• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

OuterWorldVoice said:
There is no hidden armor in the files. Or any other shenanigans. Except a spare moon. The map pack part deux is bigger because it has some more redundant files to eliminate errors and stuff.

10_Dream_Crusher!.png

DREAM CRUSHER!

Tawpgun

I believe what 343 is saying now, that there is no armor in Defiant.

So... are we ever going to get an explanation as to what we saw?

Lazslo

TrounceX said:
So anyone on GAF running the Defiant playlist? Someone should toss me an invite if they have a spot. I just feel like kicking back and playing something less serious for once :)

GT is "Trounce"

Also I posted here once before and never followed up with it but Tashi we should play sometime, not sure if you've heard of me but I've been around MLG for years with some solid placings. Always looking for more people to run playlist with.
Whoa big shot in the house. To play with Tashi you have to get by me first. I'm kind of a big deal also so bring the pain.

Decom said:
Not unless your forge them to.

You can forge them to though correct?

On the disc maps, only Boneyard, Prire, and Forge World could support Invasion. I couldn't create a forge variant on Sword Base (as far as I'm concerned). All the Noble maps supported Invasion though. I can create an Invasion gametype on Anchor 9 even though it wouldn't typically be considered an Invasion map (I did actually see a few cool Invasion setups on A9).

Thermite

This DLC playlist feels like it really should have been 8v8. 6v6 makes Highland seem extremely barren. I feel like it takes literally minutes to encounter someone. Condemned also kind of feels like it could easily support 16 players at once without feeling overly crowded.

Also, there's far too many power/anti-vehicle weapons on Highlands. It feels completely pointless to get a Warthog or Ghost going as you're practically giving the other team free kills. At the very least, the weapon respawn timers on Highlands need to be tweaked. In one of the matches I played earlier, there were four different people on my team that had a sniper at once (Eazy, Ram, Nutter, and myself) and then one other guy on the opposite team had a sniper, too. Come on...that's ridiculous. :/

Ramirez

So, pretty much every game of Condemed revolves around running to the middle zero g area and fighting over and over, lol, so dumb. As Thermight said, Highlands is too big for 6v6...

I really hope the next map pack focuses on small maps, BTB is easily the weakest aspect of Reach (IMO), the vehicle sandbox is just so bad, and DMRs make moving around a big map a complete pain. I know it won't happen, but a 5 count remake map pack of the best small maps over the years would be sublime.

Nutter

Thermite said:
This DLC playlist feels like it really should have been 8v8. 6v6 makes Highland seem extremely barren. I feel like it takes literally minutes to encounter someone. Condemned also kind of feels like it could easily support 16 players at once without feeling overly crowded.

Also, there's far too many power/anti-vehicle weapons on Highlands. It feels completely pointless to get a Warthog or Ghost going as you're practically giving the other team free kills. At the very least, the weapon respawn timers on Highlands need to be tweaked. In one of the matches I played earlier, there were four different people on my team that had a sniper at once (Eazy, Ram, Nutter, and myself) and then one other guy on the opposite team had a sniper, too. Come on...that's ridiculous. :/
Timer on weapons messed up in a halo game? you dont say....

Fix this shit bungle

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Special single-player only version of Reach on Xbox Live - removed multiplayer, removed CO-OP, doubled and tripled the price!

$50/£30/4000MSP - US
$80/£50/5920MSP - UK
$118/£75/6880MSP - Switzerland

6CudD.jpg

Multiplayer and CO-OP not removed! =P But still...

:eek:

This thread.

equil

Dani said:
Special single-player only version of Reach on Xbox Live - removed multiplayer, removed CO-OP, doubled and tripled the price!

$50/£30/4000MSP - US
$80/£50/5920MSP - UK
$118/£75/6880MSP - Switzerland

http://i.imgur.com/6CudD.jpg
Multiplayer and CO-OP not removed! =P But still...

:eek:

This thread.

