• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

FourDoor

GhaleonEB said:
I got Poppin' and Lockin' last night, using Armor Lock for the first time (I roll exclusively with Sprint in multiplayer). I basically wandered around Hemorrhage waiting for a Ghost to charge me. When one did, I locked, and it thumped into me, taking minor damage, and glanced off to the side. Curses.

And then the genius turns around and charges again, immediately. I lock and he blows up, Achievement unlocked. I had been putting that one off because I expected to feel like an asshole getting it (aka, someone who uses armor lock), but this guy kinda earned it.

Noooooooo Ghaleon!!! That's the Halo achievement badge of shame! How could you?!?!?! LOL

Louis Wu said:
I don't play with enough friends to get You Ate All the Chips. And I NEVER use Armor Lock, so Poppin' and Lockin' is gonna be tough. :(

I also haven't been able to get a Rocket Race game (it gets voted down every time it comes up), so I'm not sure if I'll ever get Offensive Driver.

Cross Mappin' I got the first time I actually TRIED for it (which wasn't until a couple of weeks ago :) ). I just went up on the Red ledge, and tried pinging people in front of Blue base. Eventually, one of them died, and the achievement unlocked.

Totally Worth It, as several others have said, comes easiest when you're not looking for it. Just play chaotic games (Multi Team!), and throw lots of grenades. :)
You can always get a few people together for 'You Ate All the Chips', if you really want. I almost never got any stockpile games, and it usually got screwed up somehow if we did. So I got a few HBO people together, and we had a friendly game of scoring flags and stabbing each other in the back.

ElRenoRaven

Blue Ninja said:
You can always get a few people together for 'You Ate All the Chips', if you really want. I almost never got any stockpile games, and it usually got screwed up somehow if we did. So I got a few HBO people together, and we had a friendly game of scoring flags and stabbing each other in the back.

Hell I'd always help anyone too. Again I have to post more about my status because I just got that one too. Only totally worth it to go. However I'm always up to help people if they need any of them.

Letters said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25403207&postcount=649

and holy crap at this bloodbath
http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=418761

I guess animated smileys of any kind are banned now?

Oh wow, thats really is a bloodbath.

It really wasnt his fualt, but I find it hilarious how AlienShogun made a post that got smileys killed off, and then a day or so later made a thread that killed off a bunch of gaffers, again its not his fualt at all, but its such a streak of bad luck.

I feel sorry for all those Gaffers, getting banned like that kind of sucks, I guess most of them where just pushing it with obnoxious smileys, but others hadnt been so bad I didnt think.

As for the DLC achievments, I hate to say it, but for my own sanity I boosted some of them as soon as possible, having the mindset that I have to play to earn a double kill from the grave, or use armour lock makes the game less fun for not only me, but everyone.

That said I got the armour lock achievment legit lol.

Louis Wu

bobs99 ... said:
It really wasnt his fualt, but I find it hilarious how AlienShogun made a post that got smileys killed off, and then a day or so later made a thread that killed off a bunch of gaffers, again its not his fualt at all, but its such a streak of bad luck.
"Not his fault"? "A streak of bad luck"?

Seriously?

He did something that pissed off an admin - an admin who is KNOWN to be pretty tight on second chances. Then, instead of actually learning from the responses he got, he created an animated gif ridiculing that admin, and called him out for his 'overreaction' in multiple threads.

How the FUCK is that "not his fault"?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:

Seriously?

He did something that pissed off an admin - an admin who is KNOWN to be pretty tight on second chances. Then, instead of actually learning from the responses he got, he created an animated gif ridiculing that admin, and called him out for his 'overreaction' in multiple threads.

And his performnace in the NPD thread was basically begging to get the boot. Read from the linked post forward....I saw it happening, and saw the train wreak coming. He just sped it up.

You don't go around insulting admins and flaunting the policy, especially the guy that (literally) owns and runs the place. Like you said, that's not bad luck.

Dug

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Holy shit at the sheer number of people banned in that thread..
You should have seen the thread where this one guy said that donkey kong country on the NES was awful. A lot of people were banned(mostly because people were disagreeing with him without any explanation). I counted and there had to be at least 15 people banned from that thread.

Louis Wu said:

Seriously?

Oh woah I missed that.

I simply meant that it wasnt his fualt that smileys as a whole got banned, a lot of people gave him flak for that, but its clear that he was just 'the straw that broke the camels back' in terms of that. From what I read it seems like the Mods have been annoyed by the overuse of them for a while - especially in a condencending manner.

I also meant that it wasnt his fualt a bunch of gaffers got banned in that second thread, but its just comedic that he sort of not only got smileys banned, but a day later got a bunch of gaffers banned. Thats what I meant by a streak of bad luck, for some of those posters thats all it was. Most where going overboard with the annoying smileys and did deserve the bannings though.

