• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

zumphry

Banned
So is the Forgetacular contest the only way to get your maps into matchmaking currently, or what?

Oh, and anyone have any impressions of Roost, and Dawn?

op_ivy said:
to be honest, i'm getting it confused with valhavalanche, which seems similar. i liked both though, sorry i cant be more specific!

yetidome was fun to screw around with while we waited for the room to fill, though your soft kill zones kick in too close to the edge of the map.

Yeah, I've been having troubles with the soft kill zones. It's seems like no matter where I put them, they affect the edges of the map from the inside. I'll have to mess with them some more so I can finally get it right.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
-Yeti said:
Yeah, I've been having troubles with the soft kill zones. It's seems like no matter where I put them, they affect the edges of the map from the inside. I'll have to mess with them some more so I can finally get it right.

have you tried placing just a single, cylindrical, safe zone over the map? i'd even extend it past the barriers a bit just make sure the top wont allow people to escape out of the dome

Raide

ZayneH said:
So is the Forgetacular contest the only way to get your maps into matchmaking currently, or what?

I don't think so. Yes the competition should be good for narrowing down the actually good maps but since it is US only, it does cut out a huge percentage of mappers that cannot enter.

If people make a good map, I am sure Bungie will check it out, regardless of where it was made.

ZayneH said:

Oh, and anyone have any impressions of Roost, and Dawn?
It looks like this :| But I really hope this will not happen.

Falt

Great customs over the weekend guys. Some really fun maps. Particularly Long Bridge. Short Walk, Yeti Bay and Chateau. 3 hours of solid game time led me to a "all play and no work make something a something something" state of mind. I was burnt out. Fun times though!

Shake Appeal said:
You guys are getting pretty good at this, huh.

Although...

cargo.jpg
I just had Orbital flashbacks. :lol

*Subject to change.

:lol Didn't you read the small print? As soon as I'd placed those crates I thought the exact same thing. I am in the minority that didn't grumble when Orbital came up though.

op_ivy

Falt said:
Great customs over the weekend guys. Some really fun maps. Particularly Long Bridge. Short Walk, Yeti Bay and Chateau. 3 hours of solid game time led me to a "all play and no work make something a something something" state of mind. I was burnt out. Fun times though!

:lol i really need to come up with a better name before i submit that!

it was always a placeholder name and is supposed to be a condensed version of (take a) long walk (off a) short bridge, but bungie map names are almost always single words. anyone have any suggestions? the map is inspired or influenced by Assualt on the Control Room and halo 3's Narrows. I'd like the name to reflect that, or at least the fact that its a couple of cantilever bridges.

any help would be appreciated, its pretty much zero hour :)

Raide

op_ivy said:
:lol i really need to come up with a better name before i submit that!

it was always a placeholder name and is supposed to be a condensed version of (take a) long walk (off a) short bridge, but bungie map names are almost always single words. anyone have any suggestions? the map is inspired or influenced by Assualt on the Control Room and halo 3's Narrows. I'd like the name to reflect that, or at least the fact that its a couple of cantilever bridges.

any help would be appreciated, its pretty much zero hour :)

LoBriShoWa :lol

Most of the maps that do well have to have short and catchy names, mainly for MM sensibilities.

op_ivy said:
have you tried placing just a single, cylindrical, safe zone over the map? i'd even extend it past the barriers a bit just make sure the top wont allow people to escape out of the dome

Like what do you mean? Place a safe zone around the entire perimeter of the map, but only have it go to the top of the dome?

op_ivy

-Yeti said:
Like what do you mean? Place a safe zone around the entire perimeter of the map, but only have it go to the top of the dome?

yeah, that should do it. place the safe zone over the entire play area

Pete Rock

timetokill said:
Can everybody who submitted to the Forgetacular Competition please post their submitted File Set? I'd love to compile a list of the submitted maps.
Sure, here's my fileset for Carbide, a Rocket Race map. Went ahead and rendered the gameplay film too, just so folks can get an idea of how it plays without having to round up 11 other people beforehand :lol

Hypertrooper said:
It looks like this :| But I really hope this will not happen.
Yeah, I thought they mentioned the Forgetacular tying into a stress test of a new system that would run a more automated routine of checking required entities for certain submissions, at the very least cutting out the majority of the basic fundamental rejections and filtering things down somewhat. Still not sure though, really hoping it doesn't turn into another "Atlas" type situation because that went nowhere fast.

