• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

zumphry

Banned
Retro said:
Flags would go in the red and blue bases. That's what they were designed for.

As for being online, any time Friday during the day work for ya? I'm Eastern time, so... 9 to 3 PM, roughly. Today was kind of wonky since I was up late and slept in.

I'll hopefully be on about then. I'm the same with my sleep schedule.

As for Customs, same time on Saturday sound good for every one?

e: People in the Reach thread were talking about the one Terminal forge remake and how it uses the kill ball, but I didn't like how if you were under it when it passed it still killed you. Well, I just tested it and if you can't see the middle orb inside the kill ball, you won't be killed by the guardians. Sadly, I doubt the guy who made Terminal 777 has the budget to add something to block the middle orb from being shown when it passes by (or that the pallet has anything small enough to not make anything placed look ugly).

Striker said:
Here's a download of my 1-side map, Reliance, if anybody's interested in checking it out. Will have to adjust more things later, namely the soft kill and hard kill zones. If all goes well on that, it would be cool to set it up in GAF's customs. On paper I think it will work well for 4v4 but I think 6v6 could vie also. Right now it's setup for Slayer, 1-CTF, 1-Bomb, and Territories.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13494522&player=Striker029

I should have gotten a couple pictures to kind of preview, but I will have to do that in a couple days or so.
I'll give it a whirl, don't have anything else to do today, so I'll be testing out some new maps.

Right. Nobody was online when I tested it, so I won't be judging how it plays. I do have some general remarks, though.

First off, your map is pretty big, which is nice. I like the way you creatively built structures. I'm not sure how easy it'll be to navigate, though.

Secondly, you might want to install some Kill barriers, be it hard or soft. My exploration instincts took a old of me when I saw where your map was located, and lo and behold, there was nothing in the way to stop me.

Now, in some cases, invisible walls are the devil. Multiplayer, however, should use them just to prevent situations like these:

In any case, as your map's still in Beta, those are only minor problems I'm sure you'll fix once you finish it. :)

Once I've gotten some feedback on Deluge I'll probably post it on Forgehub, too. Would hate delivering an "unfinished" project to them.

Retro

ZayneH said:
I'll hopefully be on about then. I'm the same with my sleep schedule.

As for Customs, same time on Saturday sound good for every one?

Cool, I'll look for you. My power has been flickering out for obnoxious 30 second intervals all week (twice today), but I should still be on and I'll watch for ya.

3 PM EST on Saturday worked out great; late enough in the day I was able to get shopping, odd jobs, etc. done, but early enough that we weren't conflicting with dinner or sleep.

Striker

Thanks for checking it out.

Yes, it is somewhat large. That's what I kind of felt the need to give man-cannons to the offensive base to help remedy that side. Still unsure if a Ghost is worth it, but there is decent means of anti-Ghost fire on the map.

I think primarily all I have to do is set the soft and hard kill zones. I will likely check into the flag away zones as well since I hope 1-CTF is favorable.

GhaleonEB

RE: Deluge

I'm not a huge fan of these types of maps (bridge/platform constructions ala Cage, Guardian, Lockout), but this seems like a good core design. The sight lines are pretty clean while still providing a fair amount of cover. The only one I noted could use something was the low elbow area on the inside corner, as it's a long unexposed walkway down and around.

A few suggestions:

The tower to tower combat seems like it could be limited because they're such small surfaces and have so much cover.

I haven't played a game on it but I can see eight players getting pretty crazy; it seems pretty small.

My overall impression was that it needed a bit more dance floor. The ratio of bridges to platforms is pretty high, and the largest area in the center has the crates on it which make it feel much smaller than it is. Given the number of hard corners and close quarters areas, having both the shotty and the hammer might be CQC overkill.

GhaleonEB said:
RE: Deluge

I'm not a huge fan of these types of maps (bridge/platform constructions ala Cage, Guardian, Lockout), but this seems like a good core design. The sight lines are pretty clean while still providing a fair amount of cover. The only one I noted could use something was the low elbow area on the inside corner, as it's a long unexposed walkway down and around.

A few suggestions:

The tower to tower combat seems like it could be limited because they're such small surfaces and have so much cover.

I haven't played a game on it but I can see eight players getting pretty crazy; it seems pretty small.

