• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Yeah last time it took a good while.. I wonder if just none of us had a great connection at the time

Turn off your torrents people! :lol

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Avoid this player xXXY0UNGMULAXXx.

This person is very unsportsmanlike.

He will kill you if your in "his" vehicle and call you horrible trash even though you only had said vehicle for 20 seconds

Raide

Tweaked Void v3 (Jonestown Map) so there should be plenty of spawns + team spawns. Weapons are in, decoration is in. Made for Slayer, KotH, CTF and Crazy King. :lol

Hopefully no insta-deaths this time.

reach_8280580_Full.jpg

Round 2! Hope we all don't die.

ckohler

I avoid anyone with xXXblahblahXXx in their gamertag. No offense to any gaffer like this but that indicates a total lack of creativity. It throws up a big red flag for them being an annoying kid or jerk.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
ckohler said:
I avoid anyone with xXXblahblahXXx in their gamertag. No offense to any gaffer like this but that indicates a total lack of creativity. It throws up a big red flag for them being an annoying kid or jerk.

I messaged him why did you kill me?

his reply: lol i let mr cousin have it cuz ur trash with it

I messaged him how can you tell who's trash withing 20 seconds?

his reply: i can when im at the top and your not

=/

The maps I played today I wish were in Matchmaking rather than the current maps, I have so much fun on them, even the really simple stripped down ones.

Devolution said:
The maps I played today I wish were in Matchmaking rather than the current maps, I have so much fun on them, even the really simple stripped down ones.

Well based on your performance in them you'd probably have a 20+ K/D spread in them :lol

Seriously though, it's really awesome that you join in and play on our maps to help test them, even if you're kicking our asses all the time :D

timetokill said:
Well based on your performance in them you'd probably have a 20+ K/D spread in them :lol

Seriously though, it's really awesome that you join in and play on our maps to help test them, even if you're kicking our asses all the time :D

That was a great session. Thanks for the invite. I had to answer a phone call in the last couple of games so I wasn't playing properly* but still managed to have tons of fun.

I'll post up some detailed impressions later.

Neck hurts due to tilting my head to the right for a good 20 minutes.

koshunter said:
That was a great session. Thanks for the invite. I had to answer a phone call in the last couple of games so I wasn't playing properly* but still managed to have tons of fun.

I'll post up some detailed impressions later.

Neck hurts due to tilting my head to the right for a good 20 minutes.

Thanks for playing! I think your map improved massively. And no problem with the phone call... you were on devolution's team so you being away kind of made it even :lol

ForgeGAF Customs Recap: 10/30/2010

Another great week for ForgeGAF customs... we played a lot of maps that were improved from last week, and a few with just a few tweaks to go before being ready for prime time. Excellent work.

Below is the playlist, along with a link to a film of each match. Go ahead and download them to your Xbox, but be warned they will only be up for about a week. I will delete them before next week's customs.

Playlist
- Proctin by K OS Master: Capture the Flag
- Trapped by Raide: Multi Flag CTF
- HARD ROCK HENGE by MDK Othello: Slayer Pro
- Great Bear Lodge by BEARCANO: One Flag CTF
- Glory 2 by Fine Wine Vine: Glory Multi CTF
- Long Walk, Short Bridge by LoopOfHenle: Slayer
- 'contestmap2' by MDK Othello: Slayer Pro
- Havok by Raide : Slayer
- Château by BEARCANO: Multi Flag CTF

The Players
- RaideUK
- | devolution |
- l3Lashsim1
- BEARCANO
- K OS Master
- Fine Wine Vine
- MDK Othello
- LoopOfHenle
- Barrow Roll

HUGE THANKS to the forgers and testers who made it possible, as always!

Raide

I had a great evening. Nice to meet up with everyone and test some ForgeGAF maps. I actually think we have some really promising maps and it was great to see more CTF maps coming through.

Thanks for being part of Mass Suicide Part II! Back to the drawing board. :lol

SpacLock

I had tons of fun playing with GAF tonight. There wasn't a single map that I did not enjoy. I'll write something about each map when I get some more time. Thanks again GAF.

I'll join ye next time hopefully. I had actually joined but by then ye already had 8 players and I didn't want to be breaking spawns and all that jazz.

SpacLock said:
I had tons of fun playing with GAF tonight. There wasn't a single map that I did not enjoy. I'll write something about each map when I get some more time. Thanks again GAF.

These two actually need to be switched around. Glory was mine and I think that Long Walk, Short Bridge was LoopOfHenle's.
Whoops! thanks for the note, I'll switch them right now.

