• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

MarshMellow96 said:
GAF, how do you get objects perfectly aligned? I want to make a totally flat surface with the 5x5 flat but I'm a little off on each one.

The trick is to put everything in the same rounded coordinates.

After you get a piece in place, hit B-> edit coordinates. This will round the coordinates of your piece to the nearest .1. Do this across your map (using small adjustments as you go if it rounds the wrong way) and it will be perfectly smooth and lined up pixel perfect.

NOKYARD said:
See, they should have talked to me first. :lol

I would have suggested they include a default "Autosave" file slot in the map list and leave our files alone. The new system severely penalizes people who are organized. In Halo 3 i knew EXACTLY what was in each version of a map, i could invite people in to look around without having a panic attack, and i could mess around with a design change knowing fully well that i could quit without saving to erase the experimental changes. Now, i never know exactly what is going to be in a map file when go back to it.

Shall i coin a new term? Forge Roulette.

I've been lucky so far, except when I was playing around with Headhunter settings and deleted a base right before a customs testing session :| That was frustrating.

Ohh Nok, BTW, I forgot to mention it but I threw up a film of our game on Alenjandaro for you if you want to check it out. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6204687&player=electricpirate

Raide

Argg...I copied over a map with another map. No idea how I managed that. Tried to load the map and it just had the name ForgeWorld. Just 2 or 3 blocks stuck together. :(

Have to do it again now.

Forge roulette is a great name for it. I've been fortunate to only lose my gametype-specific stuff when doing Château... but it still sucks having to redo all those stupid spawn boxes and flag points and stuff.

Speaking of which I really need to get those tested! :D I made a few other minor updates to the map (gave a tiny bit of cover to the overlook platform) and that's about it. I think it's basically ready for primetime, barring any issues coming up from playtesting.

Raide

timetokill said:
Forge roulette is a great name for it. I've been fortunate to only lose my gametype-specific stuff when doing Château... but it still sucks having to redo all those stupid spawn boxes and flag points and stuff.

Speaking of which I really need to get those tested! :D I made a few other minor updates to the map (gave a tiny bit of cover to the overlook platform) and that's about it. I think it's basically ready for primetime, barring any issues coming up from playtesting.

Fire it into your FileShare and I will give it a run through. :D

Raide

timetokill said:
Gonna submit to this for sure!!

ForgeGAF Customs should be useful for everybody entering, since you have to have a saved film showing the gametype you want being played on it correctly.

I am more than happy to run through ForgeGAF maps. Since the competition is US only, I won't be able to enter anyway.

Raide said:
I am more than happy to run through ForgeGAF maps. Since the competition is US only, I won't be able to enter anyway.

Hm, wonder if one of us can enter in your map for you, and then send you the Xbox if you win.

Also, the contest almost requires you to get Bungie Pro. Your submission has to have:
- The map
- 3 screenshots
- video of the map in action

All on your file share during the specified time (a couple weeks).

So if you want anything else up there (or if you want to enter twice) you will have to get Pro.

Raide

timetokill said:
Hm, wonder if one of us can enter in your map for you, and then send you the Xbox if you win.

Also, the contest almost requires you to get Bungie Pro. Your submission has to have:
- The map
- 3 screenshots
- video of the map in action

All on your file share during the specified time (a couple weeks).

So if you want anything else up there (or if you want to enter twice) you will have to get Pro.

I guess that would work. Hopefully they continue to have Forge stuff and open it a little wider.

Actually, ForgeGAF, I have a question for you.

Do you know if it is possible to make reversed Safe Havens? i.e. they actually do the "Out of Bounds" countdown if you enter them? I tried adding Soft Kill with a spawn timer but the zone still is there, even if it is invisible.

I am currently trying to work on a Battle Royale Map and Gametype, with the map zones randomly becoming the kill zones. :D

Raide said:
I am currently trying to work on a Battle Royale Map and Gametype, with the map zones randomly becoming the kill zones. :D

That sounds AWESOME. I don't know about it, but I'd be willing to help you test it. Love Battle Royale.

