• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Falt

Raide said:
You can restrict Teleporters but not Man-cannons. Unless there is a reason you don't want it, having vehicles firing from cannons can actually lead to some funny stuff. :lol

Getting people to play your map gives you some interesting feedback on the way different people attack and defend objectives. Making sure people are not getting donged across the map when they spawn, is also a great thing you will learn.

I look forward to seeing your map once you upload it. I can give you some more feedback once you send it to your File Share.

Well, I have two man cannons on the map that lead to a high structure that can only be reached via man cannon. The structure itself is strictly built for infantry. The only safe way down is via teleporter. Not even 30 seconds into the first play test last night and a hog accidentally hit a man cannon and ended up stuck up their until it was destroyed. It didn't break the game but it irked me.

I'm going to get a few more play tests under my belt before I put it up in my file share. I'll post pics later on tonight though.

This is my first map so I'm still getting to grips with spawns and weapon placement. So if anything, it'll probably need a huge overhaul at some stage. That said, when it does go up I'm looking forward to the feedback.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Falt said:
Well, I have two man cannons on the map that lead to a high structure that can only be reached via man cannon. The structure itself is strictly built for infantry. The only safe way down is via teleporter. Not even 30 seconds into the first play test last night and a hog accidentally hit a man cannon and ended up stuck up their until it was destroyed. It didn't break the game but it irked me.

I'm going to get a few more play tests under my belt before I put it up in my file share. I'll post pics later on tonight though.

This is my first map so I'm still getting to grips with spawns and weapon placement. So if anything, it'll probably need a huge overhaul at some stage. That said, when it does go up I'm looking forward to the feedback.

couldnt you place some columns, or other barricades, around the man cannon to block vehicles but not infantry?

mda_0504h.jpg

Falt

So, here's what I've been working on the past few days. Working title Glade, a work in progress. CTF/Slayer 8-12 players.

panoramic.jpg

topdown.jpg

reddbase.jpg

Red Base

redbaseview.jpg

View from Red Base

bluebase.jpg

Blue Base

bluecannon.jpg

Blue Mancannon

blueside.jpg

Blue Side

bigrock.jpg

bigrockiso.jpg

Central Structure "Big Rock"

cargo.jpg

Cargo Hallway

rocketview.jpg

Rocket Spawn view of Blue Base.

All in all, I want a symmetrical(ish) map that supports vehicle play similar to Valhalla or Timberland (Halo PC).

op_ivy said:
couldnt you place some columns, or other barricades, around the man cannon to block vehicles but not infantry?
I played around with placing columns in front. It worked a treat but looked clunky and out of place. Need to play test more before I settle. Either let hogs fly, grin and bear it or put bollards in and face the ugly.

Raide

Falt said:
So, here's what I've been working on the past few days. Working title Glade, a work in progress. CTF/Slayer 8-12 players.

All in all, I want a symmetrical(ish) map that supports vehicle play similar to Valhalla or Timberland (Halo PC).

I played around with placing columns in front. It worked a treat but looked clunky and out of place. Need to play test more before I settle. Either let hogs fly, grin and bear it or put bollards in and face the ugly.

Looking good. Let me know when you upload your map for testing. :D

zumphry

Banned
Anybody willing to help me set up a map for Invasion? The map is already set up for CTF, Bomb, and Territories, but I need help setting up each phase's vehicles, weapons, and spawns. Currently it's going to be a Territories phase, Bomb phase, and a final Core capture phase with Spartans on the offense. Thanks.

NOKYARD

Falt said:
Use a teleporter sender node set to everything BUT infantry which encompass the entire man canon. Then set the receiver node just past the man canon. This way vehicles will seem to pass through the man canon, but players will still be able to use them.

qirex99

Banned
hey Ive been keen to get on some gaf customs.

how do I get on?

my gt=qirex, can you guys send me an invite next time?

sound like good fun!

ForgeGAF customs tomorrow! It's our last day to try out maps for the Forgetacular contest and record some videos.