Hydranockz said:
I'll join ye next time hopefully. I had actually joined but by then ye already had 8 players and I didn't want to be breaking spawns and all that jazz.
Yeah, sorry about that! you still could've stayed if you wanted though! Anyway I'll send you an invite a bit earlier next time.

Willeth

Anyone run into this bug? Loaded up Forge from boot and it said it was loaded my map, but loaded a blank Sword Base instead.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
great customs, gaf has a lot of great forged maps, and i'll second devolution by saying the majority played better than atom and cliffhanger.

quick thoughts on my map --- long walk, short bridge. i'm sad that the score limit was only 25. by the time i got into the grove, the game was over :(. yes i lost at my own map! personally, i'm thinking it was a bit small/chaotic for 4v4. maybe a revision with longer (2x) and slightly wider bridges should be in order.

i'll post more thoughts latter, and hope to see you guys next week (but in all likelyhood, that being my wifes due date for our first, i wont promise anything!).

SpacLock

Quick Impressions:

Proctin

Proctin was the first map played and it was the warm up round for me. Getting used to new teammates while learning a new map was a little tough at first, but the map was forged well enough that it was an easy learner, so I was able to feel comfortable rather quickly.

Most memorable moment:
Flag battles on the grass at the bottom. Too fun.

8x624i.jpg

Trapped

Trapped really lived up to its name after we lost our hog in the beginning due to my horrible driving. The quick loss of our hog (by me) caused our team to be somewhat trapped at our own base while the opposing team gunned us down mercilessly for a good portion of the beginning.

Trapped had a simple design that allowed me to jump in and know exactly what to do right away.

Most memorable moment:
Being gunned down by the opposing team's Warthog 3 times in a row.

10pps1t.jpg

Great Bear Lodge

This is the best 1 Flag I've played in Reach. Defense spawns inside the lodge where the flag is kept while Offense spawns outside. There's quite a few ways you can infiltrate the lodge to surprise the defending team, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was an easy feat. Getting into the lodge was actually pretty tough, and getting out of the lodge with a flag was really, really tough. (and extremely fun)

Most memorable moment:
Trying to get the flag through the main door each round. Many great battles were had there.

2s97ynr.jpg

2gt4ras.jpg

Long Walk, Short Bridge

The slayer settings were slightly off making the game end prematurely at a max score of 25, but the map was built very, very well sucking me in instantly. Great weapon placement and a very cool design made me want to start it again with the max sore at 50. Hopefully we'll be able to play this one again next Saturday, and it not, that might be a good thing since the creator is expecting his first born around that time.

Most memorable moment:
Great teamwork on the high bridges connecting the two bases.

Glory

Not gonna write anything up except for the most memorable moment which was when we had the Red team's flag 15 ft away from capture, but they stormed and destroyed us before we could get it there. Pics below.

zmi15h.jpg

23ifeja.jpg

Still have to write about contestmap2, Havok, HARD ROCK HENGE and Château.

Everyone was kind and I found myself forgetting that we were actually testing these maps. A couple of these really sucked me in to the point of where I believed it was a matchmaking game. Good games.

Dani said:
So why did you folks change ForgeGAF Customs to be on the same day just before regular HaloGAF Customs start?

Because nobody was around on Sundays

Also, I delivered a BTB map for you but I'm not sure if you guys played on it?

SolidEyeSystem said:
Oops, added the link into my previous post. I don't think team slayer goes well with the map, but one flag could work out.

Thanks for the impressions. I just watched the film a few times. Definitely some areas that I need to polish up, a few kill zones to add.

It is set up for CTF so hopefully HaloGAF can try that out sometime.

Why do you feel slayer didn't go well with the map? I'd love to see if I can improve on that experience as well.

Insaniac said:
why do customs have to be saturday night now :( i cant participate!

When are you available? We switched to Saturdays because Sundays weren't happening very consistently (lots of people unavailable). If you have a good time in mind though we can try an additional session :)

Insaniac

ehhh, basically any night that aren't saturday or monday are probably my best bet, I work till 1:30 AM EST saturday so thats my worst night

Raide

I am such an idiot.

I figure out why Void v3 kept killing people...nothing to do with spawns.

I had put a massive hard kill volume around the map instead of soft kill. Spawn, die...forever!

:lol :lol :lol

Retro

Raide said:
I am such an idiot.

I figure out why Void v3 kept killing people...nothing to do with spawns.

I had put a massive hard kill volume around the map instead of soft kill. Spawn, die...forever!

:lol :lol :lol

Yeah, you need to rename that sucker Jonestown, officially. Every time people set foot in that map, there's mass-suicide. Or Heaven's Gate, that's not too bad either.

