• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Gui_PT

If I kill him while he's lunging, he hasn't hit me yet, has he?

It makes no sense. If he died before he hit me, the sword wouldn't magically keep going towards me with the same strength and speed it had before the zombie died ending up killing me.

Gui_PT said:

It makes no sense. If he died before he hit me, the sword wouldn't magically keep going towards me with the same strength and speed it had before the zombie died ending up killing me.

Oh ok, I thought perhaps it was right as he reached you. Could have been a slight latency issue with where he was really located.

Gui_PT

Squall ASF said:
Oh ok, I thought perhaps it was right as he reached you. Could have been a slight latency issue with where he was really located.

Naw, in every situation both of us were green bar and the guy was quite far away. Yet he gets the kill.

Hey You

Gui_PT said:
Naw, in every situation both of us were green bar and the guy was quite far away. Yet he gets the kill.
Yeah its a glitch, Jeremiah posted a few months back that Bungie was aware. Nothing since.

Gui_PT said:

Yeah this happens to me alot. It used to lead to me getting a Betrayal alot of the time up until recently, don't know if they fixed that or it's just stopped happening as much.

So dumb though, getting a betrayal because I got turned into a zombie as I killed the dude.

Gui_PT

Squall ASF said:
So, jury is out on whether the turrets on the Phantoms count as killing a vehicle? Any FF champs not at work that can verify?

They don't count. Just do BeachHead or Overlook. But BeachHead is better, you'll get Wraiths AND Ghosts. And if you die right as the vehicle explodes, it doesn't count (for some reason) so be careful.

randomlyrossy said:
Yeah this happens to me alot. It used to lead to me getting a Betrayal alot of the time up until recently, don't know if they fixed that or it's just stopped happening as much.

So dumb though, getting a betrayal because I got turned into a zombie as I killed the dude.

Happened to me for the first time yesterday.

Hey You

Posted yet?

New Halo Reach DLC coming "very soon":

FPS fans never have long to wait for their next new play thing. Especially not with Activision and Microsoft taking it in turn to release new map packs for Call of Duty and Halo. Despite the Black Ops First Strike map pack having been out for only a couple of days, Major Nelson has stated that a new Halo add-on will be released "very soon".

The statement comes from a recent Inside Xbox video in which the Major discusses the best games of 2010. Casually mentioning a new add-on for Halo: Reach coming in the near future. No other details or specific time frame. Just "very soon".

We suspect Microsoft's savvy enough to wait for the dust to settle from the Call of Duty: Black Ops First Strike map pack before they go announcing anything concrete. Sounds like we could be hearing something within weeks, though.

I would love to get new maps every 2-3 months.

ShinAmano

Digital Limit said:
Actually, if anyone else has any great 2v2 maps, I'd love to hear about them.

I think I'll have a Halo party one of these days and 2v2 would be really fun.
Yeti Dome seems like it would be a solid 2v2 map.

GhaleonEB

ShinAmano said:
Yeti Dome seems like it would be a solid 2v2 map.
That's what I was going to say - it would be a great 2v2 space.

Good news about the upcoming content, I assume it's a new map pack. Noble was quite good and filled in some needed slots in the lineup.

What kind of maps do you guys want to see? Personally, another BTB or two would be nice, but I really want a good, open Forging space. Even if it's just a big field off to the side of another map or something.

Part of me misses the cockteasing about the maps back when Frankie was doing the BWU's. There hasn't been a hint of new content, and there wasn't for Noble either, until the week before it was announced.

There has to be a BTB map in the new DLC. But I really want to see new Firefight maps, too. Maybe it would be a big DLC mappack with 3MP-maps + 2 FF maps for 1200MSP. But I'm really tired to write really my wishes/hopes for a mappack.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't see the point of more Firefight maps. Usally you only stick to one spot on them anyway. I think Firefight is alright and I've played it a bunch and I never thought to myself... This game needs more FF maps. Never.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
neoism said:
which isn't very soon. >:/

2 months is soon, but I'll be well on my way to Homefront by then. That is, of course, unless they fix Armor lock.

