• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

I think the next Forge World (There's got to be another one!) should have the same basic idea of the current Forge World: A large play space with several different locations to Forge in. The only difference would be that in the new Forge World, each space should be different aesthetically.

I think a cool idea would be to have it be like a huge house. Each room will have different terrain and aesthetics and of course it's own Skybox. There would be Snowy room, and Forest room, an industrial room, a Covenant room, an Urban room, etc. all varying in sizes.

However, thinking about it like that makes it seem impossible to achieve. :lol

I have the right to dream.

Finally finished a map. Scrapped my earlier 1 Flag map and decided to go with a more symmetric TF2, 2fort inspired map.

Proctin
Description: A three floored, symmetric map made primarily with objective games in mind.
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, CTF, Assault, Juggernaut, Oddball
Players Supported: 8-16
Latest version in my File Share

An overview of the map:
reach_7576633_Full.jpg

Middle floor, also the focus point:
reach_7576108_Full.jpg

Entrance to the red base:
reach_7576288_Full.jpg

Overview of the top floor for the red base:
reach_7576628_Full.jpg

Top floor, red base:
reach_7576146_Full.jpg

Top floor, blue base:
reach_7576173_Full.jpg

Objective area:
reach_7576297_Full.jpg

Staircase allowing movement between the three floors:
reach_7576255_Full.jpg

Teleporter, bomb is armed here in Assault:
reach_7576543_Full.jpg

Bottom floor, two tunnels lead you inside the base:
reach_7576166_Full.jpg

Tunnels from the bottom lead here, allows access to middle floor:
reach_7576143_Full.jpg

All it needs now is a lot of play testing. I'll be adding the rest of the possible game types to the map soon and will always have the latest version of the map in my fileshare.

Critique Away!

J-Roderton

koshunter said:
Finally finished a map. Scrapped my earlier 1 Flag map and decided to go with a more symmetric TF2, 2fort inspired map.

Tunnels from the bottom lead here, allows access to middle floor:
reach_7576143_Full.jpg

All it needs now is a lot of play testing. I'll be adding the rest of the possible game types to the map soon and will always have the latest version of the map in my fileshare.

Critique Away!

This pic really confused me at first. Map looks good though. Is it completely symmetrical?

MrBig

That looks really interesting. Make sure you get on for customs tonight and try to get them to play that.
Insaniac said:
100% agree. In fact I am actually disappointed at the lack of "doodad" items in forgeworld. No forklift or random trucks to make a building look like a warehouse, only 12 crates total in the entire map? hardly any variety in barricades etc.

I'd like to see the ability to place trees perhaps. a foresty map would be awesome.
These were most likely sacrificed in order to load the entirety of forge world without any problems. They have to load everything into the ram, and theres no way they can put that much stuff into a map as large as FW. I want the next FW to be about half as big with twice as many decorators.

Jroderton said:
This pic really confused me at first. Map looks good though. Is it completely symmetrical?

Yup, the bases are completely symmetrical. I really wish there was a copy/paste option in forge though, recreation was really difficult without a second controller.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Insaniac said:
Op_ivy, fantastic map except some blue initial spawns are trapped in that walkway cover, and I spawned inside it. Also there are some holes against the wall right next to the walkway cover that someone could fall into and get stuck

:lol, the structure on top of each base was a recent addition and i accidentally dropped the blue bases inside the base. so that cover shouldnt be that low and the spawn issue is now resolved. i also fixed the holes that you could fall into in the blue base. those corners are still there, but now to small to fall into.

thanks again for the heads up, newest iteration is up
Long Walk, Short Bridge.1

_Bro

Banned
Man, just looking at a couple posts in this thread gives me hope for the future of Reach. Can't wait for the future playlist updates to phase out all the terrible maps that I have to play now.

aesop

enzo_gt said:
Hey man, I know it's set up for 4v4 slayer, but I tried playing it with 2 friends and FFA and the spawns are pretty good, and the amount of cover seems just about perfect. Only thing is, the entire bottom area goes largely unused because of the relative difficulty of accessing it, and it being a bit claustrophobic compared to the upper area. May not pertain to the kind of feedback you want as its for 4v4 slayer, but I just thought I'd let you know. :D Was really fun to play fiesta on especially.
I really appreciate you trying out my map and thanks for the feedback. 2v2 slayer isn't too far removed from 4v4, so your comments bring up some valid concerns. (edit: whoops, I read that wrong) I think the problem is that I really wanted to make sure there was ease in getting upstairs rather than down. Maybe I should put the initial spawns downstairs and rethink the weapons on the map. Give people a reason to go up or down.