My overall impression was that it needed a bit more dance floor. The ratio of bridges to platforms is pretty high, and the largest area in the center has the crates on it which make it feel much smaller than it is. Given the number of hard corners and close quarters areas, having both the shotty and the hammer might be CQC overkill.
I wondered about having the shotty and the hammer in it, but kept them in to 'even the sides', as it were. Will probably remove one of them, the combination might be a bit too crazy.

Same with the crates in the center. They're primarily there to provide some cover, but I think I'll end up removing them. I might add in another 'dance floor' near the pro pipe spawn, it depends on how well it plays now. If you guys could test it out during Customs this week, that'd be great. I'm going to try and get a few HBO people together for testing tonight.

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:
I wondered about having the shotty and the hammer in it, but kept them in to 'even the sides', as it were. Might remove one of them, if the need arises.

Same with the crates in the center. They're primarily there to provide some cover, but I think It'll end up removing them. I might add in another 'dance floor' near the pro pipe spawn, it depends on how well it plays now. If you guys could test it out during Customs this week, that'd be great. I'm going to try and get a few HBO people together for testing tonight.
Definately, I'll be in the queue for Saturday. My first impressions of maps are often not on target for how they play (see: my own maps), so you might want to hold off on changes until it's been played, unless you were going in that direction already. :)

GhaleonEB said:
Definately, I'll be in the queue for Saturday. My first impressions of maps are often not on target for how they play (see: my own maps), so you might want to hold off on changes until it's been played, unless you were going in that direction already. :)
I was. The things you addressed were some of the things I was least sure of when I finished. I'm not deleting the old version yet, but I've got another one with some slight additions (and removals: the crates and the shotty) lined up. Well, not really lined up, but in the works. :p

Things that are different in the other version:
- No crates on the main deck
- A Double Room to replace the long, exposed bridge where the Pro pipe spawns
- Removal of Shotty

And then one other thing:
- Opening up the top of the Gravlift building. This is one change I'm not sure would be for the better or worse: it'd open up the map for some more Lockout/Ascension-style mid-range battles, but the only way to the top would be another Gravlift, located at the back of the building (similar to Atom).

We'll see how the first version plays out first, though.

Retro

So, i'm fairly confident I'm going to run out of pieces before I run out of budget (although I'm certainly sprinting towards both) on my latest Forge project. I've been wanting to do something vehicle-based while retaining generous on-foot portions.

My plan was to have two forts across from each other on the Blood Gulch canyon; one bridge connects the fortresses directly while a second would span further down the canyon and connect to the 'backyard' of each fort. This basically means there's a long 'back way' into the forts and a direct bridge way.

The bridges are formed from Braces and Struts so there are multiple levels. I'm quite proud of my first bridge which boasts FOUR pathways (two foot, one warthog and one mongoose) with fairly different access points.

I'm not sure there's gonna be enough pieces to make the second bridge, and I haven't laid out the second fort. I'm actually thinking my current bridge is too complex.

Ah well, I may dump some spawn points and CTF materials in there and sneak it into testing tomorrow just for shits and giggles.

Retro said:
So, i'm fairly confident I'm going to run out of pieces before I run out of budget (although I'm certainly sprinting towards both) on my latest Forge project. I've been wanting to do something vehicle-based while retaining generous on-foot portions.

My plan was to have two forts across from each other on the Blood Gulch canyon; one bridge connects the fortresses directly while a second would span further down the canyon and connect to the 'backyard' of each fort. This basically means there's a long 'back way' into the forts and a direct bridge way.

The bridges are formed from Braces and Struts so there are multiple levels. I'm quite proud of my first bridge which boasts FOUR pathways (two foot, one warthog and one mongoose) with fairly different access points.

I'm not sure there's gonna be enough pieces to make the second bridge, and I haven't laid out the second fort. I'm actually thinking my current bridge is too complex.

Ah well, I may dump some spawn points and CTF materials in there and sneak it into testing tomorrow just for shits and giggles.
Might also want to watch out for framerate issues then. Using up a ton of your budget (especially when interlocking them) is a framerate nightmare.

