• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Raide

Bungie.pro is mine! I am now filling my Fileshare with all the WIP and Finished maps I have. Plus a few pictures too. :D

MrBig

cuevas said:
I have been browsing through this thread for some inspiration or cool tips and I have a question to you experienced forgers:

Why are most of the maps on here super-complicated? Most of Bungie's creations are simple and the more complicated maps they made (like Chiron 34) I have not enjoyed those as much. I know many of you put a lot of time into making your maps (and they are beautiful) but do you guys think simple maps do indeed work better?

I am planning a 4v4 TS map in Alaska and just want to see what people like to play.
Simple maps are always going to be better. The more you decorate, the more your frame rate will dip when you get large battles going on.

Take my new map for instance.
reach_6912038_Full.jpg

I've added on to the geometry at the back of the island to create more pathways so that there is now 4 ways to get to the other side rather than one, but most of it I just left how it was.

Looking for 15 people to help test my new BTB map tonight, 9pm UK time. If you can help PM me here or via Xbox Live, and I'll send you an invite. Thanks! :)

MrBig

Sikamikanico said:
Looking for 15 people to help test my new BTB map tonight, 9pm UK time. If you can help PM me here or via Xbox Live, and I'll send you an invite. Thanks! :)
Why not just get another forgegaf custom going? Plenty of people have new maps up.

My latest map, Odyssey, is coming along nicely. All my structures etc are done, just need to get some decent testing in for any tweaks to be made.

I set out to fix what I felt to be broken in Paradiso, while making it way more fun for the average joe on foot to get around.

The great thing is, teams can no longer camp the mountain raining death from on high...AS YOU SPAWN.
OdysseyLayout.jpg

RedBaseWeaponlayout.jpg

BlueBase.jpg

Outpost.jpg

PurpleBansheeStructureRear.jpg

Fingers crossed it works okay.

timetokill said:
Hoping to do ForgeGAF Customs in about 1 and a half hours. Can you guys make it?

(4pm PST/7pm EST/midnight UK)

Sorry dude, too late for me, I have work in the morning. (UK) Have fun though!

Raide

timetokill said:
Hoping to do ForgeGAF Customs in about 1 and a half hours. Can you guys make it?

(4pm PST/7pm EST/midnight UK)

Would love to but I am not going to be able make it.

Hope all goes well. Will be good to get some more ForgeGAF maps tested and perfected. :D

All right, next week we'll have to set the time for a bit earlier so the UK people can make it :D

Is 2pm PST/ 10pm UK time still too late or will that work for you across the pond?

Raide

timetokill said:
All right, next week we'll have to set the time for a bit earlier so the UK people can make it :D

Is 2pm PST/ 10pm UK time still too late or will that work for you across the pond?

10 would be fine for me. I can fit a few games in with no problems then. :D

So, I'm just going to condense the post I made about this on HBO and Forge Hub.

Lookout!

Now that I've got your attention: I'm here today to talk to you about my map: Lookout. Original, I know.

FromAnotherAngle-1.jpg

Lookout is a small map, suited for 2 to 8 players. Right now, the only gametypes that work are Slayer and Juggernaut. It draws inspiration from Lockout and Guardian, but is mostly an original creation that started off as a rock sticking out of the ocean.

Lookout will require you to keep moving: stay in one play for too long and you will die a horrible and painful death, one way or another. Basically, it's a slaughterhause disguised as a Forerunner research installation.

Lookout-1.jpg

The map is also an experiment in verticality: it has several levels which all have a few different points of access, some of which may be more obvious than others. I also did my best to avoid the "lone map floating on the waves"-feeling, by including some architecture beyond the playable boundaries as well. A map can be pretty, too, right?

8TheNewLookout-1.jpg

In any case, if you're interested (and I bet you aren't), check it out on my File Share. Enjoy it, and if you don't, enjoy telling me why!

aesop

I never really messed with Forge in Halo 3, but I'm really enjoying Reach's implementation. And so, here is my first ever Forge map, tentatively titled Research. Click here for high res versions in my fileshare.

research.jpg

It's setup like a floating warehouse/research station with a 2 tiered roof.

research3.jpg

And here's the inside lower level.

research2.jpg

I'm still working on spawns and weapon placements and have to add some cover on the roof. But at this moment, I'm liking the way it's turned out.

looking for someone to help me finish a map I had been working on for a month, very hard to describe, but I'll try. 2 main bases, 4 other buildings all connected with mancannons and walkways, center of map is a lower bowl that is open with pillars and other structural cover but no buildings.

