• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

witness

Lingitiz said:
Well I actually love invasion it just got really repetitive to be playing the same thing over and over. BTB slayer on breakpoint was terrible with the banshees as well. Will there be a dedicated playlist for unearthed?

Hope so cause I'm having a hell of a time getting a game on it in the firefight arcade =(

MrBig

MrBig said:
Defiant customs tonight? I'm whipping up a special something on Highlands that I haven't played since Halo 3, since it hasn't been possible.
'ello my precious

jenga.jpg

It's been too long.

Just tested with Gui etc, needs tweaking. Should be ready for customs this weekend.

Lingitiz said:
Well I actually love invasion it just got really repetitive to be playing the same thing over and over. BTB slayer on breakpoint was terrible with the banshees as well. Will there be a dedicated playlist for unearthed?
Didn't want you to get left on the bottom of the last page there. Although I havn't been able to play yet today, from what I gather Unearthed can be found in Matchmaking Fire Fight including solo Score Attack. It's just a matter of voting through the offerings until it shows up. As for a dedicated playlist for it, as nice as it would be during the inaugural few weeks to have such a thing I don't think it's happening. Over the weekend I had very little trouble finding Score Attack games on it.

Lingitiz

Account Attempt #4 said:
Didn't want you to get left on the bottom of the last page there. Although I havn't been able to play yet today, from what I gather Unearthed can be found in Matchmaking Fire Fight including solo Score Attack. It's just a matter of voting through the offerings until it shows up. As for a dedicated playlist for it, as nice as it would be during the inaugural few weeks to have such a thing I don't think it's happening. Over the weekend I had very little trouble finding Score Attack games on it.
Hmm thanks for the info. Still really debating about picking this up, but i've never missed a Halo map pack so I have a feeling I ultimately will. Been wanting to spend more time with firefight too so the new map seems like a great place to start.

blamite

MrBig said:
'ello my precious

It's been too long.

Just tested with Gui etc, needs tweaking. Should be ready for customs this weekend.
Yesssssssss
Jenga was so much fun in Halo 3.
Glad to see it's finally back. :D

Anybody else notice the slight changes to B.net's page tabs at the top?

A27 Tawpgun said:
Also, Classic 8 v 8 BTB Customs. Please?

Yeah, sorry about earlier. Massive headache.

I took the longest nap ever.

I'll be down to play in a few minutes.

neclas

Ok, maybe I'm out of the loop or something and this occurs on every map, but I just played a 1-bomb game on Condemned and while on defense there was absolutely no indicator of where our base was. This wasn't a problem most of the match, but when you spawn in the center core, it's extremely disorienting. Ugh.

Stockpile on Highlands is absolutely fantastic! I think Stockpile is an alright gametype on it's own, but it really shines on Highlands. It's a great map for Objective period, too bad Assault doesn't show up in MM. (At least from what I've seen.)

Condemned is also great, but it seems like it would be a bit large for standard 4v4. Even 6v6 I seem to wander around the outer perimeter looking for the other team occasionally. Though the action in the middle has gotten quite intense at times, and the low grav dynamic works very well on the map I think.

I've yet to try out Unearthed, and I'm not really in the mood to head into Score Attack just to try my luck at taking it for a test drive. I may make a Custom Game with it later on and fool around, or I might join you all.

If there's space and I'm not playing Red Dead Redemption I'll join you all in some Customs or FF.

GT - theUnjust

I'm down for whatever games you all have going on.

Send me an invite please, since none of my amigos are playing halo.

GT: The Coo1dude the "1" is a number one.

Hey You

The Defiant Playlist has Tempest and Breakpoint in it. It only shows up if everyone in the game has both DLC's. If not, its just Defiant maps.

Some quick Defiant impressions:

Highlands - An instant classic and probably the best BTB map to date. Blood Gulch meets Valhalla with some Tempest aesthetics for good measure. While there's plenty of open space for vehicular carnage the map also offers plenty of options for players to navigate their way around the map on foot. Haven't had a game of CTF on it yet but I'm pretty sure it's a blast.

Condemned - A tad larger than I had expected and much more complex than say an Anchor 9 but still an excellent addition to Reach MP. With the subtle nuances and multiple pathways the gameplay flows quite nicely. Loving the dynamic added with the low gravity room which IMO was implemented much better here than on Anchor 9. Interested to see how CTF works on this map.

Unearthed - Haven't had a full fledged 4 player FF session on it yet but from the couple of games I did play I'd say it's probably the best FF map to date. Can't wait to be able to finally drive around and dispatch of some covey bastards with the trusty rocket hog without having to worry about the damned thing flipping over and/or getting bombarded by a crap load of plasma grenades.

Still on the fence about dropping 800 points for only 2 MP maps and a FF map but there's no denying the level of quality from the guys at 343.

Now all that's needed is a classic "Forsaken Map Pack" DLC complete with Chiron (more enclosed spaces), Backwash (re-rendered fog effects for extra thickness) and Isolation (more evolved flood contaminated terrain for added stickiness). Let's do this fellas ;-)

GT: lx STYLZ xl if you guys are in need of someone for Defiant customs.