Kuroyume said:
I don't see the point of more Firefight maps. Usally you only stick to one spot on them anyway. I think Firefight is alright and I've played it a bunch and I never thought to myself... This game needs more FF maps. Never.

This is why Firefight is < Horde mode. Then there's the fact you can join in progress (drop in drop out) in Horde mode too.

Also, after playing a shit load of Horde/Gears the last few weeks, WHY can't Reach use Firefight maps for MP?

Kuroyume said:
I think this just about every time I play Reach. I'd love to play Firefight on some of the multiplayer spaces too, like Anchor 9, Tempest, etc.

Its easy enough to avoid people gathering in one spot - just distribute those Ammo Boxes around the map. The more huddled together those ammo boxes are the more constrained the space feels.

One of the worst bits of various Horde modes is how people do stick to just one position, and no matter how emergent battles can become, they all end up feeling the same after a while since you're not exploring a level to its fullest, or having battles where you need to move from point A to B. I was hoping that Generator Defense was the perfect solution, but that game variant just feels broken.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
NullPointer said:
I think this just about every time I play Reach. I'd love to play Firefight on some of the multiplayer spaces too, like Anchor 9, Tempest, etc.

Its easy enough to avoid people gathering in one spot - just distribute those Ammo Boxes around the map. The more huddled together those ammo boxes are the more constrained the space feels.

One of the worst bits of various Horde modes is how people do stick to just one position, and no matter how emergent battles can become, they all end up feeling the same after a while since you're not exploring a level to its fullest, or having battles where you need to move from point A to B. I was hoping that Generator Defense was the perfect solution, but that game variant just feels broken.

You mean Firefight? Because in Horde mode you don't typically need to hunker down until blood mounts come out or 30+ rounds in. Then there's the fact that most of the time ammo is in a less than defensible area and you have to go out and get it.

Alienshogun said:
2 months is soon, but I'll be well on my way to Homefront by then. That is, of course, unless they fix Armor lock.

This is why Firefight is < Horde mode. Then there's the fact you can join in progress (drop in drop out) in Horde mode too.

Also, after playing a shit load of Horde/Gears the last few weeks, WHY can't Reach use Firefight maps for MP?

It's been a long time since I played Gears but I remember Horde mode very much being a camp session. That one map River? Was all about taking over that two story house that spawned the sniper? I think it was.

If they ever add FF maps, I would hope it would be a seperate pack on top of more MP maps. MP needs new maps far more than FF does and I would wager a majority of players only care about MP maps. I'm not saying there aren't tons of FF fans or that such a pack is unwanted, but I don't think many people would be happy to see potential MP map spots taken by FF maps. No reason they couldn't do a Noble 2 pack and also a seperate FF pack, though.

Alienshogun said:
You mean Firefight? Because in Horde mode you don't typically need to hunker down until blood mounts come out or 30+ rounds in. Then there's the fact that most of the time ammo is in a less than defensible area and you have to go out and get it.
Yeah, I meant Firefight, Horde, Zombies, Uncharted 2 Siege, whatever "co-op versus wave of enemies" game modes that are the rage right now (and thankfully so). I love Gears 2 Horde mode, and still think they've got the best overall setup for that kind of gameplay, but it can devolve into just holding the same spot, wave after wave after wave, and that ends up boring me to tears even if the core gameplay is top notch.

So yeah, Generator Defense has some potential to it, and the same with Firefight versus. I'd love to see Firefight continue to be tuned, along with new maps in DLC that change up the moment to moment objectives.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Squall ASF said:
It's been a long time since I played Gears but I remember Horde mode very much being a camp session. That one map River? Was all about taking over that two story house that spawned the sniper? I think it was.

If they ever add FF maps, I would hope it would be a seperate pack on top of more MP maps. MP needs new maps far more than FF does and I would wager a majority of players only care about MP maps. I'm not saying there aren't tons of FF fans or that such a pack is unwanted, but I don't think many people would be happy to see potential MP map spots taken by FF maps. No reason they couldn't do a Noble 2 pack and also a seperate FF pack, though.

That was probably until people got better.

Right now I've been playing Gears almost non stop for the last 3 weeks and the only times people hunker down is around the 8th wave of each 10 wave set, but mostly just the 10th wave of each set because Bloodmounts come out, and they can't get over the shields.