Though you probably already know this: I'm just sayin'. :p

zumphry

Banned
Tomorrow's ForgeGAF customs lineup (so far, and in no particular order):

Trestle
Atrium (is there a new version that'll be up sik?)
Odyssey (ditto)
Moonpool
Sandy Bridge (maybe?)
Deluge
Reliance
Retro BTB Map (maybe?)
Aurora (setting stuff up for Invasion is fun.)

Any maps that I missed? And should there be any Kingdom/Crown of Flies games, or not since they're being looked at by the cartographers?

Oh, and to prove that my handwriting is like a crack addled monkey's:

6q89ml.jpg

nVpFxl.jpg

ZayneH said:
Is that map called 'Downpour'? (I honestly can't tell if it's the map name, or if it's supposed to be something else.) If so, it was this close to sharing that name with what is now known as Deluge. :p

Thank god for Thesaurus.com.

Striker

Zayne, Reliance has no soft or hard kill zones placed save a few places I had thought of as I was crafting. I doubt anybody would grief, but just sayin'. It only really affects people in Slayer, as kills matter. On top of that, I'll need to add those in sometime this week.

zumphry

Banned
Striker said:
Zayne, Reliance has no soft or hard kill zones placed save a few places I had thought of as I was crafting. I doubt anybody would grief, but just sayin'. It only really affects people in Slayer, as kills matter. On top of that, I'll need to add those in sometime this week.

Yeah, I was wondering if you could make Forge Customs or regular Customs. I don't think it'll be that bad.

Blue Ninja said:
Is that map called 'Downpour'? (I honestly can't tell if it's the map name, or if it's supposed to be something else.) If so, it was this close to sharing that name with what is now known as Deluge. :p

Thank god for Thesaurus.com.

Heh. I always use thesaurus.com for map names. :lol. And yeah, it's called Downpour.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ZayneH said:

Trestle
Odyssey (ditto)
Moonpool
Sandy Bridge (maybe?)
Deluge
Reliance
Retro BTB Map (maybe?)

Any maps that I missed? And should there be any Kingdom/Crown of Flies games, or not since they're being looked at by the cartographers?

6q89ml.jpg

nVpFxl.jpg

you can skip trestle. i havent updated it, and based on feedback i think i'll just move on

ZayneH said:

Trestle
Odyssey (ditto)
Moonpool
Sandy Bridge (maybe?)
Deluge
Reliance
Retro BTB Map (maybe?)

I will be borrowing a friend's 360 tomorrow, along with Reach, so I will probably edit Yeti Dome a little bit.. Hopefully in time for Customs if that's cool.

If not, maybe you guys can give Yeti Bay another shot?

zumphry

Banned
Already posted in the Reach thread but thanks again Ghal for helping me with Roost. Sandybridge looks great. Oh, and some name ideas for it: Monarch, Suzerain, & Sultan.

Now to spend the next 5 hours making Aurora have more than three respawn points and work in Invasion. CTF, Bomb, and Slayer can come later.

op_ivy said:
you can skip trestle. i havent updated it, and based on feedback i think i'll just move on

Alright. Does that include Truss as well? It's a great concept for a map. :[

-Yeti said:
I will be borrowing a friend's 360 tomorrow, along with Reach, so I will probably edit Yeti Dome a little bit.. Hopefully in time for Customs if that's cool.

If not, maybe you guys can give Yeti Bay another shot?

We always start with Yeti-Bay, so I forgot to include it in the list :p. Though, this time we won't be playing Scarves: Armor Lock Evolved (or the WIP Scarves III: Armor Lock's EMP Boogaloo) on it.

_______
ForgeGAF Customs - Tomorrow @ 3pm EST/ 8 GMT (...right?):

Yeti-Dome - FFA
Bereavement - Sky High
Deluge - FFA
Moonpool - CTF or FFA*
Atrium - Slayer
Sandybridge - Slayer or CTF*
Reliance - 1 Bomb or 1 Flag*
Odyssey - Slayer or CTF
Enforcer Factory - Slayer*
Roost - Slayer
Aurora - Invasion
_
Depending on map size:
Sik's New Map - ???

Also: Retro's BTB map, and Nokyard's Customs Only Map might be in, dunno at this time.

Any others that I missed or not yet posted?

*: Author's Choice or Haphazardly flying by the seat of our pants and choosing based on votes

Hey Zayne, I should be able to attend customs tonight, so I will bring a new version of Atrium and Odyssey with me. :) And who knows...maybe something even newer....