Crucio

Nice! Finally got some Defy codes and played a handful of matches tonight.

I am loving Highlands. This is truly a map for the ages, based on deeper Halo fiction and painted with great depth, its beautiful and deadly. The flow of CTF games is unlike I've ever seen,quite contrary to my expectations of that game type in the map.

My first game on Defiant Map Pack was BTB Snipers on Highlands. I feel so at ease with the sniper on this map for a reason I have yet to explain.

Condemned feels like a rough and tough map. I agree that it has that "The Pit" feel. I think its well suited for hardcore CTF and the like, with lots of strategic options and hiding spots. It feels like really large space, especially while running flags.
Moving along the map as a team in Slayer variants is a must in my opinion, if you scatter your team you'll get caught without prompt reinforcements due to long walk times unless one chooses to cut through the low gravity center, which I think is a death pit.

Overall those two maps are glorious works of art and masterful displays of design. Really blends well with Reach's game play.
I'm looking forward to picking nuggets out of them and exploring the art.

Unearthed will have to wait until tomorow!

Had fun on Defiant maps today.

Haven't been playing with GAF at all though. I will always be down for customs or GAF MM parties. Feel free to invite/ send FR.

GT: Steelyuhas5

Tawpgun

I will go on record saying Highlands is a map deserving of being in Halo 2. It has that same quality.

With ONE problem. Too many power weapons respawning way to fast. Honestly, it might not even be the number of them, it's their respawns that need tweaking. I constantly see like 4 snipers and 2 lasers at the same time.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I will go on record saying Highlands is a map deserving of being in Halo 2. It has that same quality.

With ONE problem. Too many power weapons respawning way to fast. Honestly, it might not even be the number of them, it's their respawns that need tweaking. I constantly see like 4 snipers and 2 lasers at the same time.

They spawn really fast. Slayer has dynamic spawns, so players often do not spawn in their own base or very close to it, so whenever I die there is almost always new rockets and sniper in the base for me to snag.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Highlands is great, but yeah the power weapons are far too frequent. If there are still power weapons in play, the respawn timer shouldn't start. Either that, or make the respawn time of the weapons three times longer while there are some still in the field of play. If the weapons de-spawn, or the ammo has been exhausted, THEN start the normal respawn timer.

Letters said:
Just played with this dude
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/default.aspx?player=TubbierPig05973

He was an Inheritor (max rank, the one with the shooting star) in-game but on Bnet he's a Captain with skull helmet. What?

New maps are amazing, but Defiant playlist is annoying with the load failures, I wish it would at least point to whoever the fuck is failing so the rest of us can tell him to get his shit together. And Reach default is :(

HAX!!!

Also, haven't experienced this load failure in the playlist that you guys are having.

A27 Tawpgun said:

The problem with power weapons in Reach is not only their spawn time. It's that the normal weapons were made even weaker in a game where everything else can kill you instantly. This was a small issue in Halo 2, a bigger issue in Halo 3 and now it's even more retarded in Reach. Why? Armor lock, sprint, and bloom... It completely eliminates the enjoyment of close quarters combat. You either have a power weapon, melee someone to death, or get killed by someone else's grenade.

At the end of every game I see that the majority of kills by players is, either, a power weapon, grenades, or melee. What does that say about Reach? Bloom is annoying, and I griped to everyone about it until people wanted me to get run over by a truck, but the gap between power weapons and weapons like the pistol, DMR, and needle rifle is off the charts, only exacerbated more by the abilities of sprint and armor lock.

A lot of people did not like the jetpack, but at least it doesn't make you invincible or allow you to sprint away from close-encounters (the ones where you don't even have time to get off the 5th or 6th shot). Ramirez wanted more arena-like maps, but for the life of me I don't know why. Halo is no longer about quick shooting or exciting close-encounters...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hydranockz said:
There it is again. The perfect opportunity to say there is no armour in the game outside of the DLC, in the next year or even ever again in the lifespan of Reah... and yet... they say so little.

It's lke that ole advertising technique where one product is shown but the accessories are sold seperately. Now, say Defiant is our product and this armor or whatever is an accessory. 343i have only ever stated you do not get armour with the product.

I don't even like armour all that much :p I am just open minded. Wasn't there a time when Frankie was very tight lipped about some Halo related hapenings. What's to say that isn't the case now? :p

There is no hidden armor in the files. Or any other shenanigans. Except a spare moon. The map pack part deux is bigger because it has some more redundant files to eliminate errors and stuff.

TrounceX

So anyone on GAF running the Defiant playlist? Someone should toss me an invite if they have a spot. I just feel like kicking back and playing something less serious for once :)

GT is "Trounce"

Also I posted here once before and never followed up with it but Tashi we should play sometime, not sure if you've heard of me but I've been around MLG for years with some solid placings. Always looking for more people to run playlist with.

Top Bottom