In other news, I am seriously considering just throwing in the bare essentials for Slayer, CTF and Territories on Moonpool2 and not worrying about getting the spawns perfect until after I get more people playing it.

I really want to get to work on a new concept but I can't until I finish what I've started...

Raide

Retro said:
Yeah, you need to rename that sucker Jonestown, officially. Every time people set foot in that map, there's mass-suicide. Or Heaven's Gate, that's not too bad either.

In other news, I am seriously considering just throwing in the bare essentials for Slayer, CTF and Territories on Moonpool2 and not worrying about getting the spawns perfect until after I get more people playing it.

I really want to get to work on a new concept but I can't until I finish what I've started...

Yeah, tried Customs again last night. Everyone died. Again... :lol

Fixed now hopefully. :D

I know what you mean when it comes to different gametypes. Just pop the stuff in and see how things go. With CTF think more about the flag from an attacker and defender point of view. You don't want it too open with a nice easy trip to capture, or you don't want it too walled in that is becomes a nightmare for attackers to get within 20ft of the flag. :lol

Hopefully we can get some more customs going later today. Nobody has actually see past the spawn in the Jonestown map. :lol

op_ivy

- Great Bear Lodge by BEARCANO: One Flag CTF
came in for the last few minutes, so i cant say much other then it seemed well made with a nice flow for ctf. not sure how slayer would play out though.

- Glory 2 by Fine Wine Vine: Glory Multi CTF
again, great ctf map. map made sense immediately and the action was always quick and moving around the map. spawning seems to need work though, as i seemed to spawn over and over again immediately in front of our flag, facing a wall. even when the other team was within our base. also, as noted by others, the flag return time was waaaay too short.

- Long Walk, Short Bridge by LoopOfHenle: Slayer
my own map and i think it performed admirably with 4v4. the top of the bridges leading into bases seemed to be the focal points as planned, but i'd like more action below as well. maybe move the shotguns there?

- 'contestmap2' by MDK Othello: Slayer Pro
this map seemed a bit large for 4v4, and with pro settings it was especially difficult to navigate at first. i really liked the long site lines, and the use of the glass covers, but feel the map needs a bit more focus.

i really liked the scope of the map and the HUGE ramps leading up to the main focal point at the top. there were lots of great moments up there! i didnt like that there seemed to be an abundance of barriers where there shouldnt be (the square at the very top, and the sides with the angled bridge pieces coming together) and none where there should (= i fell off a lot).

- Château by BEARCANO: Multi Flag CTF
aside from missing the man cannons into each base entirely, this was another stellar ctf map. the camping spot above each teams flags made for some great teamwork and timing for an offensive move. i can also see this being an amazing slayer map and visually, its probably one of the most appealing forged creations out there.

SpacLock said:
Long Walk, Short Bridge

The slayer settings were slightly off making the game end prematurely at a max score of 25, but the map was built very, very well sucking me in instantly. Great weapon placement and a very cool design made me want to start it again with the max sore at 50. Hopefully we'll be able to play this one again next Saturday, and it not, that might be a good thing since the creator is expecting his first born around that time.

Most memorable moment: Great teamwork on the high bridges connecting the two bases.

thanks! i took some great screens earlier, i'll post em soon. feel free to test it without me if i'm busy with poopy diapers and an exhausted wife!

Raide

op_ivy said:
-
i really liked the scope of the map and the HUGE ramps leading up to the main focal point at the top. there were lots of great moments up there! i didnt like that there seemed to be an abundance of barriers where there shouldnt be (the square at the very top, and the sides with the angled bridge pieces coming together) and none where there should (= i fell off a lot).

Thanks for the feedback. Can you squiggle on the pic below where you think more cover is needed?. :lol

reach_7698254_Full.jpg

Edit: Also, does anyone that did the customs last night have any more feedback on my CTF map Trapped? Trying to fogure out what else I can change now before I put it on the 'Done' pile. :D

Honestly Raide, I think Trapped ran pretty perfectly as it was. Only thing I asked myself during the game was whether there was a plasma pistol or two on the map (one for each team max) simply for helping to bring down an opposing hog. But anyway I thought the map felt great, and in my opinion it's your best, most focused map that you've made. I wouldn't feel bad about putting it in the finished pile, at least until something major comes up in a game or something.

Raide

timetokill said:
Honestly Raide, I think Trapped ran pretty perfectly as it was. Only thing I asked myself during the game was whether there was a plasma pistol or two on the map (one for each team max) simply for helping to bring down an opposing hog. But anyway I thought the map felt great, and in my opinion it's your best, most focused map that you've made. I wouldn't feel bad about putting it in the finished pile, at least until something major comes up in a game or something.

