• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You know, I was OK with the idea of no ranks in Reach because I thought true skill would find me competitive teammates and opponents and that's all I really wanted. Cheating has gone away completely(for now) but the True Skill hasn't been doing its job too well. I'm not pleased with how many games my teammate and I get the shittiest teammates ever against parties of 3 or 4. We have to do EVERYTHING it seems just to keep the matches close.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
380spaceballs.jpg

Covies on Backwash was a visual orgasm on my eyes. It was the sort of unique atmosphere not created that often in shooters these days.

Edit: HAH, thought it was the Major Asshole bit first. Delighted instead by that bit :p

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
You know, I was OK with the idea of no ranks in Reach because I thought true skill would find me competitive teammates and opponents and that's all I really wanted. Cheating has gone away completely(for now) but the True Skill hasn't been doing its job too well. I'm not pleased with how many games my teammate and I get the shittiest teammates ever against parties of 3 or 4. We have to do EVERYTHING it seems just to keep the matches close.
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=56080843&viewreplies=true&postRepeater1-p=1

Addressing your concern for party restrictions (preventing a team from matching with individuals), we extended the offer to enable party restrictions to MLG back in December and they declined. This option can have a negative impact on matchmaking times depending on the population of the playlist. If they determine they want to try it out we'll work with them to implement the restriction.

And some more info if you're interested.

Might have something to do with the fact MLG in Reach usually has like ~500-3000peak players in it while MLG in Halo 3 had ~3000-5000peak.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
neoism said:
your right but we could also get another Blackout... man that would suck.

Do you not remember the reaction to Blackout? It was harsh, and if you look at subsequent remakes which came afterwards such as Midship, Ivory Tower and Coag, they've been much more faithful.

I suspect that if we ever see any more remakes in future they will take less liberties with the layout and function of the level and maybe more so with the artistic direction, if that.

Even though I don't really forge, a new forge world might be nice with a new setting.

Or some large vehicular FF maps would be great, oh how I would kill for a wave fighting a scarab. :(

Striker

CrazedArabMan said:
Even though I don't really forge, a new forge world might be nice with a new setting.

Or some large vehicular FF maps would be great, oh how I would kill for a wave fighting a scarab. :(
New Forge World type map I want: urban city, similar to Turf, Terminal, Metropolis

Otherwise, if we're getting three regular maps again, I want at least one BTB map, one mid-size map built for objectives, and a symmetrical area similar to Beaver Creek.

feel

Eww, I wouldn't want this Armor Lock/Sprint/Camo/jetpack filth to taint the majestic grounds of Valhalla or The pit... new maps only please

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
Yes. Yes. YES.

I'd love to use the Falcon in a Firefight context somehow.
Yeah, I think the only reason to make a new Firefight map would be to create a very different type of game on it. Vehicles would be an example.

I kinda wanted to see a new take on the idea behind Waterfront: a central structure with Covenant dropped off all around. But with better flow than Waterfront, which is way too formless to be effective.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I think the only reason to make a new Firefight map would be to create a very different type of game on it. Vehicles would be an example.

I kinda wanted to see a new take on the idea behind Waterfront: a central structure with Covenant dropped off all around. But with better flow than Waterfront, which is way too formless to be effective.
My wish would be for a fully revised Generator Defense. Give us something to actually defend (generator, civilians in a bunker waiting on rescue pelicans, decryption of forerunner tech, whatever). Put the thing we're defending in a defensible spot - NOT out in the open, and have the Spartans defend it as well as they can under the time limit set for the match.

And unlike the enemy AI on display in generator defense, split enemy formations into roles. Instead of having every single enemy making a beeline for the target, have some hold back and harass, have some flank, and have others make direct assaults. Let ammo boxes get depleted, and when empty you have to wait a small period of time until extra equipment, health and ordinance is dropped somewhere else on the map.

Once the generator is defended or remaining civilians have been rescued, or whatever, have an endless all-skulls-enabled bonus round - lone wolf style - just for bonus score multipliers and to go out with a bang.

I can dream. Work is boring today ;P

Tashi0106 said:

I had similar experiances on Halo 3, so the trueskill running in the background is still at least as good/ bad as it was on Halo 3. What doesnt help is that everything except the Arena feels like playing Social, so most people (myself included) dont really try.

So you might be getting matched up with good people, that actually cant be arsed.