I feel silly saying this, but I didnt see any of the provocative stuff directly from Shogun (suprisingly!), that said I was simply skim reading, ive had a busy day lol. I will be honest im not suprised that he would do that, but I simply didnt spot it.

I was just pointing out how comedic it is that he is always going to be associated with those 2 scenarios, when really he wasnt the only one to blame

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
And his performnace in the NPD thread was basically begging to get the boot. Read from the linked post forward....I saw it happening, and saw the train wreak coming. He just sped it up.

You don't go around insulting admins and flaunting the policy, especially the guy that (literally) owns and runs the place. Like you said, that's not bad luck.

Exactly. He seems to have went out of his way to earn the banning. Hopefully he'll get another chance after awhile and he'll come back and be a bit calmer.

Louis Wu said:

Seriously?

Well it was a bit of personal bias. Basically admins shouldn't even have accounts or personas to be attacked and should only be involved with enforcing actual written rules. If they want to post here they can do that on their own but should not get any special permission.

Of course thats how it should work...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dug said:
You should have seen the thread where this one guy said that donkey kong country on the NES was awful. A lot of people were banned(mostly because people were disagreeing with him without any explanation). I counted and there had to be at least 15 people banned from that thread.
SMH. I honestly think everyone that posts an opinion without backing it up like "this shit suxx" deserves to be banned (or at least punished or something) anyways for basically contributing to the fall of intelligent discussion and inciting arguments and flame wars.

Happens everywhere, even on HaloGAF on a blue moon.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
xxjuicesxx said:
Basically admins shouldn't even have accounts or personas to be attacked and should only be involved with enforcing actual written rules. If they want to post here they can do that on their own but should not get any special permission.

Of course thats how it should work...

Surprise me and tell me you are talking from experience running and being involved in the admin of several online communities, please!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TacticalFox88 said:
We're never getting the smiley back. Next it's images....
Let's not act like this has become all totalitarian or something.

Next up, according to what I've gotten out of mods' posts is images appearing in quoted posts (deserves to go anyways, I agree wholeheartedly with this), and probably umad.jpg if people keep overusing it, but I still think it's hilarious, and it's posted less frequently now anyways.

enzo_gt said:
Let's not act like this has become all totalitarian or something.

Next up, according to what I've gotten out of mods' posts is images appearing in quoted posts (deserves to go anyways, I agree wholeheartedly with this), and probably umad.jpg if people keep overusing it, but I still think it's hilarious, and it's posted less frequently now anyways.
I think if a person's post has three or more images, when it's quoted it AUTOMATICALLY gets turned into the links. Clickable? Up to them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TacticalFox88 said:
I think if a person's post has three or more images, when it's quoted it AUTOMATICALLY gets turned into the links. Clickable? Up to them.
Or all links. Currently that's not the case and only on MobileGAF is that an option while browsing.

Should be like that anyways, but as evidenced by the women threads in OT, people don't seem to have a problem quoting entire image posts regardless of how many images there are in there, so we'd still get a ton of duped images in parts.

MrBig

enzo_gt said:
Or all links. Currently that's not the case and only on MobileGAF is that an option while browsing.

Should be like that anyways, but as evidenced by the women threads in OT, people don't seem to have a problem quoting entire image posts regardless of how many images there are in there, so we'd still get a ton of duped images in parts.
I don't think the women threads are actually seen as a part of gaf.

Hey You

urk said:
If there are gaffers in the group, and you are posting on the gaf, then...you know what, never mind.
What I mean is.

Lets say those representing Gaf/X community doesn't like a map, then the creator must go and join other websites/communities. Repeat if the next community doesn't like it or only wants to cater to those who kiss their asses.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hey You said:
What I mean is.

Lets say those representing Gaf doesn't like a map, then the creator must go and join other websites/communities. Repeat if the next community doesn't like it or only wants to cater to those who kiss their asses.

A bad map is bad map, no matter how many people you show it to. Whilst some aspects of a map can be subjective, other areas, specifically the technical side, are not.

No amount of arse loving will make a horrid map good.

I played some Halo for the first time in over a month.

It was pretty fun!

Except that in my first game, a 6v6 Territories game turned into a 2v3 game with four black screens along the way. And when we lost narrowly despite being two against their three (and finishing with positive k/d while they finished negative), they shot our corpses and stuff.

Cool.

Gui_PT

Shake Appeal said:
I played some Halo for the first time in over a month.

It was pretty fun!

