it to restart over and over?

Has anyone had an issue with a Forge map reverting to an earlier state?

I went back into mine and most of my work isn't there anymore...I'm wondering if it's an error on my end or some other issue.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Sort of. It's mainly a time saver, so you don't have to mess with 50+ individual spawn settings. But it's always good to have neutral spawns in the possible event that a team is able to push and completely dominate the other team's base/side. I believe it's easier/better for the game to look for better spawn placement if they are all set to neutral. I don't have any real data to back this up, but based on how Bungie sets up their own spawns (insert "Bungie's spawns suk" comment), that's the conclusion I've come to.

I've got your map dowloaded, but time has prevented me from taking a good look at it. I'll definitely be back or hit you up online if I see something that could use some tweaking. And I'm always down for some playing. :D
That makes sense. I think the setup I have will achieve the same goal, but a few more play tests will probably be needed to see how it works, and if it doesn't work out so hot I'll change it over. But I'll use the neutral spawn/spawn zones combination on the next map from the get-go either way, so thanks for the advice.

I've got a bin list of small (and one major) tweaks to the map that I'm waiting to put in place until the current iteration is beat up a touch more. Oh what I'd do for another $1,000 in budget. :lol

I'm debating between trying my hand at an asymmetric map, or doing something kind of crazy (bordering on absurd) to the Gulch in symmetrical fashion.

Edit: I just settled on the latter. Might try to whip up a massed out version over the weekend.

Raide

electricpirate said:
Just sent my map into HBO's contest, hopefully I get some feedback out of it at least :).

Same. :D

Which map did you submit? Something new?

I finally redid Havok and tweaked a few more bits, plus added the spawns and Stockpile stuff.

Havok Map

If people can try it out and see what you think, that would be awesome. More feedback would be great!

Raide said:

I finally redid Havok and tweaked a few more bits, plus added the spawns and Stockpile stuff.

Havok Map

If people can try it out and see what you think, that would be awesome. More feedback would be great!

Nah, I submitted Bounce. I just started designing my new project, so it'll probably be a bit before I get something playable out of it.

I'll see if I can try havok or some of your other stuff at the LAN this weekend :).

NOKYARD

betweenthewheels said:
You mean vanishing from the face of the earth, including from the temporary files list of visiting players. Then the answer is yes. Save often. Save AS, with the version number in the description, even more often.

electricpirate said:
I'm going to a big Reach LAN tomorrow, anyone have any maps that are ready for testing with a large number of players?
Alaranjado Terminal is ready to go.

I added a few tweaks to the spawns and to assist in navigation. I found some players who were unfamiliar with the map did not realize the hangar was a playable space in Phase 2 so i had to devise a method to direct them to the 3 teleporters which are revealed at the end of phase 1.

Phase 1 Objective Alpha

Solution: i made faux waypoints hover over the center of the teleporters by assigning the tunnel pieces which cover the 3 teleporters to inv_objective(spawn order 2) with a size of 0,0,0. They show up as objective markers which direct you to the actual objectives. When you pass through the teleporters the real Phase 2 objectives are clearly visible.

Raide

electricpirate said:
Nah, I submitted Bounce. I just started designing my new project, so it'll probably be a bit before I get something playable out of it.

I'll see if I can try havok or some of your other stuff at the LAN this weekend :).

I was about to suggest Bounce, really good map and well worth people playing more of.

I will tweak DeathTrap again, just to correct a few things, then upload it again. I also have my CTF map too.

I think I might get Bungie.pro, since I am always having to delete maps just to add new ones.

MrBig

betweenthewheels said:

I went back into mine and most of my work isn't there anymore...I'm wondering if it's an error on my end or some other issue.

If you save and then end the game it will still be on the cached version from before you saved. Reload it and it will be how it was when you saved.

It's a nice feature that can save a lot of peoples works, but no one knows about it so they thinks its a problem.

NH Apache

Banned
NOKYARD said:
First, you convince Microsoft there is a market for further Halo games...

:D

:lol

Wow, I'm about to go grammar nazi on myself, holy crap.

Raide said:

Havok Map

Some quick things:

-No killzones/safe zone - people would be able to tromp all over Forge World.

-The non-functioning teleports are there for looks only, right?

-I love symmetrical, color coded maps.

-For the initial team spawn, with 4 teams, have you thought about something to prevent initial spawn kills/crazy grenade throwing?(like glass on the side of the spawn area)

-For team games, like Mr. Big stated earlier, I would nix the team respawns and go with neutral only because of map size and the potential spawn slaughter. I think it works in Ghals map because of the size and objective based gameplay, but not for slayer at least on Havok.