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
I had similar experiances on Halo 3, so the trueskill running in the background is still at least as good/ bad as it was on Halo 3. What doesnt help is that everything except the Arena feels like playing Social, so most people (myself included) dont really try.

So you might be getting matched up with good people, that actually cant be arsed.

Well then, how about you stop ruining other people's experience and not play anymore? =\

Gui_PT said:
Well then, how about you stop ruining other people's experience and not play anymore? =\

:(

I dont really try on Halo 3 social either but that doesnt mean im just mucking about. Instead of playing super serious and trying to rank up im instead just playing on a lot more of a casual level.

Sure, teammates might not like the fact im not REALLY trying to win, but to be honest there's more to video games than winning or losing, back on Halo 3 early on despite SUCKING with a Sniper, I tried to use it in social. In Ranked however I would let a much better teammate take over. To be fair, if it wasnt for that attitude, I would never have been confident enough to snipe.

Its a bad attitude to have in something like MLG, and that's why Tashi might be struggling to find teammates who go for the win. It sucks, but its true, and your not being honest if your telling me you go into every Halo match with the must win at all costs mentality. In MLG I find it more fun to go Rambo, which isn't necessarily how I would play if I was really full on trying to win but playing aggressively is much more fun than playing defensively.

If you are playing every Halo match with that mentality, then I feel sorry for you, Halo can offer some amazing times when you just let your hair down and have fun

Apath

I want Headlong, Elongation, Midship, and The Pit please k thanx. Terminal and Valhalla would be cool as well.

That one map (Damnation?) that was one of the last maps to be released for Halo 2 and was a remake of the Halo 1 map was also great. Kind of reminds me of Zealot without the stupid map design decisions (read: space).

Gui_PT

I don't say you need a must win mentality.

But I simply cannot have fun while I'm getting my ass kicked because my teammates are stupid or just don't feel like trying (not directed at you)

I can definitely have fun even while losing. But if I'm losing because of stupidity, it just pisses me off (not directed at you either cuz I luvs u)

Gui_PT said:
I don't say you need a must win mentality.

But I simply cannot have fun while I'm getting my ass kicked because my teammates are stupid or just don't feel like trying (not directed at you)

I can definitely have fun even while losing. But if I'm losing because of stupidity, it just pisses me off (not directed at you either cuz I luvs u)

Yeah I agree, getting trounced because people on your team suck... sucks. I think in Tashi's case, hes playing at such a high level he expects his teammates to do well, so for Tashi, just doing average when playing with him can cost the game.

Without something to lose though, I just cant be bothered with the must win mentality. Especially since its likely that my opponents will be super casual. I did go in really trying early on, but as I was finding every match extremely uncompetitive, I lost that drive. Its no fun playing competitively against people who don't try. I also find the game mechanics of Reach less fun when I go all super serious, its so much more fun to just hop in a Banshee.

Its the same on all games, having teammates on CoD who give the enemy kill streak rewards drives me up the wall, I don't go into games with a stupid mentality, but I sure as hell wont bring my A game into every match and thats why I liked that distinction between ranked and social before - when I feel like playing seriously I would jump into Ranked, otherwise I would stick to social. After working im too tired to take a video game 100% seriously.

But for some people (myself included, depending on the gametype of course) playing to win is fun.

It reminds me of people saying stupid things about how MLG sucks the fun out of games, limiting rulesets are bad, the competitive players only play to win. Well why would they keep playing if they weren't having fun? Playing a close game of MLG or Slayer Pro and striving for the win all the time will always be more fun to me than some Crazy King or half-assing Slayer Pro and getting donged on. If I want to be laid back I'll play Multi-Team, Rumble Pit or Living Dead. It's not fair for your teammates that are trying to win if you're not giving it 110%.

Not giving it my all, purposefully playing poorly sucks the fun out of it for me.

Striker

Kenak said:
I want Headlong, Elongation, Midship, and The Pit please k thanx. Terminal and Valhalla would be cool as well.

That one map (Damnation?) that was one of the last maps to be released for Halo 2 and was a remake of the Halo 1 map was also great. Kind of reminds me of Zealot without the stupid map design decisions (read: space).
Desolation in Halo 2, Derelict in Halo 1.

Tombstone (remake of Hang 'Em High) was also pretty good, and great for the Halo 2 BR.

Gui_PT said:
When asked why Bungie doesn't support bots they responded with "just mute all the players on the enemy team. Problem solved".