I remember what you are talking about though, because that's how a LOT of people played Horde a long time ago.

NullPointer said:
Yeah, I meant Firefight, Horde, Zombies, Uncharted 2 Siege, whatever "co-op versus wave of enemies" game modes that are the rage right now (and thankfully so). I love Gears 2 Horde mode, and still think they've got the best overall setup for that kind of gameplay, but it can devolve into just holding the same spot, wave after wave after wave, and that ends up boring me to tears even if the core gameplay is top notch.

So yeah, Generator Defense has some potential to it, and the same with Firefight versus. I'd love to see Firefight continue to be tuned, along with new maps in DLC that change up the moment to moment objectives.

Yeah unfortunately there's too much voting going on in firefight. You always end up with stupid ass shit like rocket/sniper fight and unlimited lives.

Still curious why they can't use FF maps for Mult.

Alienshogun said:
Yeah unfortunately there's too much voting going on in firefight. You always end up with stupid ass shit like rocket/sniper fight and unlimited lives.

Still curious why they can't use FF maps for Mult.
Agreed, on both counts. I've had to retreat to score attack unless I'm in a group of friends with a voting advantage.

The absolute worst, which KEEPS HAPPENING, is when the the lobby votes for Rocketfight/Sniperfight, followed by one player dropping out, while the other two just idle for the entire match.

Edit:
Alienshogun said:
This is why Firefight is < Horde mode.
Also agreed. No pools of lives, just one life for a given wave, with players able to revive downed teammates. An end game to achieve (round 50). The ability resume form the last wave you reachedand support for Horde in ALL multiplayer maps.

The Halo sandbox is more varied, but the Gears sandbox allows for more defensive options: plantable smoke and frag grenades, wearable and deployable shields, better heavy weaponry, etc.

Damn, now I'm in the mood for some Horde. :)

neoism

Alienshogun said:

lol

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
I actually think this is a design problem with implementation, not the maps themselves.

It's taken me while to realize it, but the unlimited ammo resupply is one of the bigger problems in Firefight, because it makes players speed back to spawn room for ammo. As a consequence, players (such as myself) seldom go far from it.

In ODST, the pistol and SMG ammo racks ran out about halfway through a Round, and we had to go on weapon foraging runs between Waves. That never happens in Reach; instead, everyone runs back to touch the ammo box. Removing it for the Limited playlist would make it both a survival and resource management game, and it would free players up to take position around the map more.

There's a slowly growing chorus in the Optimatch forum to remove the ammo boxes from normal Firefight, and I've been chiming in as often as I can. I think players should start with four spare clips instead of two, and then have to scrounge after that. More weapons would come into play, and players wouldn't be as tethered to base. There are still optimal places to turtle up on many of the maps, but others would open up nicely. In Corvette, for instance, the high side of the map is always neglected because it puts players too far from the resupply. It would be my preferred firing point if there wasn't the lure of more DMR ammo on low side.

At the very least, I think the change should be made to the Legendary variant, as it would better suit the name.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
I actually think this is a design problem with implementation, not the maps themselves.

It's taken me while to realize it, but the unlimited ammo resupply is one of the bigger problems in Firefight, because it makes players speed back to spawn room for ammo. As a consequence, players (such as myself) seldom go far from it.

In ODST, the pistol and SMG ammo racks ran out about halfway through a Round, and we had to go on weapon foraging runs between Waves. That never happens in Reach; instead, everyone runs back to touch the ammo box. Removing it for the Limited playlist would make it both a survival and resource management game, and it would free players up to take position around the map more.

There's a slowly growing chorus in the Optimatch forum to remove the ammo boxes from normal Firefight, and I've been chiming in as often as I can. I think players should start with four spare clips instead of two, and then have to scrounge after that. More weapons would come into play, and players wouldn't be as tethered to base. There are still optimal places to turtle up on many of the maps, but others would open up nicely. In Corvette, for instance, the high side of the map is always neglected because it puts players too far from the resupply. It would be my preferred firing point if there wasn't the lure of more DMR ammo on low side.

