• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

zumphry

Banned
Gonna try to get into customs.

Though, does anyone know if Forge has a limit on objects that can be a certain team color like Red or Blue? In Forge the colors show, but once in a custom game, some items are blue and red like they're supposed to, but others are the neutral white. Do I have to do them in specific ways, like put Team Color as Blue or Red, and not Object Color, or what?

ForgeGAF Customs Recap: 11/13/2010

Wow! Lot of people joined ForgeGAF customs today. Thanks! Last week we only got two maps played: Meltdown and (I think) Proctin, before my internet dropped. No such issues this week, happily. We didn't have a lot of regulars this week so I was able to try out a number of my maps -- thanks for that guys. We also tried a few from other friends and at least one from ForgeHub. Wish we could have tried the Donkey Kong one! Can be tough with so many players though.

Below is the playlist, along with a link to a film of each match. Go ahead and download them to your Xbox, but be warned they will only be up for about a week. I will delete them before next week's customs.

Playlist
- Opposition by TheLintendo: Capture the Flag
- Great Bear Lodge by BEARCANO: Capture the Flag
- valhavalanche by TheLintendo: Capture the Flag
- Bear Canyon by BEARCANO: 1 Flag CTF
- Turf by somebody on ForgeHub: Slayer
- Dispatch by ??: BTB Slayer
- Château by BEARCANO: Capture the Flag
- Dynamo by BEARCANO: Slayer
- Lookout by BlueNinja BE: Slayer

The Players
- | devolution |
- BEARCANO
- Azar42
- Monolith Gui
- Tawpgun
- Mr Kwatz
- Shake Appeal
- Sonics Youth
- Wispy Scoundrel
- Hydranockz
- Doub1e Down
- Mr Daravon

- Note: not everybody was present for every map. If I forgot anyone, let me know! I want to make sure everybody who helped/played is recognized :)

HUGE THANKS to the forgers and testers who made it possible, as always!

- Opposition by TheLintendo: Capture the Flag
Not bad at all... we played this with 8, but it seems like it might be best for 12. I still like the center area and what that leads to. Weapons seemed a lot more balanced than the last time I played on it.. not sure if they were even changed, though :lol Overall it went well. Usually ended up with two of us guarding the flag while the others went for it. Helped a lot to grab the shotgun and bring it back to the base!

- Great Bear Lodge by BEARCANO: Capture the Flag
Not sure why, but I wanted to see if regular CTF would work on Great Bear Lodge. I guess it did technically, but the chorus of "would've been better with One Flag" after the match said all that needed to be said. Definitely better for asymmetrical gametypes, if it's not going to be straight team slayer. I think my spawns on the other side of the lodge worked well though, as it encouraged people to go through the attic area and to drop down into the red team's flag spawn.

- valhavalanche by TheLintendo: Capture the Flag
I enjoyed this map quite a bit, but maybe because we won 3-0 :lol It's always fun to use vehicles and we were driving all over the place with them. Hard to say how balanced it was with only one try on it, but overall I enjoyed the map quite a bit. Right off we started by driving off a cliff and into the water, not knowing there was ground there to keep us alive :lol Great way to start a match and introduce the map.

Maybe too big for 6v6, at least with the current vehicle set. It was fun to drive around with the vehicles but starting with ARs wasn't a great idea. Then again I don't like messing with the Bungie gametypes since I like to aim for compatibility with the standard playset. Maybe I should just put more DMRs and Needle Rifles around the bases. Somebody suggested putting a Falcon or two into the map as well. I could see that working out pretty well as far as closing the space between the bases. could also reduce the spawn timers for the vehicles. Overall though, some changes definitely needed to be made as nobody touched the flag for either side :lol

- Turf by somebody on ForgeHub: Slayer
Purely hectic and had quite a bit of framerate issues. Too small for our 6v6 setup at the time.

- Dispatch by ??: BTB Slayer
This was a pretty fun map, though I didn't see much use of vehicles personally. The best strategy was to get on the slanted pieces overlooking the map and then just to use DMRs to pick people off from long range. On the ground it was hard to fight back against that. Otherwise, the map was quite a bit of fun, though I really wanted to mess around with vehicles more since it was so big.