-Yeti said:
Yes, when I looked at your map I wondered what utility the time spent positioning all the various soft kills served when you could have just capped an oversized cylinder at the top of the dome. If the players aren't supposed to ever leave the enclosure they shouldn't be confused about getting slayed up top instantly, in my opinion. Didn't look like there were any geometry gaps so it seems like the most simple solution.

op_ivy

ok, Long Walk, Short Bridge is now known as Trestle. i hope there is no issue with the film and screens coming from a map with a different name :(

op_ivy

one last forgetacular related question... the file set on bungie, does it have to be named "CONTEST-XXX" as well, or should it be named for the map?

-Yeti said:
Alright, I'll try that.

or you can do what pete rock said, and place a single hard kill zone at the hole in the dome.

op_ivy said:
or you can do what pete rock said, and place a single hard kill zone at the hole in the dome.

Yeah, that will probably be easier to do. I was trying to make it so Jetpackers could fly a little bit higher, but I don't think this map suits jetpacks well anyway. I could just have it be a simple Classic Slayer map.

Alright, so I just fixed the soft kill zones issue on Yeti Dome and now there is just one hard kill zone at the top of the map. So, if you love to jetpack, this isn't a map for you. :D

Anyway, you can download the new version now! Yeti Dome Link

Raide

-Yeti said:
Alright, so I just fixed the soft kill zones issue on Yeti Dome and now there is just one hard kill zone at the top of the map. So, if you love to jetpack, this isn't a map for you. :D

Anyway, you can download the new version now! Yeti Dome Link

Will DL and have a look now.

I have about 3 or 4 news maps on the go, yet I am having Forge Block. Cannot figure out how to finish them off or get them to a fairly playable state. :lol

Walshicus

Spent some time with the new maps last night; like how Tempest has the same Forge object set, with the exception of all the vehicles. That said, we get a new Rock Stack I believe. Surprised there wasn't a bare-bones version of the map included.

GhaleonEB

NOKYARD said:
The problem with using templates is that the original creator's name is forever listed as the map's creator. Better to go through the inventory and make use of the 'Delete all of these objects' function and make your own template.
I tried that, but couldn't find everything. The "Delete All" option doesn't work for many of the default objects. Though I'll give it another scour tonight. I'm really surprised only one iteration of each map, and no canvas verstions, are included.

Raide

Sup ForgeGAF. Looking forward to seeing what people make with Tempest. I have already cleared out the map as much as possible and it looks pretty cool. A little smaller than I though it would be but it should be interesting to see what we can make.

Raide

Seems like everyone is quite.

Thought I would pop up a quick snap of my new map for Tempest. Inspired a little on the Halo 3 map, Narrows but trying to built it around the focal point of Tempest, which is the huge laser beams across the sky.

Still WIP currently, trying to look at decorating and tidying up. 4v4 currently, make think about CTF if viable.

reach_10639495_Full.jpg

GhaleonEB

Raide said:

Thought I would pop up a quick snap of my new map for Tempest. Inspired a little on the Halo 3 map, Narrows but trying to built it around the focal point of Tempest, which is the huge laser beams across the sky.

Still WIP currently, trying to look at decorating and tidying up. 4v4 currently, make think about CTF if viable.

reach_10639495_Full.jpg
Heh. I was going to do something simlar, but your iteration is better than what I had in mind. So I'll do the Plan B tweak I was thinking about.

Looks nice.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
Heh. I was going to do something simlar, but your iteration is better than what I had in mind. So I'll do the Plan B tweak I was thinking about.

Looks nice.

Thanks

I wanted to have some man-cannons that fire you into the beam.:lol I wanted to also try and built the map around it, making it an un-natural hazard but the roof tops out way too low. :(

I wish I could loose all the soft kills barriers built into the map.

Cool stuff Raide :D I haven't even wanted to so much as look at Forge for the past week or so, I just got burnt out as we headed into the Forgetacular competition. I'll probably check out Tempest and mess with it next week though.

With that said, I should also say that I won't be around for ForgeGAF customs tomorrow, as I have to go to a wedding (not mine). But if somebody wants to run one, feel free!

vhfive

I spent about 15 min flying around tempest trying to see if there was any good forgeable spaces on it and I came away with nothing. The fact that all the structures on the map are not forgeable makes it hard to try to do something unique. I think I'll just stick with forge world for my next map.

Well dudes my random project for the next while will be remaking Hallway for Reach.

I give you te very initial concept art for Corridor:
corridorv0fv.jpg

corridorv0sv.jpg

I kinda wanted to mix up a few things about it. Still low gravity and low speed. I wanted some way of the player choosing when and where to enter the fray so I was thinking of an elevated platform in a soft kill barrier with a one-way shield door that they could jump through as they wished.

To really change things up I hope to add two dips that will provide some cover from the front. Depending on how I can manage it, I was hoping to have 4 platforms surrouding the map that could be used to fire from the flag on to these people in cover and vice-versa.

One or two side rooms at the half way point and te capture points requiring a noble sacrifice.