When I eventually set it up for objective gametypes, it will be easier to funnel folks into the lower area, but yeah. Slayer is a different beast.

By the way, I'll add some impressions from Thursday night's customs in a bit :D Been really trying to get things at least somewhat ready for testing on my new map

Raide

I just went a bit odd, spend 10 minutes and made a simple Slayer map called Shafted. Works better on Classic Slayer, since the AA's just mess things up a bit too much.

4 players max I would say, vertical tunnel with random man-cannons firing you all over the place. Lots of two-way teleports, so you have no idea where you arrive. Lots of Concussion rifles for altering you trajectory. :lol In my File Share if you fancy checking it. Map was purely made for fun, nothing serious.

reach_7602128_Full.jpg

Might play around with the idea and make 2 shafts and make it a weird team game. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Specific request for ForgeGAF

For HaloGAF Customs every Saturday, I try to make sure that we give as many ForgeGAF maps a run and a test as possible. But there is an issue. Customs is always full until the later hours and there is a specific lack of good, solid BTB maps. BTB is the only real option for the majority of matches and unfortunately we don't have many from ForgeGAF, the ones that we do have are few and far between and there's been quite a few promising maps that need a few important improvements (and some plainly awful ones =P).

So rise to the occasion ForgeGAF and give us some proper new BTB experiences. We want big proper maps, one sided objective friendly things in addition to slayer boxes. Give us spaces to roam freely in vehicles whilst not squeezing out the infantry.

Right next to Invasion, BTB spaces are possibly the most difficult to get right due to the scale involve and additional considerations needed for balanced vehicle interplay, but we believe in you.

=)

Dani said:

For HaloGAF Customs every Saturday, I try to make sure that we give as many ForgeGAF maps a run and a test as possible. But there is an issue. Customs is always full until the later hours and there is a specific lack of good, solid BTB maps. BTB is the only real option for the majority of matches and unfortunately we don't have many from ForgeGAF, the ones that we do have are few and far between and there's been quite a few promising maps that need a few important improvements (and some plainly awful ones =P).

So rise to the occasion ForgeGAF and give us some proper new BTB experiences. We want big proper maps, one sided objective friendly things in addition to slayer boxes. Give us spaces to roam freely in vehicles whilst not squeezing out the infantry.

Right next to Invasion, BTB spaces are possibly the most difficult to get right due to the scale involve and additional considerations needed for balanced vehicle interplay, but we believe in you.

=)

Okay, my next map will be for BTB then. On that note I want videos of your play sessions on it if I can't be in the customs myself :D

McNei1y

koshunter said:

Proctin
Description: A three floored, symmetric map made primarily with objective games in mind.
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, CTF, Assault, Juggernaut, Oddball
Players Supported: 8-16
Download it here!

Looks like a pretty cool map.

I have 2 maps that are works in progress. Don't know if I they will ever be as detailed as a lot of the maps here but they will get the job done.

One map is a symmetrical map that is sort of inspired by battle creek. It has two bases facing eachother. In the middle of the map is a giant building with two floors. Not really large, just an area for close quarter fights with some shotguns and such. Going upstairs will lead to an alternative route to the opponents base, as well as a beam rifle. Each fort has a ramp going up to the top of the fortress were a lot of rocks are placed for cover. A few DMR's are scattered around on each side. In the middle is a rocket launcher, open in the field though so the guy going for it is vulnerable. The flag will be in an enclosed room at the top of a tower in the base. Up there will be a sniper as well. It seems cool but I don't know how it would play or if I pulled it off correctly.

My other map was inspired from an art piece I looked at in an Art History class I am taking. The art works design looked like it would be a cool map. The map would be symmetrical floating over water. It would be 3-4 floors but its basically a platform map. The two bases will be on opposite ends and will be the middle floor. There will be ramps connecting each platform. The 3rd floor will be the big battle area with a rocket launcher. Boxes will be placed for cover. There will also be a lift launching one up to a sky room with a sword. There will be a portal there that will drop you to the bottom floor. Each side platform has a shotgun. I have a vision in my head but I haven't started creating it. I think this could be a cool map. It reminds me of a sort of Lockout/Wizard map combined.

koshunter said:
Would there be room in forge customs if I brought my bro with me or are you guys usually full?

