• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Sikamikanico said:
I have a massive layout for a BTB map, and I'm thinking of running a competition to see what ForgeGAF can create...

Basically you download the basic template I have created, and then try to build a map out of it.

Anyone interested in something like that?
That could be pretty fun. I say go for it!

When I say I'm not going to be able to do something, I suddenly am able to do it. Very strange. The new Deluge is ready for a test drive. Changes are pretty minimal: I removed some of the cover-plates in the outlying corridors, I added a railing to the back area of the gravlift base and I tweaked some spawns. It'd be awesome if you could try it out, especially with the Community Slayer AR gametype. :)

It's not suited for 16 players, though: 8 is recommended, 12 is the absolute maximum.

MrBig

Current list for saturday's forgegaf games. Using same links that I used for last week since we didn't play anything also op_ivy you still need to join me some time to talk about truss.
Tomorrow at 3pm EST (-5GMT.) Anyone and and everyone is welcome to join us.

Yeti Dome 1.4 - FFA Oddball DMRs
Rock Garden - Multi Flag ARs
Sheol - Slayer ARs
Enforcer Factory - Multi Flag DMRs
Watershed.9 - Slayer DMRs | Multi Flag DMRs
Containment.2 - Classic Territories DMRs
Rigged - Slayer ARs
Lynched - Multi Flag DMRs
Truss.b Slayer DMRs | Flag DMRs
Abysuss - Slayer DMRs
Verith - Multi Flag ARs
Crossfire - Multi Flag DMRs
Deluge - Slayer ARs (starting game)
Reactor - SWAT | Slayer/Flag DMRs
Odyssey - Neutral Assault DMRs
Reliance - Asym Obj/Slayer DMRs/ARs

Byzantine - ???
Aquamatic - ???
Fusion - ???

Carrion - ???

Unordered. Just adding maps. Need new links to maps with '???.' Post a link to your map and what gametype you want it to be played on, and what starting weapon. I'm just going to be using the community variants for slayer from now on.

vhfive

Here's Reactor.

Would like to see SWAT on it (I want to stress the spawns a bit) and if you have time for a second slayer or flag.

I should be around tomorrow for ForgeGAF customs but might be a bit late.

New version of Odyssey

I'm pleased to say this one is currently submitted to Cartographers - these changes have been made to better the maps chances. It's also in the top bracket for HaloCharts BTB Tourney map competiton, so the more feedback from you guys the better!

I would recommend Neutral Assault or Multiflag CTF, and definitely have 16 people. :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
MrBig said:
Current list for saturday's forgegaf games. Using same links that I used for last week since we didn't play anything also op_ivy you still need to join me some time to talk about truss.

i hoped on when i got home and you and some peeps were playing jenga... it can be difficult for me to meet up, especially when times are vague, so maybe (if you dont mind) you could fly around truss.b in forge and jot down some notes? otherwise i'll hold off to hear from people from ForgeGAF saturday - which i'll be trying to make!

O D I N

Guesstimation as towards what time (central?) forge customs start tomorrow? I'd like to join in if possible (I work at 3pm central, so I'd have until 2).

Raide

Verith Should be sorted now, set for Team Slayer currently, mainly for testing. Not sure if it would suit other gametypes because of size.

Sheol Tweaked a bit, mainly to make the special island not so overpowered. :D Also might be a little small for objective stuff. CTF would be mad. Seems to suit 4v4.

Yeti Dome 1.4 is live!

Pretty much the only new features that I added are CTF and Oddball support. Other things include minor tweaks. The most notable are some added rocks around the edges so players don't get stuck.

For tomorrow's Customs, I suggest we play Oddball instead of CTF.. or both if you guys want. I'd imagine Oddball will be all sorts of crazy. :)

Raide

-Yeti said:
Yeti Dome 1.4 is live!

Pretty much the only new features that I added are CTF and Oddball support. Other things include minor tweaks. The most notable are some added rocks around the edges so players don't get stuck.

For tomorrow's Customs, I suggest we play Oddball instead of CTF.. or both if you guys want. I'd imagine Oddball will be all sorts of crazy. :)

Would love to play Infection/Safe Havens in Yeti Dome. :D I think it works well for frantic gametypes.

Striker

The latest version of Reliance is here.

Any following gametype is doable.