Hopefully you guys can make it. Insaniac, would you like to try 11am PST/2pm EST again? Raide, Retro, can you guys make it? Any other regulars? Yeti?

zumphry

Banned
timetokill said:
ForgeGAF customs tomorrow! It's our last day to try out maps for the Forgetacular contest and record some videos.

Hopefully you guys can make it. Insaniac, would you like to try 11am PST/2pm EST again? Raide, Retro, can you guys make it? Any other regulars? Yeti?

I'll try to get on.

____

Edit: Like I asked before, could someone help me set up Invasion in this map I'm currently working on? Maybe like before customs or after, or something? Please?

ZayneH said:
I'll try to get on.

____

Edit: Like I asked before, could someone help me set up Invasion in this map I'm currently working on? Maybe like before customs or after, or something? Please?

I hope somebody can. I've never attempted it myself. But if you're on I can try helping out in some way after customs.

Insaniac

timetokill said:
I hope somebody can. I've never attempted it myself. But if you're on I can try helping out in some way after customs.

i can't make it tomorrow guys sorry. Good luck with the forgetac!

zumphry

Banned
timetokill said:

Alright, thanks. I'm getting confused by the different spawns and weapons that would be up in invasion compared to regular Slayer/CTF, etc.

just tray

Banned
K I know this the best FPS so far release and Forge sounds interesting. How do I start making levels.

What tips can y'all offer me?

vetrox

Thought I'd share a map I've been working on then and again since release!

Trinidad
Tall Forerunner structure, housing what is believed to be water monitoring and purification technology. [ 2-12 players, v1.0 ]

It's a medium sized, symmetrical map made primarily for FFA but teams should work just as well. Due to the map being sectioned into three equal parts odd setups like 3v3v3 will probably be fun.
Slayer, regular KoTH or Crazy King are ideal. Also made to work with Headhunter and Oddball. Not tested for any other gametype, although Juggernaut, Elite Slayer etc shouldn't be a problem.

A few changes were made to the top floor for KoTH gametypes.

Since it doesn't feature alot of cover and has easy and fast access to most areas, players have to keep moving.
Traversing a three story Forerunner complex, players race to control the killzone in the center of the top floor.

Here they fight in a somewhat open area, with as many entrances as escape routes. In the center of this killzone there's a vertical pipe (holding a overshield), which leads down to the bottom floor.

Way above the map both a shotgun and a rocket launcher spawn, falling down towards the hole in the top floor. If Players don't notice these weapons in time to catch them, they continue down to the bottom floor. Here it's dangerous to try to run for them, if not grabbing the overshield on the way!

The floating pyramids with the health and concussion rifles are accessible for players who chose either jetpack or sprint, jumping from the platforms above.

I've only played the map in 2-player split-screen mode, so I hope it doesn't lagg so much it's unplayable with more players.

op_ivy

timetokill said:

i'll be there. i made some changes to long walk, short bridge that i'm curious to get feedback on, and i need a video. would also like to try playing ragnarok if we have a large enough turn out

op_ivy

timetokill said:
All right, since Insaniac isn't playing, I'm going to shoot for 1 or 2pm PST, meaning starting around 4-5pm EST, or 9-10pm GMT.

shit, missed this post earlier... i'll try to be on then

vhfive

I really wish I could join but I work from 5pm-10pm at one job then 10pm-6am at another.
If you guys could play Reactor with 8 players I would love you and if you play it twice I would love you forever (once 4v4 and once ffa).

Okay, ForgeGAF customs in 15 minutes!

