• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

neoism

Dani said:
Do you not remember the reaction to Blackout? It was harsh, and if you look at subsequent remakes which came afterwards such as Midship, Ivory Tower and Coag, they've been much more faithful.

I suspect that if we ever see any more remakes in future they will take less liberties with the layout and function of the level and maybe more so with the artistic direction, if that.
yeah they obviously learn their lesson.

zumphry

Banned
MrBig said:
http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-competitive-maps/111920-battle-canyon.html
Interesting Battle Creek remake that uses world geometry for the middle but also has the underground areas. Best one I've seen yet, but I didn't download it yet.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/Noxiw/Battle Creek/1.jpg

e: Someone make sure Urk sees this so he can show it to NoF for that Classic playlist he's working on

I've followed this thread on B.net for awhile (mostly due to a thread on HBO), and there's a lot of really good remakes there. Don't know if NoF is following that thread and group, though.

Apath

You know, Bungie wouldn't have to deal with making a billion different play list variants to match their plethora of game tweaking options and custom maps if they had just included a standard custom games list like all other games.

IMO playlists work best when you have minimal variations in games so you can keep the playlists few and populated. Halo's multiplayer options are so many and so varied that it's impossible to appease everyone without making all but a handful of playlists a barren wasteland. So why would they not go the common-sense route of including a standard customs games list?

neoism

Tashi0106 said:
Lol I mean, is that so crazy? I believe it.
nah I'm just playin.. :p It was popular.... but it was sooo bad... :( It was one of those maps I never could do good on it either. so I hated it a little more than others.

neoism

Kenak said:
You know, Bungie wouldn't have to deal with making a billion different play list variants to match their plethora of game tweaking options and custom maps if they had just included a standard custom games list like all other games.

IMO playlists work best when you have minimal variations in games so you can keep the playlists few and populated. Halo's multiplayer options are so many and so varied that it's impossible to appease everyone without making all but a handful of playlists a barren wasteland. So why would they not go the common-sense route of including a standard customs games list?
what console FPS games have a custom game list to chose from..... KZ2 ? Its never been that why for Halo, and probably never will. :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
neoism said:
nah I'm just playin.. :p It was popular.... but it was sooo bad... :( It was one of those maps I never could do good on it either. so I hated it a little more than others.
Was it bad or was it just a massive disappointment because it wasn't exactly like the Halo 2 version? I don't think it's a bad map.

neoism

Tashi0106 said:
Was it bad or was it just a massive disappointment because it wasn't exactly like the Halo 2 version? I don't think it's a bad map.
For me it was... one of the reasons I loved H2 Lockout was because it was a forerunner map. I never really liked human environments... The Pitt is the best one though. That and the fact like I sad I just never played well on the map for some reason. Just like Boardwalk in Reach.... I rarely if ever play well on the map. When the map first came out I just had shitty game after shitty game on it. That and th fact it was a human environment, it just never clicked with me.

-Yeti said:
downloaded... :d thank you sir... just couldn't find it on bnet for some reason... :)

neoism said:
downloaded... :d thank you sir... just couldn't find it on bnet for some reason... :)

Haha, I tried searching for it to just to test it and it wouldn't bring it up for me either. Hmm..

Anyway, thanks for the download. :D

Kuroyume

Banned
Never really understood the hate it got considering how most of the Halo 3 maps were terrible. It was one of the better maps in the game, just bad compared to the original because it wasn't the original. I actually like the look of the map. Not as much as Lockout but it looked nice with the juicy filter on... Which for whatever reason Bungie never used in matchmaking. Why haven't they used it or any of the other filters in Reach matchmaking either?

Anyway, regarding remakes in this game I'd rather not see them. Just thinking of maps like Headlong, Terminal, Waterworks, Collossus... I don't see them playing well with the abilities in this game. People being able to jetpack to the top of the base on Headlong or walking in with the cloak would ruin it. It's somewhat fine with Reflection because that map is so small compared to the others.

How are reaches numbers a few months after release compared to halo 3's? Everyone on my friend list during H3 was swayed only slightly by CoD4 but now it seems like all the halo players are stuck on blops. There was really nothing to mess with Halo 2....