Raide

timetokill said:
That sounds AWESOME. I don't know about it, but I'd be willing to help you test it. Love Battle Royale.

I have basically boxed off the middle island, adding some basic rock walkways but I need to find out about the Kill Zones first. If I can get them working, I split the map into sections and then have them move about to get people to move or die!

Weapons will either be hidden really well or if the old "Random Weapons" option is still in, that would be a great option too.

zumphry

Banned
Nice. Finally getting some work done on my map. Both hating and loving having to get creative with forge pieces to make the Overshield/Act Camo outposts smaller due to 4x4 pieces being to big for them.

Still sucks having to deal with rocks still being in the ground, or trees. Plus having to sketch the map again due to both losing the original sketch and due to having to plan it out based around Alaska.

O57o6.jpg

Had a surprisingly good reaction to my map Yeti Bay tonight. Played with fellow Gaffers Zayne, wwm0nkey, CBBQ, and some others whose names slip my mind. One thing I discovered was that the Banshee was way overpowering on that map, so it is now removed. Had a problem with Capture plates showing up in slayer, so that is now fixed as well. I was surprised that my spawns weren't completely borked, although it was a bit predictable where they would spawn when I was owning with the Banshee. Also, I noticed that people didn't find the rockets, so I may move them to a more noticeable area. Same goes for Laser, but I want to keep it where its at. (Rockets were at the left of Blue, right of Red in between two column pieces. Laser was on the huge rock below the center Man Cannon bridge.

Anyway, those of you who have played it, would you kindly post some feedback? It will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: And thanks so much guys. I'm so glad I finally got to test my map out a little. If it gets more good feedback, I'll probably post it in the Contest.

Azar

Raide said:
I have basically boxed off the middle island, adding some basic rock walkways but I need to find out about the Kill Zones first. If I can get them working, I split the map into sections and then have them move about to get people to move or die!

Weapons will either be hidden really well or if the old "Random Weapons" option is still in, that would be a great option too.
Epic. I hope it works. Get equipped with: frying pan

Hazimov

Hi guys,

I didn't know about this thread.. so I posted my map on the ot earlier this week :(

I hope you check this map out :)

Hazimov
Panorama
Gametypes Supported:All gametypes except Invasion and Race
Players Supported:4-12

Hazimov said:
I finished working on this piece on Sep. 22nd, after several iterations to polish and balance the map I hereby present to you my first creation using Forge 2.0, Panorama :)

A midsized map with a variety of open combat spaces as well as covered areas. Jet-packing is indescribably fun in this map variant!

Perfect for:

* Team Headhunters
* Team Oddball
* Team Slayer
* One flag CTF
* Territories
* Crazy King

w7eglf.jpg

Download from Bungie.net

If you like this content, please help spreading it by clicking on Facebook and Twitter sharing buttons in my website. :)

http://sindan.me/

I'm currently putting the final touches on small sized map (similar to Beaver Creek) and I'll be posting it in the coming few days after I test it out.

Hazimov
Panorama
Gametypes Supported:All gametypes except Invasion and Race
Players Supported:4-12

Working on a Valhalla remake in Hemorrhage. Hopefully everything goes according to keikaku and I'll have a rough edit up by the end of the week.

NOKYARD

Do you have this posted in your file-share?
The File Set always contains the latest version.

Today's Fixes:
Now it's much easier for the attackers to find their way in by removing 3 of the top window panels. Once in, the Phase 1 objective has been turned 180 degrees for better player movement. Now the attackers move North for Phases 1 and 2, then the game turns them South once they grab the bomb, reinforcing the game's intended "get in, then get out fast" style of play.

Removed the lower Shade Phase 2 spawn which locks you out of the hangar. The 2 vehicle ramps were moved up so now all four Phase 3 Attacker vehicles are on the bomb platform.

Moved all Phase 2 & 3 spawns for better flow and player information. Attackers, Phase 2 keeps you in the hangar since you have already captured it and places you in a more defensive position. Phase 3 places you near 2 vehicle sources. Defenders, all three Phase 2 spawns directly face the hangar teleporters. I noticed in electricpirate's film that some of the defenders were walking around aimlessly, now they will know exactly where to go.