-Between Blue and Orange base, there is a flag stand that you forgot to put to "team only"

-2 Plasma repeaters and 2 concussion rifles only?

-I'm interested to see in gameplay how having all four healthpacks in the level on the same column creates crazy "havok."

Other than these small things, I think you are ready to submit. If you guys play a match on it, save the game, I really want to see how it plays.

I really want to make Sunday, but I think the misses wants to have people over, so I'd be willing to run through maps tonight or tomorrow night if anyone is up for it.

Raide

NH Apache said:
:lol
Some quick things:

-No killzones/safe zone - people would be able to tromp all over Forge World.

-The non-functioning teleports are there for looks only, right?

-I love symmetrical, color coded maps.

-For the initial team spawn, with 4 teams, have you thought about something to prevent initial spawn kills/crazy grenade throwing?(like glass on the side of the spawn area)

-For team games, like Mr. Big stated earlier, I would nix the team respawns and go with neutral only because of map size and the potential spawn slaughter. I think it works in Ghals map because of the size and objective based gameplay, but not for slayer at least on Havok.

-Between Blue and Orange base, there is a flag stand that you forgot to put to "team only"

-2 Plasma repeaters and 2 concussion rifles only?

-I'm interested to see in gameplay how having all four healthpacks in the level on the same column creates crazy "havok."

Other than these small things, I think you are ready to submit. If you guys play a match on it, save the game, I really want to see how it plays.

I really want to make Sunday, but I think the misses wants to have people over, so I'd be willing to run through maps tonight or tomorrow night if anyone is up for it.

Thanks for the feedback.

1) I will add some soft barriers around.

2) Teleports work. I like to put hidden things around my map. :lol

3) I seem to always make symmetrical maps and getting them all coded right just feels like the thing to do.

4) Hrmm...I might put barriers around each of the spawns, just to prevent spamming.

5) So keep the team initial spawns and change the rest to neutral?

6) I am really poor at weapon placements and also picking out which weapons to use. I picked the Conc Rifles, mainly due to the bounce damage and the map is made of edges. :lol I will have to pick out a weapon set and pick the right spots for them.

7) I am trying to build a map around forcing places to head towards each other. No real places to camp and the map is all heading upwards with only 1 major vantage spot.

NH Apache

Banned
Raide said:
Thanks for the feedback.

1) I will add some soft barriers around.

2) Teleports work. I like to put hidden things around my map. :lol

3) I seem to always make symmetrical maps and getting them all coded right just feels like the thing to do.

4) Hrmm...I might put barriers around each of the spawns, just to prevent spamming.

5) So keep the team initial spawns and change the rest to neutral?

6) I am really poor at weapon placements and also picking out which weapons to use. I picked the Conc Rifles, mainly due to the bounce damage and the map is made of edges. :lol I will have to pick out a weapon set and pick the right spots for them.

7) I am trying to build a map around forcing places to head towards each other. No real places to camp and the map is all heading upwards with only 1 major vantage spot.

2- I couldn't find them! Ugh, I need to go back and look harder

5- Yup

MrBig

Don't just put soft barriers, also put a safe zone around your map in case someone glitches beyond the barriers.

Raide

NH Apache said:
2- I couldn't find them! Ugh, I need to go back and look harder

5- Yup

MrBig said:
Don't just put soft barriers, also put a safe zone around your map in case someone glitches beyond the barriers.

I have put a pretty generous Safe Zone around the map, so that should stop things from getting messy. :lol

I have made the few suggested tweaks, let me know what you think.

Edit: Fixed Death Trap. Sorted out the power weapons floating like rocks when you swapped them out and fixed the slightly high areas that bumped you when you shot over them in a man-cannon. :lol

-Yeti said:
No comments on my map probably means it doesn't look interesting enough. :lol

:(

The water one?

It helps a LOT if you at least put a link to your map in your post. That way we can click it and have it download to our Xbox right there, as opposed to searching through the file share system and trying to remember maps to download.

timetokill said:
The water one?

It helps a LOT if you at least put a link to your map in your post. That way we can click it and have it download to our Xbox right there, as opposed to searching through the file share system and trying to remember maps to download.

No, it was just a picture showing the progress of my map.

I should probably stop doing that and just wait until I'm actually done with it to post it.

My bad.