MrBig said:
http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-competitive-maps/111920-battle-canyon.html
Interesting Battle Creek remake that uses world geometry for the middle but also has the underground areas. Best one I've seen yet, but I didn't download it yet.
1.jpg

e: Someone make sure Urk sees this so he can show it to NoF for that Classic playlist he's working on

Seriously, an amazing remake and one of my favorite ForgeWorld maps.

On a side note, what is Bungie thinking? File Search is hidden god-knows where and when I find it by trying to use their other search incorrectly, I find out you can only browse content by tags? The fuck? I just want to find Yeti Dome, god damnit!

Bleh. Anyone have a link? I suppose I'll just use Google.

GhaleonEB

A lot of the classic maps depended on a certain map flow to them that would be spoiled with armor abilities, namely the jetpack (Reflection is a good example of this). That wouldn't affect a map like Valhalla, where jet packers would be shouting "pull!" every time they go up. But something like Headlong wouldn't work as it was designed with specific vertical routes in mind. Dudes just jetpacking up the building wouldn't be fun.

I would caveat this by saying, well, they could always just exclude the jetpack from the map. But load outs seem to be determined at the game type level, not on a per-map basis (as I think they should be), and so it wouldn't matter.

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
I think what hurt it most was AR starts. There was two Battle Rifles on the map and once teams set up, they're toast. I felt at least with Halo 2 Lockout and SMG starts, you had some sort of chance as I felt the dual wielding > Halo 3 Assault Rifle, and maneuverability was greater in 2. The equipment served no purpose in there, either. Slowed down the gameplay far too much. I actually didn't mind Team Snipers on there, but derpa derp radar was still on, so it wasn't enjoyable as it could have been.

Granted, it's an ok map, but that's because it's in a map list that shines out Construct, Isolation, Snowbound, Epitaph, and so on.

Blackout sucked.

The two jumps up front and side of Snipe1->2 eliminated it as the greatest 1v1, something it was incredibly famous for in H2. The permaclosing of Library window led to less lines of sight/objective ball drop/support so MLG said fuck it and never picked it up. Plagued with bad spawns at the beginning which were supposedly fixed led to a simplified system where you always knew where they were going to be and could force them into spawning blue lift everytime ruined it especially at high level SWAT. I imagine it was ranked so high in similar fashion to why AR's were so popular (they were shoved at everyone and the majority don't even care what they play they just want to play)

Ultimately what ruined it was snipe was overpowered. In H2 a player from back BR 3-2 could ping down sniper while others made a rush or finished that player. The distance of Blackout made Halo 3's BR too ineffective from BR to Snipe leading to an overpowered snipe. The default Slayer was also garbage too because a team that managed to whore enough BR's had no chance of being stopped by AR's.

That's my thoughts at it.

cuevas said:
How are reaches numbers a few months after release compared to halo 3's? Everyone on my friend list during H3 was swayed only slightly by CoD4 but now it seems like all the halo players are stuck on blops. There was really nothing to mess with Halo 2....

According to Deep NNN's numbers on HBO, Reach is faring slightly lower numbers overall. That said its still got enough people on it to get good quality games.

The Black Ops map pack has totally put me off that game lol.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
Yes I do only other person that plays Halo on HaloGAF.
Lolol fuck off I haven't touched Mass Effect 2 in a week. I'm gonna play it today now actually just because you said that (and also because I haven't beaten it yet) I've been sick so staring at my monitor playing Halo has been giving me headaches when I played this week.

Gui_PT said:
Goddamn, everyone uses Videocopilot.net tutorials nowadays. No originality.

Edit: I'll get back on in a short while, Juice-inator

The intro was nothing special, but the rest of the video had some funny AI moments. :p

With the trend for temporary experimental gametypes, I would like to see a Race gametype. I have rarely got to try it out, but it seems like they put a fair amount of effort into it.

RUMOR ALERT:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/04/halo-combat-evolved-hd/

Halo 1 HD with online co-op targeted for this fall.

I don't know if I trust Joystiq's source on this one, but it's worth discussing.