I'll have another version of Deluge ready for you guys to play: HBO Customs had some trouble with spawning yesterday, apparently. I fixed some geometry, opened up the top of the grav-lift structure and am now in the process of repairing spawns for team games. I'll make sure it's up in my File Share in a few hours. :)

Having 16 players on it at a time will put a bit of a strain on the spawning system, though. It's a small map, so initial spawns can't all be miles away from one another.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ZayneH said:
Alright. Does that include Truss as well? It's a great concept for a map. :[

yeah, they didnt receive the reception i was expecting, and honestly, revisions made to make it more gaf friendly would lose what i had intended for them.

my next maps may incorporate some of the better aspects of each, but i think i'm through exploring the twin bridge idea.

Retro

ZayneH said:
_______
ForgeGAF Customs - Tomorrow @ 3pm EST/ 8 GMT (...right?):

Moonpool - CTF or FFA*

Also: Retro's BTB map, and Nokyard's Customs Only Map might be in, dunno at this time.

If possible, before we get a full and we're waiting for more, maybe sneak Moonpool in early to test my CTF setup, then we can do FFA or Team Slayer later to test capacity and fun factor (since hopefully the slowdown issues are gone)

My little BTB Bridge experiment won't be anywhere near playable by tomorrow. I was insanely over-optimistic when I mentioned having it ready, since there's only one fort, half of one bridge, etc. I'm not even sure I'll finish it since I'm running out of pieces.

1-1.jpg

Why hello, Reclaimer, it is good to see you again. My scans indicate you have not suffered major bodily trauma since we last met: this is good. We need every able body we can get to get this station back operational.

Thanks to your improvements, we can now harvest double the amount of energy we previously could. This station is running smoother than ever. Your predecessor would be proud, Reclaimer.

The addition of an extra chamber is, in my humble opinion, a showcase of your tactical genius, Reclaimer. In the case of a possible Flood outbreak, defensible structures are a must.

Removing the obstructions from the top of this structure has increased this station's productivity. From atop this vantage point, flaws in effectiveness (and potential threats) can be seen and swiftly dealt with. Including two ways to reach the top of this structure has also proven to be beneficial.

Sudden clarity. The removal of your predecessor's cumbersome storage modules has made moving across the station a lot easier. As a side-effect, this has also made the central "Dance Floor", as your predecessor called it, a lot more exposed. Cross it at your own discretion, Reclaimer.

Though this new version of the Deluge station is in many ways an improvement over the old one, our work is nowhere near finished. I still need more feedback, so I can form this station into a shape my Creators would be proud of. As such, I expect you and your compatriots to follow the Information Protocol to the letter.

Oh, one more thing, Reclaimer. I have temporarily given you clearance to access the model of the previous version of this station, just in case you'd wish to make the comparison yourself. This clearance will only last for a limited time, however. The Library's protocols are strict in this regard.

Good luck, Reclaimer, and try to have fun.

Raide

I am guessing, if we make maps on the new DLC maps, everyone in the group has to have the DLC to play it right?

Raide

I am just working through my Fileshare to see what is worth keeping or what I should throw away.

Trapped is my main CTF map that I want to get tweaked enough that I am happy with it and move on.

If anyone has a moment, could you have a run around a few of my WIP maps.

Sanctum = Small arena style map, possibly 4v4 CTF. Currently has basic spawns. Still trying to figure out what to do with it.

Storm = Larger map I was trying to build around assault mode. Has basic spawns and weapons in. Map has an obvious base for defenders and also an area that attacker spawn from. Again, I don't know what to do with this one.

SWAT Arena = A very simple arena, built for SWAT. I had been playing Laser Tag a day or two before, so then I made this map. :D

I have a few other maps in my FS is you fancy checking them out. I have really been out of the Forging, so I need to get back into it and make something new. Any feedback is most welcome.

Thanks All.

NOKYARD

ZayneH said:
Enforcer Factory - Slayer*

and Nokyard's Customs Only Map might be in
The final version of Enforcer Factory will be ready to go. Maybe try one of the less used variants like Stockpile.