Have been busy all week so haven't really been able to get much testing done or play too much Halo. Have had to catch up with all the other stuff.
Just got my inspiration for my next map and hopefully will build on it. The basic concept is loosely based around Boarding Action but will be my interpretation of it. Personally I'm not a big fan of exact remakes as often they are not as good and people enjoy wearing their rose-tinted glasses.

Hugbot

So, Forge reverted back to an old save on my map. The very initial one, with literally one piece set up as a guideline on where everything goes. Seeing as I spent more time than I'd like to admit getting all the geometry in the map down and the only reason I loaded it up was to create a backup save, I'm pretty pissed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to recover it, if that's even possible? I've loaded it from the menu, loaded another map and then re-loaded it, cursed at it, everything I can think of but nada. I'd like to not have to start from basically scratch.

NH Apache

Banned
Hugbot said:
So, Forge reverted back to an old save on my map. The very initial one, with literally one piece set up as a guideline on where everything goes. Seeing as I spent more time than I'd like to admit getting all the geometry in the map down and the only reason I loaded it up was to create a backup save, I'm pretty pissed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to recover it, if that's even possible? I've loaded it from the menu, loaded another map and then re-loaded it, cursed at it, everything I can think of but nada. I'd like to not have to start from basically scratch.

That sucks. I try and keep separate copies in my fileshare and local.

I don't know of any way to recover or why it does it. Maybe someone official can chime in.

Kapura

Banned
Hugbot said:

Check your local history for a version you were working on earlier. If you haven't played too much, you might find a copy there. I have no idea why forge just deletes maps, but I lost three maps via this. I was able to recover two of them through recent histories, but not the third. RIP Bridge Crossing.

Well, I caved and started work on Sanguine 2.0. Building a base that I liked, that was interesting, that wasn't entirely ugly, and protected its inhabitants from sniper fire while being assaultable on foot was kinda hard.

The thought of doing it a second time and trying to make it as symmetrical as possible makes me ill.

sanguine2-1.jpg

sanguine21.jpg

sanguine22.jpg

Base still has 1 sniper rifle, 1 DMR, 1 Needle Rifle, 1 Plasma Pistol, 1 Magnum, 1 Plasma Repeater, and a health pack.

Gowans

Any forge customs going on tonight? Gona be bumming around for the next few hours.

Msg me on live if there's anything happening.

Hugbot said:

It's been happening to a lot of people.

Seriously guys -- use Save As and use it often. Make multiple copies of your maps.

Raide

Shake Appeal said:
Well, I caved and started work on Sanguine 2.0. Building a base that I liked, that was interesting, that wasn't entirely ugly, and protected its inhabitants from sniper fire while being assaultable on foot was kinda hard.

The thought of doing it a second time and trying to make it as symmetrical as possible makes me ill.

I always find building symmetrical maps on ground level gives me problems. I get issues with the uneven terrain, especially when it comes to making the bases but also making sure that the cover and surroundings are even for both sides.

Raide said:
I always find building symmetrical maps on ground level gives me problems. I get issues with the uneven terrain, especially when it comes to making the bases but also making sure that the cover and surroundings are even for both sides.
Yeah, I'm a bit worried because the hill to the left in the first picture is much less pronounced at the other end of Hemorrhage. That map is only vaguely symmetrical. There is so much shit to contend with, and the sight lines for snipers are pretty different on either side. In general, I think blue team is at a disadvantage.

Raide

Shake Appeal said:
Yeah, I'm a bit worried because the hill to the left in the first picture is much less pronounced at the other end of Hemorrhage. That map is only vaguely symmetrical. There is so much shit to contend with, and the sight lines for snipers are pretty different on either side. In general, I think blue team is at a disadvantage.

Once we get a few playtests from the map, it will start to show if there is an imbalance for one side. You could possibly tweak it slightly by having weapons closer or providing a bit more cover.

Will be good to see the map once you have finished. :D

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
I started my testing of an idea yesterday, which involved a structure placed in the center of the map, and quickly gave it up because the terrain is not anywhere near symmetrical out there, nor the sides of the map. Very hard map to customize in symmetrical fashion.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
I started my testing of an idea yesterday, which involved a structure placed in the center of the map, and quickly gave it up because the terrain is not anywhere near symmetrical out there, nor the sides of the map. Very hard map to customize in symmetrical fashion.