Please bring him :D Forge customs don't usually get as full as regular customs. It'd be great to have another player.

Speaking of which, 10 minutes! Hop on if you're interested!

Retro

timetokill said:
Please bring him :D Forge customs don't usually get as full as regular customs. It'd be great to have another player.

Speaking of which, 10 minutes! Hop on if you're interested!

You know what? I'm gonna hop on and play a few maps with you guys. Maybe we can sneak Moonpool 2 in for some slayer and I can get a little more feedback on it before I start fixing issues and setting it up for multiple gametypes (right now CTF is wonky at best).

Gamertag is Retrogames, as usual.

Raide

OK, tweaked some of my Void map, no v3. More cover, Kill box instead of Soft Kill, more weapons plus tweaked respawns for the power weapons, raised the tunnel height for those pesky Elites (the tunnel now has a purpose :lol )

reach_7609612_Full.jpg

Slayer currently, might rework for other gametypes if it starts to click.

In my File Share if you fancy checking it out. Might try it out in customs later.

Raide said:
OK, tweaked some of my Void map, no v3. More cover, Kill box instead of Soft Kill, more weapons plus tweaked respawns for the power weapons, raised the tunnel height for those pesky Elites (the tunnel now has a purpose :lol )

reach_7609612_Full.jpg

Slayer currently, might rework for other gametypes if it starts to click.

In my File Share if you fancy checking it out. Might try it out in customs later.

Cool, now join the customs damn it :lol

Dani said:

=)

Yes, the more BTB maps, the better.

I won't be able to make it to Customs tonight, but you guys could add the current version of Yeti Bay to the rotation. It still needs a bit more testing, so I would greatly appreciate it if you guys played on it! Also, I keep forgetting to save any sort of film of Yeti Bay. If it is possible, I would love a film too!

I've spent many hours on it (maybe a little too much time for a map!), and I just want it to be the best I can get it. That's why I want to take every opportunity I can to get this map tested.

Anyway, here's a quick map I've been working on. It is called...

Yeti Dome!

yetidome1.jpg

yetidome2.jpg

yetidome3.jpg

yetidome4.jpg

yetidome5.jpg

It's very small and best suited for FFA and Team Doubles. The most players I recommend is 6 for FFA, and of course 4 for Doubles. I don't have any sort of structure in place besides of course the dome itself. I did place rocks here and there for additional cover.

It has about 6 DMRs, 2 Assault Rifles, 2 Spikers, 2 Needlers, 2 Needle Rifles, 1 Shotgun, 1 Grenade Launcher, 4 Plasma Grenades, and 2 Frag Grenades. It may seem like a bunch of weapons, but I want the battleground to be constantly different. I'm hoping that by having more weapons it will achieve that.

Anyway, it's ready for download now! I'm not really worried about it getting tested, but I would still like some feedback on it. :D

Thanks to everyone who participated in today's ForgeGAF customs! It was a blast and we got some really great feedback. Of course it would help everyone to add their thoughts to the thread.

In about an hour I'll be posting a recap of today's testing.

Raide

timetokill said:
Thanks to everyone who participated in today's ForgeGAF customs! It was a blast and we got some really great feedback. Of course it would help everyone to add their thoughts to the thread.

In about an hour I'll be posting a recap of today's testing.

I enjoyed it!

Some good maps coming from ForgeGAF. Keep up the good work!

ForgeGAF Customs Recap: 10/23/2010

Great day/afternoon/night for ForgeGAF customs! We had a solid 8 players the entire time, making for great testing on a range of maps.

I've decided to take the plunge and get Bungie Pro, so I've uploaded a film of each of our games to my file share. Just click the game type link below to download the film for that map. Note: the films will not be up there forever so grab them while you can. I'll take them down next weekend.

Playlist
- Moonpool by Retrogames: Classic Slayer
- Havok by Raide: Classic Slayer
- Havok by Raide: King of the Hill
- Proctin by K OS Master: Capture the Flag
- Great Bear Lodge by BEARCANO: Slayer
- Trapped by Raide: Multi-Flag CTF
- Château by BEARCANO: Capture the Flag
- Yeti Bay by RebornYeti: Capture the Flag
- Crown of Flies by squidhands: Slayer
- Ephialtes by Kapura: Slayer

The Players
- Retrogames
- RaideUK
- | devolution |
- CBBQ
- l3Lashsim1
- BEARCANO
- ViolatedTerror
- K OS Master
- Mr Kwatz

HUGE THANKS to the forgers and testers who made it possible. We got some great feedback during testing but hopefully people can list out their thoughts in the thread.

