• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Sikamikanico said:
CoF? Or have you got something new cooking?

(I can't look at B.net at work, much to my annoyance. :( )
Yeah, it's Crown of Flies, the version I submitted for the contest. Never had any problems with framerate with the test games that I played, but I never tried 4-player split screen which is what I believe Bungie used in their testing.

squidhands said:
Yeah, it's Crown of Flies, the version I submitted for the contest. Never had any problems with framerate with the test games that I played, but I never tried 4-player split screen which is what I believe Bungie used in their testing.

They tested all maps on 4 player splitscreen??....that's got to be such a small subset of users doing that - to the point of it being questionable bothering to worry about it to be honest.

But hey, it's Bungie. It's how they roll.

EDIT:

ZayneH said:
Added. Though, doesn't the game just break the spawn system itself or something? :p

LOL.

ZayneH said:
Added. Though, doesn't the game just break the spawn system itself or something? :p
touche, salesman.

Sikamikanico said:
They tested all maps on 4 player splitscreen??....that's got to be such a small subset of users doing that - to the point of it being questionable bothering to worry about it to be honest.

But hey, it's Bungie. It's how they roll.
I am only speculating, but most of the standard playlists have a 4 player local player limit. I remember Bungie talking about all of the headaches they have to go through to make sure everything they do supports 4 player co-op, so once Bungie started talking about object density being a problem with some of the entries, I made an educated guess. I might be completely wrong, and I kind of hope so. It would be virtually impossible for me (or most anyone) to test a map with 4 players on one screen, and even setting up 3 dummy controllers wouldn't work for actually testing how the map plays. It would be nice if we could get some examples of what kind of testing they do for matchmaking maps.

zumphry

Banned
squidhands said:
touche, salesman.

I dun get it.

Really, I don't.

Don't they test using their new theater set up on that huge projector screen? Surely that'd be big enough where 4 player split screen isn't horrible to look at. Though, having such a big screen would mean motion sickness from the screen itself and the really horrible, horrible maps.

ZayneH said:
I dun get it.

Really, I don't.

Don't they test using their new theater set up on that huge projector screen? Surely that'd be big enough where 4 player split screen isn't horrible to look at. Though, having such a big screen would mean motion sickness from the screen itself and the really horrible, horrible maps.

Urban Dictionary

As to what they test on, I can't say. It would be great to play split-screen on a huge screen like that, but you're still limited to the power of the xbox, which is where all the split-screen problems are coming from. I have a 42" TV, and 2 player split-screen in Forge World looks atrocious when you're looking at some of the more detailed pieces.

Dani said:
Ideal player count? Which gametypes does it support?

Give me that information and put I'll put it in the mix for the next Customs.

Oh yeah, sorry about that. It's fairly small, so it can support up to like 6 players. However, I did manage to fit like 10 people on their for 5v5 and it was hectic, but fun.

Gametypes it supports are Slayer, Team Slayer, and Capture the Flag.

NOKYARD

squidhands said:
I never tried 4-player split screen which is what I believe Bungie used in their testing.
It depends on which playlist you are shooting for. Maps intended for official playlists should perform well in splitscreen. Maps intended for the community map playlists can be designed for fullscreen.

ZayneH said:
As for ForgeGAF customs (Sat at ~3 pm EST/8 pm GMT?), this is the list of maps so far that will be played (in no particular order):

Trestle
Lookout
Enforcer Factory (?)
Atrium
Reactor
Kingdom
Yeti-Dome
Roost
Crown of Flies
I will bring a 5v5 or 6v6 CTF version of Enforcer Factory to the test. I have no intention of submitting it to Bungie and really only built it for sentimental reasons.
The original Halo 3 version, Sentinel Factory, is where i formally apologized to ~B.B. on behalf of HaloGAF. On the day he died i went into his b.net profile and saw it was the only map in his file share. I still tear up when i think about it.
If enough people believe it is fun enough to be playlist worthy i will consider submitting it.

NOKYARD said:
The original Halo 3 version, Sentinel Factory, is where i formally apologized to ~B.B. on behalf of HaloGAF. On the day he died i went into his b.net profile and saw it was the only map in his file share. I still tear up when i think about it.
:-(

I was so happy to see that Bungie included him as a character in the campaign. RIP ~B.B.

ZayneH said:
Any maps that I glanced over or missed?

If you could play Seashell, I'd be much obliged.

Asymmetric map... I may end up remaking it but I'd like to see how it fares in 4v4. Will probably work for 6v6 if it comes down to it. Slayer, Assault, or CTF.

Retro

Wow.... I haven't played Reach in months, not even Forge. I never did finish that revamp of Moonpool. My Live sub runs out in February too and I wasn't planning to renew it either.

