• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

MrBig

timetokill said:
NEW MAP!

Guys, if you would be so kind as to play Surf, my new map? :) http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13255478&player=BEARCANO

It's only set up for Slayer variants right now, so please stick to that. I've been up all night working on it just trying to get it ready for ForgeGAF customs, so pleeeeease :)

Here's a shot of it, some spawn points and all ;)
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee426/bearcano/halo/surf_v1_over.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
Dowloaded it if you're not going to be there to put it up.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ZayneH said:
Tomorrow's list so far:

Might roll around* in Yeti-Dome when waiting for people to show up, so that'll be technically game one...

In order:
Lookout | FFA
Bereavement | Assoc. Gametype
Bulldogs | Assoc. Gametype
Bikini Atoll | Gaffball
Moonpool | Slayer
Truss or Trestle (depends on party size) | Slayer or CTF (ARs)
- Ditto -
Crown of Flies | Slayer
Kingdom | CTF
Roost | CTF

I was going to have Roost before Kingdom so that if it sucked, we could wash it down with Kingdom, but I'd rather my map not be played due to people taking a break, just so more gametime can be played on other maps.

If I missed your map/recommended options, it'll be added in the mix before we start.

scarves: armor lock evolved. sorry in advance, yeti

if at all possible, i'd like to get BOTH Trestle.b and Truss.4 tested (team slayer only). i'll be on at noon to help out

edit: just saw the ditto

Hey y'all.

If possible could you throw my first attempt at a map into ForgeGAF customs? I'll probably be there, but just in case I'll throw up a link here:

Bregopticon WIP

It's a symmetrical Arena that is so far only set up for 4v4 Team Slayer or 8-man FFA Slayer

EDITED: to update link to WIP map that has newer spawn setup.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I may or may not be able to make it to ForgeGAF Customs today, but I 'd appreciate if folks would be kind enough to leave each other feedback for the maps they play. =)

op_ivy

Dani said:
I may or may not be able to make it to ForgeGAF Customs today, but I 'd appreciate if folks would be kind enough to leave each other feedback for the maps they play. =)

i 2nd this. good, in depth feedback. what works and what doesnt. pictures to illustrate points would also be a good thing to aim for (but is probably unrealistic to expect for EVERY map). be open and honest, you wont hurt peoples feelings as long as its constructive. maps will only improve if people offer criticism and helpful suggestions!

op_ivy

i'll be a little late for forgeGAF, i'm aiming for 12:30PST. if you guys can hold off on my maps (truss and trestle) a bit, i'd appreciate it.

Retro

Just a head's up, I will be about 30 minutes late to the ForgeGAF Customs. I'll upload the latest version of Moonpool right before I get on, so don't go playing it until Retrogames pesters you.

Sorry, last minute trip out and it being saturday... FML =p

MrBig

Bereavement- This was really fun. Clean up the bottom so that the cracks are consistent and then add a soft kill zone down there so that people don't camp.

Bulldogs- :)

Surf- The side was way too open. Not enough weapons. Cliff side is OP to the team over there. Grenade launcher needs more ammo. There is a ramp on the non-cliff side that goes backwards, was confusing.

Factory- You can pick up the rockets by just walking into the shield. I really like this.

Truss- Too easy to camp. Needs DMRs. Doesn't flow well. Some parts can be shot at from way too many angles.

Editing as we play...

MrBig said:
Surf- The side was way too open. Not enough weapons. Cliff side is OP to the team over there. Grenade launcher needs more ammo. There is a ramp on the non-cliff side that goes backwards, was confusing.

Thanks for the impressions!
Hm, the cliff side (blue team spawn) was OP? Interesting.

I tend to put less ammo in weapons when I first start placing them to see how people use different weapons on the map more easily. Also, the general idea for the map was to make it so the ship was difficult to control by virtue of having to leave it to get more ammo frequently. I'll have to see how that played out.

The other aspect is it's partly designed as an asymmetric thing, where the blue team (cliff side) needs to plant a bomb / steal a flag that is probably going to be located on the ship itself. We'll see how that works when I get that set up, but if anybody has suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

What do you mean there's a ramp that goes backwards?

Hey You

MrBig said:
Bereavement- This was really fun. Clean up the bottom so that the cracks are consistent and then add a soft kill zone down there so that people don't camp.