Everdred

I've been putting a lot of time and play testing into my Dreadfalls map I listed a while back. Hoping to finish it up completely pretty soon. Would love to get it in GAF forge customs to get some opinions and stuff.

zumphry

Banned
timetokill said:
Playlist

Didn't play in the customs, but ran around in this and I fell in love with it due to reminding me of Marathon's maps. Especially the one area where there are two hallways branching off of a room.

When will the next Forge Custom games be? I'd love to get in on them.

Retro

Just a small bullet point: That's actually Moonpool 2.0 we tested. The original had too many ugly rooms, too many mobility problems, and too much slowdown. I rebuilt everything from scratch and that's what we've tested the last two times we've done Moonpool. I really screwed up the spawn placement for CTF so I'll be going back to an earlier version of the map and wiping out all of the spawn points.

Oh, and a quick question: I want the Sword to float in mid-air on my map, so I set it's state to Fixed. However, should someone die with the sword, it continues to float in some pretty odd locations. Any idea on how to fix that?

Here are my (brief) notes from each map. I try to jot down anything I notice while/after playing.

- Void V3 by Raide:
Rename this map Jonestown, please. Oh, and force everyone to spawn purple. :lol

There's a missing section of bridge, probably an accidental deletion or something. During Slayer matches it also seemed that everyone spawning in teams lead to large numbers launching themselves at the central platform at roughly the same time, so it's usually chaos down there for the first 2 or 3 minutes. Maybe during slayer, throw some of the initial spawn points slightly higher up the structure.

Fairly interesting map, I especially liked how there was some great line of sight across the bases. There were several comments that the Sniper spawns too quickly, so increase the respawn rate on it somewhat. There also were some problems with the flags being nearly impossible to recover, but that's more of a gametype issue.

Haha, I see you took my advice and changed the name. This is a fantastic map and it has a ton of potential. Not sure what to suggest for that upper 'attic' area, but during the game I found it lends itself well to a little DMR-play, so maybe tuck one of those and some grenades up there.

Definitely interested in seeing how Assault plays out on this map, with one team storming the lodge and one team defending. Great stuff, and a worthy companion to Chateau.

This was a fun map, the firefights were pretty intense and there's a lot of open space without feeling too wide. However, there were too few weapon spawns (especially in the glass-enclosed rooms you spawn in). I noticed I was running out of pistol ammo a TON on this map, just because of the sheer size of things.

More Power weapons, more ranged weapon ammo (Pistols especially) and you've got a great map that's just a little greater.

Already adore Chateau and the CTF game on it was a blast. I think we all kind of agreed that it was too easy to turtle up in the flag rooms, especially if the opposing team is covering the bridge and mancannons. Maybe on CTF add some mancannons on the lower level to drop people on the upper balcony (outside the flag room), between the two doors... that way it's a fast way up but you're REALLY exposed.

We had an epic failure on this map, so hopefully somebody saved the video.
This map... seems a little off. At first it was extremely difficult to tell where we were, I think the map has a kind of odd bow-shape to it or something. That, plus the Filter, makes it kind of hard to hit the ground running on this map.

The Covenant vehicle (I forget what it is, but it's the one-person wraith... thing) totally destroyed on this map, and while it's a fun vehicle, it felt really cheap here. Maybe shift things over to all Human?

Otherwise, once we got our bearings, it was kind of fun... it has a kind of playground nature to it with all of the ramps.

Check that water around the bases though... heh.

An interesting map, but terrible framerate. It was pretty cool-looking, but with 9 players we were completely chunky. I'd simplify the architecture to make it a little more playable.

I don't have any notes for this map, but it was the last one we played and it was pretty damn fun. Lots of interesting levels within the space and interesting lines of sight. I didn't notice any major problems either.

ZayneH said:
Didn't play in the customs, but ran around in this and I fell in love with it due to reminding me of Marathon's maps. Especially the one area where there are two hallways branching off of a room.

That's probably the old version you're playing too, since I haven't shared the new version yet (I'm keeping it local and tossing it into Customs until I get at least Slayer, CTF and Territories set up). Send me a message on X-box live (Retrogames) and if I see you on I'll load it up and we can test it out / sneak a peek at the same time.