I guess thats the reason most of my maps end up floating in space. :lol Most of my maps also end up being symmetrical Deathmatch style maps, since I am influenced by my years of playing Doom and Quake. :D

I always have issues when it comes to spacing out large scale maps, since it is hard to think about sight lines and combat when the scale is so big.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

I've made some progress on the "hill" for the Valhalla inspired experiment. Unfortunately the uneven terrain and layout is something that must be tolerated.

jonah777

Anyone else having problems with grav lifts? They seem to just weaken randomly. The lifts at red base on my map don't lift the player onto the top of the base anymore, but they worked just fine not that long ago. Blue base lifts are fine.

Can anyone try it out (download most recent version) and let me know if you have any ideas? I'm wondering if it's a physics-based thing due to the cliff/waterfall behind red base(?).

cazosozey

jonah777 said:
Anyone else having problems with grav lifts? They seem to just weaken randomly. The lifts at red base on my map don't lift the player onto the top of the base anymore, but they worked just fine not that long ago. Blue base lifts are fine.

Can anyone try it out (download most recent version) and let me know if you have any ideas? I'm wondering if it's a physics-based thing due to the cliff/waterfall behind red base(?).

I had this problem within forge when placing them, but it would fix when I went to start new round. Not sure what would cause it during gameplay though.

Hugbot

Kapura said:
Check your local history for a version you were working on earlier. If you haven't played too much, you might find a copy there. I have no idea why forge just deletes maps, but I lost three maps via this. I was able to recover two of them through recent histories, but not the third. RIP Bridge Crossing.
Yeah, no luck. Just spent a hunk of time rebuilding, I'm about a quarter done replacing everything. At least this is giving me a chance to make optimization changes, use fewer pieces and work out a few problem spots I was considering. Still frustrated but it'll come together again.

timetokill said:
It's been happening to a lot of people.

Seriously guys -- use Save As and use it often. Make multiple copies of your maps.
The worst part is that the only reason I loaded the map up was to make a backup copy and throw the backup on my file save.

zumphry

Banned
Really wish we would've been able to make pools of things like lava, or something in Forge World. Giant Squishy Pool of Water doesn't have the same ring to it as Giant Flaming Pit of Lava.

And I doubt I'll be able to use a safe zone/soft kill zone inside a kill ball so that there's a walkway that goes through the "lava". :|

Where's my sketches for the rest of my levels at? My filing system of "oh its under that pile of trash" has failed me for the first time!

Kapura

Banned
Got an image of my new map, which is coming in hot. It's kind of a blend of Desolate and Derelict, with a smattering of Wizard for good measure. I'm done with geometry, bar some slight fiddlings, and now I'm working on spawns. I'm planning to set it up, at least initially, for only Slayer, Flag, and Oddball, unless somebody in this thread requests it be set up for another gametype.

Dilapidated.jpg

MrBig

Kapura said:
Got an image of my new map, which is coming in hot. It's kind of a blend of Desolate and Derelict, with a smattering of Wizard for good measure. I'm done with geometry, bar some slight fiddlings, and now I'm working on spawns. I'm planning to set it up, at least initially, for only Slayer, Flag, and Oddball, unless somebody in this thread requests it be set up for another gametype.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/kapuraIII/Forgeries/Dilapidated.jpg[/IMG]
Looks pretty good. Hows the framerate? A lot of small maps like that have problems.

Kapura said:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/kapuraIII/Forgeries/Dilapidated.jpg

That looks like a great arena Kapura - although it wierdly reminds me of Assembly, but not pants. :)

Thanks for all the map suggestions everyone, unfortunately I was only able to get Alanjandaro terminal in from my long list of games I wanted to try at the LAN. Some quick thoughts,

The initial rush is one of the coolest of any invasion game I have ever played. Banshees and falcons taking to the sky under heavy fire was awesome, and everyone in the room was really impressed.

There were some issues taking the first objective though, it may have been a team balance issue, but the first objective seemed crazy hard to grab. We also ended up getting 2 banshees flying around in the terminal which just made grabbing the objectives pretty hard. I managed to lodge one of the banshees faced at an objective where I just started spamming fuel rods into it.

ON the next round we took the objectives when the defense was sleeping, and there was some confusion about the start of the second round and those teleporters. I think seeing all of those objective markers was confusing people.

Last round was really cool, there was some confusion about "How do we get the bomb carrier there!?!?" till we realized carrier could get in the banshees. Lots of dogfighting, and just a cool way to end the map.

Sorry I can't give you more detailed stuff, but unbalanced teams made it hard to judge.

Top Bottom