• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Anybody else gonna be around tomorrow at 11am/2pm EST? It would really help if we could get 8 that we could rely on for an hour or two.

raide? retro? haven't seen you guys in a while.

Retro

timetokill said:
Anybody else gonna be around tomorrow at 11am/2pm EST? It would really help if we could get 8 that we could rely on for an hour or two.

I've been busy lately, looking for work, helping my future in-laws get their house ready for winter, etc. Haven't even had time to drop spawn points into Moonpool 2, and I'm not expecting to have it ready for the Forge contest either.

I've been slowly adding more maps to my download queue, so the next time I actually play I'll have like 4 or 5 maps to try out.

Sorry I haven't been around, but... Life trumps video games, sadly.

DD-11

I have four maps that I'd really like to get tested. I know that's asking for too much because there are plenty of quality GAF maps, but maybe customs will go long and more maps will be needed.

Anyway, I'll list them in order and I'll be happy for whatever gets played. 2Towers is certainly the largest as it's a btb map. All are best played as 2-flag CTF with the following gametype:
Gametype

Sierra
reach_3804981_Full.jpg

Reactor
reach_8380607_Full.jpg

Solice
reach_6217897_Full.jpg

2Towers
reach_9871712_Full.jpg

Raide

timetokill said:

I should be around, like Retro, all manner of RL stuff comes up which leads to no Halo time. :lol

Since I cannot enter the Forge Competition, I am more than happy to help people test their creations before they send them off.

I might actually see if the deadly "Jonestown Map" actually works. :D

DD-11, I downloaded all your maps, and we'll try to get to them as time permits :) Are you submitting them to the Forgetacular competition? If so, I'm not sure they allow custom gametypes... so maybe it would be best to play normal CTF? Let me know.

Retro said:
I've been busy lately, looking for work, helping my future in-laws get their house ready for winter, etc. Haven't even had time to drop spawn points into Moonpool 2, and I'm not expecting to have it ready for the Forge contest either.

I've been slowly adding more maps to my download queue, so the next time I actually play I'll have like 4 or 5 maps to try out.

Sorry I haven't been around, but... Life trumps video games, sadly.
UNACCEPTABLE.

:p Seriously though, hope your RL stuff works out.
And that's a huge shame about not entering the contest! If all you need is some spawn stuff, put up your latest version and maybe I can help out a bit :)

Raide said:
I should be around, like Retro, all manner of RL stuff comes up which leads to no Halo time. :lol

Since I cannot enter the Forge Competition, I am more than happy to help people test their creations before they send them off.

I might actually see if the deadly "Jonestown Map" actually works. :D

Hope you are around! It's a shame you can't enter, I think Trapped would have a great shot at winning. But of course your testing and insight is always appreciated.

If nothing else, Jonestown is always good for a laugh :lol Gotta say I am really curious about it though. If for no other reason than I've never gotten to see it other than in 5 second increments.

Insaniac said:
I've also got an extra person likely joining us
Good to hear! Hopefully we can get to 8 pretty quickly so we can get straight into the maps.

Raide

timetokill said:
Hope you are around! It's a shame you can't enter, I think Trapped would have a great shot at winning. But of course your testing and insight is always appreciated.

If nothing else, Jonestown is always good for a laugh :lol Gotta say I am really curious about it though. If for no other reason than I've never gotten to see it other than in 5 second increments.

To be honest, I am not sure what the rest of the map looks like either. :lol

For those that can enter, I am more than happy to offer feedback etc. Sometimes you just need people playing the map to figure out the little details and issues. Best of luck to all those entering.

Raide said:
To be honest, I am not sure what the rest of the map looks like either. :lol

For those that can enter, I am more than happy to offer feedback etc. Sometimes you just need people playing the map to figure out the little details and issues. Best of luck to all those entering.

So helpful :)

Anyway, looks like we're shooting for 7pm GMT. Hope to see you there, Raide :) For me though, it's off to bed for now.

Gah! Another Customs missed. :(

If it wouldn't be too much of a hassle, could you get a game on Yeti Bay?

Also, would it be possible to get a saved film of the match?

Sorry if that's too much to ask, but I would really love to finally submit it into the Contest.

Many thanks!

koshunter said:
Did you guys already start or is there some room left?