And yeah, I'm kind of old school Bungie fan, since I played Marathon on my old Mac LCII waaaay back when. I dunno that it was intentional when I made the map, but it probably came into my subconscious.

Alright, here’s my take on the maps we played on. As a whole, I had way more fun on these maps than anything in matchmaking. I played all the maps in split-screen, so some had frame-rate problems, other’s didn’t and it differed from those who played it single-screen.

I love the look of this map. I’m going to have to play this some more before I can fully comment on it as I’m pretty sure I was simply getting dominated on one half of the map. It ran really smooth and I had a blast on it. The only problem I noticed was that when jumping out of the water, I had to jump twice. Once out of the water and the other time to get on top of the Stunt Ramps you have placed around in a circular fashion. I don’t know if the second time, I needed to jump but it looked like there was a bump between the floor and the ramp and I kept instinctively jumping because of that, so that I don’t stop momentarily. Not sure if what I wrote makes much sense though. >_>

There was absolute chaos in the middle. I agree with Retro in that you need to add some more spawns around the map. I didn’t even explore the rest of the map until we played KOTH. It also takes some getting used to using the man cannon. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - BAM! hit the wall - but it works.

There’s a missing bridge piece that led to, I’m sure, many people’s death. I really liked KOTH on this map though, even though Red team dominated most of it (stupid teamwork). However, there either needs to be closer spawns, or a faster way of getting to the hill so that the wait in between chaos isn’t so dull.

Retro already covered most of the things but what I liked most about this map and my brother agreed was that after dieing, there was a perfect amount of time where you had no fighting, so you could orient yourself and then delve into chaos. The spawns really seem to like this map. The attic was very barren but I didn’t get to explore it much because I got killed my a man launching Spartan in my face. It seems like the perfect place for any objective game where defense is required.

This was a really fun CTF map. A couple of things stood out to me though. There wasn’t enough cover unless you were in the middle or the two bases. I felt pretty helpless going from the base to the middle and so forth. Just a little more cover I think could really balance that out, especially if there will be DMR’s on this map. The enclosed glass room was disorienting. The spawns are faced such that everytime I spawned, I walked straight into the wall, turned right, walked into another wall, turned right and finally got out. Was there a sniper on the map? I didn’t see one but it would have been useful to defeat the incredibly evil tactic of positioning a warthog in the base entrance with a gunner on it.
Only because we didn’t do it. T_T

The CTF game was pretty awesome on this, but the map itself seemed to big for the game we were playing, which took place entirely near the bridge. The flags are too close to each other, and getting from the bottom floor to the top needs to be slightly quicker. I have to play on it some more before I can comment further though because I only went down to the bottom floor a couple of times.

The revenant dominated us the entire game. The layout of this map is nice but the filter really hinders it. On my T.V the darker areas of the map were basically black and made it hard to see. I liked the setup of the bases though, however, the revenant made the attached turrets useless. I would suggest removing them entirely instead of rebalancing the map around them. Especially because sometimes AL wouldn’t destroy them. I would really like to play some sort of neutral bomb on this. The bases seemed great for an attack/defense type setup.

I played split-screen. It dipped to about 5 fps in fights and made it unplayable. I didn’t pay attention to the map too much because I was too busy watching myself die. T_T Many times.

An absolute blast of a map to end on. There were some crazy firefights in this one too, involving jetpacks, needlers and people going into armor lock at the same time while I struggled to pick a target. The only complaint I had was that there were ramps in certain areas clearly made for jetpack users but I kept trying to jump onto them, because they looked like a ramp and I thought I could make it. Oh and also, the central platform, at the bottom is made in such a way that you can climb about midway to the top. I thought it was a shortcut to get on top of the platform but it just kind of stops. I’m not sure if you meant to do that or not.

Also, thank you all for the input regarding Proctin. I’ve already increased the spawn times on some of the more heavy duty stuff and I’m going to just watch the video of the game and go from there. Next time though, I think I’ll just let timetokill host the match because it was lagging pretty badly with me as the host.

Retro said:
REALLY exposed.

We had an epic failure on this map, so hopefully somebody saved the video.
This map... seems a little off. At first it was extremely difficult to tell where we were, I think the map has a kind of odd bow-shape to it or something. That, plus the Filter, makes it kind of hard to hit the ground running on this map.