Except that in my first game, a 6v6 Territories game turned into a 2v3 game with four black screens along the way. And when we lost narrowly despite being two against their three (and finishing with positive k/d while they finished negative), they shot our corpses and stuff.

Cool.

The true Halo experience.

Dani said:
A bad map is bad map, no matter how many people you show it to. Whilst some aspects of a map can be subjective, other areas, specifically the technical side, are not.

I agree. I wouldn't worry too much about bias against creators as a reason for a map not to make it to Matchmaking. Apparently everyone at Bungie mocks Carney and The Cage still made it in so, again, don't worry about it.

Any additional words RE: customs tonight?

kylej

Banned
Dani said:

Similarly a bad map editor is a bad map editor, no matter whose hands it's in.

kylej said:
Similarly a bad map editor is a bad map editor, no matter whose hands it's in.

To be fair, short of Far Crys Map Editor I havent seen anything relevant thats better, Halo's forge has a nice lego sort of quality to it, which makes it a bit limited, but also quite fun, you can just sort of work with the blocks provided.

Some people have made amazing things out of it, so while its not brilliant, I wouldnt call it too basic either.

Magni

Have we ever had any official answer as to why shields recharge while in Armor Lock? I though this wasn't supposed to happen?

MagniHarvald said:
Have we ever had any official answer as to why shields recharge while in Armor Lock? I though this wasn't supposed to happen?
Really? I don't remember seeing that, but its not a bad idea at all.

I'd like to know why sometimes, when I melee a player *I* lose my shields as well. It doesn't always happen, but happens often enough that somebody can just turn around after I hit them and kill me with one smack.

Magni

NullPointer said:

I'd like to know why sometimes, when I melee a player *I* lose my shields as well. It doesn't always happen, but happens often enough that somebody can just turn around after I hit them and kill me with one smack.

I thought I'd seen one of the Bungie guys post that during the beta, but I could be wrong. Just awful PP-ing a guy, having him go in AL and come back out full shields, rinse, repeat ><

Apath

NullPointer said:

I've meleed people to death whom were blatantly in armor lock.

MIMIC

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I got Poppin' and Lockin' last night, using Armor Lock for the first time (I roll exclusively with Sprint in multiplayer). I basically wandered around Hemorrhage waiting for a Ghost to charge me. When one did, I locked, and it thumped into me, taking minor damage, and glanced off to the side. Curses.

And then the genius turns around and charges again, immediately. I lock and he blows up, Achievement unlocked. I had been putting that one off because I expected to feel like an asshole getting it (aka, someone who uses armor lock), but this guy kinda earned it.

Every time I used armor lock to get that achievement yesterday, the ghost/warthog/mongoose ALWAYS just used me as a damn ramp when I would otherwise be splattered. It was so frustrating; apparently, I was locking too early and gave the driver a chance to slow down.

And then while having armlock enabled, I would use it strategically....since I already had it. Watching a teammate come to my rescue when I should have died made me feel so dirty. lol

MagniHarvald said:

This is key stuff. If you can not get shot for like one second before having to armor lock by the time you are out of a full armor lock you will start regaining shields and this makes it so you are no longer one shot...which is really nice for escaping.

This post brought to you by an armor lock hero.

Toddler

How did this not win?

Dotglasses.jpg

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I got Poppin' and Lockin' last night, using Armor Lock for the first time (I roll exclusively with Sprint in multiplayer). I basically wandered around Hemorrhage waiting for a Ghost to charge me.

Exactly the same for me, except on Breakpoint. Then I think I jumped off the edge or grenaded myself so I could get back to Sprint.

GhaleonEB said:

So did he get perma'd?

Btw, if you're on later tonight Ghal, I'll help you with those achievements.

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm of the opinion that this one should've won >_> I had this kind of idea when I was drawing mine, except that all I was drawing was her face. Oh well, this one's better :]

auntie-dot.jpg

zumphry

Banned
Sai-kun said:
I'm of the opinion that this one should've won >_> I had this kind of idea when I was drawing mine, except that all I was drawing was her face. Oh well, this one's better :]

Marty-Dot should've won because he's the audio guy and so yeah.

Toddler

I always envisioned an old schoolmarm reading you Intel from a book, wearing glasses, one of those poofy 19th century Victorian dresses, and a large hat or bonnet.... but the entry I quoted above is heads and shoulders over all the other entries. The quality of work and the use of Noble Team's symbol is epic.

feel

I thought my Dot had a good chance of getting featured in the crap section.. that darn urk hates me. (ok, insulting him in the email, probably not my best move)

Toddler

Letters said:
I thought my Dot had a good chance of getting featured in the crap section.. that darn urk hates me. (ok, insulting him in the email, probably not my best move)
Have you posted it already? I wanna see it!

Top Bottom