So yeah, sometimes when I play online, I'm playing with Bungie's bots, not necessarily trying to put 100% of my effort into the win (lets say 70%). Sometimes its just to relax and blow stuff up.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
bobs99 ... said:
Yeah I agree, getting trounced because people on your team suck... sucks. I think in Tashi's case, hes playing at such a high level he expects his teammates to do well, so for Tashi, just doing average when playing with him can cost the game.

Without something to lose though, I just cant be bothered with the must win mentality. Especially since its likely that my opponents will be super casual. I did go in really trying early on, but as I was finding every match extremely uncompetitive, I lost that drive. Its no fun playing competitively against people who don't try. I also find the game mechanics of Reach less fun when I go all super serious, its so much more fun to just hop in a Banshee.

Its the same on all games, having teammates on CoD who give the enemy kill streak rewards drives me up the wall, I don't go into games with a stupid mentality, but I sure as hell wont bring my A game into every match and thats why I liked that distinction between ranked and social before - when I feel like playing seriously I would jump into Ranked, otherwise I would stick to social. After working im too tired to take a video game 100% seriously.
I mean look, I'm not gonna say I go positive 10 every game with 15 assists and 3 flag caps. That doesn't happen. I'm not asking even asking them to go positive every game. If you're at the bottom of the list with the fewest amount of kills, let a teammate who's hotter grab that fresh sniper. If your shot is off and you're losing battles, mold into a support role and back up your teammates. Try focusing on dying less. Me and my teammate are busting our asses every fucking game and playing smart.

Also, I firmly believe that the lack of ranks lowers the overall quality of matches. While cheating did become rampant at high levels(not on the levels of Halo 2 though lol), if you went in alone you could expect that your teammates would have their mics in or wouldn't be in party chat. Also, if I went in without a party of 4, I'm not matching against another party of 4.

I can win with average teammates with the competition Reach has been throwing me, I can't win with 2 guys who combine for -19 and don't have mics. That's asking a lot lol.

Gui_PT

NullPointer said:
When asked why Bungie doesn't support bots they responded with "just mute all the players on the enemy team. Problem solved".

So yeah, sometimes when I play online, I'm playing with Bungie's bots, not necessarily trying to put 100% of my effort into the win (lets say 70%). Sometimes its just to relax and blow stuff up.

I understand what you're saying. But if you're going in with that mentality, why not enter a playlist that doesn't depend on good teamwork or any kind of effort from your part?

You have more than one playlist for that: Rumble Pit, Living Dead or even Multi Team.

Kujo

I want Waterworks and Headlong. They can double Waterworks up as a Firefight map and Headlong as an Invasion map, or something.

Gui_PT said:
I understand what you're saying. But if you're going in with that mentality, why not enter a playlist that doesn't depend on good teamwork or any kind of effort from your part?

You have more than one playlist for that: Rumble Pit, Living Dead or even Multi Team.
I'm still in the fight, and I'd still like to win - its just that I don't take that as the end all be all. Sometimes you want to experiment and put fun and crazy above a focus on pure score. So its not like I'm throwing the match, but I have enough to be worried about in real life than to put too much stake on an online match.

But hey, I'm still a team player. If we're playing Stockpile on breakpoint I'll grab that warthog or mongoose to help with flag carries and the like.

Thats how the new Trueskill works. You don't play better opponents they just stick you with WORSE teammates and you have to carry harder. Its fucking strenuous on your back, it really is, too much extra weight. God forbid you ever have a bad game because then you got a team of 4 doing bad and that just leads to games that are way too unbalanced where you get a teammate go -12 -1 -1 and you manage to go even with all odds against you but still lose.

Terrible MM. Can't believe they removed the number systems for everything but Arena and added a crappy system in Arena.

CoD I noticed does something good it manages to try and balance objective/support points with slayer points with the entire score per minute statistic. I really like that (especially for Domination) although for some reason I find my SPM lower even though I'm doing well and supporting the objective in some way (only way I play - Unless its Invasion on Breakpoint with all of HaloGAF)

Tashi0106 said:
I mean look, I'm not gonna say I go positive 10 every game with 15 assists and 3 flag caps. That doesn't happen. I'm not asking even asking them to go positive every game. If you're at the bottom of the list with the fewest amount of kills, let a teammate who's hotter grab that fresh sniper. If your shot is off and you're losing battles, mold into a support role and back up your teammates. Try focusing on dying less. Me and my teammate are busting our asses every fucking game and playing smart.