The Covenant vehicle (I forget what it is, but it's the one-person wraith... thing) totally destroyed on this map, and while it's a fun vehicle, it felt really cheap here. Maybe shift things over to all Human?

Otherwise, once we got our bearings, it was kind of fun... it has a kind of playground nature to it with all of the ramps.

Check that water around the bases heh..

I honestly don't see how you could even get lost in this map. That may sound a little biased coming from me, but I tried to design it to be very easy to navigate through. In my opinion, I think the filter makes it look better and less boring than the default, but I can understand how it could be jarring for other people. I think someone said it gave them a headache? :lol

The Revenant is powerful, yes, but that doesn't mean it isn't easy to take down. If your team focuses on it with DMRs, it could go down very fast. Plus there is a Splaser and 2 Rocket Launchers on the map that could easily take it down.

However, I would still like to test how well the map plays without it. I think I may make a version without the Revenant, and it will be replaced by a Ghost. The other Ghosts will be removed as well. Also, I could take the filter off, but I will proabably make that a permanent change for those sensitive to the Juicy filter.

Anyway, I really appreciate the feedback, as well as the fact that you guys actually played it AND saved a film. :D

-Yeti said:
I honestly don't see how you could even get lost in this map. That may sound a little biased coming from me, but I tried to design it to be very easy to navigate through. In my opinion, I think the filter makes it look better and less boring than the default, but I can understand how it could be jarring for other people. I think someone said it gave them a headache? :lol

The Revenant is powerful, yes, but that doesn't mean it isn't easy to take down. If your team focuses on it with DMRs, it could go down very fast. Plus there is a Splaser and 2 Rocket Launchers on the map that could easily take it down.

However, I would still like to test how well the map plays without it. I think I may make a version without the Revenant, and it will be replaced by a Ghost. The other Ghosts will be removed as well. Also, I could take the filter off, but I will proabably make that a permanent change for those sensitive to the Juicy filter.

Anyway, I really appreciate the feedback, as well as the fact that you guys actually played it AND saved a film. :D

The filter looks really nice on the parts of the map with color. It's stuff like your hands, an assault rifle and the inside of the base where the flag is that's really dark. Maybe a combination of filters could produce a result where it's not so dark?

Retro

koshunter said:
I love the look of this map.

Ha, thanks. I tend to think up gameplay concepts and then try to find some kind of structure or visual concept that fits what I have in mind, so the map isn't just fun to play on but cool to look at. For Moonpool, my idea was to have a claustrophobic map with multiple, easily-distinguished floors connecting two rooms which would contain team bases for CTF, etc.

koshunter said:
I’m going to have to play this some more before I can fully comment on it as I’m pretty sure I was simply getting dominated on one half of the map.

We can chalk that up to my shoddy spawn points. Red team actually spawned in the blue base, and vise-versa. That was a facepalm moment for me. I'm not quite familiar or comfortable enough with spawn zones to get things right, so I'm gonna have to read up and experiment a bit before I'm happy with things.

The map does tend to have some domination-heavy spots though. That upper floor is brutal (there used to be rockets up there too!), the sword room tends to get dicey (especially coming around those corners from red base), and the Armory almost always has a few people hanging around in it. That's probably why there's usually reports of slowdown in that spot.

That's all by design though, since I wanted things to be claustrophobic. The bottom floor is flooded, so you're not only in very narrow passages but you're also up to your neck in water. The sword is the primary item down there, which makes venturing into the flooded areas especially dangerous since you'll have a harder time seeing them coming. In the old Moonpool, that's especially true since I used the Purple filter to make everything dark.

Here's the original Moonpool (on my fileshare, here), which is essentially the same as what we played, although the new version is much cleaner, easier to get around, and has better spawn/weapon placement. Once I get a few more game types supported, I'll probably upload the 2.0 version to fileshare and post a full write-up for everyone to see and play with.

koshunter said:
It ran really smooth and I had a blast on it. The only problem I noticed was that when jumping out of the water, I had to jump twice. Once out of the water and the other time to get on top of the Stunt Ramps you have placed around in a circular fashion. I don’t know if the second time, I needed to jump but it looked like there was a bump between the floor and the ramp and I kept instinctively jumping because of that, so that I don’t stop momentarily. Not sure if what I wrote makes much sense though. >_>

I'll take a look at the Stunt Ramps, but I'm pretty sure they all dip below the Colosseum Walls that makes up the floor of that section. I'm trying to think what it might be; there is an intentional gap between the two floor surfaces, purely cosmetic (it's supposed to look like a door that's slightly open, since a moonpool would theoretically open to allow divers to exit the structure). That may have caused a bump, but not going into or coming out of the water.