Here's what we'll be playing, with any players present with their maps getting priority. Note: if your map isn't on the list, post a link to it here and the gametype you want to try on it, or better yet -- join ForgeGAF customs (XBL: BEARCANO)

- Château (4v4 Slayer)
- Great Bear Lodge (4v4 Slayer)
- Yeti Bay (4v4 CTF) (I assume? Yeti, let me know if you want to try something different)
- Long Walk, Short Bridge
- Trinidad (4v4 Slayer)
- Reactor (4v4 Slayer, 8player FFA) -- vhfive
- Roost (Slayer)
- Boomer (Slayer)

- ... and any others we can get!

op_ivy

need a few more people... please, i need a replay to submit my map :(

<--- LoopOfHenle

Gui_PT

How long 'til customs are over? I'm busy with something at the moment, but I'd love to hop on and help you guys with that.

How long, Gui? We've yet to get started, getting closer to the # we need. I think there was a little confusion (my fault) as to whether we were starting at 1pm PST or 2pm PST. :lol

Gui_PT

timetokill said:
How long, Gui? We've yet to get started, getting closer to the # we need.

It'll probably take an hour =\
I'll just post something here once I'm available in case you guys are still going on and in need of a few people.

zumphry

Banned
Damn, I probably missed customs. Hopefully you guys don't find Roost to be too horrible (and I already have 1.2 done, so if there's specific complaints I can just do a Steve Jobs :lol )

vetrox said:
Thought I'd share a map I've been working on then and again since release!

Trinidad
Tall Forerunner structure, housing what is believed to be water monitoring and purification technology. [ 2-12 players, v1.0 ]

Looks nice, reminds me a bit of Halo 1's maps. To me, the closer people get to doing Halo 1 maps mixed with Halo's trend of going towards team based maps, the better.

ForgeGAF Customs Recap: 11/27/10

What started off extremely slowly (three of us in the lobby, Shake coming in and presumably getting bored and then leaving, etc.) turned into a hugely successful ForgeGAF customs! We played a lot of games on a lot of maps.

Playlist
- Lookout by BlueNinja BE: FFA Slayer
- Trinidad by Washaa: Slayer
- Yeti Bay by RebornYeti: Capture the Flag
- Long Walk, Short Bridge by LoopOfHenle: Slayer
- valhavalanche by TheLintendo: Capture the Flag
- Great Bear Lodge by BEARCANO: Slayer
- CTF-SIERRA by Doub1e Down: GT-Sierra
- BTB-2TOWERS by Doub1e Down: Capture the Flag
- CTF-Solice by Doub1e Down: GT-Sierra
- Reactor by Doub1e Down: GT-Sierra
- Transept by Rob Oplawar: Slayer
- Transept by Rob Oplawar: Capture the Flag
- Seashell by BEARCANO: Capture the Flag
- Château by BEARCANO: Slayer
- Château by BEARCANO: Capture the Flag
- vertichron 34 by KodRaiN: Slayer Pro
- Witch by Aphoristic: Slayer Pro
- Roost by ZayneHumphrey: Multi Flag DMR
- Dawn by ZayneHumphrey: Team DMRs
- Dawn by ZayneHumphrey: One Bomb Assault
- Roost by ZayneHumphrey: Multi Flag DMR
- Sandybridge by GhaleonEB: Crossroads CTF

... and at that point, I had to call it as I had to get going... but hey, over 4 hours on Halo :lol

I may add a list of players later if anybody wants it. Otherwise, you know who you are and how much I love you ;)

On that note: HUGE THANKS to the forgers and testers who made it possible, as always!

DD-11

Yeah, it was a good time. I had to go after about two hours and figured it'd soon be over, but I hope today is a sign of things to come.

I can say that I've spent far too much time forging and not enough time playing, so some of my comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

Long Walk, Short Bridge

I've played this a few times now, and it's pretty solid. At first I was missing the man canons, but near the end of the match I realized they were moved so I jumped in and died upon landing as the other team seemed to be waiting for me. :lol If I have a complaint about this map it's that there seems to be little use of the lower levels. It's a kill zone. I'm not sure of how to fix it (take out radar?), but it seems to get very little use.

valhavalanche

Played this one several times now and I'd like something a little more capable of taking out a vehicle at the base. The bases have inadequate cover and no weapons to really threaten a hog. A plasma pistol maybe? An enclosure around the flag so the attackers can't get cover from the gunner while grabbing the flag? I also feel helpless whenever I spawn by the large disc on the beach. It's so far away from the fight and I again seem to be getting eaten alive by vehicles because there's no where to go.