Maybe I'll tinker with it this weekend, though I fucking HATE dropping spawn points. For some reason I can never get them to work the way it seems they should logically work. I dunno what it is but something always screws up.

I may have to enlist somebody to pop the hood and see what's wrong. At this point just getting a proper Slayer / Team Slayer match would be fine by me. Any volunteers?

I think I'll end up redesigning the Red base too, leaving it open to the sky and having lots of transparency causes some lag. I think I'll look for some object type I can use to close it all off.

zumphry

Banned
NOKYARD said:
I will bring a 5v5 or 6v6 CTF version of Enforcer Factory to the test. I have no intention of submitting it to Bungie and really only built it for sentimental reasons.
If enough people believe it is fun enough to be playlist worthy i will consider submitting it.

Oh. Yeah. :(

I still can't believe he's gone (kinda knew him when I posted at B.net), and I was pretty disappointed when people started doing stupid variations of his signature. Though, I think I did it once myself so I feel like an ass. :(

Retro said:
Wow.... I haven't played Reach in months, not even Forge. I never did finish that revamp of Moonpool. My Live sub runs out in February too and I wasn't planning to renew it either.

Maybe I'll tinker with it this weekend, though I fucking HATE dropping spawn points. For some reason I can never get them to work the way it seems they should logically work. I dunno what it is but something always screws up.

I may have to enlist somebody to pop the hood and see what's wrong. At this point just getting a proper Slayer / Team Slayer match would be fine by me. Any volunteers?

I think I'll end up redesigning the Red base too, leaving it open to the sky and having lots of transparency causes some lag. I think I'll look for some object type I can use to close it all off.

I think I have the newest version so it'll be tested.
__
List so far| Saturday @ 3 pm EST/8 pm GMT, will hopefully lead into HaloGAF customs proper

Trestle
Lookout
Enforcer Factory
Atrium
Reactor
Kingdom
Yeti-Dome
Roost
Crown of Flies
Seashell
Moonpool

Any more maps?

Retro

ZayneH said:
I think I have the newest version [of Moonpool] so it'll be tested.

Doubtful; the revamped version has only been played when I set up the gametype because I didn't want an unfinished copy floating around like the prototype.

I guess I'll set some time aside tomorrow to poke at it before testing starts and make sure you have the latest version available. It won't be great, but I've kinda given up on Forging at this point. What's your gamertag, I'll make sure to add you and send a message your way.

All of my awesome ideas fall apart the minute I realize I have to fuck with spawn points. Hate hate hate it.

DD-11

ZayneH said:
Oh. Yeah. :(

I still can't believe he's gone (kinda knew him when I posted at B.net), and I was pretty disappointed when people started doing stupid variations of his signature. Though, I think I did it once myself so I feel like an ass. :(

I think I have the newest version so it'll be tested.
__
List so far| Saturday @ 3 pm EST/8 pm GMT, will hopefully lead into HaloGAF customs proper

Trestle
Lookout
Enforcer Factory
Atrium
Reactor
Kingdom
Yeti-Dome
Roost
Crown of Flies
Seashell
Moonpool

Any more maps?

Is that my version of reactor? Probably not...how many maps is too many?

zumphry

Banned
Retro said:
Doubtful; the revamped version has only been played when I set up the gametype because I didn't want an unfinished copy floating around like the prototype.

I guess I'll set some time aside tomorrow to poke at it before testing starts and make sure you have the latest version available. It won't be great, but I've kinda given up on Forging at this point. What's your gamertag, I'll make sure to add you and send a message your way.

All of my awesome ideas fall apart the minute I realize I have to fuck with spawn points. Hate hate hate it.

Alright, if you want I could help set up spawns. I'll be up tonight fixing Roost's spawns.

GT: ZayneHumphrey

DD-11 said:
Is that my version of reactor? Probably not...how many maps is too many?

Nah, that's Vhfive's Reactor. As for how many maps is too much, I'd think like 20+ would be bad, but what we have so far (plus around 3-5 more) should be good. Though, I don't want to cut into the regular custom's map lineup too much and have deja vu.

Or something.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ZayneH said:
Though, I don't want to cut into the regular custom's map lineup too much and have deja vu.

Or something.

Regular Customs will be running whatever HaloGAF maps we can get, so there will be some crossover in the lineups for sure.

zumphry

Banned
Dani said:
Regular Customs will be running whatever HaloGAF maps we can get, so there will be some crossover in the lineups for sure.

So would a list of the better maps be good to send/tell you?

I don't wanna have something like Abridged or whatever happen. :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ZayneH said:
So would a list of the better maps be good to send/tell you?