Got about 80% done with the map and have been in the process of moving since then, now got a 2nd job and time is limited but really want to get it finished as I feel the work done so far is excellent

GodfatherX said:
looking for someone to help me finish a map I had been working on for a month, very hard to describe, but I'll try. 2 main bases, 4 other buildings all connected with mancannons and walkways, center of map is a lower bowl that is open with pillars and other structural cover but no buildings.

Got about 80% done with the map and have been in the process of moving since then, now got a 2nd job and time is limited but really want to get it finished as I feel the work done so far is excellent

What parts do you need to do still? More structure or are you just looking for weapon spawns and the like?

After much brain-wracking and tweaking, I've addressed a couple of issues and uploaded the most recent version of Crown of Flies to my fileshare.

Some of the most recent changes:

New rocket table (you can still make the jump to the sniper perch):

de3db4.jpg

Yellow platform was raised a little bit to make it less cramped while heading to the cave, and the upper section was opened up a bit more.

34ta1cn.jpg

Opened up this area under the bridge so Elites could move around better.

33kbp8k.jpg

Also tweaked the sniper spawn ever so slightly

2pquwwl.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Started revising my Valhalla experiment after playtesting during Customs last night. When I put it on, I didn't tell folks about the previous revisions made to see how the differences played out in the wild so to speak.

-Added Rockets are Banshee counters
-Added rocky cover/vantage points at both bases
-Changed spawn clusters from open to protected areas

These changes worked pretty well, particularly the rockets countering the Banshees (in addition to the single Laser). With these changes made, I was happy with the overall layout and flow, pending more playtesting, so I decided to make some of the final and time consuming changes, fixing the hill and dismantling the beach base and replacing it with the Valhalla flavoured design to match the other.

I decided to work on the hill first. I dismantled it completely and rebuilt it from scratch trying to make sure I could use the co-ordinates to keep it aligned rather than using my eye. I also replaced the Coliseum Window as the base of the hill with simple flat blocks.

Hill complete, I dismantled the beach base. I moved the mancannon back and used it as the anchor point to build the base. Then ran into a problem.

I've ran out of blocks. Didn't realise it at the time, but apparently I went block crazy with the first base and then remaking the hill and using blocks as the base didn't help either. I managed to get a portion of the base structure completed before I ran out.

Now, I'm looking at various ways I can substitute blocks from the completed base so I can free up block currency for the other. Fun. =\

J-Roderton

I made a map, symmetrical, 2 bases. Anyway, I want to make it a 2 flag, 4 on 4 slayer type map. Can someone help me out with the flag situation? When I went into customs to see if it worked out, I set the game type to CTF and it wouldn't let me go into the game. Just said something along the lines of, game type cannot be played on this map.

I put a flag holder in each base and set them to blue and red team respectfully. There are also return plates (or whatever they are called) in each base. What's up?

GhaleonEB

Final version of Crossroads (for now). Configured for Assault, Slayer, CTF and Stockpile.

Long list of small changes from the last published version, though this is close to what was tested this weekend, some tweaking aside. I plan to build a Race variant on the same layout, but with the bases removed and more tightly sealed edges, down the road a bit. For now I plan to focus on getting the next map ready.

J-Roderton

I really want to play on these maps. Do you guys play together aside from Gaf customs? I am never able to play with those guys at all.

Jroderton said:
I really want to play on these maps. Do you guys play together aside from Gaf customs? I am never able to play with those guys at all.

We try to but it's tough sometimes. I put out a call for ForgeGAF customs today but only got one affirmative response or so.

Maybe the time is bad for people? I suggested moving it to Sunday at 2pm PST/5pm EST/10pm UK but maybe other days are better?

Due to living in a different timezone it's probably going to be hard for me to make any forge gaf customs but if I'm around when people are on I'm up for it.
Decided to ditch my plan for a boarding action reimagining as the man cannons were not powerful enough to chuck people up high enough for what my plan was. Instead I decided to scour Forgeworld and try and fit my map into the terrain instead of just floating in mid-air.

