• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

LosDaddie

Banned
If some codes are going to be given out, then I hope the 343/Bungie guys on GAF at least give them to people who regularly play the game
like myself

Havok

Honestly, forging on a DLC map limits your potential audience by such a large margin that I don't see the appeal of it unless the color scheme was very different and you were sick of the green and blue of Forge World.

Striker

Havok said:
Honestly, forging on a DLC map limits your potential audience by such a large margin that I don't see the appeal of it unless the color scheme was very different and you were sick of the green and blue of Forge World.
That's why we need another Forge World (snow or urban themed, please).

Havok said:

More like blue and grey.

*Presses F5*

1279530695_fffffffuuuuuuu.gif

*Mashes F5*

GhaleonEB

Raide said:
Covie Forge World in the next map pack, Believe.

The one thing I'll say - I think I can say this - is that before I got to try Unearthed I mentioned a few times that it would be the first Firefight map designed for Firefight from the ground up. The shipping maps were spaces carved out from Campaign and retrofitted for Firefight. And while many of the maps are excellent, you can by and large tell from their design and how they play that they were not conceived of as Firefight spaces. And so I was hoping that there would be a marked difference in how Unearthed played compared to the shipping maps.

There is.

blamite

Heh, I'm definitely not expecting to get a code, so I guess that's why I don't care that I won't? I doubt us new Juniors are considered important enough to get codes anyway. >.>
I still want one though

GhaleonEB said:

The one thing I'll say - I think I can say this - is that before I got to try Unearthed I mentioned a few times that it would be the first Firefight map designed for Firefight from the ground up. The shipping maps were spaces carved out from Campaign and retrofitted for Firefight. And while many of the maps are excellent, you can by and large tell from their design and how they play that they were not conceived of as Firefight spaces. And so I was hoping that there would be a marked difference in how Unearthed played compared to the shipping maps.

There is.
Now I am truly curious.

GhaleonEB said:

There is.
Yup.

...Wish I could say more, but can't.

Seriously, asking for codes is the easiest way to NOT get them. F&F codes are given to the people who contribute to the community in one way or another, or are a F&F of Bungie/343. Asking won't make you magically fit into one of those categories, but I guess it can provoke the graces of someone who has extra codes.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:

With Covie themed architecture? Day 1.

I cannot afford the maps this time around, since I am saving like mad for my holiday. :D Plus I still spend so much time in Forge, I don't think I would be able to really give the new maps justice.

GhaleonEB said:

The one thing I'll say - I think I can say this - is that before I got to try Unearthed I mentioned a few times that it woudl be the first Firefight map designed for Firefight from the ground up; the shipping maps were spaces carved out from Campaign and retrofitted for Firefight. And while many of the maps are excellent, you can, for the most part, tell by their design and how they play. And so I was hoping that there would be a marked difference in how Unearthed played compared to the shipping maps.

There is.
Perhaps we can look forward to moving about the map a bit more rather than holding up by an ammo crate/ health packs. That said, I'm really looking forward to finally getting into some vehicle combat in FF. Which is something I've purposefully avoided to date.

Miggytronz

I really cant wait for these maps though, especially the Vehicle based Firefight map. ODST had that one map with the two Worthogs that added so much more fun to Firefight. Lots of LuLz were had playing ODST Firefight. Good times.

lybertyboy said:
Feels like there's rain on the way.

I feel like im stuck in the desert. Congrats to anyone that felt the rain, I presume doing a raindance is pointless right now?

When are the maps officially out again?

Havok

Mikasangelos said:
I really cant wait for these maps though, especially the Vehicle based Firefight map. ODST had that one map with the two Worthogs that added so much more fun to Firefight. Lots of LuLz were had playing ODST Firefight. Good times.
I'm really curious to know how the rocket Hog works on the map. It's a nightmare on Beachhead, but I wonder if it's a symptom of the map or the vehicle.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
I'm really curious to know how the rocket Hog works on the map. It's a nightmare on Beachhead, but I wonder if it's a symptom of the map or the vehicle.
I haven't used it on Unearthed yet - just played solo - but I strongly dislike the Rocket Hog. That said, I think a large part of the problem on Beachhead for the Hog is the map itself; it's just not open enough to be a good vehicle map, and it rewards turtling up too much. Unearthed has a terrific circuit running through it; think Rat's Nest meets High Ground. So I'll certainly be giving it a shot.