Great Bear Lodge

This map is always fun. The gametype was a work in progress, but I love the space. The sight lines are good, and the verticals are well thought out. The outside base is a little cramped though.

We played four of my maps, all of them have never been played and it showed I think. If I were to rank them in order of readiness:

Reactor Last of the four played

This one seemed to play surprisingly smoothly as I thought i'd have the most rough edges.

Were the bridges down the middle tough to cross successfully? Did anyone bother to get the rockets (or even notice them) below? A level down from the bridges is a smaller bridge with rockets and lifts back up.

CTF-Solice Third of the four played.

Solice seems ok. I don't think anyone used (or noticed) the back entrance to the base (teleporter to under the base, lift to flag spawn). Most seemed to take the straight route through the middle. The higher level didn't get much action. Was it unfamiliarity with the map or was it just not useful?

BTB-2TOWERS PlLayed second.

This was was ok and needs some work. The stationary guns were useless. It seemed impossible to capture the flag also. I'm going to have to think of a way to make that easier. I don't want to open up the back door for escapes, because that would be too easy and everyone would take that.

There were a few mis-spawns. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm going to have to look at my zones.

The mid field structure didn't see much action. Most of the fighting was done in the field and that wasn't anticipated. I had hoped that the mid-field would be a strong point for an attacking team, but it was largely skipped over as far as I could tell.

CTF-SIERRA Played first.

I think I'm going to have to rethink (and fix a few things) this one. It's too cramped in front of the bases. It's possible to make it across the top the rocks between the bases. One spawn is too close the an edge. The armor abilities in a single room didn't work--every time I went there it was empty. I think I might put the sword in that room and spread the AAs around the map. No one seemed to take the long way around the back or take the grav lift to the middle of the base.

I was happy with how the sunken room with the crates played. It was being controlled quite skillfully by the red team. I also liked the corridor fights with the ramps.

Transept

This was a very nicely put together map. It had some rough framerate though. The central architecture is awesome, but is likely the culprit.

This will be a great map with some tweaks though. I will say that it is dead easy to defend the bases (too many safe areas for defenders). I thought the look was perfect, and the vertical space was nicely done. I'd like a little more room up there though.

Seashell

I remember liking this map despite the disclaimer about it being unfinished or something. If it has one fault it's that it's too big and unfocused. Most battles around the bases are 1v1 or worse for the attacker. By the time an attacking team gets there most of them are dead. Had fun playing it though.

DD, Reactor was by far my favorite of your maps. I didn't notice the rockets so that might have been part of why they didn't get used much -- just out of sight, out of mind.

vhfive

shit I didn't realize someone else named their map Reactor. oops

did my reactor get played? I finished the map the map super late into this forgetacular contest but would still like to submit it. If not no big deal maybe I'll try to get some people together when I wake up in about 6 hours.

op_ivy

DD-11 said:
Long Walk, Short Bridge

I've played this a few times now, and it's pretty solid. At first I was missing the man canons, but near the end of the match I realized they were moved so I jumped in and died upon landing as the other team seemed to be waiting for me. :lol If I have a complaint about this map it's that there seems to be little use of the lower levels. It's a kill zone. I'm not sure of how to fix it (take out radar?), but it seems to get very little use.

yeah, i'm aware that the lower bridges dont get much use. i tried to address that by moving the shotguns from the top of the bases to one side and placing a grenade launcher on the other, so some traffic WILL go there, but i'm actually perfectly ok with it just being a safe escape from the madness on top of the bridges. i also think they would get A LOT more use in other game modes, particularly CTF, which LWSB supports (but didnt get tested)

thanks for the feedback! it was a hell of a match too, 50 - 49 with me nabbing the game winning kill... from the bottom portion of the bridge i must add ;)

op_ivy

vetrox said:
Awesome, I thought I uploaded the map too late for customs. Any thoughts?

some quick thoughts... the bottom, sea-level, portion was somewhat difficult to navigate without falling into the depths, and getting back inside the base was a bitch, as you are completely open as you come in through the shield doors, especially if someone is waiting with the shotgun!

not sure if it was a due to ignorance of the maps layout, the chaos that was that lower center portion where the bottom man cannons put you, or just not good map movement, but i ended up seeing very little of the map in our match.