One Bomb
One Flag
Territories
Team Slayer DMR
Team Slayer

I am ok with AR/Pistol start but I know before one said a DMR is preferred, but perhaps that's mainly for Slayer. Either way won't matter too big.

GhaleonEB

So, this will be the first time I've ever put a map in file share before it's done. And I'm actually kinda nervous about that, so it's going to come with some caveats. But you guys do a great job play testing and generating feedback, so I'd love to hear what you have to say.

First, some updates on what's changed from the last version of Crossfire.

The towers proved too dominating. So, I have lowered them somewhat, making the ramps to them shorter and making it so they have a less advantageous view. I also trimmed the cover they had on one corner. And most importantly (I think), I removed the spawns that were up there. No one will spawn into the power position, you have to earn it. Also, from the center hub you can sprint and jump directly onto the walkway to get up behind the tower (or vice versa), here:

reach_15265687_Full.jpg

I blocked in the space between the bridges and the island with rocks, as players were getting stuck there.

reach_15265723_Full.jpg

I built up some cover around the center. There's a plasma grenade on each platform.

reach_15265692_Full.jpg

There's a turret on the bridge between the towers, facing the beach. A stone spire prevents the turret from firing into the teleporter.

reach_15265674_Full.jpg

The new overview, from the opposite side I usually take them.

reach_15265691_Full.jpg

It is an 8v8 BTB map.

Currently configured for: Slayer, CTF, Neutral Assault. (Multi-bomb works, but I do not yet have the mode-specific spawn influencing zones in yet.)

Now, the caveats:

• Only supports two teams currently.
  • Has not been jetpack-proofed. I have several areas in mind to block off, but they're not done yet.
  • Around the edges and on the island, several soft kill barriers need to be added. If you go roaming, you'll find places they're needed. Nokyard would destroy this map.
  • There are several places, mostly involving rocks, that I'm not done tweaking.
  • Do not play with the 'classic settings' on it. The custom gravity settings will get you killed if you try to use the man cannons.

One design note:

The center is intentionally somewhat open. I don't want to encourage players to hold it for long. It's more a risk/reward route with some power weapons and a fast way to either base at the cost of visibility. The question I have now is whether I have the balance right.

With all that said, here is the file set. If you get a chance to slot it in, I'd appreciate it. Be kind. :)

NOKYARD

This is a question for everybody here.

Is your map ready for Matchmaking?

By that i mean, do you believe your map is complete and ready to deploy in either the Community 4v4 Slayer, or Community BTB playlists.

If so, please PM me and i will keep an eye out for your map tomorrow. I am only doing this to differentiate the finished maps from the WIP maps and i don't want to keep asking the same question during the test.

On a related note: Submission deadline for the Community BTB playlist is (i'm guessing) around a month away. There is no need to rush your map but, the sooner we start testing, the sooner we can polish and submit it.

NOKYARD said:

By that i mean, do you believe your map is complete and ready to deploy in either the Community 4v4 Slayer, or Community BTB playlists.

If so, please PM me and i will keep an eye out for your map tomorrow. I am only doing this to differentiate the finished maps from the WIP maps and i don't want to keep asking the same question during the test.

On a related note: Submission deadline for the Community BTB playlist is (i'm guessing) around a month away. There is no need to rush your map but, the sooner we start testing, the sooner we can polish and submit it.

Oh, that's cool. That really makes me want to work more on Yeti Bay so I can submit it for the BTB playlist.

I would consider submitting Yeti Dome, but it may be too small for even 4v4. :(

O D I N

MrBig said:
Found this great resource over at forgehub for calculating object angles.
http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-...110512-rotation-forge-useful-information.html

Scroll down and download the excel spreadsheet. In it all you have to do is put in the values you want it to have and it will automatically translate that into Forge y/p/r. Read the post for more information, examples, and how it works.
It can also calculate reflections, and rotations around a point.

That's really helpful. Thanks for the share. I'll try giving forge another go.

I feel like I have decent ideas, and then they get squashed once I try applying them.

NOKYARD said:

Odyssey is, but I think it's already been submitted to CC.

I am working on two other BTB maps, but im dry on inspiration. ForgeGAF ASSEMBLE!

O D I N

Sikamikanico said:
Odyssey is, but I think it's already been submitted to CC.