I don't wanna have something like Abridged or whatever happen. :p

I'll be along to ForgeGAF Customs. Ideally ForgeGAF Customs is the best place to get feedback, particularly compared to regular Customs. The more feedback we can generate, the better we can advise the map makers to improve their maps.

GhaleonEB

Maps on tap for tomorrow's regularly scheduled GAF customs:

Reactor | vhfive
Château | timetokill / BEARCANO
Seashell | timetokill / BEARCANO
Kingdom | Sikamikanico
Atrium V1 | Sikamikanico
Trestle | op_ivy
Yeti Dome | -Yeti

We went through and grabbed maps that were posted in the last month in this thread, basically, the idea being to snag maps from users who are still active. If you have an older map you'd like pulled into customs, just re-post it or link to the post. And if we missed one, likewise just give a shout.

If the map makers could make customs, that would probably help get the most direct feedback. But if not, I'll be saving and sending the film of each match over to the creators so they can watch the games, and posting some organized feedback / observations here from the players.

Let's do this.

Kingdom has seen some pretty big revisions thanks to some testing the other night.

Please grab the newer version, which I promise I won't tweak anymore! It's had a load of fixes, including regaining nearly $1000 in budget. LOVELY. :)

Kingdom (FINAL)

Behold the flythrough including all the lovely changes. :) VIDEO

Looks forward to playing with you guys later (if there's room!)

Speaking of which...I think Atrium has seen some massive revisions since its first iteration....I'll check...

and Yep, please redownload Atrium too...

Atrium Version 2!

GhaleonEB said:

Reactor | vhfive
Kingdom | Sikamikanico
Atrium V1 | Sikamikanico
Trestle | op_ivy
Yeti Dome | -Yeti

We went through and grabbed maps that were posted in the last month in this thread, basically, the idea being to snag maps from users who are still active. If you have an older map you'd like pulled into customs, just re-post it or link to the post. And if we missed one, likewise just give a shout.

If the map makers could make customs, that would probably help get the most direct feedback. But if not, I'll be saving and sending the film of each match over to the creators so they can watch the games, and posting some organized feedback / observations here from the players.

Let's do this.

Thanks Ghaleon! If I can make it to customs I definitely will join in, but if not I would really appreciate the films :) Thanks so much!

vhfive

GhaleonEB said:

Reactor | vhfive
Kingdom | Sikamikanico
Atrium V1 | Sikamikanico
Trestle | op_ivy
Yeti Dome | -Yeti

Let's do this.
Im gonna try to be around

Retro

ZayneH said:
Alright, if you want I could help set up spawns. I'll be up tonight fixing Roost's spawns.

GT: ZayneHumphrey

Alright, I'll add you and keep an eye out.

Also, refresh my memory; when are regular HaloGAF customs? I seem to recall 5PM EST, but it's been a while.

Blue Ninja said:
Finished the latest incarnation of Lookout not too long ago. If everyone could just give it a whirl and tell me what they liked and what they didn't like, that'd be awesome. It's suited for Slayer, King of the Hill, Headhunter, Infection and Juggernaut. I'm especially interested to hear how Infection runs on it. :)

Some screenshots:

13-1.jpg

7-2.jpg

6-1.jpg

Everybody loves the floating rock.

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

And of course, a download link.
Bringing this back up to get some more input. It's a 99%-final version, but any comments you guys have would be greatly appreciated. The ones that downloaded seem to like it, but as you can see, not a lot of people downloaded it (the previous iteration got around 100 downloads, I think). I'm especially interested to hear if Assault, King of the Hill, Headhunter and Infection are enjoyable.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:

Reactor | vhfive
Kingdom | Sikamikanico
Atrium V1 | Sikamikanico
Trestle | op_ivy
Yeti Dome | -Yeti

Let's do this.

as a fellow N. American, when is this exactly? Dani said 1am sunday GMT.... so 5pmPST/8pmEST sat? or am i still an hour off for daylight savings?

My friend request to the ForgeGAF tag hasnt been accepted yet. I'll be online so hit me up when you need me. Really looking forward to getting some decent testing done! :)

Hey You

I don't know if we are following a format or anything, but here's my first ever Forge Map I created in Reach a few months back.

Sky High on Bereavement

This is a headhunter game. Fits 2-8 players. Anymore and it will become too crowded.

The objective of the game is to kill other players and get to the top with your skulls to capture them. You have Jetpacks and you can jump higher than normal. There are blocks and other items on the walls and portable (destroyable) shields floating in mid-air.

The Portable shields not only act as a object to use to reach the top, but will also catch skulls. Which is perfect for those who prefer to sit at the bottom of the map and catch dropped skulls.