There's exactly one design decision - small but impactful - that I'm concerned about. We'll see if it has the impact I think it will.

Okay, I'll shut up with the nebulous non-comments now. Honest.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
I haven't used it on Unearthed yet - just played solo - but I strongly dislike the Rocket Hog. That said, I think a large part of the problem on Beachhead for the Hog is the map itself; it's just not open enough to be a good vehicle map, and it rewards turtling up too much. Unearthed has a terrific circuit running through it; think Rat's Nest meets High Ground. So I'll certainly be giving it a shot.

There's exactly one design decision - small but impactful - that I'm concerned about. We'll see if it has the impact I think it will.

Okay, I'll shut up with the nebulous non-comments now. Honest.
I figured as much. Beachhead is very oddly designed for something with so many vehicles on it. The Rocket Hog and Concussion Rifle (particularly in the campaign for the Conc Rifle) seem to have the same issue, as far as I can tell: the damage that they do don't match up to A) the physics impulses for the blasts, and B) the actual audio/visual effects of the shots. They seem like they should be doing devastating damage on the surface, and end up feeling very ineffective as a result (how did that jackal survive a direct hit, exactly?).

GhaleonEB said:
Unearthed has a terrific circuit running through it; think Rat's Nest meets High Ground.
Excellent. Sounds like a lot of fun. I could see some fun moments playing out in firefight because of that.

I'm really looking forward to checking out the skyboxes and seeing some if the community art.

And while we're on the rain jokes, everyone knows that the best kind of rain is Purple Rain.

Havok said:
I figured as much. Beachhead is very oddly designed for something with so many vehicles on it. The Rocket Hog and Concussion Rifle (particularly in the campaign for the Conc Rifle) seem to have the same issue, as far as I can tell: the damage that they do don't match up to A) the physics impulses for the blasts, and B) the actual audio/visual effects of the shots. They seem like they should be doing devastating damage on the surface, and end up feeling very ineffective as a result (how did that jackal survive a direct hit, exactly?).
The same reason Marines don't lose half of their body from a single Plasma Rifle shot: willing suspension of disbelief. There are going to be unrealistic inaccuracies for the sake of better gameplay. I think the Concussion Rifle got its damage reduced, actually.

Also, idea: second Forge World should also be on a Halo, but based on the AotCR area. Make Covenant architecture the primary feature and have Forerunner stuff take a backseat to it.

minasodaboy said:
Excellent. Sounds like a lot of fun. I could see some fun moments playing out in firefight because of that.

I'm really looking forward to checking out the skyboxes and seeing some if the community art.

And while we're on the rain jokes, everyone knows that the best kind of rain is Purple Rain.

1237576401_prince_does_not_aprove.gif

Flipyap

Havok said:
And yet, when AIs use those stupid things, they seem quite effective.
I hate that thing. Both using and getting shot in the face with.

JonCha

Major Williams said:
I know it's 3-4 pages back, but I feel compelled to make a list of things that 343 could realistically get wrong here.

- Revamped physics make for clunkier game play.
- 1 powerful rifle that overpowers the game and improperly balances it
- A worse cross hair/reticule that is static but there is still bloom behind the scenes
- AA that gives you more powerful bullets
- Multiple splazers on all BTB maps
- Have the announcer announce literally everything (i.e. HEADSHOT, SHOTGUN KILL, BANSHEE FLYING, TANK STOLEN, etc) that would get annoying real quick
- etc etc

There's lots that could go wrong here.

Is this speculation, or a leaked list or something?