It's purely for fun and I am curious to make it :p

op_ivy

vhfive said:
I spent about 15 min flying around tempest trying to see if there was any good forgeable spaces on it and I came away with nothing. The fact that all the structures on the map are not forgeable makes it hard to try to do something unique. I think I'll just stick with forge world for my next map.

its a bit of a bummer that none of the dlc maps are like forge world. how hard would it have been to have vast open areas outside those maps for us forgers.

Raide

vhfive said:

Tempest is much harder to Forge on, since there is a lack of open space. The sky is the only safe haven (well, less getting in the way. :lol )

MrBig

Raide said:
Thanks

I wanted to have some man-cannons that fire you into the beam.:lol I wanted to also try and built the map around it, making it an un-natural hazard but the roof tops out way too low. :(

I wish I could loose all the soft kills barriers built into the map.
You could use a teleporter to go above those barriers and build above the beam if you need more room.

Raide

MrBig said:
You could use a teleporter to go above those barriers and build above the beam if you need more room.

The map seems to top out low on one side of the beam and a little higher on the other side. Not really enough room to build something and let people jump around. I might make something small up there and stack a power weapons or something up there, just for fun. :lol

Raide said:

That looks cool. Really cool. I've tried building on Tempest, but the play area is so disappointly small I gave up. :(

In other news, finished the latest incarnation of Lookout not too long ago. If everyone could just give it a whirl and tell me what they liked and what they didn't like, that'd be awesome. It's suited for Slayer, King of the Hill, Headhunter, Infection and Juggernaut. I'm especially interested to hear how Infection runs on it. :)

Some screenshots:

13-1.jpg

7-2.jpg

6-1.jpg

Everybody loves the floating rock.

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

And of course, a download link.

Willeth

Trying to edit my Infection variant so that it counts a win based on points accumulated. It's not taking, and I don't know why. Can anyone help?

EDIT: Currently, it's set to ten rounds of two minutes each, with a score to win of five. The zombies score two points per kill, and the human gets five for surviving. The game always starts with a last man standing.

The idea is that if a human player can survive for two minutes (which is pretty difficult), he automatically wins. However, if a zombie gets three kills in the ten rounds, the game ends and the zombie wins. If no-one gets five points in the ten rounds, the winner is calculated. Problem is, the game just seems to ignore the five points to win, and loads the next round even if the human survives. I want it to game over at that point. What am I missing?

Hey guys i was working on this huge sculpture in Forge but i ran out of my rock budget!! i didnt know specific items had limits, i was only paying attention to the overall budget..

Anyways, here is as far as i got.. its anatomically decent... i also added the back muscles(which arent visible from these pics). I was totally looking forward to working on the arms, shoulders and face :( oh well... im going to have to come up with some rock/metal hybrid if i wanna finish it.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/dilatedeyeball/forgesculpt1.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/dilatedeyeball/forgesculpt2.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/dilatedeyeball/forgesculpt3.jpg

i didnt embedd the pics coz they are high res :/

Monocle

dilatedmuscle said:
Hey guys i was working on this huge sculpture in Forge but i ran out of my rock budget!! i didnt know specific items had limits, i was only paying attention to the overall budget..

Anyways, here is as far as i got.. its anatomically decent... i also added the back muscles(which arent visible from these pics). I was totally looking forward to working on the arms, shoulders and face :( oh well... im going to have to come up with some rock/metal hybrid if i wanna finish it.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/dilatedeyeball/forgesculpt1.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/dilatedeyeball/forgesculpt2.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/dilatedeyeball/forgesculpt3.jpg

i didnt embedd the pics coz they are high res :/
That looks really cool. I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Is it? They should be shunned if so!
(I have no idea, and I haven't tried it in Halo Reach yet... I've just heard plenty of complaints.)

I just want them to announce the Forgetacular winners already!

Butane123

timetokill said:
Is it? They should be shunned if so!
(I have no idea, and I haven't tried it in Halo Reach yet... I've just heard plenty of complaints.)

I just want them to announce the Forgetacular winners already!
Actually, it seems one of the people who won was notified tonight.

I'm not going to say who it is quite yet just in case urk and company have something planned.

Edit: CURSE YOU URK!

zumphry

Banned
urk said:
Notifications went out tonight. I'll make the winners public tomorrow.

I hope the winners are really good :)

..but really I just want to know when (of if) the next Forgetacular contest would be so I could get some testing done on some maps (and maybe actually start on maps I've been sitting on).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
squidhands said:
Here's hoping that we'll be seeing some quality stuff in the hoppers soon, and not just from the contest winners.

Someone needs to make a map that when you armor lock you go warp speed into a wall and suicide like those ghosts/revs do.

Top Bottom