Aww shucks!

Any thoughts on where to put the PP's? Maybe close to each base?

I added the Grenade Launcher to try and help with that but I think the PP's could work a little better, especially since I can have 2.

Retro

timetokill said:

I haven't played Trapped since the pistols and focus rifles were added, but adding a little anti-vehicle support sounds about right, and that's it. I wouldn't do too much else with the map and it's easily the best CTF map I've played in Reach yet. Really fantastic work.

Raide said:
Aww shucks!

Any thoughts on where to put the PP's? Maybe close to each base?

I added the Grenade Launcher to try and help with that but I think the PP's could work a little better, especially since I can have 2.

I'd consider near the base, but not inside them... otherwise you might get people hiding out in there taking potshots until the vehicles are disabled. Somewhere slightly in front of them might help, but in a highly-visible location (maybe throw a barrier in there and tuck the PP behind it?)

DD-11

Finally finished my third map, Reactor. It should work for CTF and slayer, and hold 6v6 or maybe more, I'm not really sure. It's two bases separated by a reactor core.

Two bridges span the divide, but are exposed and dangerous.
reach_8380683_Full.jpg

Dropping down a level lower can get you a rocket launcher and/or killed
reach_8380731_Full1.jpg

From the ramp room
reach_8380607_Full.jpg

reach_8380682_Full-1.jpg

And cave
reach_8380354_Full1.jpg

The long way around can be shortened significantly with well timed jumps
reach_8380705_Full.jpg

Once at the base, you get some reprieve by way of shield doors at the base entrance
reach_8380715_Full1.jpg

The other side of the base is a long, angled path. You'll find the cave in the middle.
reach_8380704_Full1.jpg

A rock arch to the left of the exit can give you some cover
reach_8380719_Full1.jpg

Edit:
Fileshare:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=8380666&player=Doub1e Down

Gametype:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6216657&player=Doub1e Down

Raide

timetokill said:
Yep, I agree with Retro there... put them near each base but not inside them. Just behind some point of cover somewhere.

I have added some Covenant Barriers, since they stand out a bit and should make it more obvious to players when people run for them.

Blue team has one on the left side (Viewpoint from spawning in the base) with 2 respawns behind it.

Red team have one on the left side (Viewpoint from spawning in the base) just up on the ledge. Again, 2 spawns are behind it.

Added to my File Share again, let me know if the placement is ok. I was trying to balance it so both team have to run roughly the same distance to grab it.

Also added another Mongoose for Blue team since they only had 1 and Red team had 2 available.

Trapped CTF

op_ivy

Raide said:
Thanks for the feedback. Can you squiggle on the pic below where you think more cover is needed?. :lol

reach_7698254_Full.jpg

more cover, or railings probably isnt needed... i just suck at new maps and fell off yours more then the rest :lol (maybe on the 2x2(?) flat pieces just after the ramps leading to the top center?)

but in the pic you can see the barriers that i think should be removed. the square at the top, and where the corner bridge platforms come together in the center at the bottom. seemed to really ruin, or impede movement in those areas

Reactor map looks great DD-11! Make sure to post a link so we can check it out when it's ready :D

Raide, I'll give your changes a look next time I hop into Forge.

Retro

DD-11 said:
Finally finished my third map, Reactor. It should work for CTF and slayer, and hold 6v6 or maybe more, I'm not really sure. It's two bases separated by a reactor core.

This is really impressive looking. Get us a link and we'll take a look around, and we'll be sure to get it into ForgeGAF Customs next week.

Speaking of which, I think I'm gonna spend part of tomorrow just biting the bullet and getting Moonpool 2 ready for a wider release. It's a pain in the ass though since large portions are underwater (and spawn/respawn points are flaky) and it's a really tight map to try and squeeze stuff into.

Next map may not be BTB, but it will definitely have some vehicles... I think. I'm juggling a few things.

Raide

op_ivy said:
more cover, or railings probably isnt needed... i just suck at new maps and fell off yours more then the rest :lol (maybe on the 2x2(?) flat pieces just after the ramps leading to the top center?)

but in the pic you can see the barriers that i think should be removed. the square at the top, and where the corner bridge platforms come together in the center at the bottom. seemed to really ruin, or impede movement in those areas

You mean the glass windows that link the middle platform to the outer ramps? I was wondering if changing that to a tunnel would work but then it would end up filling with grenades the second a red dot appears. :lol

Again, do you mean the glass covers than cover over the 2 corner bridges? They were put in at the start, before you had the extra walkways to get high. They might not be needed now, since people avoid the middle more now.

Top Bottom