:)

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, people may camp down there but its much further for them to reach the top to capture skulls.

op_ivy

MrBig said:
Truss- Too easy to camp. Needs DMRs. Doesn't flow well. Some parts can be shot at from way too many angles.

ouch. maybe i'm too close to it personally, but i thought it played very well. could you eloborate on your complaints specifically? where were people camping? how did it not flow well? i guess both games red team utterly dominated blue, but it wasnt apparent to me why...

i thought there was a nice balance between holding the top center of the two bridges, while covering the approach from the base sides and man cannon, and the other bridge. and fyi, there are 12 DMRs and 8 needle rifles on the map... i dont think it "needs" dmr starts (but i think most maps dont need them)

would really like to hear from others, maybe its just a lame duck and i dont see it.

MrBig

op_ivy said:
ouch. maybe i'm too close to it personally, but i thought it played very well. could you eloborate on your complaints specifically? where were people camping? how did it not flow well?

i thought there was a nice balance between holding the top center of the two bridges, while covering the approach from the base sides and man cannon, and the other bridge. and fyi, there are 12 DMRs and 8 needle rifles on the map... i dont think it "needs" dmr starts (but i think most maps dont need them)

would really like to hear from others, maybe its just a lame duck and i dont see it.
It's not bad, I was just trying to be a little harsh because it did need some work. It's big and open enough so that if one team stays up for long enough and has all DMRs, the other team has all ARs and can't advance on either of the hills, since you can easily take out anything from the other hill. Bottom pathways are open to DMR fire from the opposite top hill as well. Combat seemed to center around one hill or the other. There was no movement.

NOKYARD

Hey You said:
Bereavement
Have you considered adding small ramps to the bottom of the little ledges which line the sides. It was a bit frustrating getting caught on them. Otherwise, a very fun and creative game (yes, i won due to being very familiar with the Sword/Jetpack combo). Also, Bereavement. The name sounds a but too solemn for such a fun variant. Something catchy like Meteor Shower would be a better fit.

op_ivy

MrBig said:
It's not bad, I was just trying to be a little harsh because it did need some work. It's big and open enough so that if one team stays up for long enough and has all DMRs, the other team has all ARs and can't advance on either of the hills, since you can easily take out anything from the other hill. Bottom pathways are open to DMR fire from the opposite top hill as well. Combat seemed to center around one hill or the other. There was no movement.

i guess part of the problem is that i actually designed it for combat to center around those hills, and i thought the game played out very well for that.

what suggestions would you have to improve it? cover up the bottom walkway?

zumphry

Banned
I'll write up my thing later tonight. Though, I really think I'm just going to start all over on Roost. Try to use less wall pieces, clean up building blocks, etc. That way I'll be able to hopefully remove the teleporters and turn them into a pathway like they really are right now. As for the back of the base, I was thinking of either removing that circular area, but after some forging, moving them closer looked great (well, as great as they could be in the current version).

Though, before that I think I'll finish up Aurora v1 and re-rebuild Downpour. Giant Squishy Pit of Aqua, my KotH/Stockpile/Territories only map, and a arena style map I have as ideas will have to wait.

Hopefully people post impressions of Roost so I can tinker with suggestions with the Frankenstein version of the map I have now.

Hey You

NOKYARD said:
Have you considered adding small ramps to the bottom of the little ledges which line the sides. It was a bit frustrating getting caught on them. Otherwise, a very fun and creative game (yes, i won due to being very familiar with the Sword/Jetpack combo). Also, Bereavement. The name sounds a but too solemn for such a fun variant. Something catchy like Meteor Shower would be a better fit.
I'll consider that and I'll try to come up with a better name.

Thanks to those who gave feedback so far, any more anyone has is also welcome.

Glad people enjoy it.

op_ivy

ZayneH said:
I'll write up my thing later tonight. Though, I really think I'm just going to start all over on Roost. Try to use less wall pieces, clean up building blocks, etc. That way I'll be able to hopefully remove the teleporters and turn them into a pathway like they really are right now. As for the back of the base, I was thinking of either removing that circular area, but after some forging, moving them closer looked great (well, as great as they could be in the current version).

Though, before that I think I'll finish up Aurora v1 and re-rebuild Downpour. Giant Squishy Pit of Aqua, my KotH/Stockpile/Territories only map, and a arena style map I have as ideas will have to wait.