The new map is called Symm Sixty Six (spawns for Headhunter only at the moment). Like ZayneH's doodle of Downpour, this is my 'doodle' map. I made the map while i was thinking about a completely different type of map based within the same walls. I wanted to test some structural concepts i had been pondering for upcoming maps and decided to squeeze them all into one map.

An extremely simple sniper tower (not unlike The Pit) using only 6 items, a highway system which frames the map (Rat's Nest), the attackers's flag area from Turf, a submerged base with a glass roof, and a courtyard/front door area for bases which are are extremely close together. All pics. If you play this please note: The highway off ramps have lane markers, blue marker leads to blue base.

Sexy curves by NOKYARD, on Flickr

zumphry

Banned
ForgeGAF Customs: Starting in 10-20 min (need to quickly set up my invasion map, sorry :s)

Yeti-Dome - FFA
Deluge - FFA
Bereavement - Sky High
Moonpool - CTF
Bikini Atoll - Gaffball
Olympus - Slayer
Trapped - CTF
Enforcer Factory - Stockpile
Sandybridge - Slayer or CTF
Reliance - 1 Bomb or 1 Flag
Odyssey - Slayer or CTF
Sym Sixty-Six - ???
Shoopy - ???
Roost - Slayer
Aurora - Invasion

ZayneH said:
ForgeGAF Customs: Starting in 10-20 min (need to quickly set up my invasion map, sorry :s)

Yeti-Dome - FFA
Deluge - FFA
Bereavement - Sky High
Moonpool - CTF
Bikini Atoll - Gaffball
Olympus - Slayer
Trapped - CTF
Enforcer Factory - Stockpile
Sandybridge - Slayer or CTF
Reliance - 1 Bomb or 1 Flag
Sym Sixty-Six - ???
Shoopy - ???
Roost - Slayer
Aurora - Invasion

Don't forget Odyssey!! New version in my fileshare. :D I'm still at my in-laws, but I'll try and get on when I'm back.

Hey You

GG Games guys. Had fun.

I left because I promised my sis that I would play some MM with her.

See you all next weekend (hopefully).

zumphry

Banned
Sikamikanico said:
Don't forget Odyssey!! New version in my fileshare. :D I'm still at my in-laws, but I'll try and get on when I'm back.

I feel like such a jackass. I forgot to write down Odyssey on the piece of paper I look at when setting up the games AND I missed your message when you asked if there was room. Sorry. :[

Anyway, good games, and here's some films:

Yeti-Dome

Deluge

Shoopy

Symm Sixty-Six

Bereavement

Moonpool

Olympus

Trapped

Enforcer Factory

Bikini Atoll

Reliance

..and I have the Roost and (horrible) Aurora films. Hopefully should have my impressions up later tonight or tomorrow.

Dani said:
Don't be holding maps back from regular HaloGAF Customs! =)

I'm really looking forward to how Sandybridge will play (and seeing if it discos on the one beach side).

Yeah, good games, guys. Had a lot of fun, even when I was being brutally murdered.

Awesome-1.jpg

I'll try and have some impressions up tomorrow, if I can remember all the maps I played in.

zumphry

Banned
Well, I guess I'm going to do the impressions now because I'm bored and because I don't want to procrastinate like I did last time.

Yeti-Dome: Nokyard mentioned something ingame about two spots where you can get stuck, so I'm sure he'll elaborate on that. The only thing I noticed is that spawns can make you spawn in the middle of firefights or by a guy camping around. Though I don't know if that's because of how the spawning system is, with the size of the map affecting it even more.

Deluge: Getting it out of the way, it played a lot better than what Lookout ever did. Other than that, same issue with Yeti-Dome and really any other small map: spawns could spawn you in a fight or by a guy camping. Don't know if there's a way to fix that or not. Also, you need to add in more kill barriers at the bottom of the map.

Finally, the Hammer was way too powerful (but you already said you were going to replace and switch the weapons around).

Shoopy: The main issue with this is that the top grassy area was dominant, but everyone already commented on that, and you addressed that the next version would block that section off. I also felt like the middle walkway was kinda useless, since it didn't lead anywhere, and that the only area blue team could fight red team was at the one red structure in the corner. The problem with that, though, is that blue team was without cover at the bottom until we'd go up the ramps.

Symm Sixty-Six: Do I even have to comment on this? Really, I just hate headhunter, so I don't think I can say anything until spawns for other gametypes are set up.