- Château by BEARCANO: Capture the Flag
I wanted to try out the changes I had made to this map, which included more obvious and useful gravity lifts to take you from the first floor into the room on the second floor. Unfortunately it seems Forge erased those changes :( So we played on an old version, which I don't think works exceptionally well for CTF. the new lifts would've really helped. Question: do you guys think I should submit this map in the Team Slayer/Symmetrical Arena mode, or in CTF? I'm leaning towards the former, though I think with the changes that the map will perform really well for both slayer and objective types.

- Dynamo by BEARCANO: Slayer
Finally got to try out this map :lol It features rolling killballs that move around the map. People were very surprised to see the kill balls flying around :lol Even though I got, like, 1 kill on my own map, I thought it was a lot of fun. Only thing I think I need to change is to remove the snipers and to reduce the ammo in the shotguns and hammers. I thought I had reduced them already but I think I'll take out the spare clips altogether. Not sure if it's a bad idea to have two shotguns and two hammers. Maybe it is. Otherwise, more fun than I had expected to have on the map.

- Lookout by BlueNinja BE: Slayer
At this point we had 6 players so we finished up on a popular map from before, Lookout. I think this map was really made for FFA types, and it worked exceptionally well with that again this time. Everyone had a lot of fun and the map flowed really well. Lots of fun and a great way to end the session.

Insaniac said:
thx for the vids and impressions, did you happen to get a vid of meltdown from last week?

Wish I did, but since I had disconnected in the middle/end of it, I totally forgot to even grab it. Sorry :(

Insaniac

timetokill said:
Wish I did, but since I had disconnected in the middle/end of it, I totally forgot to even grab it. Sorry :(

it's all right still 1 more weekend till the forgetacular contest ends right?

It ends on the 28th so we have two more Saturdays. but we should probably try some mid-week things or maybe a Sunday as well next week.

GhaleonEB

The new Crown of Flies is very good. I like the layout around the outside and the decidedly hectic but important center. I wish I could give more comprehensive impressions, but we played 6 v 6 and it's definitely a 4 v 4 map - it was pretty chaotic. Fun, though.

-Yeti said:
Man, I keep missing all these Customs. :( I need a video of Yeti Bay! :lol

Sorry, I forgot you had changed it before customs this week and so I didn't download the newest version to test. Can you shoot me a link to it?

Azar

timetokill said:
Maybe too big for 6v6, at least with the current vehicle set. It was fun to drive around with the vehicles but starting with ARs wasn't a great idea. Then again I don't like messing with the Bungie gametypes since I like to aim for compatibility with the standard playset. Maybe I should just put more DMRs and Needle Rifles around the bases. Somebody suggested putting a Falcon or two into the map as well. I could see that working out pretty well as far as closing the space between the bases. could also reduce the spawn timers for the vehicles. Overall though, some changes definitely needed to be made as nobody touched the flag for either side :lol
I had fun on this map, and I think it has potential to be something really cool if changed to make scoring a flag easier. Offense never really got close to the flag, much less getting away with it. I think you should work to make the bridge a more focused combat arena, and maybe try to work something in that would give the offense an advantage after they push across the bridge--like maybe a teleporter into the base, or something.

The ramp on the side could also use a buff of some sort, since the defense could so easily spot people coming from a mile away. Maybe break off that sightline or have it somehow funnel straight into the base?

I know it's not easy to design triggers and such in Forge, but I think this map would be an ideal candidate for a more "staged" CTF layout that mimics opening the door on High Ground or the teleporter on Relic.

Azar said:
I had fun on this map, and I think it has potential to be something really cool if changed to make scoring a flag easier. Offense never really got close to the flag, much less getting away with it. I think you should work to make the bridge a more focused combat arena, and maybe try to work something in that would give the offense an advantage after they push across the bridge--like maybe a teleporter into the base, or something.

The ramp on the side could also use a buff of some sort, since the defense could so easily spot people coming from a mile away. Maybe break off that sightline or have it somehow funnel straight into the base?

I know it's not easy to design triggers and such in Forge, but I think this map would be an ideal candidate for a more "staged" CTF layout that mimics opening the door on High Ground or the teleporter on Relic.