Hopefully people post impressions of Roost so I can tinker with suggestions with the Frankenstein version of the map I have now.

i really enjoyed CTF on roost. would like to test it in TS as well and see how that changes things.

personally, i liked the teleporter set up, as even though it basically acted as tunnel across the map, it still had that cool element of surprise were all of a sudden a few guys that werent nearby on the motion tracker, all of a sudden are on top of you.

my suggestions echo what was said in game; the rear of the base needs to be focused/condensed, and the sniper rifle needs to be away from the flag. maybe at the far end of the elevated walkway in front of the base, or on the elevated platform behind the base even.

oh, and get rid of the filter!

zumphry

Banned
op_ivy said:
i really enjoyed CTF on roost. would like to test it in TS as well and see how that changes things.

personally, i liked the teleporter set up, as even though it basically acted as tunnel across the map, it still had that cool element of surprise were all of a sudden a few guys that werent nearby on the motion tracker, all of a sudden are on top of you.

my suggestions echo what was said in game; the rear of the base needs to be focused/condensed, and the sniper rifle needs to be away from the flag. maybe at the far end of the elevated walkway in front of the base, or on the elevated platform behind the base even.

oh, and get rid of the filter!

I actually took the Sniper out of the map entirely. If I switched it for Overshield, then the sniper would have it's own dedicated platform, and that's not good. There are magnums near the active camo, and I could replace them with snipers (echoing Nokyard's suggestion of each team having the same chance at grabbing each other's sniper), but then a sniper could grab AC, and 16 shots for the sniper.

And the filter's been removed from both the current version, and the "minefield" version. Minefield will be me tinkering with suggestions and will be where I'll delete everything from the map and just have the floor.

And a question for Ghal/Dani/Nokyard: Can cartographer/matchmaking maps have the powerups like Overshield/Active Camo, or not? The camo armor ability seems like it'd make the power up redundant, and no other map in matchmaking has Overshield.

By the way, along with any other impressions of Surf, if anybody could put a saved film of it on their File Share I would much obliged!

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Here's the film of Kingdom from customs. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13296967&player=Mr Kwatz

Let me know when you download it so I can put the next map up
I'm bummed I didn't get to play on Kingdom today, I was looking forward to it all week. We had the odd problem of too many players to test the smaller maps, which is what most of them are. (I'll add a large one into the mix next week - almost done). Did you guys play a CTF game on it in addition to Slayer, by chance? I'd like to know how that plays out on it.

What game types does Kingdom support? I need to know for science.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm bummed I didn't get to play on Kingdom today, I was looking forward to it all week. We had the odd problem of too many players to test the smaller maps, which is what most of them are. (I'll add a large one into the mix next week - almost done). Did you guys play a CTF game on it in addition to Slayer, by chance? I'd like to know how that plays out on it.

I've grabbed the Slayer film, thanks for that.

The map supports everything except Invasion and Race. As I'm at a LAN, I'll try and get some CTF games etc done and upload them for you Ghal. :)

Sikamikanico said:

The map supports everything except Invasion and Race. As I'm at a LAN, I'll try and get some CTF games etc done and upload them for you Ghal. :)

As promised, latest version dated 30th January in file share (there was an issue with the territories set up which was fixed) along with CTF, Oddball and Stockpile films in my fileshare. Thanks!

op_ivy

some thoughts on matches played...

yeti-dome (pookie) - zayne, i hope you rot in hell for that! sounds harsh, but you'd understand if you were there.

lookout (FFA) - this map has a lot of interesting spaces, but the way its put together, the vast majority of them are useless to go to or to be spawned in. most everything that happened on this map happened in the upper portions and on the long walkway up top where the grav lift throws you. there is very few ways to get up there, so anyone there has an easy time defending it.

Bereavement (skyhigh) - wasnt a fan of this at all. for those that havent played it, its a headhunter game with jetpacks only in a very tall structure with the capture point at the top. loadouts were shotgun, sword, or needle rifle, and of course jet packs. what went wrong; too many objects strewn throughout the chamber to get hung up on, missed skulls after kills (most ended up collecting at the bottom), and jet pack controls not really meant for navigating smoothly vertically (not the forgers fault). what i did like; the "fan" of sorts at the top with a kill zone outside of it if you got to forceful with your jet pack. it reminded me of that classic scene in charlie and the chocolate factory where the bubbles make them float through a similar chamber nearly to their deaths.

apologies for all the griefing i did from a distance with the NERFLE. i wasnt having much fun flying around clashing swords and missing skulls.

most seemed to like it though, so don't feel bad. i'm not much of a fan of these other game types...