Plenty of room -- I was going to invite you when somebody else showed up :lol Right now Insaniac isn't even around, and he was the one that requested this time :lol

Raide

Good games all. Really nice set of maps tonight. Good to see CTF maps coming through.

Will post some feedback once I type everything up.:D

Insaniac

sorry i had to bail early guys, i had work, but thanks to everyone for coming online early so that I could play and test my maps

We really gotta figure out Raide's mic situation. It explains SO much from previous times, though.

I can't tell you how many times Raide will be talking along with somebody else... so I just hear two people talking at once, but of course they don't hear each other talking so they just keep going.

So if you wonder why sometimes I just say, "yeah" or do a small laugh, it's because it's hard as hell to tell what anybody just said, and I'm not about to try mediating that all the time :lol

Raide

timetokill said:
We really gotta figure out Raide's mic situation. It explains SO much from previous times, though.

I can't tell you how many times Raide will be talking along with somebody else... so I just hear two people talking at once, but of course they don't hear each other talking so they just keep going.

So if you wonder why sometimes I just say, "yeah" or do a small laugh, it's because it's hard as hell to tell what anybody just said, and I'm not about to try mediating that all the time :lol
:lol

I must have some setting on somewhere that mutes non-friends. Once I add them, all is fine. :D

Edit: Hold on. Checked my xbox.com Online Safety Settings, voice and video set to Friends Only. I don't remember choosing that. :lol Will have to test later.

Raide said:

I must have some setting on somewhere that mutes non-friends. Once I add them, all is fine. :D

Edit: Hold on. Checked my xbox.com Online Safety Settings, voice and video set to Friends Only. I don't remember choosing that. :lol Will have to test later.

I'll bet that was it!! :lol

Raide

Custom Feedback. (Not sure if this was the exact order of maps played)

1) CTF on Meltdown v2.

Nice layout but it seems like the above areas are hardly used during CTF. Some got a little confused as to where they should take the flag but that is down to not knowing the map. While the map does feel a little cluttered in places, it gives people the chance to try out all of the AA's. Hologram was put to good use due to the number of blind corners. AL and DS had their uses for defending the flag.

After watching the replays, most of the action does seem to happen where your flag spawns. So good sight-lines for attackers and defenders but as soon as they get around the corner, it can be way too late to react. Maybe having 2 man-cannons to access the higher levels, maybe middle of the map. This should make it less frustrating for attacking teams to cover ground quickly and will also make teams use the higher parts of the map for more varied attack and defence.

Overall a nice map. Good clutch stuff for CTF and makes great use of AA's.

2) CTF on Opposition v2

Another nice CTF map. While playing, I got the feeling the Yellow base was not all that useful. It seemed to draw people away from the actual objective. A few times people did use it to pass the flag quickly but I wondered if the map would be better without that distraction. Almost seems like it could be a Multi-team CTF base. :lol

Most of the crazy happened in the central room with the sea-stack in it. Seemed to funnel people through there, even though they had other movement options. Since most headed for the quickest route to the flag, it did turn into a manic deathtrap. Possibly add another access route to the other base, possibly where the sloping glass platforms currently are. That should give people a few more options instead of running into the kill-box.:D

Overall a nice CTF map. Felt solid and competitive, yellow base felt a little distracting, which slowed the pace a little.

3) CTF on Château.

This map has been a great evolution. After various playtests and tweaks, it is coming along nicely. The rocket-launcher ramp is still deadly and hilarious. During CTF, hiding the flag behind where it spawns seemed to be the favourite tactic. With AL and DS, it was really hard to shift the flag. Not sure what the return times are set to but making it lower might get people moving around the map with a little more urgency.

Overall, another fun CTF map.

4) One Flag CTF on Great Bear Lodge.

Another map that has slowly evolved over time. If you defend the flag spawn well, it is truly a nightmare to shift the thing. On the other hand, if you get it outside it is nearly impossible to recover. Not sure if making the capture point a little further out would make things better. Often I felt if the flag got outside, unless I was close enough, I gave up. Since most of the spawns are inside, if I died, it was an agonising wait to respawn (Maybe having a faster respawn time would give people a chance to saving the flag.)

Overall, with a few tweaks again, we have another fun CTF map. Despite being super annoying against a well defending team. :lol

5) Slayer on BTB v2.