At the very least, I think the change should be made to the Legendary variant, as it would better suit the name.
I don't see how those maps couldn't be used in MP, in SOME way, it would ultimately come down do spawns and weapon placement/timers, but lets not kid ourselves, that isn't Bungie's strong suit either.

I'd be willing to bet more people would rather play MP on firefight maps than on forgeworld maps, but maybe that's just me.

Yeah, in Gears the ammo respawns quickly, but at least it isn't ALWAYS there, and it MUST be shared.

If firefight would simply go back to ODSTs formula and add matchmaking it would be awesome again. Sniperfight/rocket fight, unlimited ammo and lives makes it a stale experience for me.

NullPointer said:
Agreed, on both counts. I've had to retreat to score attack unless I'm in a group of friends with a voting advantage.

The absolute worst, which KEEPS HAPPENING, is when the the lobby votes for Rocketfight/Sniperfight, followed by one player dropping out, while the other two just idle for the entire match.

Edit:

Also agreed. No pools of lives, just one life for a given wave, with players able to revive downed teammates. An end game to achieve (round 50). The ability resume form the last wave you reachedand support for Horde in ALL multiplayer maps.

The Halo sandbox is more varied, but the Gears sandbox allows for more defensive options: plantable smoke and frag grenades, wearable and deployable shields, better heavy weaponry, etc.

Damn, now I'm in the mood for some Horde. :)

Yeah, and an arguably more dynamic battlefield with more varied enemy types.

But Halo has vehicles, which is a huge bonus, if only they would make maps for it now.

Hey You said:
I can't see alot of them working for Multiplayer, maybe if they had a decent forge pallet.

Better idea probably would have been make ALL mp maps, and add firefight to them.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
If firefight would simply go back to ODSTs formula and add matchmaking it would be awesome again. Sniperfight/rocket fight, unlimited ammo and lives makes it a stale experience for me.
Play Firefight Limited. It comes back on Tuesday, and you and I should romp some Legendary games. I got in a party with three other players and stayed with them, and we had a couple of killer Legendary games on Corvette. Limited lives, limited ammo (though the crate is there). It was the best Firefight experience I've had since Reach came out, in no small part because we got our asses utterly destroyed.

The good news is it looks like Limited and Arcade are going up to replace the current playlist. So the guys that want to blow stuff up with unlimited rockets and unlimited lives will be in one playlist, and the guys who want a challenge will be in the other. At last.

GhaleonEB said:
The good news is it looks like Limited and Arcade are going up to replace the current playlist. So the guys that want to blow stuff up with unlimited rockets and unlimited lives will be in one playlist, and the guys who want a challenge will be in the other. At last.
That is VERY good news.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Play Firefight Limited. It comes back on Tuesday, and you and I should romp some Legendary games. I got in a party with three other players and stayed with them, and we had a couple of killer Legendary games on Corvette. Limited lives, limited ammo (though the crate is there). It was the best Firefight experience I've had since Reach came out, in no small part because we got our asses utterly destroyed.

Yeah, the best FF games are the ones where you're constantly getting pushed around. Hit me up when it goes live.

GhaleonEB said:

Good news about the upcoming content, I assume it's a new map pack. Noble was quite good and filled in some needed slots in the lineup.

What kind of maps do you guys want to see? Personally, another BTB or two would be nice, but I really want a good, open Forging space. Even if it's just a big field off to the side of another map or something.

Part of me misses the cockteasing about the maps back when Frankie was doing the BWU's. There hasn't been a hint of new content, and there wasn't for Noble either, until the week before it was announced.
I'm also pretty disappointed with how the last batch of maps weren't teased in the slightest, other than very cryptic "we're playing this map now and it's awesome" comments that bear no meaning whatsoever. One of the best teases ever was with the hand drawing of one of the Sandbox towers. People went apeshit over than and it spawned a thousand 'what is it?' threads. I really hope Frankie does some of the hyping for the 343i stuff.

As for new maps, of course I want a newer, better (more stable) forge palette. Forge World has more disappointments in it than I ever thought was possible from the vidoc, but I probably put it on too high of a pedestal to begin with. Hopefully the next incarnation can deal with the framerate issues, even if it's at the expense of a super high budget.