Miggytronz

Havok said:

Its the MAP. Beachhead is too cluster fucked to do anything productive with a vehicle.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
I figured as much. Beachhead is very oddly designed for something with so many vehicles on it The Rocket Hog and Concussion Rifle (particularly in the campaign for the Conc Rifle) seem to have the same issue, as far as I can tell: the damage that they do don't match up to A) the physics impulses for the blasts, and B) the actual audio/visual effects of the shots. They seem like they should be doing devastating damage on the surface, and end up feeling very ineffective as a result.
Yup, I think that's exactly right. Plus, the Rocket Hog's shots have a random spread element, so you can't aim them precisely. So instead of trying to mow down a group of Grunts, you just sort of carpet bomb the area and hope for the best. But much of the time, after the smoke clears, everyone is fine, and they just got knocked around a bit.

What's odd with the Concussion Rifle is it has the dynamic you describe when the player uses it, but not when it's used against the player by the AI. It's devastating, and kills in a few hits. But you just knock Grunts around like a pinball with the thing.

Which gives me an opportunity to vent about a side effect of the Concussion Rifle: the explosion impact cancels sprint. Which means if I get tagged by a drop ship's gun, my sprint is cancelled, there's a momentary stun, and more often than not I get tagged again until I'm dead. In effect, it has a stun/juggle to it. It's the single most frustrating aspect of Firefight.

I remember in one of the last Bungie podcasts, Sage was talking about the drop ship turrets, wondering if he'd pushed them too far. Yes, yes he did.

Havok

Zee-V70 said:
The same reason Marines don't lose half of their body from a single Plasma Rifle shot: willing suspension of disbelief. There are going to be unrealistic inaccuracies for the sake of better gameplay. I think the Concussion Rifle got its damage reduced, actually.

Also, idea: second Forge World should also be on a Halo, but based on the AotCR area. Make Covenant architecture the primary feature and have Forerunner stuff take a backseat to it.
Sure, but that's not the point I was making. The effectiveness of the weapon doesn't match up to its presentation. It might be hilarious in Men in Black when the tiny gun makes a giant explosion and throws Will Smith into the car, but when the reverse is presented, it's not very fun to the player. If the weapon's damage doesn't merit a giant explosion, then why have one in the first place?
GhaleonEB said:
Yup, I think that's exactly right. Plus, the Rocket Hog's shots have a random spread element, so you can't aim them precisely. So instead of trying to mow down a group of Grunts, you just sort of carpet bomb the area and hope for the best. But much of the time, after the smoke clears, everyone is fine, and they just got knocked around a bit.

What's odd with the Concussion Rifle is it has the dynamic you describe when the player uses it, but not when it's used against the player by the AI. It's devastating, and kills in a few hits. But you just knock Grunts around like a pinball with the thing.

Which gives me an opportunity to vent about a side effect of the Concussion Rifle: the explosion impact cancels sprint. Which means if I get tagged by a drop ship's gun, my sprint is cancelled, there's a momentary stun, and more often than not I get tagged again until I'm dead. In effect, it has a stun/juggle to it. It's the single most frustrating aspect of Firefight.

I remember in one of the last Bungie podcasts, Sage was talking about the drop ship turrets, wondering if he'd pushed them too far. Yes, yes he did.
I seem to remember that from the Waterfront Firefight gameplay video. And I'm glad its not just me that seems to think there's a disconnect in those weapons. Its one of the reasons I really dislike dropship spawns in Firefight, with the side annoyance of everyone just throwing grenades at the ground where the enemies drop :/

edit:
Mikasangelos said:
http://i32.tinypic.com/25j8cc0.png
I don't get it :(

Miggytronz

Havok said:
Sure, but that's not the point I was making. The effectiveness of the weapon doesn't match up to its presentation. It might be hilarious in Men in Black when the tiny gun makes a giant explosion and throws Will Smith into the car, but when the reverse is presented, it's not very fun to the player. If the weapon's damage doesn't merit a giant explosion, then why have one in the first place?

I seem to remember that from the Waterfront Firefight gameplay video. And I'm glad its not just me that seems to think there's a disconnect in those weapons.

25j8cc0.png

vhfive

Why do people want a covie themed forge world? All covie architecture is rounded and purple. I don't think that would make for good forging at all. I have many ideas for what they can do for a new forge world maybe I'll write them all down Ghaleon style after PAX.

Crucio

Mikasangelos said:
Its the MAP. Beachhead is too cluster fucked to do anything productive with a vehicle.

