• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Pete Rock

squidhands said:
Here's hoping that we'll be seeing some quality stuff in the hoppers soon, and not just from the contest winners.
Particularly for the categories that have seen little to no support through matchmaking in the very recent past... but I doubt it.

Pete Rock said:
Particularly for the categories that have seen little to no support through matchmaking in the very recent past... but I doubt it.
I would like to think that Bungie was waiting for this contest to implement some matchmaking changes, particularly in the race and BTB categories.

ZayneH said:
I hope the winners are really good :)

..but really I just want to know when (of if) the next Forgetacular contest would be so I could get some testing done on some maps (and maybe actually start on maps I've been sitting on).
We should work together on a map. It would be totally awesome. (and it would be a reason to try the Forge mode.)

zumphry

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
We should work together on a map. It would be totally awesome. (and it would be a reason to try the Forge mode.)

I have a few ideas for some specialized maps (KotH/Stockpile only ones, kinda like Myth in first person if you ever played it), so if we're ever on at the same time we could start.

Since it seems like the thread is back from being quiet for awhile, are there going to be any ForgeGAF customs soon. Like, tomorrow? I'd like to test out a map or two, but I haven't been able to do so otherwise.

NOKYARD

ZayneH said:
Since it seems like the thread is back from being quiet for awhile
This is about to change in a big way.
Community Cartographers

Also on the community map making front, we've recently engaged upstanding members of the community to help us continue to discover, test, and showcase the very best community maps. Selected from multiple community haunts, these contributors weren't necessarily chosen for their Forge abilities (though there are some savants among them), but rather for their leadership abilities, community involvement, and their willingness to straight up bribe me with cold, hard cash. Late this week, we deployed them into the field.

A little cryptic, I know, but don't worry. If you're an aspiring mapmaker who is already engaged with the community, you should be hearing from them soon. Stay Tuned.

ZayneH said:
are there going to be any ForgeGAF customs soon. Like, tomorrow? I'd like to test out a map or two, but I haven't been able to do so otherwise.
I was hoping to have a map ready for this weeks customs but will likely wait until it is complete.

Enforcer Factory by NOKYARD, on Flickr

Enforcer Factory is the Reach version of my Atlas submission Sentinel Factory, which missed the Bungie Day playlist cutoff by a few days.

Like Sentinel Factory this map features an actual Enforcer.

Enforcer by NOKYARD, on Flickr

zumphry

Banned
NOKYARD said:
This is about to change in a big way.

I was hoping to have a map ready for this weeks customs but will likely wait until it is complete.

[url]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5130/5352458159_91e4dcea0a.jpg[/url]
Enforcer Factory by NOKYARD, on Flickr

Enforcer Factory is the Reach version of my Atlas submission Sentinel Factory, which missed the Bungie Day playlist cutoff by a few days.

Like Sentinel Factory this map features an actual Enforcer.

[url]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5352458275_91150b3f10.jpg[/url]
Enforcer by NOKYARD, on Flickr

Yeah, saw the mention of the Cartographer group in the BWU and was happy that it wasn't just going to be something made awhile back and forgotten.

As for Enforcer Factory, I really liked Sentinel Factory, so hopefully the jump to Reach makes it even better to play.

I would really love to know if any of my maps didn't fall into the "Punt" category, and if they did, what caused them to be. Obviously that's probably too much to ask for, but I can't help but wonder.

vhfive

I see this thread has revived a little

I'm trying to get back into Reach (after playing a shitload of Black Ops). So I might go back and try to finish up on some old maps I have. It's too bad I work a lot of Sat. nights which means I don't get to participate in customs as much as I would like.

Got another map finished up.

ATRIUM

reach_12393173_Full.jpg

reach_12393126_Full.jpg

Youtube Video

The design itself has gone through many stages on paper, and was something I originally dreamed up when forging in Halo 3. Due to the systems limitations, it never saw the light of day. Thankfully, that isn't a problem in Reach.

I set out with several goals in mind on this map, which I hope I've accomplished.