That could just be a false labeling. Because i remember downloading COD4 from the dashboard and it said it didnt have multiplayer but it actually did.

Nvm...i didnt read your spoiler lol.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
equil said:
That could just be a false labeling. Because i remember downloading COD4 from the dashboard and it said it didnt have multiplayer but it actually did.

Umm obviously. =P Not the see the spoiler text? It's certainly a small mistake.
Unlike the pricing. Hah!
o_o

I understand the need to not compete with retail with major games and pricing but what's the point in doing something like this at that price point? Does or will anyone actually purchase it at those prices?

equil said:

It most definately is mislabeled. MW2, BF BC 2, CRACKDOWN 2 are also missing that as well on US mp.

Edit:Sorry I also misread and I even admit looking under spoiler tag.

Dani said:
Umm obviously. =P Not the see the spoiler text? It's certainly a small mistake.
Unlike the pricing. Hah!
o_o

I understand the need to not compete with retail with major games and pricing but what's the point in doing something like this at that price point? Does or will anyone actually purchase it at those prices?

Games on Demand is pretty much looking for those impulse or convienent buys. Its one of those "why not?" or "what's it going to hurt?" deals where they make it available for those that might want to download a game one night but don't want to go out. Its silly to try and even explain it. They aren't trying to compete with retailers but what's it hurt to make them available even if some of the prices are ridiculous.

Room service is the only stupid analogy I can come up with.

KevinRo

xxxstylzxxx said:
Now all that's needed is a classic "Forsaken Map Pack" DLC complete with Chiron (more enclosed spaces), Backwash (re-rendered fog effects for extra thickness) and Isolation (more evolved flood contaminated terrain for added stickiness). Let's do this fellas ;-)

I love the name Forsaken, because all of those maps sucked major donkey balls.

New challenges are already up?

Light Fare
Kill 100 enemies in any game mode in Reach. 1000cR

Just Hold On...
Complete 10 Rounds in Firefight Matchmaking without dying. 1750cR

L.D. Winter
Complete Winter, without dying, on Legendary with Mythic, Thunderstorm, Tilt, and Tough Luck on. 5000cR

Streaky Shooter
Earn 10 sprees in multiplayer Matchmaking. 2500cR

equil

Hypertrooper said:
New challenges are already up?

Light Fare
Kill 100 enemies in any game mode in Reach. 1000cR

Just Hold On...

L.D. Winter
Complete Winter, without dying, on Legendary with Mythic, Thunderstorm, Tilt, and Tough Luck on. 5000cR

Streaky Shooter
Earn 10 sprees in multiplayer Matchmaking. 2500cR

I think its cause of daylight savings time, or whatever.

Flipyap

Hypertrooper said:
Just Hold On...
Uh, this is a bad challenge. There will be many fuckers hiding in impossible to reach spots today.

EDIT: Yup. Got one already.

Striker

KevinRo said:
I love the name Forsaken, because all of those maps sucked major donkey balls.
They should add about 12+ more Halo 3 maps if that's that case.

Lazslo said:
On a side-note: It's kinda strange and funny that people had to Re-download DLC that Certain Affinity produced because I remember there being issues with the Blastacular DLC for Halo-2 in which a re-download had to be pushed out. It's no knock on CA, it wasn't their fault- It's just ironic and interesting.
That was due to a glitch in Tombstone with some piece of geometry, if I'm not mistaken.

Deputy Moonman said:
...but the gap between power weapons and weapons like the pistol, DMR, and needle rifle is off the charts, only exacerbated more by the abilities of sprint and armor lock.
I think Halo 1 had the most balance throughout their entire armory. Even with such a small weapon set, they all served a good purpose.

But you look at Halo 2, what did you always want your hands on? BR, if not Sniper or Rockets.

Halo 3? BR/Carbine, if not Sniper or Laser.

