• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dani said:
Gracias dude.
No problem, enjoy.
xxjuicesxx said:
Yea, I can't believe we lost one! good thing we got revenge the next game though. I think I need two more days in the Arena, you and shadow gotta help me, maybe youll get moved up GOLD
Yeah, be sure to be on more around this time I'll be sure to throw you an invite.

Tawpgun

Hey You said:

Trying those settings out when I get home tommorow. Just from looking at them they seem awesome.

EDIT: Read over the thread.

Grenades are even STRONGER with these settings, but Jeremiah maintains that the upped mobility makes them easier to avoid.

The only part of the sandbox that breaks with these settings is the sniper. Apparently its a 1 shot kill anywhere on the body if they have 1 or more shots on them.

They could just limit sniper ammo I guess... I dunno.

A27 Tawpgun said:
The only part of the sandbox that breaks with these settings is the sniper. Apparently its a 1 shot kill anywhere on the body if they have 1 or more shots on them.

They could just limit sniper ammo I guess... I dunno.

Umm isn't that how the sniper works no matter what playlist? Once they have a little damage a one shot anywhere kills.

Striker

How would grenades be stronger, necessarily? I mean if you're in a tight corridor, i.e. Reflection's top room or in the library in Lockout, you might feel the heat. But with the higher movement it should be easier to evade such grenades.

I have the gametype setting already saved - just needed to change the melee modifier (some on the thread want it to be 75% "like" MLG).

The classic settings are awesome. :)

I salivate at a playlist with a mixture of Old School Halo 2 style assault, 2-Flag, Team Slayer....

Roll on the April update. :)

Plywood said:
It definitely works better for smaller playlist than for larger, because I have Anchor 09 pop up often in Doubles and every now and then in Team Slayer for example.

Oddly hasn't really been the case for me. I would think that Team Slayer only being 4v4 and having very high populations would mean that DLC would come up more often, but I have seen more DLC in Invasion and Multiteam, which have 4 more players and much lower populations.

With that said, DLC in any playlist is still extremely rare for me. :/

Classic settings looks cool, I look forward to that playlist, especially with the possibility of classic Halo maps.

Nutter

So we tried the new settings (which I quickly set up) on Condemned, and needless to say I think every one enjoyed those games, hell we even tried the new settings plus the old school CTF rules on Highlands and it too was fun. :)

I have also gone ahead and created the old Halo 2, 1 bomb gametype. Which we can test on saturday in customs.

Annnnd.... I am also done with the achievements, wohoo.

\o/ I have XBL in my new apartment finally! Played my first matches of multiplayer since January 9th with Hydranockz (before promptly falling asleep due to mid-term study).

Glad to be back :)

JonCha

When 343 takes over, will be interesting to see if any of these Classic settings make into vanilla Reach.

Also looking forward to the Classic playlist. If it stops people sprinting and then getting kills with a double beatdown, I'm sold.

wwm0nkey

JonCha said:
When 343 takes over, will be interesting to see if any of these Classic settings makes into vanilla Reach.

Looking forward to the Classic playlist. If it stops people sprinting and then getting kills with a double beatdown, I'm sold.
Classic NEEDS to replace Vanilla Reach. It really is just so much better.

Zeouterlimits said:
\o/ I have XBL in my new apartment finally! Played my first matches of multiplayer since January 9th with Hydranockz (before promptly falling asleep due to mid-term study).

Glad to be back :)

Must be nice to be back online. I'd hate to not have Live, I've been on the service for 8 years now.

Striker

If there's a chance for 8v8, there needs to be CTF game at Coagulation. It plays brilliantly.

The Noble Creek map was ok - bases seemed rather open inside, but seemed shorter on the outside. Overall it was pretty solid.

On my 360 I got a Lockout, Elongation, Coagulation, and a Midship map.

Classic settings are really fun but not perfect. Grenades are really powerful. I think starting with only 1 is a must or make them pickups entirely. And the sniper takes you down to 1 bar of health if you get a body shot so you can follow up with a shot anywhere for the kill. Kinda lame but I wouldn't want to give up the 4 shot kills. Other than that, good stuff so far. Definitely an improvement over vanilla Reach.

equil

Im at work right now, but anyone can add me aswell.
I've been slacking with my online reach time since bulletstorm and killzone 3 came out, but Ill be on alot more often.

add me.
GT: Annihilator

If you want a german dude in your FL, then you could add me aswell:
Gamertag is Hypertrooper (Yep. it is the same name like here and on twitter)

@DefiantMapPack User: Can we meet up for a 8vs8 CTF match? I hope, we'll find that amount of person to try it out. :)

Hypertrooper said:
If you want a german dude in your FL, then you could add me aswell:
Gamertag is Hypertrooper (Yep. it is the same name like here and on twitter)

@DefiantMapPack User: Can we meet up for a 8vs8 CTF match? I hope, we'll find that amount of person to try it out. :)

Get me a code and I'm there.