1) To create an arena map, primarily for Slayer and Objective games, that is symmetrical in nature, but build in an asymmetric area.
2) To create a map based around curves and fluidity, not blocks and angles.
3) To make a map able to cater for all styles of play, both fun and competitive.

The focal point of the map is obviously the tree in the centre, which not only is eyecatching, but helps break the line of sight from Base to Base rather well.
Red Base is set at lower ground side of the map

Weapon Loadout:

1 x Rocket Launcher (2 shots)
2 x Sniper Rifle (8 shots)
2 x Shotgun (6 shots)
4 x DMR
4 x Needle Rifle
2 x Needler
2 x Assualt Rifle
2 x Magnum
2 x Plasma Pistol
8 x Plasma Grenade

Sikamikanico, that looks really nice. I'm gonna que it, though it may be a while 'till I actually play it.

I've been working on two maps for a while. One's a slightly symmetrical team slayer arena, while the other is a huge-ass invasion map. And when I say huge, I mean huge. First stage is an on-foot foot assault on a vehicle depot, second stage requires you to destroy a generator, and the third stages involves you infiltrating and extracting the core from this big sonuvabish.

It'll be a while before it's ready, though. The structure might look completely different by the time I'm done with it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sikamikanico said:
Got another map finished up.

Youtube Video

The design itself has gone through many stages on paper, and was something I originally dreamed up when forging in Halo 3. Due to the systems limitations, it never saw the light of day. Thankfully, that isn't a problem in Reach.

I set out with several goals in mind on this map, which I hope I've accomplished.

1) To create an arena map, primarily for Slayer and Objective games, that is symmetrical in nature, but build in an asymmetric area.
2) To create a map based around curves and fluidity, not blocks and angles.
3) To make a map able to cater for all styles of play, both fun and competitive.

The focal point of the map is obviously the tree in the centre, which not only is eyecatching, but helps break the line of sight from Base to Base rather well.
Red Base is set at lower ground side of the map

Weapon Loadout:

1 x Rocket Launcher (2 shots)
2 x Sniper Rifle (8 shots)
2 x Shotgun (6 shots)
4 x DMR
4 x Needle Rifle
2 x Needler
2 x Assualt Rifle
2 x Magnum
2 x Plasma Pistol
8 x Plasma Grenade

looks great! seems like the snipers could really dominate though. looking forward to testing it

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Will be looking through here for maps to play in Customs tonight. We're gonna test out the winners from the competition but I'm sure we'll have time for GAFer map action.

If you can't make it later tonight, send me a message or something. I'll be downloading the maps from here which I think will fit.

zumphry

Banned
Two WIP maps and a map that's needing some testing until it's done.

Downpour (WIP):

eY6l5.jpg

A remake of my one Halo 3 map, Drought. Started this in October and really haven't touched it since. Should get it started after Roost and Aurora have been kicked out of the nest. I'm not a fan of creator bias but I think I'm so far in creator bias with it that I'm smothering it so much that I'm reluctant to even start on it.

EtEO7.jpg

Aurora (WIP):

u9scM.jpg

Started one version of it and scrapped it because it was shit. Should play much better now, especially when I put spawns and weapons down for Slayer/CTF/Bomb and then a set for Invasion. Though, to be honest, the first version being shit might also make this one shit because even when sketching it, I had doubts I could make a asymmetrical map and do it justice.

z9Np8.jpg

Roost (aka The Bitch):

LsErw.jpg

• Fixed front window
  • Put more death barriers around outside and top of map
  • Teleporters shouldn't cause nasuea like they did before
  • Rocket/Camo structure is simpler, no more mancannoning into the covers of the landing pad
  • Still thinking of taking out or changing the circular back base structure

All I need to test with it is to see if the map plays well, and if CTF/Bomb/Stockpile..etc spawn areas are set down correctly.

5BHPS.jpg

Okay, seeing as this thread is getting a little activity now, this is just a heads up for all HaloGAF forgers.

I want to create a HaloGAF Map Montage, so, if you're interested please PM me with details of up to two maps you would like in the video, as well as a saved film of a game being played on each. I will do the rest.