Bereavement: I have to echo my statement from the last time we played this, and say that there needs to be ramps on the bottom of the ledges so that if you jetpack up beneath one you don't hit your head and die. Oh, and raise the kill ceiling higher so that the momentum from jetpacking to the top of the map doesn't mean a inevitable death.

Moonpool: Testing multiflag lead to the conclusion that one sided gametypes would be best for the map. As for how the bases (so red base, since that's the defending base in one sided gametypes) are set up, Red base is way too easy to defend. There's the two covered walkways which are grenade traps, and the bottom path which gets you closer to the ramp up to the flag stand. Someone (nokyard?) talked about how there's different ways to get to the flag, but they're basically all on the same plane. I'd maybe add a lift in the back of the bottom of the red base that lifts you up to the flag stand. Then, I'd cut out the inner window covers on the top walkway, so that grenades aren't so powerful and so that you don't have to dedicate yourself to that path.

Olympus: Jetpacking wasn't a problem like last time (other than the times I saw Nokyard on the pyramid pieces at the top of the bases), but it seemed like it was easier to camp the sniper towers with a shotgun/sniper combo. I dunno if it'd be possible to just put one shotgun on the map on one side of it and make it in a position where both teams could get it at the same time.

Other than that, it played really well.

Trapped: There's really only two big problems with Trapped: One, the entire map, but mostly the middle, was too open. That made warthogs have the ability to cause havok without any real way of taking them down. Two, how the top of the bases are set up are confusing. There's a lift to where the focus rifles are at, but you have to need a jetpack to get to the shade. Personally, I'd just block off the area with the shades completely and find a way to put a mancannon to the middle of the map, which would promote travel there. Though, there'd need to be cover there so that you wouldn't cannon yourself to a easy death.

Enforcer Factory: Personally, I didn't like where the stockpile areas were for each team. They were too easy to steal from (well, unless you dedicate your entire team to one like at the end), and the grid underneath them lead to flags sliding out of it. I'd move them to the far end of the base's walkway near each team's lift, or even in the lift dish.

Reliance: Other than the kill zones not being there, and not having even teams of correct sizes, it played pretty well. The attacking team could go along the left (from their base) path and sneak the bomb in by that way, or go in headlong. The middle wasn't too open, which lead to a few fun DMR fights. Though, I mostly lost those so..

One nitpick though, is that instead of using a capture plate for where the attackers plant the bomb, you used a flag stand. Most maps use the capture plate for assault, so you might want to switch the flag stand in for one.

And onto my maps:

Roost played really well for Slayer, but it seemed like once a team got in the lead, it was easy for them to keep it. The same teleporter and rock garden/strut art gallery complaints came up, which are already out (in thought) for Roost v3. Teleporters will be a tunnel leading to the window cover piece by the overshield, and the gardens will be further away from the window and will act more like cover like intended. Snipers were still on the map, mostly because I thought I took them out of v2.

I'm still debating if I should take out the circular ramp behind the base, or do what Ghaleon and Nokyard have suggested and push them in. If I take it out, I'll save myself two colosseum wall pieces, and a whole bunch of budget due to other block and wall pieces. BUT, then each team will have less area to spawn in (and I'll have less places to put flag/bomb away spawn areas at).

Aurora on the other hand was a disaster besides knowing that I know how to set up fireteam spawning zones. The problem with the map is that Montana really doesn't have that much flexibility when it comes to making a map there. When Aurora was still named Dawn, I had the attackers base pushed to the furthest end of the area, but trying to have drivable areas for vehicles ate up way too much of the budget, and right now I have only $400, and that's just with Invasion set up without any other gametypes and their weapons on the map.

As for phases, I think by pushing the attacker base back, there will be more space for the defending team to slow them down. Then, by putting the bomb points below and around the beam emitter base (like the first phases of Breakpoint, Spire, and Boneyard), the attackers will have a chance to actually plant it. Then from there I can see if the core -->bridge idea works, or if I'll have to push the capture plate towards Montana, or all the way back to the attacker base, OR even the bomb pickup point.

I think what I've learned so far from the Dawn and Aurora games will help me make a much better version of the idea, which to be honest, is one I've never really thought could work well.