Forge still has a shitty habit of bumping objects around between saves. I'll swim down there and see if something is loose.

I know that there's blocks running between the ramps that you have to jump twice on, but the ramps themselves should run straight out of the water and up to the 'deck'. That shouldn't be the problem, I don't think.

koshunter said:
Retro already covered most of the things but what I liked most about this map and my brother agreed was that after dieing, there was a perfect amount of time where you had no fighting, so you could orient yourself and then delve into chaos. The spawns really seem to like this map. The attic was very barren but I didn’t get to explore it much because I got killed my a man launching Spartan in my face. It seems like the perfect place for any objective game where defense is required.

I hopped into Great Bear Lodge while Bear was tinkering with it in Forge, just before we started customs. We didn't spend long looking at it, but he did say that the attic area isn't complete, mostly because he's not sure what kind of things are going to be happening up there. It's open to the grassy areas in front of the structure, so putting any kind of power weapon up there is going to nuke the spawning everyone was really pleased with.

Basically, the map wasn't finished when we played on it, so that's why the attic was barren. I dunno what to suggest other than a close-range power weapon like the sword or hammer... putting anything with range up there is going to throw off that sweet, sweet, buttery smooth spawning.

koshunter said:
The filter looks really nice on the parts of the map with color. It's stuff like your hands, an assault rifle and the inside of the base where the flag is that's really dark. Maybe a combination of filters could produce a result where it's not so dark?

I tried a lot of combinations, and they're either too dark or too light. :(

I will just removed the Filter. It doesn't really add much to the map anyway.

And its sad to hear that the Revenant is overpowered on my map. I will most likely replace it with a Ghost and see how that plays out.

zumphry

Banned
Retro said:
And yeah, I'm kind of old school Bungie fan, since I played Marathon on my old Mac LCII waaaay back when. I dunno that it was intentional when I made the map, but it probably came into my subconscious.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can’t exactly remember..."

Retro said:
That's probably the old version you're playing too, since I haven't shared the new version yet (I'm keeping it local and tossing it into Customs until I get at least Slayer, CTF and Territories set up). Send me a message on X-box live (Retrogames) and if I see you on I'll load it up and we can test it out / sneak a peek at the same time.

Alright, I'll see when you're on.

Kapura

Banned
Thanks for telling me my map is awesome guys. Teaser: My next map is big. Almost ready to do preliminary testing. It's a shame I couldn't get it into gaf customs this week, but some iteration should be ready next week.

Raide

Thanks for the feedback.

Havok now has the missing bit added! :lol I will start adding some higher team spawns as well. Also trying to think of a more interesting way to get to the higher areas. The middle was pure chaos but pretty funny. :lol I think I will go back to it and have a little tweak.

Jonestown Map (Formally Void v3 though I a not sure I will get far with the new name.) Added a chunk more Initial Spawns. I counted and I only have 6 first of all. Lead to some interesting ForgeGAF Suicide Pact when we all entered the map. :lol Tweaked now, will have to retest another time.

Trapped One of my first CTF maps actually based on terrain. Trying to make something a little larger scale with some vehicles. I will add some more weapons. I was not sure about DMR starts mainly due to their range, so AR + Pistol seems good but I think I will up the ammo count. Might add 1 or 2 DMR's into the glass covers.

Top of the base is where a Sniper "may" be. :lol I made the area and then thought sniper might be a little unbalanced. Might pop a Focus Rifle up there instead.

The little glass bases, I wanted it so you spawned and could see the enemy team without getting shot at. Maybe it would work better if you just spawned further back but still out of enemy view? Will try that and see.

I will also add a bit more cover for the outer spawns. It does get a little scary out there. :lol I also need to move a mongoose since it got trapped in a rock and I was unable to flip it.

Will post up my own Feedback later on today.

Okay, I finally have a chance now to give my thoughts :)

Apart from the missing bridge, I think the main thing this needs is some better spawns or at least better choices of where to go when you do spawn. There's a good chance of just clustering at the initial jump-to platform and it gets really chaotic, leading to some pretty short lives :p Just some more choices to let players find their own pathways to start off would help a lot.