There is a mini S-bend just behind the blood gulch/hemorrhage area that I have placed the basic map area in but there are a few annoying problems with this area.
Here are some work in progress pictures:
reach_7044928_Medium.jpg

reach_7044938_Medium.jpg

I have essentially given up on making each side symmetrical but am aiming to try and balance the two sides so that even though they are not identical there is no advantage for one team over the other. The biggest problem is that the base in the 2nd picture gets access to higher ground a lot easier than the first base which is a lot lower down so trying to come up with ways to balance this out.
My aim is to turn this into a nice 4 vs 4 slayer/ctf map.

squidhands said:
After much brain-wracking and tweaking, I've addressed a couple of issues and uploaded the most recent version of Crown of Flies to my fileshare.

Seriously dude, that looks realllly good.

It's customs night tonight with my UK group OMG, so I'll make sure we get a game on it. Do you want me to send you the film?

Okay, I'm gonna call this one pretty much done until any playtests reveal problems!

chateau_header.jpg

Download it here!
Made for 4-12 players
Assault, CTF, Slayer, Headhunter, Stockpile, KOTH, Oddball

A few more shots:
reach_7001028_Full.jpg

reach_6560701_Full.jpg

reach_6560689_Full.jpg

Château is a map designed as a majestic open-air manor. Three tiers, with at least one pathway across to the other side from any tier. Great for DMR battles across the gap, or for battles controlling the various floors.

Something special that I don't know if anybody has noticed thus far -- right underneath the rocket launcher spawn is a small bay housing some canisters. If you shoot these (with say the pistol or DMR) they will fly out and explode somewhere on the garden below. This can lead to some really funny kills :D

Also, thanks to Raide's help I put some soft kill zones underneath the floorboards on the first floor to deter any unscrupulous players :p

Anyway, hope you guys check it out and work it into the customs you have! Let me know how it plays. I'd really appreciate it.

Sikamikanico said:
Seriously dude, that looks realllly good.

It's customs night tonight with my UK group OMG, so I'll make sure we get a game on it. Do you want me to send you the film?
Thanks man, I'd love to have a film of the game. That would help tremendously.

timetokill said:
Okay, I'm gonna call this one pretty much done until any playtests reveal problems!
I loved hopping around on your previous version; it's one of the better maps that I've seen so far. When I get a game on it, I'll definitely give some feedback.

@ NOKYARD: Thanks for the suggestion. If I don't end up doing this on CoF, I'll definitely end up using it on another map.

JimmyBoy

timetokill said:
Château is a map designed as a majestic open-air manor. Three tiers, with at least one pathway across to the other side from any tier. Great for DMR battles across the gap, or for battles controlling the various floors.

Something special that I don't know if anybody has noticed thus far -- right underneath the rocket launcher spawn is a small bay housing some canisters. If you shoot these (with say the pistol or DMR) they will fly out and explode somewhere on the garden below. This can lead to some really funny kills :D

Also, thanks to Raide's help I put some soft kill zones underneath the floorboards on the first floor to deter any unscrupulous players :p

Anyway, hope you guys check it out and work it into the customs you have! Let me know how it plays. I'd really appreciate it.

Looks great, downloading tonight.

NH Apache

Banned
So I have begrudgingly started on my new map, entitled DeFacing Halo Hotel.

Scale looks to be fairly massive and I am currently working on making sure I can get 3-4 floors out of the budget. There will be a second hotel across the way, hence the facing worlds moniker.

So it is just a start. I'm not sold on the rock outcropping yet. Think that will have to go.

Raide

Just playing with 2 new maps. Not sure if I will finish them or not. Basic spawns in, just messing around with objects really. Trying to make neat and tidy maps without too much flicker and geometry clipping. Depending if I do more with them, I might try some other game types.

Both Slayer maps, possible 2v2 or 4v4.