Moved the Phase 3 objective comm array within better visual range and focused the initial loadout cameras on it.

Raide

Some Château Feedback.

I would do a final run through and snap co-ordinates to objects,. just to tidy up the edges and textures etc.

I think the back Dish platform seems unnecessary. The rock formation actually looks look and you save yourself those few blocks as well, also it will cut down any possible slowdown you might get will full teams. You could just remove the boxes and add 2 open Dishes there. I tried it out and it blends in well with the other rock formations you have.

You need to block off the 2 raised areas that are just under the Yellow Spawn. You can still crouch and get in there. Best to just pop over a box to keep it clean.

Would also be tempted to extend those far edge blocks a bit more. Looking at the base, the right hand side, you can still sneak around. Either block them further or just add Soft Kill Zones.

Overall...I think you have it! Really nice map and good to see you have made changes based on suggestions. Will be fun to play the other gametypes during GAF customs.

Raide said:
Some Château Feedback.

I would do a final run through and snap co-ordinates to objects,. just to tidy up the edges and textures etc.

I think the back Dish platform seems unnecessary. The rock formation actually looks look and you save yourself those few blocks as well, also it will cut down any possible slowdown you might get will full teams. You could just remove the boxes and add 2 open Dishes there. I tried it out and it blends in well with the other rock formations you have.

You need to block off the 2 raised areas that are just under the Yellow Spawn. You can still crouch and get in there. Best to just pop over a box to keep it clean.

Would also be tempted to extend those far edge blocks a bit more. Looking at the base, the right hand side, you can still sneak around. Either block them further or just add Soft Kill Zones.

Overall...I think you have it! Really nice map and good to see you have made changes based on suggestions. Will be fun to play the other gametypes during GAF customs.

Thanks for the feedback! Some questions

-- The back dish platform, do you mean the one that is capping the top of the rounded glass structure in the back of the structure? Is that what you're referring to as the boxes as well? I kind of like that set up just because it's a nice visual touch and it adds a bit of grandness to it. How did you try the two open dishes? Very interesting comment though, if you're talking about what I think you are -- unexpected :)

-- Hm, thought I got all the crouch areas, I'll take another look, thanks!

-- As far as the sides, did you give it a shot in "custom game" so the kill fields would take effect? you shouldn't be able to get around them without triggering the soft kill field, and if you go to the sides of the building it's hard kill. I'll do another check and maybe extend those out as well to help convey that, but overall I don't think it's exploitable at its current state.

I'll take a look and make some updates if needed, and post it up later today.

Raide

timetokill said:
Thanks for the feedback! Some questions

-- The back dish platform, do you mean the one that is capping the top of the rounded glass structure in the back of the structure? Is that what you're referring to as the boxes as well? I kind of like that set up just because it's a nice visual touch and it adds a bit of grandness to it. How did you try the two open dishes? Very interesting comment though, if you're talking about what I think you are -- unexpected :)

-- Hm, thought I got all the crouch areas, I'll take another look, thanks!

-- As far as the sides, did you give it a shot in "custom game" so the kill fields would take effect? you shouldn't be able to get around them without triggering the soft kill field, and if you go to the sides of the building it's hard kill. I'll do another check and maybe extend those out as well to help convey that, but overall I don't think it's exploitable at its current state.

I'll take a look and make some updates if needed, and post it up later today.

At the back of the map, in the middle. You have a half dish and then about 6 or so blocks in a semi-circle. If you go up there you get Soft Kill timer. I got rid of the boxes and lowered it and added a second dish to make it a bit larger. Seems like a cool walkway if you can time your jump correctly. Gives players another option to the man-cannon, if they can get the jump right. :D

Only 2 crouch areas and you cannot get too far but it would be annoying to have people hiding under there with a bomb or skull. :lol

I will try with a custom game then to check all the kill fields, just to make sure all is good.