I am working on two other BTB maps, but im dry on inspiration. ForgeGAF ASSEMBLE!

First off, cheers on your 'Member' status.

Secondly, if you're looking for a hand with anything, hit me up. Maybe we can get some brain power flowing, come up with something.

Karl2177

Sikamikanico said:
Okay, so the two "arenas" I've made are these - fill free to grab from my fileshare and build some cool shit.

Montana BTB:

Or you can try the [URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15300093&player=Sikamikanico"]Alaska Arena[/URL]
[IMG]

I'm sure someone will be able to come up with something pretty cool.[/QUOTE]
I'll have my hand at one of these.

Also, I posted a page back about an issue I was having with Slayer spawns on a mirror symmetric map. Currently, the best thing I can compare it to is JoeSki's Pivotal, which accompanied both asymmetric and symmetric gameplay. I have it set up for symmetric and asymmetric CTF, but I want Slayer to spawn in the two symmetric bases. The thing is Slayer is considered an asymmetric gametype. Any ideas on how to make that work? Here's a picture of the map with the weapon spawns on it.
[img]http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo181/Karl2177/reach_7789876_Fullweapon-1.jpg

MrBig

You can label spawn points to only appear in certain gametypes. Label it to slayer and set it to gametype specific.

Can I get a check in of whoevers going to be on for the forgegaf games? Participation has been weak lately and we'll need at least 5v5.

Karl2177

MrBig said:
You can label spawn points to only appear in certain gametypes. Label it to slayer and set it to gametype specific.
Aight, I've done that now, and it is entirely random as to what base they will spawn at. I think that is because I have a different set of spawns for asymmetric CTF and Assault, but you'd think that the Slayer tag would overwrite that.

I'm thinking my best option would be to create a separate version of the map for Slayer.

op_ivy

Sikamikanico said:
I should be around today/tonight. I hope. All depends on the wife really. Let's hope she falls asleep or something.

lol - i feel for you (and am in the same boat!)

MrBig

we have one slot

Nice games guys. I'll put up crits tonight/tomorrow if I'm not busy and I'll put up films as they are requested. I did save them this time.

Raide

Due to the suggestions on Sheol, I have tweaked it and added access from the back of the map to the lower levels. Also added are timed man-cannons so players can get to the base from the new lower levels.

Sheol Map

op_ivy

really want to hear thoughts on truss. the sniper and sniper platform were added on whim and i'm not sure i'm at all confident they belong - so give me feedback on this at the very least please!

NOKYARD

op_ivy said:
really want to hear thoughts on truss. the sniper and sniper platform were added on whim and i'm not sure i'm at all confident they belong - so give me feedback on this at the very least please!
Game ended before i could see the whole map. Loved the new sniper platform.

I did see several spots with severe frame rate issues. Likely due to the Lights.

The mancanon landing platforms are no longer (or never were?) symmetrical. From one direction they are open, from the other closed. I realize they are radially symmetrical but one of the charms of your map is it's 4-way symmetry. Possibly, turn them 45 degrees.

One severe bump on each side while walking into the base.

(The opinion part) Curious as to why you lowered the map. I thought you were going to turn it to 90 degrees in the same location. On the old version you could use the surrounding terrain for orientation, now it's just another wet map where it is hard to determine if a jump is safe. Maybe it's just that i have a great fear of heights, except when i am above water, that this version does not seem as exciting. (i get shakey on the 5th rung of a ladder but can walk the bottom trusses of a railroad bridge over a river)

op_ivy

NOKYARD said:
Game ended before i could see the whole map. Loved the new sniper platform.

I did see several spots with severe frame rate issues. Likely due to the Lights.

i'll remove the lights. they arent really needed. glad you liked the sniper platform and snipers did not dominate.

The mancanon landing platforms are no longer (or never were?) symmetrical. From one direction they are open, from the other closed. I realize they are radially symmetrical but one of the charms of your map is it's 4-way symmetry. Possibly, turn them 45 degrees.

huh? i think they are the same as before... but i'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. elaborate please.

One severe bump on each side while walking into the base.

will fix.