The hill is, generally, too easily defended, but mostly because it takes so damn long to get up there! Some pathways that can allow quicker access to the top level from the lower ones would help a lot. Still, I ran into some pretty fun situations of finding myself caught in the fire of two other teams, which was funny :lol

Pretty cool map, though the sniper spawns were definitely far too rapid, and with too much ammo. Some great jumps and ways to get from level to level, which made for some fun assassination opportunities, which I always love. Not sure the turrets are actually that useful, maybe better to have them facing in towards the center area rather than directly at the opposing base. not sure though. Still, had a lot of fun, despite the weird latency problem we were having.

Thanks to Retro for the advice that led to this name ;)
Yeah, the attic and roof areas aren't complete yet, mostly because they're too easily defended. I want to make sure that going up there isn't an easy victory for a team and doesn't allow them to pick people off too easily from way above. Glad people seemed to like it, it's been a long time coming!

I'm definitely planning on setting up CTF and Assault gametypes on it, as well as some other gametypes. Looking forward to testing on it when it's improved a bit more :D

Probably my favorite map of yours so far, Raide. Good layout and it was a lot of fun for CTF. Might want some more cover on the sides to allow those on foot an easier way across. Only suggestions 1) more guns and ammo, especially for the pistol -- everyone on our team kept running out pretty quickly, and 2) the spawns in the bunkers, where you face a clear window, are annoying to me... I would spawn and just run straight into them before realizing it was a window. The spawns should face outward with a clear path to the action rather than into a wall. But overall, really great map for CTF.

First time really getting to try an objective type on this map, and it exposed a few problems -- namely, that it was too difficult to get from the first floor to the second easily, and I think the flags are too close together, there's really no reason to not take the flag across the 2nd floor bridge. I'm thinking I may move the flag to just outside the room, to the middle of the 2nd floor, where it's less easily camped and also suggests one of the other ways across the map. Thanks again to everyone for their great suggestions!

Just a hilarious map, taking out the turrets was a good idea but those platforms feel sort of out of place now. Maybe a building or some good cover there would help.

The mongoose falling into the water was one of the funnier things I've seen recently. Really funny moment, and good thing your map enables that kind of thing.

I still love the layout of this map, but yeah -- in practice things were getting pretty choppy. The guys playing on split-screen were chugging pretty badly from what we heard, and that mirrors my feelings on it flying around in split-screen with a friend a few days back. Still really love the map but I guess the sheer amount of merged objects will need to be toned down for performance.

Lots of fun, almost all there is to say :lol We did Free-for-All on this one and there were constant fun battles happening everywhere and people getting shot from all over. A really great way to end customs for the day.

... and that's all she wrote! Thanks again for the feedback on my maps, you guys are great testers and your feedback has given me a LOT to think about. Time for some changes and polishing, and we'll be back next week with better maps, all of us :D

Raide said:
Drive me...to HELL!!

The words uttered before this fateful event were "Drive me!" With Flag in hand, it was time to make our escape...or not.

All I remember was devolution saying "they've got the flag!" and me watching a Mongoose drive out of the base... then looking down into the water and seeing a mongoose floating there :lol

Raide

Quick Update.

Havok. Missing piece now fixed, more team spawns added, new ramps added so players can get to the higher tiers and the man-cannon is still there if you want to brave jumping into the middle. :lol

From the Team Spawn.
reach_7698257_Full.jpg

Overview of the map with the other teams + more cover for the new walkways.
reach_7698254_Full.jpg

In my File Share if you fancy downloading to tell me what you think of the changes.

Cheers!

Edit:

Also updated Trapped. More cover, weapons are in. Pistols around for more ammo (each base has 2 magnums on a 10 sec respawn), Focus Rifle in the sniper spawn (90 sec), Grenade Launcher in the Purple Base (120 sec), Shotguns by the ammo crates (60 sec)

Spawns for the glass bases now point outside towards the exit.

Glass covers over both teams ramps, just to add a little protection for those escaping the base. This also means you have to drive vehicles up from the left or right edge ramps, not straight up the middle. Also removed the window from the middle of the base, since it might help defenders kill the flag carrier if they make it inside. If they get up the ramps, pretty much home free.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
who do i add for customs? a while back i sent a friend request to ForgeGAF that remained pending forever, so i deleted it. i'd like to play with you guys, and get my map tested.

add LoopOfHenle

Top Bottom