... and that brings me to

the playground (bulldogs) - didnt like this either. its a solid mode, just not my cup of tea, and being that its such a simple idea and map, i dont have any other comments other then i like the little details added for visual flair.

surf (TS) - really great look to the map, but it definitely felt lopsided towards the blue team. the cliffs are way OP, as they give you a great vantage over everything else. if possible (it would be a huge pain, i know), i'd suggest moving the ship to a centralized location with both sides being roughly the same types of areas (shallow water with rocks) rather then cliff and water. or, maybe you could make the cliffs accessible to the red team as well as the blue, but then the focus of the map, the ship itself, would likely still be mostly ignored.

someone also mentioned that if you rub alongside one of the blue's Colosseum walls, you hit a softkill zone.

enforcer factory (CTF) - decent map that made for a pretty good ctf game. the man cannons to get to the upper level were very temperamental, causing me to suicide twice before finally figuring out how to use them without dying. i think they need to guide your path better, i'd suggest placing some objects to direct the flight path early on so you cant just super jump then fall to your death. but the point is kind of moot anyways, as i found the upper level to be pointless (other then the weapons placed there). the rest of the map consists primarily of really long straight elevated walkways, and i didnt find combat on them to be particularly interesting.

truss (AR/pistol, DMR TS) - i said my thoughts on this above. i'd still like to hear from more people that played what they thought, as i'm thinking of just moving on from it. i'm glad zayne fired up a second round with DMR starts, as i didnt realize just how much GAF needs that :)P).

i think it would be interesting to play ctf on though, but it doesnt currently support that.

kingdoms (CTF) - nice, simple design that worked quite well for CTF but i could just as easily see this working well for most (if not all) standard game types. no complaints, this is a map that could be in matchmaking.

crown of flies (TS) - favorite map of the day, and sounds like its being looked at by the cartographers. get this in matchmaking. original layout that works, games moved well over holding the upper ramp portion overlooking the inner courtyard below, and the area where the sniper spawns just outside. only issue i found was a place on the outside of the map where there is an incline it looks like you could hide under. i was being chased and tried to hide there only to find out the maker had put a softkill zone there. i either think the softkill zone should be removed, or probably better yet, a block or barrier should be there to eliminate the spot entirely if it wasnt meant to be used.

roost - spoke about this earlier. good CTF map with a few fixes that need to be implemented. not sure how it would play out for anything else though.

GhaleonEB

Sikamikanico said:

I just grabbed the current version (looks like an older version is in your file share as well, BTW).

op_ivy said:
kingdoms (CTF) - nice, simple design that worked quite well for CTF but i could just as easily see this working well for most (if not all) standard game types. no complaints, this is a map that could be in matchmaking.
I agree. Which is why I (and Dani) am submitting it to the Community Cartographers group as the first GAF map.

There are a lot of good maps in the mix and many of them are receiving updates, but this is the map that's gotten pretty much universal praise and has already received the needed tweaks from the first playtest. Seems like it's ready to go. And it's a perfect fit for the Slayer and team objective games, and is configured to support them.

Personally, I had one of the best games of Slayer in GAF customs like, ever, last week. The map rocks.

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
I just grabbed the current version (looks like an older version is in your file share as well, BTW).

I agree. Which is why I (and Dani) am submitting it to the Community Cartographers group as the first GAF map.

There are a lot of good maps in the mix and many of them are receiving updates, but this is the map that's gotten pretty much universal praise and has already received the needed tweaks from the first playtest. Seems like it's ready to go. And it's a perfect fit for the Slayer and team objective games, and is configured to support them.

Personally, I had one of the best games of Slayer in GAF customs like, ever, last week. The map rocks.

i thought someone mentioned the same about crown of flies, true?

also, not sure if i missed this, but are you able to go into specifics of how the process is supposed to work, things you are looking for, things that should be excluded?

i ask because many people seem to have questions about whether or not maps should have filters, power ups, or the like.

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
i thought someone mentioned the same about crown of flies, true?

also, not sure if i missed this, but are you able to go into specifics of how the process is supposed to work, things you are looking for, things that should be excluded?

i ask because many people seem to have questions about whether or not maps should have filters, power ups, or the like.
Correct, Crown of Flies has been submitted, though not from Dani or myself. Another community you roll in must have picked it up.

In terms of process, there's a pretty loose body of rules governing things; Bungie is leaving the selection process up to each community. The guidance given is mostly around process: play test, give feedback, when it seems ready, post about it to the group where they'll get subsequent play tests. Maps configured for standard matchmaking game types are preferred as the goal is to find maps that can be integrated into the current mix of playlists.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:

It really is my favorite forge map so far. And as an added bonus, hologram is super effective because of all the corners. Great job on this map. Just get all the stock gametypes supported and it'll be perfect.