Onto Roost v3, Aurora v2, and maybe a working Downpour...but to be honest I don't know what one I should focus on more. :/

All right, here's my opinion.

Deluge: it worked well, though Slayer DMR's is not the best gametype for it. I really built it with regular Slayer in mind. Somebody commented on "not picking up any weapons during the entire match", and honestly, I almost didn't pick up any either. That's not the fault of the map, but more the fault of the gametype.

Other than that, some extra kill barriers (the underside of the map is looking very red already) and switching around some weapons (and getting rid of the Hammer) should be pretty much it. I might increase the map size a bit, to accommodate more spawns. Then again, on a map like Lockout, you usually couldn't go long without finding someone out to kill you, either. Still, the spawns need work.

Shoopy: Let's just say I didn't really enjoy myself. It's an asymmetrical map, which I usually like, but here, it was too easy for the team that spawned on the top to dominate. Both access points forced the other team into a bottleneck, and there was no way to effectively force them down from their hiding hole. I doubt this is easy to fix, however.

Symm Sixty Six: What a confusing map. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing either. I liked the route that went around it, but the inside areas were very confusing to get around. My suggestion would be to get rid of the one-way shield barriers: that would open up the map a great deal already.

Olympus: Good map. The bases need some work, though. You'd get pinged by a player with a DMR, and the moment you went after him he'd hide himself behind one of the rocks near the corner, and become nigh invisible.

The rest of the map provided some nice sight lines with a lot of cover. I liked it.

Trapped: Good concept, could use a heap of work. The bases need a complete redesign, because when the top floor (which houses some powerful weaponry) is only accessible by people who selected the Jetpack loadout, that's an example of unthoughtful design. I'd also remove one of the Concussion rifles from each base.

The center of the map worked a lot better. A lot of effective ways to take cover (I spent a lot of time running from rock to rock). I liked that aspect of the map a lot.

Enforcer Factory: It has a lot of potential. Playing Stockpile on it wasn't particularly fun, though. It quickly devolved into a grenade-spamming fest at the flag capture points, though to be fair, this can be said of practically every stockpile game. I might have to play this one a bit more before I can effectively judge it.

Reliance: I had fun. The only nitpick I have is inside the base, where one particular slope really kept getting my ass kicked. Though this might have more to do with my incompetence than with your skills as a mapmaker.

Roost: I wasn't a big fan of this one. It was a big map, but not an open one. Having it divided into three sections didn't really do it for me: it took a long time to get used to it. Might need to play this one a few more times.

Bikini Atoll II: It was a Grifball map, and it was a good one. Though I may be biased, seeing as I won the game by scoring three times.

Aurora: The first phase was over too quickly, the second phase was too long. The defending team would hole up near their defense spots, and it'd become very hard for the Elites to break through it. The fact that the walk from the spawns back to the hot zone was a long one didn't help, either.

I really loved the look and feel of the map, though. The base had this amazing Halo 1 vibe to it, which I adored.

Marathon: This map is a bit of a question mark. On the one hand, I liked it, but on the other, I didn't. I'll need to play it a couple more times before I can actually feel confident in judging it.

First off, the filter at the beginning phase needs to go. It fails at creating a 'nighttime feel', and the transition to 'regular' view in the second phase is way too jarring.

The map really forced people into a lot of bottlenecks after each phase, which I didn't particularly like. The bridge after the first phase and the pass through the rocks after the second one: it was very easy to rack up kills (or get killed a lot of times) there.

Raide

Thanks for the Trapped feedback. To be honest, I made the bases on another map and then messed up that map, so I just remade them. I think I will have a rework the bases to make them a little more interesting. It took me a while to get the middle right, especially from a cover point of view. I guess I forgot about the important base parts.

Btw, do you like the ramps into the bases or should I rework the whole thing? The height differences on the map makes it really annoying to get things right.

Edit:

Made a few tweaks to Trapped. Basically took the weird top off the base and made it a nice platform to defend from. Weapons have also been tweaked + added another clip to grenade launcher in Purple base.

Trapped V2

Please let me know what you think. Hopefully heading in the right direction now.