The water felt really weird. The map was pretty huge but the movement around the map made it feel even larger. Needs way more cover on the ground. Apart from the central platform and a few rocks on 1 side, it felt pretty barren out there if you happened to be on foot.

Speaking of the middle, the spawn on the Rocket-Launcher needs a look at (seems to be on 30 second timer, should really be more like 90) I think 1 player managed to have the RL all match and never seemed to run out of ammo. :lol As pretty much the only Anti Air option available for those pesky Falcons, it seemed unbalanced that 1 player could control the RL, which would pretty much kill 1 Falcon, which left the enemy Flacon floating around murdering everyone.:D

Would also be tempted to loose the central kill-ball monument. It looks pretty but restricts the air-space for the Falcons. It is really hard to make a map where Falcons can actually be used sensibly. Since it is central to the map, it also happens to be the spot where nearly all players gravitate too. (Good Territory or KotH spot)

Overall, a good sized map, seems just right for BTB but it really needs more cover and less Rocket-Launcher ammo. :lol

6) Slayer on Ephialtes

Kinda love this map. :lol When I started making Reach maps, I made small Quake Death Match style maps, Ephialtes feels like one of my maps. :D Not too big and not too small, lots of options for getting around the map, even more so if you opt for Jet-Pack.

Overall, nearly perfect Slayer map. Good balance of weapons, Lots of sight lines of various lengths, plenty of cover and you have a map where some seriously mental fights break out.

7) Slayer on Lookout.

One word. Hologram :lol

Not sure if this was a GAF map but it was pretty good. Mental, but good. I think everyone ended up fighting in the one spot. Hiding behind cover and sending my Hologram on suicide missions was beautiful. :D

Overall, pretty small map, meaning you're only seconds away from a good fight. Spawns are pretty good, so there does not seem to be much issue with spawning and dying instantly. With the length of games in Reach currently, it would fit in perfectly.

Some great work by ForgeGAF. Nice to see more CTF maps. I think most of us got stuck making Slayer maps early on, so its nice to see CTF coming back. Also the variety of CTF maps is also great. Thanks for the games all, it was a great laugh and hopefully people got footage they need for the competition.

Good Luck!

timetokill said:

Before adding Raide, I would always hear you saying "Yeah" on the microphone and I assumed you were talking to someone in the room with you. :lol

This explains everything!

Raide

Just watched the replay of CTF trapped. Spotted the area where people hid the flag. :D Not sure what I can do about that, other than blocking it off.

File Share Link to Replay Here.

If you fancy downloading to watch, that would be great. It is 10 mins long, so I am not going to get it rendered. It was nice to see how the map is working and people using cover etc. Back to the tweaking board! :D

Edit:

Went back and blocked off those areas where people hid CTF flags. :D You can still get around the middle of the base but the top is now locked down. Uploaded the new version to my File Share also.

Raide

timetokill said:
Sorry Yeti :( I was going to bring it up but by the time we got through everyone's maps that was present, we only had 6 or 7 people :(

Maybe if people have time in the week, we can sneak in another test. Depending what everyone is up to of course. :D

Raide said:
Maybe if people have time in the week, we can sneak in another test. Depending what everyone is up to of course. :D

Yeah, I would like to. If nothing else though, we have next Saturday as usual. :D

Raide (and everyone else who played Château) I'm thinking of moving the rockets down from their perch and putting them on the first floor, immediately below where they spawn now, and removing the hammer from there altogether. I think it'll promote more movement on the map. And I think I'm going to submit it as a SYMM map (Arena/Slayer). Thoughts?

Raide

timetokill said:
Yeah, I would like to. If nothing else though, we have next Saturday as usual. :D

Raide (and everyone else who played Château) I'm thinking of moving the rockets down from their perch and putting them on the first floor, immediately below where they spawn now, and removing the hammer from there altogether. I think it'll promote more movement on the map. And I think I'm going to submit it as a SYMM map (Arena/Slayer). Thoughts?

Where the yellow base use to be?

Hrmmm...that might be interesting, since that spot is pretty much un-used in CTF. Shame to have a detailed map and not use anything.

Not sure the map really needs Hammer and Sword, but it does help if 1 team is controlling with the sword. Plus having the Hammer down there does give people a reason to go through the middle. Maybe change it to something else and move it to the middle, away from where the new RL would spawn?