Thanks! These are all good suggestions... it definitely was frustrating that nobody could really even touch the flag. I think in general the offense needs a bit of a buff to help things along. Triggers are indeed a pain so I will probably stay away from that unless I can think of something really compelling.

The ramp was intended as a way for the opposing team to make a quick move over (which is why it's one-sided) but I think you're right, that I need to go further than that. Right now the defense is a little underhanded, when you want the offense to be just a bit stronger.

GhaleonEB said:
The new Crown of Flies is very good. I like the layout around the outside and the decidedly hectic but important center. I wish I could give more comprehensive impressions, but we played 6 v 6 and it's definitely a 4 v 4 map - it was pretty chaotic. Fun, though.
Thanks, Ghaleon! I'm surprised you enjoyed yourself with that many people, but glad to hear you liked it. It's just about ready to send off for the slayer entry, so fingers crossed.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Thanks, Ghaleon! I'm surprised you enjoyed yourself with that many people, but glad to hear you liked it. It's just about ready to send off for the slayer entry, so fingers crossed.
One thing you knew not to do was over-engineer the map. So many maps on GAF customs are really cluttered, dense with objects and short sight lines. Your map captures that perfect simplicity of something like Citadel. A lot of other, similarly sized maps we've played would have filled in the hallways with blocks and columns. I think it's a sign of a good map when there's evidence of restraint in that regard. The primary design was good enough that it doesn't need to be festooned with clutter to work.
squidhands said:
Thanks again. I think cluttering up the map with a lot of extras would have just ended up making it seem smaller and more claustrophobic, which is bad news for any map that isn't playing Infection. I'm a carpenter by trade, so I tried to design the map in a way that would be plausible as an (once) occupied structure. Having lots of pillars and columns just don't make sense from a structural standpoint, especially in the far-flung future.
Heh. I definately shows, it's a very logical, precise layout that feels natural. One other benefit of that kind of design is the map is easy to grasp. One lap through, and people (even guys like me) know how to navigate it. That goes a long way.

I can't remember the name of the map, but we played one this weekend that had like, four distinct levels to it. It just kept going up and up, and each level was very dense with short sight lines. It was a classic less-is-more kind of map, where if that same concept were stripped down considerably, it would work much better.

Thanks again. I think cluttering up the map with a lot of extras would have just ended up making it seem smaller and more claustrophobic, which is bad news for any map that isn't playing Infection. I'm a carpenter by trade, so I tried to design the map in a way that would be plausible as an (once) occupied structure. Having lots of pillars and columns just don't make sense from a structural standpoint, especially in the far-flung future.

Raide

-Yeti said:
Is it possible to make teleporters team specific? In other words, can I make it so a teleporter can only teleport Blue Team?

Yes, I think you can set it to team only and then which team is allowed to access it.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
Saw this video at b.net from Forgehub, showing off some maps from their community.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&link=forgetastic1

Well, sort of. If I wanted to highlight maps, I'd do the opposite of what this video does. I couldn't get a feel for the layout of any of them. They definately have that zoomed in while vibrating camera move down, though.

The vibro-cam was annoying and gave people no idea if slowdown in each map was an issue. All I saw was a few fights in an area that looked like it could belong to every map. Apart from the infection one with people ALing to block people in, they all looked pretty good but the video did not tell people anything.

GhaleonEB

And done. I just submitted Crossroads to the Forgetacular contest. The file set is here.

I don't think it's perfect, but after a good six weeks of construction, iteration and playtesting, I think it's as good as I can make it. Were I to start over, I'd do a lot of things different, but at some point I just needed to wrap it up and move on, and I think this as good as I can do with the current design.

Thanks so much to the GAFers who endured playtests on the map, especially those early games where everyone spent a lot of time plunging to their deaths.

On to map #2.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
And done. I just submitted Crossroads to the Forgetacular contest. The file set is here.

I don't think it's perfect, but after a good six weeks of construction, iteration and playtesting, I think it's as good as I can make it. Were I to start over, I'd do a lot of things different, but at some point I just needed to wrap it up and move on, and I think this as good as I can do with the current design.