Anyone interested? :)

Super serious face map for super serious face Team Slayer.

Or just a very symmetrical arena built for awesomeness. Still a work in progress, but the geometry is pretty much complete. Any opinions?

reach_12698737_Full.jpg

reach_12698731_Full.jpg

reach_12698725_Full.jpg

reach_12698686_Full.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Sikamikanico said:
Super serious face map for super serious face Team Slayer.

Or just a very symmetrical arena built for awesomeness. Still a work in progress, but the geometry is pretty much complete. Any opinions?

It's looking good. Nice craftmanship. It looks the business but how does it play? =)

Dani said:
It's looking good. Nice craftmanship. It looks the business but how does it play? =)

No idea. It's my group's customs night tonight, so I'll get some testing in. I'm hoping it will play beautifully, but I'm usually wrong. I'm starting to think that the sword will be to much, but we shall see!

I may even make a stripped down MLG version if I think they'll like it.

EDIT: Yep, played really well.

DOUBLE EDIT: After further playtesting, my friend Ash55 suggested opening up the two side spawns at each base. Which I did - so now there is a NEW download link, and you can see the changes here on the following pictures, as well as the new walkthrough video.

reach_12799305_Full.jpg

reach_12799323_Full.jpg

reach_12799280_Full.jpg

Here's a video walkthrough.

If you've downloaded it before, please download the latest version and check it out! :)

Download it here.

GhaleonEB

From this week's Bungie Weekly Update:

Community Cartographers

Also on the community map making front, we’ve recently engaged upstanding members of the community to help us continue to discover, test, and showcase the very best community maps. Selected from multiple community haunts, these contributors weren’t necessarily chosen for their Forge abilities (though there are some savants among them), but rather for their leadership abilities, community involvement, and their willingness to straight up bribe me with cold, hard cash. Late this week, we deployed them into the field.

A little cryptic, I know, but don’t worry. If you’re an aspiring mapmaker who is already engaged with the community, you should be hearing from them soon. Stay Tuned.​

It's basically a gaggle of representatives from various online communities who will be looking for standout maps from their respective community and bringing them to the group for further evaluation and testing.

I've been asked to help scout out maps from GAFers part of the Community Cartographers project. My plan is pretty simple: I'm going to do some scouring of the recent posts in this thread, check them out, and pull them into the GAF customs each Saturday. I'll then round up feedback from myself and the other players and send them over to the creator, and send the one with a consensus of their quality on to the internal group for their take. The best of those maps will bubble up into the forthcoming Community playlists (the recent Community Slayer was the first of what will be many).

I plan to be less gatekeeper and more facilitator. That said, as with the Forgetacular contest there's probably going to be relatively few opportunities to get maps into matchmaking. A few guidelines:

I won't send anything to the group that hasn't been play tested thoroughly on GAF, and which I've had the chance to also test - or at least look at thoroughly. I'll post regularly with the maps that have been called to my attention, so as to make sure I'm not missing any, and I'll circle back with feedback from GAF customs and the CC group.

As I said I'll go through and snag the last few pages of promising maps for customs this weekend. (And I may have a helper soon.)

Hopefully this works.

HBO is also taking part in the CC effort, and you can see their thread on the subject here. I'm planning to mirror their strategy somewhat.

Pretty cool. I'd like it if you guys could play on Château and maybe Seashell as well, though I suspect Seashell could use a bit of tweaking (all the more reason to playtest it, really).

Awesome news! Gotta be better than Atlas at any rate. :) I've just uploaded the latest version of my new map, so if you've already grabbed the old one please disregard it and grab the new hawtness.

:)

Raide

Back to the Forge we go. :D

I think I will finish up and test all my old maps, just so I can move on and actually work on something new.

Can we organise some HaloGAF testing nights, preferably at the weekend? I'm in the UK and coming to play Halo at 2am when I have work in the morning during the week is just not cool. Plus my wife would think me INSANE.

Getting enough people to play maps over and over is hard to do, especially as most of my friends list have moved on from Reach....