MrBig

ZayneH said:
Shoopy: The main issue with this is that the top grassy area was dominant, but everyone already commented on that, and you addressed that the next version would block that section off. I also felt like the middle walkway was kinda useless, since it didn't lead anywhere, and that the only area blue team could fight red team was at the one red structure in the corner. The problem with that, though, is that blue team was without cover at the bottom until we'd go up the ramps.
I was in the middle of working on that walkway when I joined you guys, but the reason it's broken apart like that is so that people can now get from the first floor to there. You can now continue walking to red bridge from the blue bridge. Added a couple of Wizard style teleporters as well.

Blue Ninja said:
Shoopy: Let's just say I didn't really enjoy myself. It's an asymmetrical map, which I usually like, but here, it was too easy for the team that spawned on the top to dominate. Both access points forced the other team into a bottleneck, and there was no way to effectively force them down from their hiding hole. I doubt this is easy to fix, however.
I moved the red spawns back into the original big base, but I left that area in and removed the sightlines to the other base, and windowed off part of the walkway that blue was peppering us with DMRs from. If it's still a problem I'll just have to take it out completely.
Problem with that base is that it'd only be good for asymmetrical gametypes and that's why I tried having the base up top.
I didn't get to try it in custom's last night so I don't know how the changes affected it.

Good to see that people like bikini, I'll put it up on Grifball hub soon

Thanks for the feedback

I'll put up pics and a dl soon

MrBig

Here's shoopy (WIP name) for testing next weekend or whenever we can get a party together

shoopyoverview.jpg

Asymmetrical for One Bomb/Flag, and maybe slayer

redb.jpg

Frogblast the ventcore...

blueb.jpg

Offensive base

mid.jpg

You can get up from the ground to the bridge from a collapsed section next to red tele

tele1.jpg

tele2.jpg

Wizard style teleporters (represented by the blue glow) that let you switch sides of the middle area. Red side goes next to the back pathway to red base, blue is next to a path to the blue bridge

Download http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13618873&player=Mr Kwatz

Thanks for the feedback on Olympus guys - I watched the film Zayne, close game! :)

I'm not really sure what to do with the map overall. I can't really add anything, it plays okay, and its visually interesting. It just doesn't wow me is all. Not sure what to do with it.

On a different subject, I have a question.

I have an Invasion map I've been working on, currently codenamed Bespin.

It's massive. I really could use a co-forger to bounce ideas off, and keep my wild ambition in check. Any takers?

MrBig

Sikamikanico said:
Thanks for the feedback on Olympus guys - I watched the film Zayne, close game! :)

I'm not really sure what to do with the map overall. I can't really add anything, it plays okay, and its visually interesting. It just doesn't wow me is all. Not sure what to do with it.

On a different subject, I have a question.

I have an Invasion map I've been working on, currently codenamed Bespin.

It's massive. I really could use a co-forger to bounce ideas off, and keep my wild ambition in check. Any takers?
I got you bro

Striker

Thanks for the feedback on Reliance, guys.

I will hopefully set up the full-fort soft and hard kill zones this week, and then it should be set. That said, I see you guys used DMR starts in your game (just now got to watch the film; still got the 4th round to go; I enjoy going around seeing where certain people go, where they generally avoid, places they did not explore due to the gametype, etc.). I generally had in mind Pistol/AR starts which is why I had several DMR and a single Needle Rifle placements around the map. Little of others, but I was surprised not many, except Grifball Legend, whoever he is, grab the rockets in the center below the red rock tower. The human sniper got some action as well, but again, I think the gametype kind of didn't allow as much freedom as it would have for Slayer. Plus this was your first time playing it, so isn't anything to really harp on.

I have a human Sniper, Focus Rifle, Concussion Rifle, and Rockets spread out. They're the power weapons and then the Ghost, which got little used, as well. Most likely I will tinker a bit more with the weapons, especially if you feel the map is too large for something not DMR required.

NOKYARD

Hey You said:
Super Glad people liked it. I don't know if you have the latest version, just fixed the top kill barrier and some minor visual and other hiccups.
Got bored waiting for the Superbowl to start so i built you a map for the Sky High variant called Turbine. It was constructed from one of the corners of Symm Sixty Six. I found an extremely simple method for forming round surfaces, and placing items in an accurate circle, so this came together rather quickly.

2 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

3 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

6 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

5 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

4 by NOKYARD, on Flickr

reach_13652827_Full by NOKYARD, on Flickr

Top Bottom