Flies was great as well, but I'm not a fan of small maps as much as I used to be. It seemed great and everyone liked it, and was forged very well, I'd recommend this one too.

I'll put surf up now. Anyone else need their maps films?

e: surf seems to have disappeared from my temp files, even though all of the other maps we played are on there. Can someone else get that?
Here's the CTF game on Kingdom http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13319661&player=Mr Kwatz

NOKYARD

Sikamikanico said:
Can you elaborate Nokyard? I want it perfect before I kick it out the door! :)
Will you be online tonight? I am leaving now for a 7 to 8 hour drive but we can go over it when i get home. The fix is simple but needs to be explained in Forge.

Also, Rockets and Neutral Bomb overlap.

op_ivy said:
surf (TS) - really great look to the map, but it definitely felt lopsided towards the blue team. the cliffs are way OP, as they give you a great vantage over everything else. if possible (it would be a huge pain, i know), i'd suggest moving the ship to a centralized location with both sides being roughly the same types of areas (shallow water with rocks) rather then cliff and water. or, maybe you could make the cliffs accessible to the red team as well as the blue, but then the focus of the map, the ship itself, would likely still be mostly ignored.

someone also mentioned that if you rub alongside one of the blue's Colosseum walls, you hit a softkill zone.

Interesting... I'd love to see a saved film of this if possible. I didn't expect the cliffs to be as overpowered as they apparently are, so seeing that in action would be illuminating.

As a question, I was planning on using the map for some asymmetric gametypes -- one flag, one bomb, etc, where blue team is forced to get onto the ship or perhaps even beyond into the red team base, which should (theoretically) make the cliff less of an issue. The idea was to give blue team a bunch of strong starting positions but to make red team's side more easily defendable. I wonder if that's the case or not.

I'll definitely check the kill zones again... there are like 20 of them on the map since it's laid out so strangely :p

THANK YOU for the impressions! Seriously! :)

op_ivy

timetokill said:
Interesting... I'd love to see a saved film of this if possible. I didn't expect the cliffs to be as overpowered as they apparently are, so seeing that in action would be illuminating.

As a question, I was planning on using the map for some asymmetric gametypes -- one flag, one bomb, etc, where blue team is forced to get onto the ship or perhaps even beyond into the red team base, which should (theoretically) make the cliff less of an issue. The idea was to give blue team a bunch of strong starting positions but to make red team's side more easily defendable. I wonder if that's the case or not.

I'll definitely check the kill zones again... there are like 20 of them on the map since it's laid out so strangely :p

THANK YOU for the impressions! Seriously! :)

i'll add the film to my file share soon, unless someone beats me to it.

an asymmetrical gametype like you describe (defending the ship) could potentially work well, so long as its not too easy to get from the upper cliffs to the flag or bomb spot.

Also, i didnt mention this before, but i think the rocks and bits of the ship need significant cleaning up or simplification. a lot of the map looked like jumbles of forge objects without clear intentions for player movement.

op_ivy said:
i'll add the film to my file share soon, unless someone beats me to it.

an asymmetrical gametype like you describe (defending the ship) could potentially work well, so long as its not too easy to get from the upper cliffs to the flag or bomb spot.

Also, i didnt mention this before, but i think the rocks and bits of the ship need significant cleaning up or simplification. a lot of the map looked like jumbles of forge objects without clear intentions for player movement.

I could see that being the case... I wanted to get a chaotic feeling of where the ship had wrecked, but it's pretty tough to convey that with just the Forge objects... good chance I will end up cleaning up a bit of the "wreckage" to make it a little clearer.

op_ivy

NOKYARD said:
Will you be online tonight? I am leaving now for a 7 to 8 hour drive but we can go over it when i get home. The fix is simple but needs to be explained in Forge.

Also, Rockets and Neutral Bomb overlap.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get on for at least 8 or so hours.

Feel free to try and explain via the written word if you're not around! I'll fix the overlap too.

GhaleonEB

Sikamikanico said:
Doesn't look like I'm going to get on for at least 8 or so hours.

Feel free to try and explain via the written word if you're not around! I'll fix the overlap too.
Seriously. I'm going to post the map tonight, so if there's not time to describe the minor issue before the trip, I'm going to go ahead and just note a minor tweak is incoming to a soft kill barrier.

Top Bottom