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Sikamikanico said:
Can we organise some HaloGAF testing nights, preferably at the weekend? I'm in the UK and coming to play Halo at 2am when I have work in the morning during the week is just not cool. Plus my wife would think me INSANE.

Getting enough people to play maps over and over is hard to do, especially as most of my friends list have moved on from Reach....

Wasn't there a separate ForgeGAF Customs night? What happened to that?

NOKYARD

Dani said:
I believe it was usually held Saturday afternoon (evening for the UK). Maps that tested well went into regular customs.

Dani said:

I used to organize those on Saturday afternoon/nights (depending on your location), but after the Forgetacular submission point ended there wasn't much interest anymore. I think a lot of people got burnt out.

zumphry

Banned
timetokill said:
I used to organize those on Saturday afternoon/nights (depending on your location), but after the Forgetacular submission point ended there wasn't much interest anymore. I think a lot of people got burnt out.

If nobody minds, I could start them up again, around the same time, and anybody left playing would move into Dani/HaloGAF's customs. Or something.

ZayneH said:
If nobody minds, I could start them up again, around the same time, and anybody left playing would move into Dani/HaloGAF's customs. Or something.

Sounds fine to me. My schedule is a little less consistent these days so it would be nice for somebody to take the reins :)

ZayneH said:

Sounds awesome, especially at the weekend.

Also, I'm going to be continually testing my map tonight from 9pm GMT. If anyone is bored enough and willing to help, sling me an FR. Trying to keep 7 people together to continuously play a map is HARD.

op_ivy

ZayneH said:

i'd be interested. trestle seemed like it got a good reaction from gaf and i'd like to get more feedback on it and a new, unnamed map i've been working on

Very LTTP, but congrats to anyone who will have their Forgetacular submission added to Matchmaking!

Unfortunately, I no longer have an Xbox, so I won't be able to make maps anymore! I don't know the next time I will be getting one. I'm really tight on money right now. :(

No worries though. I'm sure you guys don't miss me anyway! Haha

GhaleonEB

I'm in the process of queuing files to play at GAF customs this weekend. One thing I'm noticing is that it would be a good idea to specify both the ideal player count and supported game types in the description so we can play them the way the maker intends. Most maps so far say game types, or player count, but none have said both. It'll help make sure we don't pour 12 or more players into your 4 v 4 map, for instance.

Oh, and Bungie roped in Dani to help gather up GAF maps, so he and I are co-conspirators. Nokyard is in as well, from both GAF and HIH. :p

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
I'm in the process of queuing files to play at GAF customs this weekend. One thing I'm noticing is that it would be a good idea to specify both the ideal player count and supported game types in the description so we can play them the way the maker intends. Most maps so far say game types, or player count, but none have said both. It'll help make sure we don't pour 12 or more players into your 4 v 4 map, for instance. :p

here is trestle (formerly "long walk, short bridge") http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileSets.aspx?player=LoopOfHenle if you can get to it. its set up for most game types, but i'd envisioned it primarily as a team slayer, 4v4 map. if you can play through more gametypes, 2 flag ctf would be nice to test as well.

what time are gaf customs anyway? i'd like to be a part of that if there is room.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
op_ivy said:
here is trestle (formerly "long walk, short bridge") http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileSets.aspx?player=LoopOfHenle if you can get to it. its set up for most game types, but i'd envisioned it primarily as a team slayer, 4v4 map. if you can play through more gametypes, 2 flag ctf would be nice to test as well.

what time are gaf customs anyway? i'd like to be a part of that if there is room.

Added your map to play in Customs, Saturday evening. HaloGAF Customs usually start around 1am Sunday morning GMT. Dunno about your freaky American times.

-Yeti said:
It would cool if you guys played Yeti Dome at GAF customs. I won't be there, but I would still love some feedback on it.

Ideal player count? Which gametypes does it support?

Give me that information and put I'll put it in the mix for the next Customs.