On to map #2.

Wish you all the best man. Most of the BTB maps I have seen tend to be way too cluttered and the framerate issue are really apparent. Crossroads runs really well and I hope people pay attention to it.

Onto the next map!

NOKYARD

GhaleonEB said:

I don't think it's perfect
Is it too late to let you know we tried to play FFA Slayer on it and were unable to spawn on the map. I realize it is a team focused map but shouldn't we have been able to spawn on a neutral spawn somewhere on the map?

GhaleonEB

NOKYARD said:
Is it too late to let you know we tried to play FFA Slayer on it and were unable to spawn on the map. I realize it is a team focused map but shouldn't we have been able to spawn on a neutral spawn somewhere on the map?
Yeah, I didn't build it for FFA. I could do a FFA iteration, but my intent was more along the lines of Vahalla or Avalanche - it's just not a FFA map, so I built the spawn scheme accordingly. (I called that out in my submission, hopefully it's not an issue.)

I could set it up for FFA, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be a pleasent map to spawn away from the base on. Sorry you guys had to suffer through an attempt.

Insaniac

any possibility of having customs this week at a different time? I really want to test my map / play with you guys and I never get to

Insaniac said:
any possibility of having customs this week at a different time? I really want to test my map / play with you guys and I never get to

I'm trying to figure out a good time this week, but it will probably be a spur of the moment attempt. Maybe tomorrow night. I dunno.

DD-11

BTB maps are tough, but I've finished one, 2Towers:

reach_9871712_Full.jpg

Here's an isometric view:
reach_9871725_Full.jpg

A teleporter in the heart of the base sends you to the top:
reach_9871714_Full.jpg

Here's the view:
reach_9871713_Full.jpg

The bridge to nowhere in the middle has four levels.
reach_9871709_Full.jpg

reach_9871724_Full.jpg

Map
Gametype

The gametype is pretty simple, it's the same one I use for all my maps.

NOKYARD

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I didn't build it for FFA.
Sorry, i might have not been clear.

The preferred method is to use neutral respawns encased in a red team spawn zone, rather than red team respawns. You can set game specific respawn zone for each of the intended variants (also allows the map to be loaded in FFA slayer and other unintended variants).

Respawn zones do much more than force red team to respawn on one side of a map. They also add intelligence and cohesiveness to allow respawns to act as a group, rather than as disconnected individuals. You have several weak zones but you also need an overall respawn zone to connect them and make them aware of each other.

This is covered in the Forgeworld Groups Article MAP SETUP: SPAWNING.

NOKYARD said:
Holy crap, I was expecting this group to be another ATLAS with limited input from Bungie. Those articles are incredibly informative; I'll be pouring over them before I send in my contest submission.

GhaleonEB

NOKYARD said:

The preferred method is to use neutral respawns encased in a red team spawn zone, rather than red team respawns. You can set game specific respawn zone for each of the intended variants (also allows the map to be loaded in FFA slayer and other unintended variants).

Respawn zones do much more than force red team to respawn on one side of a map. They also add intelligence and cohesiveness to allow respawns to act as a group, rather than as disconnected individuals. You have several weak zones but you also need an overall respawn zone to connect them and make them aware of each other.

I understand that is the preferred method, and read that article before beginning my spawn placement. After evaluating the two, I deliberately did not use it, because there was a specific way I wanted the spawns to work on the map. (It works pretty well from my reviews of the saved films.)

I will be trying the neutral/zone approach for my second map, though.

vhfive

NOKYARD said:

I can has link?
I'm almost done with a map (just have weapon placement and objective objects left) and would love to read that.

vhfive said:
I can has link?
I'm almost done with a map (just have weapon placement and objective objects left) and would love to read that.

Link. You have to join to read it, so I'll post the relevant stuff here:

JonnyOThan said:
Basic Setup
The spawning system is made up of two components: Spawn Points and Spawn Influencers. Players may only ever spawn at a Spawn Point. Spawn Influencers affect which spawn point a player will spawn at.

Spawn Points
There are two kinds of Spawn Points: Initial Spawn Points and Respawn Points. Initial Spawn Points are used at the beginning of a round. Respawn Points are used after a player has died once. If there are no available Initial Spawn Points then Respawn Points may be used instead.