(The opinion part) Curious as to why you lowered the map. I thought you were going to turn it to 90 degrees in the same location. On the old version you could use the surrounding terrain for orientation, now it's just another wet map where it is hard to determine if a jump is safe. Maybe it's just that i have a great fear of heights, except when i am above water, that this version does not seem as exciting. (i get shakey on the 5th rung of a ladder but can walk the bottom trusses of a railroad bridge over a river)

map orientation should still be easy, as one bridge side is facing cliffs, the other is open water. in fact, i moved it so it would be easier to orientate yourself. put it over water just for the hell of it. is it possible the waves over the lower bridge are contributing to frame rate issues?

thanks, as always, for the impressions.

MrBig said:
we have one slot

Nice games guys. I'll put up crits tonight/tomorrow if I'm not busy and I'll put up films as they are requested. I did save them this time.

Those were some really fun games. Did you guys ever get to playing Collusion BETA?

I had to leave for work, so if you are putting up films I'll definitly want to see how things went.

MrBig

SomeOneInaHat said:
Those were some really fun games. Did you guys ever get to playing Collusion BETA?

I had to leave for work, so if you are putting up films I'll definitly want to see how things went.
Sorry I forgot to put it up since it wasn't on the list and then I had to get off after I let someone else test their map.

MrBig said:
Sorry I forgot to put it up since it wasn't on the list and then I had to get off after I let someone else test their map.
Oh well, I guess I'll scrounge (spelling?) together 7 or 9 of my friends for test game.

It'll be the 87th test for the map... It's gone through some changes.

I'll have it set up for all kinds of objective goodness by next Saturday: King, Flag, Oddball, and Bro will be the main focus.

Update:

Put Collusion up during some big customs.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=530696733&player=SomeOneInaHat

People are loving it already!

NOKYARD

op_ivy said:
huh? i think they are the same as before... but i'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. elaborate please.
Open
Closed

If you drop in from one side a player can be hiding behind the wall. If you drop in from the other side he is open. This would be a problem in certain variants, including Multi Team where Orange and Green teams would be at a disadvantage. I'm only nitpicking because this is the only issue keeping this map from being 4-way symmetrical.

Possible fixes:
Symmetric A
Symmetric B

op_ivy said:
is it possible the waves over the lower bridge are contributing to frame rate issues?
It may be possible, but more than likely it's the light. The good news is that waves don't show in split screen.

op_ivy

NOKYARD said:
Open
Closed

If you drop in from one side a player can be hiding behind the wall. If you drop in from the other side he is open. This would be a problem in certain variants, including Multi Team where Orange and Green teams would be at a disadvantage. I'm only nitpicking because this is the only issue keeping this map from being 4-way symmetrical.

Possible fixes:
Symmetric A
Symmetric B

it has always been that way... and the other bridge is the opposite. dunno how this reflects on the 4 way symmetrical, but it should be fine for 2-way games. personally, i'm happy the way it is, unless you have a strong argument against it (4 team isnt strong enough IMO --- unless that is a point keeping it from community matchmaking).

to clarify, your "open" side is closed on the other bridge, and the "closed" side is open on the other bridge.

It may be possible, but more than likely it's the light. The good news is that waves don't show in split screen.

they don't huh. ill remove the lights regardless. i personally, prefer the new low bridge layout and rocket spawn platform area and would hate to have to change it :)

---

did you guys play slayer or objective? i'd like to submit this to the cartographers, so any other make or break points (from anyone) i'd like to hear

Gui_PT

NOKYARD said:
16 player SWAT. It was over in 3 minutes.

I had no idea we were playing Swat for a while.

I thought someone had added a sniper to that map because I was constantly getting killed from the other side of the map with 1 shot :lol

op_ivy

Gui_PT said:
I had no idea we were playing Swat for a while.

I thought someone had added a sniper to that map because I was constantly getting killed from the other side of the map with 1 shot :lol

yeahhhh, its not a map designed for swat :p

that had to be painful.

MrBig

op_ivy said:
yeahhhh, its not a map designed for swat :p

that had to be painful.
I'm pretty sure we played flag bro. That or Community Slayer. Reactor was the only SWAT game.
Quite a few spots with Z-fighting. The lights were my biggest gripes but you got those. You didn't add killzones in yet right? when you do make sure you don't hit them while going up this lifts like in the old truss. makes objectives reset. map orientation needs work. The forgeworld geometry is no obvious enough. make it pretty and shit.

Top Bottom