GhaleonEB

UltimaPooh said:
Working on a Valhalla remake in Hemorrhage. Hopefully everything goes according to keikaku and I'll have a rough edit up by the end of the week.
I also settled on the gulch for my next map, though I decided to try something different than Gulch/Valhalla with it. But given my record so far it won't work and I'll end up doing something else with it entirely. :lol

vhfive

GhaleonEB said:
I also settled on the gulch for my next map, though I decided to try something different than Gulch/Valhalla with it. But given my record so far it won't work and I'll end up doing something else with it entirely. :lol
The problem with the canyon is that its just to damn big. I've actually started a map where I took the middle third and walled it out from the rest. I then got distracted by another idea but I do plan to go back to it at some point.

is it weird that I have about 5 maps I have put significant time into but never finished. :p

GhaleonEB

vhfive said:
The problem with the canyon is that its just to damn big. I've actually started a map where I took the middle third and walled it out from the rest. I then got distracted by another idea but I do plan to go back to it at some point.

is it weird that I have about 5 maps I have put significant time into but never finished. :p
Let's just say that while my overall design-to-be doesn't resemble Valhalla, the map is currently saved under the name, Wallhalla. :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A Valhalla remake is simply impossible. The terrain is simply incompatible and any attempts at a perfect remake will be met with obvious failure. It's not possible. I've downloaded every "remake" out there and not one of them comes close.

However, I have been working on a Valhalla style map for quite some time. Replacing the boring ass Hemorrage base with something much more familar. Additionally, I've significantly changed the terrain and layout to significantly alter the sight lines and flow of the Hemorrage play area.

The result is map that plays nothing like Hemorrage or Valhalla but something unique. It's still under construction, I still need to finish one of the bases and tighten up the hill. No downloads yet but I've been playtesting the map each HaloGAF Customs so feel free to catch it there.

I have issues copying the base - I find it extremely hard replicating things I've made.

Dani said:
A Valhalla remake is simply impossible. The terrain is simply incompatible and any attempts at a perfect remake will be met with obvious failure. It's not possible. I've downloaded every "remake" out there and not one of them comes close.

It is impossible especially without a good terrain palette instead of just a bunch of sea rocks. So it'll be a re-imagining of sorts. The hill is impossible to recreate, but I think I have a nice twist with it involving a tunnel. It'll take sometime and thinking to get it close to Valhalla.

GhaleonEB

UltimaPooh said:
It is impossible especially without a good terrain palette instead of just a bunch of sea rocks. So it'll be a re-imagining of sorts. The hill is impossible to recreate, but I think I have a nice twist with it involving a tunnel. It'll take sometime and thinking to get it close to Valhalla.
Heh - that was exactly what I was initially going to make: the central structure was going to double as a cave, so infantry and vehicles could go both over and through it. I gave up though - it's hard has hell to pull off given the undulating terrain. So I'd love to see what you've got going when it's ready, as I really like the concept.

I think any map using the Gulch would do well to take the lessons of Valhalla - sight lines, infantry/vehicle balance, player movement - and apply them to the geometry in the Gulch. The result won't be Valhalla, but it could be something unique that plays as good.

zumphry

Banned
Would it be better to start from scratch again on the base Forge World, or could I continue forging my map on the version I have where it's just me throwing around ideas for it? I don't wanna hit the limit on items somehow.

Raide

My Fileshare

I think Havok and Death Trap are finally finished. I have been slowly tweaking them, adding decoration etc and I think I am happy. I just need to get some more testing to see how the modes work but thats about it.

I have my CTF map up (Opposite Dragons) and I need some more feedback if anyone can spent some time trying things out.

Time to move onto something new!:D

Raide said:
I have my CTF map up (Opposite Dragons) and I need some more feedback if anyone can spent some time trying things out.

Time to move onto something new!:D

Downloading Opposite Dragons, I'll let you know when I get a chance to look at it later today

also looks like you got Pro? :lol

Raide

timetokill said:
Downloading Opposite Dragons, I'll let you know when I get a chance to look at it later today

also looks like you got Pro? :lol

I keep taking out maps to fit new ones in but I really need Pro. :lol

I have been browsing through this thread for some inspiration or cool tips and I have a question to you experienced forgers:

Why are most of the maps on here super-complicated? Most of Bungie's creations are simple and the more complicated maps they made (like Chiron 34) I have not enjoyed those as much. I know many of you put a lot of time into making your maps (and they are beautiful) but do you guys think simple maps do indeed work better?