Respawn Influencers
There are 3 kinds of Respawn Influencers that you can place in Forge: Respawn Zone, Weak Respawn Zone, and Anti Respawn Zone. All Respawn Influencers only affect the team that they belong to, or all teams if they belong to the neutral team.

Other factors in-game may create temporary influencers that you have no control over. For example, an ally player near a spawn point creates a weak positive influence, and an enemy player creates a medium negative influence. This is not the full list of things that create spawning influence.

A Respawn Zone is so powerful that it will always force players from that team to spawn at points inside of it. A Weak Respawn Zone is about as powerful as a nearby ally, and an Anti Respawn zone is equal in strength to the Weak Respawn Zone but in the negative direction. Stacking multiple Weak and Anti Zones on top of each other has no effect, unless there is a (strong) Respawn Zone covering the area as well.

All types of respawn influencers only affect the team that owns them (or all teams/players if they belong to neutral).

Non-neutral influencers do not affect FFA spawning, except in FFA gametypes with fake teams like Infection and Juggernaut. In Infection, humans are Red Team and zombies are Blue Team. In Juggernaut, the juggernaut is blue team and everyone else is red team.

Overlapping Zones
Using only Weak and Anti zones together can never have an effect greater than one single Weak or Anti zone. They DO cancel each other out though.

Weak + Anti = 0
Weak + Weak = Weak
Anti + Anti = Anti

UNLESS...
there is already a strong zone in the same area. Then they combine as you would expect:

Strong + Weak > Strong
Strong + Weak + Weak > Strong + Weak
Strong + Anti < Strong
Strong + Anti + Anti < Strong + Anti

And finally, two strong zones don't ever combine.

Setup Suggestions
NOTE: these are just suggestions - they don't work in all types of maps!

It's generally best practice to use the neutral team for all respawn points, and set Initial Spawns to a specific team. If you place an Initial Spawn near Respawn Points, then you'll only need one Initial Spawn - the first player to spawn there will cause his teammates to spawn nearby.

If your map is medium to large and symmetric or for an objective gametype, then you might want to cover each side of the map with a respawn zone, one for each team. This way, players in FFA games will be able to use all the spawn points, but players in team games will only spawn on their side.

You can also place weak respawn zones inside bases and bunkers (this approach can be used alone or with the above method) to help players spawn near useful weapons or in fortified positions. The weak zone won't be strong enough to overcome a nearby enemy or dead teammate, so it should remain safe.

Experts Only
You can use overlapping zones to very finely tune your zones by placing a neutral respawn zone over the entire map (which basically just raises the baseline for the whole map), and then loading up different areas with weak and anti zones. You should probably only use this as a last resort if other approaches fail.
The stuff about stacking zones is something I've never considered before.

vhfive

squidhands said:
Link. You have to join to read it, so I'll post the relevant stuff here:

The stuff about stacking zones is something I've never considered before.
thanks

I was already a member lol. I joined up when I was creating my invasion map (which I should probably finish at sometime).

Guys,

Decent chance I'll be around tonight to try out Forge maps, if anybody is interested. I'll post later with confirmation if it happens.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
timetokill said:
Guys,

Decent chance I'll be around tonight to try out Forge maps, if anybody is interested. I'll post later with confirmation if it happens.

if you get a chance, can you run long walk short bridge again and ragnarok?

Raide

Update Ahoy!

After a nice break, I am back to random Forging. :lol

Playing around with 2 new maps and reworking an older 1.

1) Older reworking. Slight terrain + platform based map. Larger space to move around and various ways to access the upper and lower levels. Currently built around team objective games like CTF. Not sure about it yet but it is a little bigger than some of my other symmetrical maps.

reach_9958660_Full.jpg

2) Called SWAT-Arena. Both teams start in a small room with windows that show the other team. Step into a teleport and appear in a sealed room on the left for Blue, or right for red. 4v4 and spawns respawn you in the sealed room with a one-way shield protecting you.