Retro

timetokill said:

That could certainly work, but make sure there's SOMETHING up there, as it seems an obvious spawn location AND it's really open. Maybe another power weapon, but one less powerful? Or, a power-up?

Good suggestions. I wonder if simply switching the hammer and rockets might have the desired effect. The main thing is I hate the map starting off with a triple kill every time :lol I think the hammer might work better since they can be shot down before doing too much damage.

Raide

timetokill said:
Good suggestions. I wonder if simply switching the hammer and rockets might have the desired effect. The main thing is I hate the map starting off with a triple kill every time :lol I think the hammer might work better since they can be shot down before doing too much damage.

The swap might work. I know what you mean about the Triple Kills in the first few seconds stuff. It also seems to take the RL out of the game really early on. People tend to waste 1 or 2 rounds just getting over the first hill. :lol

Having the Hammer there could lead to some pretty funny stuff. :D

DD-11

Raide said:

I have time during the week, but it's usually later in the evening and since I'm on the west coast it eliminates most of the country. Hopefully, i'll be able to join you guys more often.

FourDoor

Hello HaloGAF!!!

I'll hopefully have time to start working in Reach's Forge for the first time this week and wanted to see if anyone has a link that illustrates how to make custom structures and objects that can be made with the current Forge objects.

I'm looking for ways to make some cool looking ramps and bridges but still usable for standard gameplay.

GhaleonEB

Map #2, going by Sandybridge right now, though that might change. It's a symmetrical BTB map (shocker!) set with a base on each sand bridge. It utilizes a slice of the island, the beach, and a structure spanning the bases over the water. (The big walls are just placeholder, I'll tidy that up later.)

reach_10140028_Full.jpg

reach_10140066_Full.jpg

Some stonework on the beach and a bit of detailing on the main structure, and I'll be ready to go on weapons/spawns/objectives. Should have it ready for testing the weekend after this coming, since I'm out of town most of this week.

Quick flyover/run through. (A bit too quick, looking back on it, alas.)

So, it looks like I won't be getting a video of Yeti Bay in time for the Forgetacular Contest. :(

Oh well, hopefully they'll throw another contest some other time.

-Yeti said:
So, it looks like I won't be getting a video of Yeti Bay in time for the Forgetacular Contest. :(

Oh well, hopefully they'll throw another contest some other time.

Still gonna try ForgeGAF customs this Saturday, since the deadline is on Sunday. So there's still another shot.

zumphry

Banned
Ugh, still waiting on b.net to show recent screenshots so I can post my map. Already had like 42 downloads on the first version (with the feature of a death wall!) before I made v1.1. :lol

Hopefully I didn't screw up the spawns too badly...

GhaleonEB said:
Sandybridge post

Kinda reminds me of Gephyrophobia in the layout (sides with a bridge in the middle). Hopefully if you have vehicles on it, they won't go Ghostbusters and fly out of the map.

but at least your map doesn't just rip-off the middle of Rat's Nest :/

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
anyone have any suggestions for man cannons that occasionally cause you to lose health after landing? i dont want to have to change level geometry just to fix an issue that crops up maybe 20% of the time...

zumphry

Banned
Roost

Once a barracks for Forerunner troops, this ship is now ominscently hovering above the ring's surface...(v1.1)

Best for: 2v2-6v6 | Slayer | CTF | Assault | KOTH | Oddball | Stockpile | Headhunter | Territories

fWymd.jpg

"Reports indicate that there is a large ship hovering over the ring's surface. It doesn't seem to be one of ours, or the Covenant's..."

WcuZ8.jpg

"I call it "Boomer".

Here's the map I've been working on for the past few weeks. I decided to ditch the 6v6 map I was making due to getting frustrated by where to put it, so I started making this to get myself accustomed to Reach's Forge. That doesn't mean it's amateurish, either (or, at least I hope it isn't).

It's a reimagining of Barracks, a map I made during Halo 3 that blocked off the outer ring and just used the inside of Rat's Nest. Since the few times Gaf tested it out with me showed that it was easy to take control of the map, I decided to do some editing on it in Reach. I'm still wondering if the huge innerwalls should be changed so that the map isn't sectioned off, allowing more sightlines to be made. Plus, blueish-grey walls have gotten boring after awhile.

xRasL.jpg

This is the Overshield ledge, or "Engine Overview". There's two Two-Way teleporters here, both leading to the respective teleporter inside of each base. In addition to that, there is a Grenade Launcher behind the window cover (which I am wondering if it would be better on the middle bridge).