Made some significant updates to Kingdom last night, including:

Flag Points were moved back a little further, and the cover was replaced with a single column.
Spawn time increased on plasma nades.
Soft kill raised to allow for smoother jetpack. All hiding spots eliminated.
Spawns adjusted to make for better CTF games.
KOTH locations adjusted to make for better KOTH games.

I have a game of Team Slayer saved now, with a final score of 49-50 (Couldnt get more balanced if I tried!)

It played wonderfully last night, so I have uploaded the latest version to my Fileshare (Dated 20th Jan 2011)

Latest Version: DOWNLOAD

Oh and its ideal for 4 v 4 (but you could squeeze 6 v 6 on to it if you really wanted) and supports all gametypes except Invasion and Race.

Thinking of it, it would be an interesting map for doubles...

Also:

Dani said:
Added your map to play in Customs, Saturday evening. HaloGAF Customs usually start around 1am Sunday morning GMT. Dunno about your freaky American times.

Is that 1am on the actual Sunday (I.E Saturday night after midnight) or Sunday night after midnight?

Everything hinges on this! :p

zumphry

Banned
Ugh. How do you guys usually smooth out bumps on walkways (or anything, really)? It's infuriating trying to deal with a small bump when the game says the objects next to each other are at the same height when they really have a .025 (or whatever) difference.

ZayneH said:
Ugh. How do you guys usually smooth out bumps on walkways (or anything, really)? It's infuriating trying to deal with a small bump when the game says the objects next to each other are at the same height when they really have a .025 (or whatever) difference.

I always start by using co-ordinates, but you'll find if you set everything to the same height you'll get a lot of Z-fighting with textures. So click the left thumbstick in, and then use the bumpers to make tiny adjustments. It's never perfect, but it's the best you can do really. :) Hope that helps!

(Accepted your FR by the way) :)

zumphry

Banned
Sikamikanico said:
I always start by using co-ordinates, but you'll find if you set everything to the same height you'll get a lot of Z-fighting with textures. So click the left thumbstick in, and then use the bumpers to make tiny adjustments. It's never perfect, but it's the best you can do really. :) Hope that helps!

(Accepted your FR by the way) :)

Thanks for the tip, I've never really used the Left Stick zoom when making adjustments before so I'll give it a shot (or just start the whole map over)

__

As for ForgeGAF customs (Sat at ~3 pm EST/8 pm GMT?), this is the list of maps so far that will be played (in no particular order):

Trestle
Lookout
Enforcer Factory
Atrium
Reactor
Kingdom
Yeti-Dome
Roost
Crown of Flies
Seashell

Mostly 4v4-6v6 maps

Any maps that I glanced over or missed?

ZayneH said:
Thanks for the tip, I've never really used the Left Stick zoom when making adjustments before so I'll give it a shot (or just start the whole map over)

No problem - if you want to get really tricky, you can zoom in by clicking the right thumbstick, and then click the left thumbstick to make adjustments.

vhfive

Reactor is currently only set up for TS and CTF. Its preferable amount of players is 4v4 but would still play well 3v3 or 5v5 (6v6 is its absolute max and most likely won't be very fun to play).

In other news I've decided to build a new map. I trying to build a btb map but it's hard because there aren't that many good spaces for large maps

EDIT:
Sikamikanico said:

No problem - if you want to get really tricky, you can zoom in by clicking the right thumbstick, and then click the left thumbstick to make adjustments.
Also if you want to get it perfect (or just a tiny tiny bit off so it doesn't do that annoying flickering) click in on the stick but as soon as you hit the bumper hit "a" immediately after. This lets go of the block and allows you to move objects with as much precision vertically as you can horizontally.

ZayneH said:

__

As for ForgeGAF customs (Sat at ~3 pm EST/8 pm GMT?), this is the list of maps so far that will be played (in no particular order):

Trestle
Lookout
Enforcer Factory (?)
Atrium
Reactor
Kingdom
Yeti-Dome
Roost

Mostly 4v4-6v6 maps

Any maps that I glanced over or missed?
*ahem*

set up for 4v4. Anything more will likely break the spawn system.

Top Bottom