The layout is symmetrical and cover-based. While the upper ramps give you a vantage point, you're also exposed to enemy fire. trying to make a very tight team-SWAT style map. Those brave enough could also run for the man-cannon and charge into the fray. :lol

reach_9958495_Full.jpg

reach_9958386_Full.jpg

3) Called Storm. I wanted to make an asymmetric map with a defendable base and an open D-Day landing style approach. It could either work as a typical Assault or 1-Flag map but I also thought it could be interesting to play it another way. On spawn, the red team would spawn with the blue teams flag already. They would then have to make the journey to the other side of the map, where the blue team spawn. The benefit the blue team has is if they get their own flag back, it returns to the base, thus pushing red team back to collect it again.

In my File Share if anyone fancies checking them out and letting me know what they think.

Insaniac

seeing as how another week has passed and ForgeGAF customs will be coming up tomorrow, I am putting in a formal request to push the time to around 2 EST because I haven't had any chance to participate and I'd like to get a final test on my maps before the forgetac contest ends.

All right, we're coming up on just over a week before Forgetacular submissions are due. That means time is running out to get your map polished and tested in time for submission.

As a quick recap, here's the rules:

Map Types
- Invasion
- BTB - 8v8
- Symmetrical Arena -- 4v4 and 8 player FFA
- CTF -- 4v4 CTF (1 flag or 2 flag), symmetrical or asymmetrical
- Team Slayer - 4v4
- Infection
- Race

Your entry MUST HAVE:
- 3 screenshots
- 1 saved film of the map being played as intended
- a "set" on bungie.net that includes your map, your 3 screenshots, and your film clip

So tomorrow is an excellent time to test your maps and get a saved film! We're going to start at 11am PST/2pm EST at Insaniac's request.

We're going to compose a playlist of maps to try, and we may play some maps twice if we want to try multiple gametypes (at the author's request). Remember: If you are present your map WILL be played, assuming we have the appropriate numbers. If you are not present, we can't make any guarantees.

Tomorrow's playlist (updated as requests come in):

- Château (4v4 Team Slayer)
- Château (8 player FFA)
- Great Bear Lodge (1 Flag CTF)
- Meltdown (2 Flag CTF)
- Meltdown (4v4 Team Slayer)
- Opposition (2 Flag CTF)
- Sierra (2 Flag CTF)
- Reactor (2 Flag CTF)
- Solace (2 Flag CTF)
- 2Towers (2 Flag CTF - BTB)

If you want your map tested, post it and the one or two gametypes you'd like played on it (in order of preference) and put up a link to your latest version so I can download it.

GhaleonEB

timetokill said:
All right, we're coming up on just over a week before Forgetacular submissions are due. That means time is running out to get your map polished and tested in time for submission.

As a quick recap, here's the rules:

Map Types
- Invasion
- BTB - 8v8
- Symmetrical Arena -- 4v4 and 8 player FFA
- CTF -- 4v4 CTF (1 flag or 2 flag), symmetrical or asymmetrical
- Team Slayer - 4v4
- Infection
- Race

Your entry MUST HAVE:
- 3 screenshots
- 1 saved film of the map being played as intended
- a "set" on bungie.net that includes your map, your 3 screenshots, and your film clip

So tomorrow is an excellent time to test your maps and get a saved film! We're going to start at 11am PST/2pm EST at Insaniac's request.

We're going to compose a playlist of maps to try, and we may play some maps twice if we want to try multiple gametypes (at the author's request). Remember: If you are present your map WILL be played, assuming we have the appropriate numbers. If you are not present, we can't make any guarantees.

Tomorrow's playlist (updated as requests come in):

- Château (4v4 Team Slayer)
- Château (8 player FFA)
- Great Bear Lodge (1 Flag CTF)

If you want your map tested, post it and the one or two gametypes you'd like played on it (in order of preference) and put up a link to your latest version so I can download it.
Be sure to tag your content accordingly, as well. Link to the contest rules here.

All files should be grouped into a corresponding “Set” on Bungie.net, and the map and files should be tagged “CONTEST-XXX” where “XXX” is the game-type it was designed for. For example, “CONTEST-INV” or “CONTEST-CTF” or “CONTEST-TS.”​

Top Bottom