I am planning a 4v4 TS map in Alaska and just want to see what people like to play.

Raide

cuevas said:
I have been browsing through this thread for some inspiration or cool tips and I have a question to you experienced forgers:

Why are most of the maps on here super-complicated? Most of Bungie's creations are simple and the more complicated maps they made (like Chiron 34) I have not enjoyed those as much. I know many of you put a lot of time into making your maps (and they are beautiful) but do you guys think simple maps do indeed work better?

I am planning a 4v4 TS map in Alaska and just want to see what people like to play.

Many here are much better at decorating maps than I am. I tend to make symmetrical maps with little in the way of decoration. Some people here make very artistic maps that are full of detail, the difficulty is finding the balance between a good looking level and one that works well.

It really depends on what type of maps you enjoy making but just building a base first and then thinking about decorating tends to work well.

Raide said:
I keep taking out maps to fit new ones in but I really need Pro. :lol

Ah, my bad, scrolled really quickly and thought I saw more :lol
Yeah I think I might have to get Pro.

Also, does anybody know if we can submit multiple maps to the Bungie competition?

Raide

timetokill said:
Ah, my bad, scrolled really quickly and thought I saw more :lol
Yeah I think I might have to get Pro.

Also, does anybody know if we can submit multiple maps to the Bungie competition?

I cannot see it on B.net. I guess you can enter multiple maps but it would have to be 1 map per Gametype

cuevas said:

There are some super-complicated maps and some that are less so. But usually people want to do certain things and the basic blocks Bungie gives aren't always enough to do it, so you have to get a little creative.

For me, I prefer simple map layouts but I also have concepts for how the map should look. So on my map Château, I wanted to get the feel of a big open-air manor. I feel like I decorated it quite a bit, but it's not overdone -- and the general layout is very easy to understand, which I feel is of extreme importance.

I guess in short, I don't think the map has to "look" simple to be simple. Additionally, it often really helps players find their way around your map quickly when you use a structure that is somewhat recognizable or at least has landmark points on it.

I will say that landmarks are a huge point of my maps: Bungie has decided not to give us the ability to create callout locations (which I would love -- a simple box/cylinder thing like with spawns and a object tag that we can enter in) -- so making easy-to-recognize locations helps players with learning the map quickly as well as enhances communication to their teammates.

timetokill said:
There are some super-complicated maps and some that are less so. But usually people want to do certain things and the basic blocks Bungie gives aren't always enough to do it, so you have to get a little creative.

For me, I prefer simple map layouts but I also have concepts for how the map should look. So on my map Château, I wanted to get the feel of a big open-air manor. I feel like I decorated it quite a bit, but it's not overdone -- and the general layout is very easy to understand, which I feel is of extreme importance.

I guess in short, I don't think the map has to "look" simple to be simple. Additionally, it often really helps players find their way around your map quickly when you use a structure that is somewhat recognizable or at least has landmark points on it.

I will say that landmarks are a huge point of my maps: Bungie has decided not to give us the ability to create callout locations (which I would love -- a simple box/cylinder thing like with spawns and a object tag that we can enter in) -- so making easy-to-recognize locations helps players with learning the map quickly as well as enhances communication to their teammates.

Yeah I think "landmarks" are a huge thing. Like oh the rockers are under the bridge or the sword is on top of the giant rock.

also chateau was a call of duty map

cuevas said:
Yeah I think "landmarks" are a huge thing. Like oh the rockers are under the bridge or the sword is on top of the giant rock.

also chateau was a call of duty map

Fuck Call of Duty

(seriously, I had no idea -- I didn't even finish MW1, haven't played CoD since)

Raide

timetokill said:
Fuck Call of Duty

(seriously, I had no idea -- I didn't even finish MW1, haven't played CoD since)

I saw another château on Forgehub. Looked rough. Yours is so much better. :D

Top Bottom