The Floor has openings, big enough for skulls to fall through but small enough for players not to fall through.

The Fileset includes some screenshots of the map.

Gametype: Sky High

Map: Bereavement

If your looking for random crazy fun, this map might be what your looking for.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Sikamikanico said:
I thought he said 1am GMT, not UTC...

I make it about 7.5 hours from now.
UTC=GMT ;)

Edit.: I thought Zayne wants to host a "extra" HaloGAF FORGE custom. In normal HaloGAF custom Ghal wants to test HaloGAF maps for the community catographer. If I'm assume this right.

zumphry

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Here is "The Fixed Time World Clock":
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...=23&month=1&year=2011&hour=1&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

ForgeCustom in 2 hours or 3?

It's in 1h35m now.

List:

Trestle
Lookout
Enforcer Factory
Atrium
Reactor
Kingdom
Yeti-Dome
Roost
Crown of Flies
Seashell
Moonpool
Bereavement

I'm pretty stupid when it comes to timezones (among most everything else). Doesn't help that I use 24 hour clocks lately, does it?

Hypertrooper said:
I thought Zayne wants to host a "extra" HaloGAF FORGE custom. In normal HaloGAF custom Ghal wants to test HaloGAF maps for the community catographer. If I'm assume this right.

ForgeGAF customs is the pre-show to the regular HaloGAF customs. It's where people can test out their maps first for feedback, and the better/more polished ones already picked by Dani/Ghaleon are going to be in HaloGAF customs so more people can be there for scathing criticism more feedback.

Should wait for a better answer by Dani/Ghaleon due to me probably saying something wrong

op_ivy

probably too late for this weeks testing, but i just finished up a map i've been working on all week, Truss.

Truss is basically a larger version of my previous map, Trestle (formerly "Long Walk Short Bridge"), which always felt a bit cramped for anything larger then 4v4. Truss should work very well as a 4v4 map, possibly supporting up to 16 players. Currently team slayer is supported.

Many of the successful elements of Trestle return, with loads of new surprised. i really tried to have spots for creative and dangerous jumps, more so with people choosing to use the sprint AA.

hopefully we can get it tested this week or next, i'd love feedback, especially as i just wrapped up creating it and it likely has some issues to iron out...

download link
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=12969186&player=LoopOfHenle

overhead view. jumps to the snipers and rockets visible. sniper nests facing opposing bases in the center
5378298929_8d964d7db8_b.jpg

Truss: Too big. I really do not know where the enemies were. But Juice killed me too often. At some point of the map it showed I should return to the battlefield(It was near at some gravity lift).

Yeti-Dome. Awesome map, even if Zayne cheated. I like it, if it was planned as a FFA-map. In my opinion it is playlist worthy!

Kingdom: awesome map, too. Well designed. It was funny to kill Zayne at the beginning(I'm such a pro *lol* ).

The map, where we played Assault: I got a nostalgia feeling. First I thought it was a Narrow remake. I haven't noticed many issue on it. I like it.

The map with the water are on the bottom: It could be good, but I got framerate issue on the top and on the bottom.

Maybe I'll write a detailed review about the maps tomorrow. Funny rounds :)

op_ivy

Hypertrooper said:
Truss: Too big. I really do not know where the enemies were. But Juice killed me too often. At some point of the map it showed I should return to the battlefield(It was near at some gravity lift).

how many players?

Hypertrooper said:
The map, where we played Assault: I got a nostalgia feeling. First I thought it was a Narrow remake. I haven't noticed many issue on it. I like it.

was that Trestle?

Hypertrooper said:
Yeti-Dome. Awesome map, even if Zayne cheated. I like it, if it was planned as a FFA-map. In my opinion it is playlist worthy!

So, how did he cheat? Is the map breakable?

I know it's not finished, I really only wanted a general opinion on it... And so far, so good!

I really can't wait to get a new 360 so I can continue playing with you guys and make new maps!

Ninja-Edit: Oh yeah, and it was built primarily for FFA. Quick deathmatches are my favorite... well besides nice, fair BTB matches. :)

Ninja-Edit #2: One last thing, thanks for playing guys!!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
-Yeti said:

I know it's not finished, I really only wanted a general opinion on it... And so far, so good!

I really can't wait to get a new 360 so I can continue playing with you guys and make new maps!

Ninja-Edit: Oh yeah, and it was built primarily for FFA. Quick deathmatches are my favorite... well besides nice, fair BTB matches. :)

Loved the map. Nice FFA space for sure.

-Yeti said:

It was just a kind of a joke. Because Zayne won the game and nobody noticed it.(His cheat method is called luck)

Top Bottom