There needs to be more BTB maps, and more maps that have a tighter focus on a specific gametype, instead of the original group of non-Invasion maps that were jack-of-all-trades yet masters of none. Noble seemed to do this really well, which is encouraging. Maybe we can actually get some teases this time, instead of an Armor Lock trolling video. ;-)

Gui_PT

Horde mode should be called Camp-a-Thon.

Hide in a corner and block the passage with a couple of shields. Exit to pickup some ammo when needed and that's that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
Horde should be called Camp-a-Thon.

Hide in a corner and block the passage with a couple of shields. Exit to pickup some ammo when needed and that's that.

Like I said, no one does that anymore unless you're wave 30+ or you're on the 9th/10th wave of a 10 wave set, because of bloodmounts.

That's more than you have to do in FF the way it is now.

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
Like I said, no one does that anymore unless you're wave 30+ or you're on the 9th/10th wave of a 10 wave set, because of bloodmounts.

I'll partially agree with you if you finish the game with me. On the hardest setting.

... Maybe =P

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
I'll partially agree with you if you finish the game with me. On the hardest setting.

... Maybe =P

Like I said before, if I'm on and you wanna do that hit me up, you haven't even sent me an invite yet! I've been on Gears the last 3 weeks.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:

One thing the limited lives does is make those drop pods matter. On Beachhead, I tend to stay on the walkways near spawn and DMR enemies at long range, using plasma weapons to help with the Elites and Brutes that work their way to me. But when the four pack of Concussion Rifle-packing Brutes or five Elite Ultras land and flood the area? Bail out time. Those dudes are set to pursue; I've literally been chased all the way around maps when they roll in. Especially on Limited, those guys can shred the lives pool in no time.

I kinda wish the rest of the AI had some similarly aggressive AI; it's kind of refreshing to be flushed out of the perches by a swarm of angry Elites. Otherwise it's Hunters and boss waves that freak people out.

And while I'm asking for more Challenge - we need more than Cloud, Tough Luck and Catch on. The last Round should at least have Mythic turn on. THAT would kick some asses pretty hard.

GhaleonEB said:
And while I'm asking for more Challenge - we need more than Cloud, Tough Luck and Catch on. The last Round should at least have Mythic turn on. THAT would kick some asses pretty hard.
And tilt. Tilt is the one skull that really makes combat feel more "Halo"ish.

Gui_PT said:
They don't count. Just do BeachHead or Overlook. But BeachHead is better, you'll get Wraiths AND Ghosts. And if you die right as the vehicle explodes, it doesn't count (for some reason) so be careful.

Thanks for checking. No way that's worth 1500 pts. If I was already done with the weekly I would do it for the commendation progress. Commendations are pretty clever, they get me to do challenges I otherwise wouldn't do, sometimes. The RPG fan in me is what enslaves me to this game...must get max level...must onyx all commendations... will probably take a few years haha

GhaleonEB said:

My pie in the sky dream is a metropolis themed forge map. Maybe 3 specific zones, with a tileset that makes building your own elevation changes make sense. Think Turf+Halo 2 E3 demo+the verticality of headlong. sooooooooooooooo good.

I'd probably buy a code for every one of my lapsed halo buddies if they came out with that.

Also, I'd bet Bungie is gunshy of teasing new maps too much because a) they're not the ones building them or b) Microsoft's fucking with the Mythic map release window burned them. I remember playing Assembly at PAX five or six months before it became available to the public.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
VALHALLA REMAKE!
I don't want a single direct remake in any of Reach's map packs. Something in the style of Valhalla would be good (Box canyon with cover), but not the same thing with a new paintjob

vhfive

MrBig said:
I don't want a single direct remake in any of Reach's map packs. Something in the style of Valhalla would be good (Box canyon with cover), but not the same thing with a new paintjob
I'd rather get something I know is good then something that may or may not be good

MrBig said:
Infinitely better than the Forerunner architecture we see with every decent remake thus far.

Lazslo

Does anyone want to play matchmaking or anything right now? I hate playing with Randoms idiots..

VHFizzle go on bro, I'll give you 5 Million space points plus I'll teach you how to play Halo

Top Bottom