Seriously. ;)

And, yeah I'll add you.

EDIT: Added you too Annihilator.

Tawpgun

Man, all this early map pack stuff reminds of of when I had no school when Legendary maps came out, and I remember how there was no BTB DLC playlist to bust open Avalanche, so we ended up scouring everywhere and getting 16 players for a flag match on Avalanche. So good.

Once tuesday rolls around we need to organize an 8 v 8 match on Highlands since matchmaking probably won't deliver. I don't want to wait until custom saturdays....

These classic settings work really well. After playing reach for so long the classic jumping feels so different. But then again every other halo game has floaty jumps as well so it shouldn't take long to re-adapt considering Halo 3 was the shooter I played primarily for the last 3 years.
It feels similar to MLG in the way beatdowns are a lot weaker, but it feels a lot easier to get kills with the sniper now. I don't mind that considering the DMR is a lot more useful now but being shot by a sniper after taking a dmr hit or two is a guaranteed kill now and with the lack of sprint there's going to be a lot less running away from battles now. Heck even with sprint you'll probably be screwed.

Also grenades feel like Halo 2/3's now almost. Grenade+Dmr shot=instant kill. So beautiful to use and with the fast paced movement and jump speed it's actually easier to avoid now then it was previously so it's not too overpowered(unless your playing the vanilla tight corridor maps)

Tawpgun

The sniper is a power weapon so I don't see it being too much of a problem. My concern is the grenades. They are part of the Tripod (or faulty table now) and need to be in the game. Are they really too powerful?

My problems with Reach have always been Armor Lock, Grenades, and Vehicle health.

They made the grenades seemingly just as powerful as the Halo CE grenades. Our movement and jump height is also similar to CE. The difference is the CE grenades had a longer fuse and and were easier to avoid. Reach grenades have the same fuse as the Halo 2/3 ones, and they are more powerful, and player movement isn't fast enough to avoid them without a mobility AA.

Do the grenades really kill the classic settings? Because I remember begging for 1 grenade starts, and then we got Arena Season 4 (I believe) and it was glorious. No more grenade spamming. And if you did nade spam you deserved it for getting those extra grenades. People didn't just lob grenades everywhere, you had to know when to use it. I would be totally for the Classic playlist to have 1 grenade starts.

Having 1 grenade starts reduces the problem but doesn't eliminate it's strength. I think map design that is tailored to the settings is the only way to balance it. That's why I'm gonna rely on the custom-made forge maps more.

But like you said the vehicles are going to take even more damage now from grenades. That's something that probably can't be balanced at all unless there was a TU(title update) that effected the whole Reach engine. The reason being is that vehicles already were easy to destroy because almost every weapon in the sandbox worked well against them. So increasing the damage is just going to further impact it now. But for now I think I'd rather take classic non-vehicle slayer over vanilla reach and just go to Reach BTB when I want vehicles.

LosDaddie

Banned
GGs last night, Mikasangelos.

Shame you got lagged out the first game, and then, even worse, we got slaughtered the next game. :( Hopefully we can get up again this weekend.

Domino Theory said:
I'm sure another storm will hit on Tuesday. :)

Kid_Praying.jpg

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Congrats to those who got codes, I'm gonna start playing more Reach than I usually do again instead since I want to get back into shooters that at least are more consistent online.

I'll be waiting for impressions on Monday!

JonCha

May pop on Reach later this evening (UK) to try out the settings if anyone is around.

Will also get Beyond Good and Evil HD if any codes are going. ;-)

Ramirez

Plywood said:
I've got one, pming you now.

GG to Ram and Juices, fun games.

I was sucking massive amounts of dick. I had been driving from like 7 AM to 7 PM though, so I'll blame it on that plus playing with no sound due to the baby sleeping. :p

Hey You

I wouldn't mind a Classic Team Flag Playlist.

I miss playing Avalanche and Standoff for CTF over and over again when Team Flag came around.

Willeth

Hey You said:
I wouldn't mind a Classic Team Flag Playlist.

I miss playing Avalanche and Standoff for CTF over and over again when Team Flag came around.
I just miss Avalanche full stop. I loved that map.

The only problem was the entire team rushing for the Ghost.

Miggytronz

LosDaddie said:
GGs last night, Mikasangelos.

Shame you got lagged out the first game, and then, even worse, we got slaughtered the next game. :( Hopefully we can get up again this weekend.

ha yeah that shit pissed me off. Def catch up again.

Top Bottom