I disagree, you just need to keep to the sides of the map and camp the spawns. Especially in a Wraith, you should never be in the middle, you'll get surrounded.

Miggytronz

Crucio said:
I disagree, you just need to keep to the sides of the map and camp the spawns. Especially in a Wraith, you should never be in the middle, you'll get surrounded.

Thats pretty obvious though. I usually stay within the confinds of the Main Building and pick off what i see. now if a HUNTER gets in there.....well im fucked.

Crucio

Mikasangelos said:
Thats pretty obvious though. I usually stay within the confinds of the Main Building and pick off what i see. now if a HUNTER gets in there.....well im fucked.

Yeah, I've had some good runs with Wraiths, usually on the left side (From Spawn). If I need to go to the right I use the path along the beach.

vhfive said:
Why do people want a covie themed forge world? All covie architecture is rounded and purple. I don't think that would make for good forging at all. I have many ideas for what they can do for a new forge world maybe I'll write them all down Ghaleon style after PAX.
For me it's as simple as an aesthetic change to forged maps. And if one person forges a proper midship remake, well then for me it's money well spent :)
EDIT: Would love to peruse you thoughts on Forge world 2.0

GhaleonEB

Genesis Knight said:
Is there a Firefight mode that imitates ODST's settings exactly?
You can get very, very close, via the custom setting options. There are two exceptions:

In ODST, you had the rack of spare pistols and SMGs, which would respawn between Rounds. In Reach, ammo crates are all or nothing. To simulate ODST, I'd start with max spare ammo, but no ammo crates. And include Elite Heretics in the mix each Round for some UNSC weapon refills.

The other is how far the Sets can be customized. Reach lets you customize three Sets, after which the progression resets to the first. In ODST, they progressed until eventually all skulls were on, IIRC around the sixth or seventh set. I'm pretty sure I never got past the 4th.

There are some very big differences in how the AI is organized and how they behave, though, which makes Reach much easier. In some ways more fair, but certainly much easier. It's one reason I prefer Legendary Limited to normal.

I've been meaning to write an article about Firefight in Reach. Think I'm going to draft a quick outline now...

Havok

Genesis Knight said:
Is there a Firefight mode that imitates ODST's settings exactly?
In matchmaking, Limited is the closest. You can set an infinite length game up yourself, but you'll have to find friends yourself (hey, just like ODST, right?) and you'll have a resupply point instead of weapon racks.

Edit: what Ghaleon said.

Crucio

Can the "Ordnance" drops be customized? If so, it would make ODST like gameplay a lot that much closer. The problem is that there is no SMG in Reach therefore true ODST Firefight is impossible!

Miggytronz

ODST Firefight imo just feels right. It was loads of fun compared to Reach's version. There was just that added level of intensity when the Cheiftans got fucking smart and pushed you to your limits.

GhaleonEB

Crucio said:
Can the "Ordnance" drops be customized? If so, it would make ODST like gameplay a lot that much closer. The problem is that there is no SMG in Reach therefore true ODST Firefight is impossible!
Nope. The Firefight settings are vast, but there are three I wish I could alter:

The contents of the ordnance drops.

What vehicles spawn. I know we can't alter the location, but being able to toggle them would be nice (looking at you, Rocket Hog).

How frequently Hazards appear. Right now each Wave (except boss Waves) have a probability of a hazard appearing (vehicle, drop pod, sniper). I'd like to alter the probability of that happening to rare, normal and always.

GhaleonEB said:

I don't think the drop ship turrets were that bad but the stun effect of the concussion rifle is truly annoying. I remember when I first started up Reach and was playing campaign wondering why the new covenant weapons were so ineffective. It wasn't till I played online that I realized the weapons were extremely weak compared to their sound effects.

Crucio said:
I prefer ODST's firefight to Reach for it's survival-like aspect and because I like the general mechanics of ODST's weapon sandbox more. The automag was amazing but you really needed to take it out of your arsenal in many moments if you wanted to survive where-as in reach you always need a DMR and only plasma weapons for elite and something heavy for hunters

Top Bottom