Ybm6K.jpg

View of the Middle Bridge, and the Rocket Launcher Ledge/Active Camo alcove. Or the "Ship's Bridge".

NQhHo.jpg

A closer shot of the Bridge, showing a Plasma Repeater next to a mancannon that lifts you up to the Rockets.

And here's a link to a picture of the rockets, and a better view of the "view screen" that hopefully helps make the front window seem like a commander's (or Forerunner equivalent) screen

GnN6M.jpg

A good view of inside of the base, showing the platform where the Flag/bomb would be positioned, blue team's part of the wings, the rock garden (Red team has 3 pillars in a similar fashion), back walkway, and walkway to the middle bridge and the middle of the map.

Yqd5H.jpg

A view of the "gun wall" on blue side, needler bunker, and where the sniper spawns. Currently, I'd imagine the Sniper would be used only to keep opposing players out of the base, since there aren't any real positions where a sniper could dominate from. Prove me wrong, though.

YSVdj.jpg

And a back shot of the map (there are about two faces in the engine area).

Download link

Raide

op_ivy said:
anyone have any suggestions for man cannons that occasionally cause you to lose health after landing? i dont want to have to change level geometry just to fix an issue that crops up maybe 20% of the time...

Other than altering the height or roll of the man-cannon, which will cut out the damage taken, you can put an angled object where you land. At a certain angle it cuts the damage players take from falling. The various slopes in the Incline section should do the trick.

Some amazing looking creations coming from the GAF - gonna have to download a few of these!

I have a BTB map I've been working on for a while now complete and ready for testing. The tricky part is finding 15 other players who are willing to stick around for a while to test it.

If anyone is up for some lenghty BTB testing tonight from about 9pm GMT - PM me! Thanks.

Falt

Coming close to finishing my first serious effort at a map. Major learning experiece. I had my first play test on it last night and seeing how players percieve and interact with the map was an eye opener. Will post pics later.

An odd question but is it possible to set up a mancannon so that it can't be used with vehicles?

Raide

Falt said:
Coming close to finishing my first serious effort at a map. Major learning experiece. I had my first play test on it last night and seeing how players percieve and interact with the map was an eye opener. Will post pics later.

An odd question but is it possible to set up a mancannon so that it can't be used with vehicles?

Hrmm, I don't think so. The only way to prevent vehicles getting in would be to built something around the man-cannon that blocks them from just driving in.

Getting people to play your own creation is the best way to improve. Sometimes we get a little blinkered into thinking our maps are awesome and perfect, so a good test brings out the issue we may not have thought about early on. Especially when it comes to weapon placement, spawns, how the vehicles work and any annoying level issues.

Edit:

Working on a new CTF Map called Sanctum. Not sure what I will do with it yet. :lol

Clip Here!

Falt

Raide said:
Hrmm, I don't think so. The only way to prevent vehicles getting in would be to built something around the man-cannon that blocks them from just driving in.
Yeah, I figured as much after tinkering with every possible setting last night. I could have sworn I heard or read about it somewhere though.

Getting people to play your own creation is the best way to improve. Sometimes we get a little blinkered into thinking our maps are awesome and perfect, so a good test brings out the issue we may not have thought about early on. Especially when it comes to weapon placement, spawns, how the vehicles work and any annoying level issues.
Exactly. From last night's play test I'm reconsidering a lot of things. How a team attacks a base was interesting to watch back. It's made me think about reiterating both bases, slightly altering their geometry and placement on the map.

Raide

Falt said:
Yeah, I figured as much after tinkering with every possible setting last night. I could have sworn I heard or read about it somewhere though.

Exactly. From last night's play test I'm reconsidering a lot of things. How a team attacks a base was interesting to watch back. It's made me think about reiterating both bases, slightly altering their geometry and placement on the map.

You can restrict Teleporters but not Man-cannons. Unless there is a reason you don't want it, having vehicles firing from cannons can actually lead to some funny stuff. :lol

Getting people to play your map gives you some interesting feedback on the way different people attack and defend objectives. Making sure people are not getting donged across the map when they spawn, is also a great thing you will learn.

I look forward to seeing your map once you upload it. I can give you some more feedback once you send it to your File Share.

Top Bottom