Also, I firmly believe that the lack of ranks lowers the overall quality of matches. While cheating did become rampant at high levels(not on the levels of Halo 2 though lol), if you went in alone you could expect that your teammates would have their mics in or wouldn't be in party chat. Also, if I went in without a party of 4, I'm not matching against another party of 4.

I can win with average teammates with the competition Reach has been throwing me, I can't win with 2 guys who combine for -19 and don't have mics. That's asking a lot lol.

See thats the issue, as its not ranked, and people aren't playing for the win/ scared of losing they're rank, they play more selfishly. I think we agree in what we are saying to be honest - I tend to personally play MLG because I like the core gameplay in MLG more than I like it in any other mode but that doesn't mean im going in with that MLG mindset where I absolutely have to win.

Im sure as hell not sucking, but im not playing as smart as I would be with a rank on the line. Part of my reason for that is because you can never tell if your opponents are going to bring they're A game or not. Going full out and finding that the competition doesn't exist sucks.

Barrow Roll, I do play to win and I find that extremely fun, but im finding with Reach that for a host of factors, its more like my social game. When I have friends on and im feeling competitive I still prefer to jump on Halo 3 for that fix.

NullPointer said:
I'm still in the fight, and I'd still like to win - its just that I don't take that as the end all be all. Sometimes you want to experiment and put fun and crazy above a focus on pure score. So its not like I'm throwing the match, but I have enough to be worried about in real life than to put too much stake on an online match.

But hey, I'm still a team player. If we're playing Stockpile on breakpoint I'll grab that warthog or mongoose to help with flag carries and the like.

This is my mentality on Reach, the core gameplay is a lot more fun when your experimenting and so for example: When I say im not doing my best I mean I would be using Jetpacks, rather than really going for the safe win and sticking with armour lock.

Lazslo

Dani said:
Do you not remember the reaction to Blackout? It was harsh, and if you look at subsequent remakes which came afterwards such as Midship, Ivory Tower and Coag, they've been much more faithful.

I suspect that if we ever see any more remakes in future they will take less liberties with the layout and function of the level and maybe more so with the artistic direction, if that.
I never understood why everyone hated on Blackout so much when it came out- it always played like Lockout to me and gave me that fix I needed (holding-down a Sniper tower) during those early Halo Three days. However, initially the spawns were dreadful and almost un-playable, but I think Shishkabob put out a fix relatively fast in terms of Bungie time to cure the pain. I tend to like when Bungie puts an updated shine on remakes; I think it changes gameplay for the better, but I'm almost positive that the majority of the fans would prefer pixel-perfect remakes of geometry. Anyway, a little Birdie told me that Bungie's plans for the new DLC might be a little different or incredibly incredible on a scale of incredible proportion this time around so I'm looking forward to it.

Lazslo said:
Anyway, a little Birdie told me that Bungie's plans for the new DLC might be a little different or incredibly incredible on a scale of incredible proportion this time around so I'm looking forward to it.
That can mean only one thing... damn you for making me dream!

Lazslo

NullPointer said:
That can mean only one thing... damn you for making me dream!
It's a remake of the remake of Ascension and only Ghal can play on it. It's also the only map that he can vote for.

Edit: Oh and they added 2 more snipers.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
In Corvette, for instance, the high side of the map is always neglected because it puts players too far from the resupply.

Not by me. :smug

As for multiplayer maps, Valhalla, The Pit, and Headlong/Terminal would be my must have list. I'd also love Avalanche, Burial Mounds, Beaver Creek, Relic, Foundation, Midship/Heretic, Lockout, Last Resort, Containment, Standoff, Construct, etc. Oh, and a Forge World 2.0: Electric Boogaloo with areas I could actually use.

For Firefight, they already have Club Errera for Crater to be used in any potential remake, so besides that, Lost Platoon, and Security Zone would be awesome.

Though, I doubt any of these would ever be remade for Reach. :/

Lazslo said:
It's a remake of the remake of Ascension and only Ghal can play on it. It's also the only map that he can vote for.

Edit: Oh and they added 2 more snipers.
I already shared some of my firefight dreams, and I think Bungie shut the door on any more campaign levels as DLC, but that still leaves one untapped frontier...

Top Bottom