Raide

God to see all went well. I have been away for the weekend, so I missed the Customs. Sounds like everyone had fun. Hopefully everyone got enough footage and bits they need for the competition. Good luck all!!

vhfive said:
shit I didn't realize someone else named their map Reactor. oops

did my reactor get played? I finished the map the map super late into this forgetacular contest but would still like to submit it. If not no big deal maybe I'll try to get some people together when I wake up in about 6 hours.

We actually didn't... we had a ton of people with maps and I got confused about which Reactor was which. I think there are actually three GAF maps named Reactor :lol

If you need an extra person to test the map today let me know, and I'll try to hop on. Sorry about that!

Oh man, stupid Thanksgiving Holiday making it so I can't do Customs. :(

Sorry I couldn't make it so I could play my map with you guys (as well as play the other great looking maps), but thanks for creating a film of the match, timetokill! Just in time too. :D

Also, for anyone who played Yeti Bay for the first time, what did you think of it?

EDIT: Aaaaannd Submitted! I wish anyone who has entered in the contest good luck. It would be sweet to have a Gaffer get their map in matchmaking!

For anybody who still needs their map tested. I am going to host a customs match tonight at 8 EST for those last minute needs. Just let me know somehow if you would like to attend.
GT: AlmostMilk

op_ivy

-Yeti said:
Oh man, stupid Thanksgiving Holiday making it so I can't do Customs. :(

Sorry I couldn't make it so I could play my map with you guys (as well as play the other great looking maps), but thanks for creating a film of the match, timetokill! Just in time too. :D

Also, for anyone who played Yeti Bay for the first time, what did you think of it?

EDIT: Aaaaannd Submitted! I wish anyone who has entered in the contest good luck. It would be sweet to have a Gaffer get their map in matchmaking!

to be honest, i'm getting it confused with valhavalanche, which seems similar. i liked both though, sorry i cant be more specific!

yetidome was fun to screw around with while we waited for the room to fill, though your soft kill zones kick in too close to the edge of the map.

Can everybody who submitted to the Forgetacular Competition please post their submitted File Set? I'd love to compile a list of the submitted maps.

vetrox

op_ivy said:

some quick thoughts... the bottom, sea-level, portion was somewhat difficult to navigate without falling into the depths, and getting back inside the base was a bitch, as you are completely open as you come in through the shield doors, especially if someone is waiting with the shotgun!

not sure if it was a due to ignorance of the maps layout, the chaos that was that lower center portion where the bottom man cannons put you, or just not good map movement, but i ended up seeing very little of the map in our match.

Hey, thank you for your thoughts!
I haven't played the map with more people than me and my brother, so this is the kind of info I need.

Using the gravity lifts at the center was intended to be risky, but I hoped the lower level would cope with the traffic the man cannons would place there - I might have made it too tight?

I hope players will enjoy the map more after playing it a few times. Of course, good design says this shouldn't be nessecary :p

Willeth

Hey guys, if any of you are capable of playing a single Invasion game on a custom map right now we'd appreciate it. The film Fyre needs for his Forgetacular submission got corrupted, so we need to have a game ASAP as we're pretty close to the deadline.

If anyone can join, fire a message to FyreWulff Rex, Bunzl, or Willeth (or just join directly) and we'll get you in ASAP. I'll edit this message when we're done, so if there's no edit after this, please join!

EDIT: We've got everyone we need, guys. Thanks.

Top Bottom