The real surprise here is that 343 is NOT the one developing it - they're basically acting as a publisher, it seems. The dudes behind Timeshift are allegedly doing it and not using the Reach engine (I thought they were the Section 8 guys?)

Also, the one part of this that does seem believable is not having multiplayer. I doubt MS would go ahead with remaking it with full MP, since it would cannibalize what little pull Reach still has.

oddworld18 said:
RUMOR ALERT:

I don't know if I trust Joystiq's source on this one, but it's worth discussing.

The real surprise here is that 343 is NOT the one developing it - they're basically acting as a publisher, it seems. The dudes behind Timeshift are allegedly doing it and not using the Reach engine (I thought they were the Section 8 guys?)

Also, the one part of this that does seem believable is not having multiplayer. I doubt MS would go ahead with remaking it with full MP, since it would cannibalize what little pull Reach still has.
If MS confirms it, I'll believe it. Until that time, I don't. I just don't see them handing off the remake of their most popular game to "the guys behind Timeshift".

Hey You

-Yeti said:
Haha, I tried searching for it to just to test it and it wouldn't bring it up for me either. Hmm..

Anyway, thanks for the download. :D
Are you tagging the file?

You won't be able to find it unless its in a File Share and tagged with the word you are searching.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
oddworld18 said:
RUMOR ALERT:

Was just about to post this, oh lord.

neoism

oddworld18 said:
RUMOR ALERT:

no words if true....... :|

Merguson

Banned
No Valhalla remake please. It wouldn't work well in Halo: Reach in my opinion anyways.

The sniper would just.. turn the map into a nightmare.

GhaleonEB

oddworld18 said:
RUMOR ALERT:

No MP makes sense, for that reason (and, it would have to be a pretty big-rebuild of the MP to make it work online). Weird another developer would do it. Rumors, of course, but the drum beat about an HD Halo 1 remake for the 10th anniversary has been steady now.
Merguson said:
No Valhalla remake please. It wouldn't work well in Halo: Reach in my opinion anyways.

True. And the DMR's improved range would really change how dominating the hill is, you'd be able to nails guys in either base.

Merguson said:

Don't see how it could possibly be worse than Hemorrhage.

Blue Ninja said:
If MS confirms it, I'll believe it. Until that time, I don't. I just don't see them handing off the remake of their most popular game to "the guys behind Timeshift".

Yeah. I call BS. MS would keep anything Halo "in-house".

:)

Ramirez

Uh, if they don't add online MP it there is literally no point to making it. The single player of Halo is still the best in the series...(lol go ahead and say "bu bu bu Reach".)

Ramirez said:
Uh, if they don't add online MP it there is literally no point to making it. The single player of Halo is still the best in the series...(lol go ahead and say "bu bu bu Reach".)

Agreed, but I don't see anything in that article that says they arent making multiplayer. It just says they are adding multiplayer co op. Am I missing something?

If it didnt have multiplayer/ was changed it just wouldnt be worth getting for me.

Ramirez said:

I'd say that is a good enough reason, I'd love to replay the first game in HD. If they change nothing but the visuals (which is what I hope they do) I'll be perfectly happy.

Halo 1 doesn't look horrible or anything but seeing those enviroments spruced up would be lovely, online co-op would be brilliant too. If it's true it'll certainly help the plans me and a buddy have of playing all of the games through on co-op for the 10th anniversary.

Ramirez said:
The single player of Halo is still the best in the series...(lol go ahead and say "bu bu bu Reach".)
Bu bu bu Odious :p. Nah, you're probably right.

If 343 aren't doing it, no thank you. If it really is those guys who did Timeshift... :-/.

Sibylus

Banned
Ramirez said:
Bu bu bu Reach.

Though that kinda spoils the ending of my review (which will be more thoughtful than "BBBR", honest), which I still haven't got around to finishing. For shame, Botolf!

*makes a note to get to that today*

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.

Odd rumours to say the least. I mean the Timeshift dudes as opposed to the anniversary remake. I am just go get the pre-emptive wishlist going and hope it is as colourful as Halo: CE was.

Top Bottom