WIP MAP 1 "Void"

reach_7059725_Full.jpg

WIP MAP 2 "WIP"

reach_7060498_Full.jpg

Both in my File Share. Along with all my other random things.:lol

NOKYARD said:
Take WIP, turn it 180°, place on top of Void, add a few ramps, call it a day. :D
lol, I thought the same thing. The biggest issue I'm seeing with both of these setups is that they both rely too heavily on the bridges, leaving little room for strafing or various ways to traverse the map. The less linear you can make it, the better it will play.

Just my two cents. :D

Raide

squidhands said:
lol, I thought the same thing. The biggest issue I'm seeing with both of these setups is that they both rely too heavily on the bridges, leaving little room for strafing or various ways to traverse the map. The less linear you can make it, the better it will play.

Just my two cents. :D

I so wish they had wide-bridges to make maps with. I don't know if I will finish these maps. Mainly 2v2 or 4v4 slayer maps. Might tweak them to space them out a bit more.

Raide, I tried out Opposing Dragons (i think that was the name) -- Very interesting layout! Something that concerns me is the lack of flat/open space, which as a personal tick I feel you need at least one of to draw people toward. In practice the rocket area might actually do that, so I could be off-base, but I'm not sure. That said I love the diagonal lines all over the map, and could see a lot of side-strafing and long range battles happening. And the centered feeling of it.

squidhands said:
I loved hopping around on your previous version; it's one of the better maps that I've seen so far. When I get a game on it, I'll definitely give some feedback

Thanks squid! I went and downloaded your latest as well, looks really gorgeous as usual. Love all the decorative touches to the map, it's very cleverly laid out. And the rocket launcher to grenade jump one-way shield door thing is too perfect :D hoping to try it out in a live environment soon

Raide said:
I so wish they had wide-bridges to make maps with.
You and me both, sir.

timetokill said:
Thanks squid! I went and downloaded your latest as well, looks really gorgeous as usual. Love all the decorative touches to the map, it's very cleverly laid out. And the rocket launcher to grenade jump one-way shield door thing is too perfect :D hoping to try it out in a live environment soon.
Thanks! That one-way shield door is set up only for 1 Flag games, so Blue team can't grab the flag and just hop back into the central room.

Raide

timetokill said:
Raide, I tried out Opposing Dragons (i think that was the name) -- Very interesting layout! Something that concerns me is the lack of flat/open space, which as a personal tick I feel you need at least one of to draw people toward. In practice the rocket area might actually do that, so I could be off-base, but I'm not sure. That said I love the diagonal lines all over the map, and could see a lot of side-strafing and long range battles happening. And the centered feeling of it.

Thanks for taking some time to try it out. I might look at making some wider areas. The main idea was to have the central area but I did not want to make bottle-necks where everyone just piled in. :lol

Once I have set everything out, most of the time was to check sight lines and try and put decoration/cover to make sure people don't get camped too much. It was made for CTF but might work better as a Slayer or even KotH.

devon the dude said:
I'd really like to play a lot of these maps. If I'm not a forger, am I allowed in the custom games with you guys??

More the merrier. Its good to get more people playing, since it helps the current ForgeGAF people keep improving. It might also get people interested in trying Forge out for themselves. :D

Jroderton said:
This is awesome. I say we should get something going this week.

We have tried Sundays (and we are looking at Sunday 2pm PST/5pm EST/10pm UK this weekend). I don't know if Saturday is better for people or not. The main reason for weekends is the time differences, especially with people over in UK and such.

Send me a friend request (BEARCANO) and I'll invite you when it's happening.

J-Roderton

timetokill said:
We have tried Sundays (and we are looking at Sunday 2pm PST/5pm EST/10pm UK this weekend). I don't know if Saturday is better for people or not.

Send me a friend request (BEARCANO) and I'll invite you when it's happening.

Will do. I work all weekends but can play at some times. Weekdays are free for me as well.

timetokill said:
We try to but it's tough sometimes. I put out a call for ForgeGAF customs today but only got one affirmative response or so.

Maybe the time is bad for people? I suggested moving it to Sunday at 2pm PST/5pm EST/10pm UK but maybe other days are better?

I'm usually free Saturday and Sunday to play with GAF members, but I often don't check the topics for calls for customs and end up missing them. If you see me on ReachGAF at anytime, feel free to send an invite. I'd be happy to test out any maps, even if it is just me running through them.

GT: K OS Master

Top Bottom