Reach has the same functionality with the DMR/Needle Rifle/Pistol, although the Pistol is best served for non-large areas, but is keyed into the combat superbly. That was the main issue with the weapons from previous games - the normal weapon to start with, and how weak it was.

Mojo said:
"The second one includes redundant files to ensure consistent experience across all releases."

According to alisonst
So they gave out a bunch of early codes for the pack, and then changed the file the day before release. Not impressed. I ran into a couple of matches last night where players dropped and matchmaking stalled because of load failures.

equil

HiredN00bs said:
So they gave out a bunch of early codes for the pack, and then changed the file the day before release. Not impressed. I ran into a couple of matches last night where players dropped and matchmaking stalled because of load failures.

Technically if people knew how to get a code, then they should have known that they need to download the new set.

People should catch on pretty quickly though.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HiredN00bs said:

I was really annoyed because it happened to me during my first game in the playlist and I ended up quitting a four on two 1-Flag game on a Noble map. But it didn't happen again since and I imagine there will be less and less instances going forward until it's a complete non-issue in a few days time.

Don't sweat it.

Flipyap said:
Getting it is not a problem, I just prefer to play Firefight with people who actually want to play, not hide behind a rock.

My bad Its not the challenge I thought it was. I don't recall the exact name of the challenge but it also dealt with surviving X amount of FireFight rounds without dying. I was able to get it just by playing the Score Attack games.

This one however is strange because I just played through Sniper Attack and died only once late in the game but it flashed the failed challenge pop up. In the previous one it would give me credit for several rounds completed even though I died a few times late in the game. I wasn't getting credit for any rounds a second ago. I guess they changed what constituted a round in the Score Attack games for whatever reason.

Flipyap

Mizzou Gaming said:
My bad Its not the challenge I thought it was. I don't recall the exact name of the challenge but it also dealt with surviving X amount of FireFight rounds without dying. I was able to get it just by playing the Score Attack games.

This one however is strange because I just played through Sniper Attack and died only once late in the game but it flashed the failed challenge pop up. In the previous one it would give me credit for several rounds completed even though I died a few times late in the game. I wasn't getting credit for any rounds a second ago. I guess they changed what constituted a round in the Score Attack games for whatever reason.
Firefight terms can get a bit confusing. The rectangles are waves, a dot is one round, three dots are a set. So, a full game of Score Attack is one round.

Just some first impressions from wandering around in Forge and doing some score attack:

Condemned

Gorgeous. Simple structure, high mobility, great signage ;P I like the multi-floor design, and each area has nice defensive options, yet weaker angles of attack all the same. I can see myself falling in love with this map. It has the feel of a classic.

Highlands

Reminds me of breakpoint in the sense that there is a lot to it and it'll take some serious time to exploit all the nooks and crannies to it, but I get the feeling its biting off more than it can chew. Had a few framerate chugs just wandering around, especially from the second floor of the red base. The art looks like it went through multiple layers or detail removal, which is odd but understandable as some of the sight lines can get pretty complex. And whats with Blue tower having such a commanding view over the battlefield? That blue lift also didnt have enough juice to jump me to the very top either. Regardless, I can't wait to get some nice BTB action going here. I also love the stone arch - as soon as I saw it I wanted to see a Banshee crash into it.

Unearthed

Holy shit, I haven't been fucked like that since grade school! The mishmash of open multilayered platforms means you're always getting attacked from the enemy from all sides making for some hectic Score Attack matches. Makes me really want to play this one out with a full team as its just dripping with possibility. There are even a few dead ends that almost gave me heart attacks in the heat of battle. Good work and keep em coming ;P

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Highlands is a bad stockpile map. Too big, only enemy encounters are in the middle of the map with a rare mongoose rushing the base only to get destroyed. Ended in a 10 - 10 tie. How mundane.

Highlands could be a great Elite Slayer map if they change the weapon set. Elite Slayer needs some human weapons - replace the focus rifle and plasma cannon with a human sniper rifle and grenade launcher. Highlands definitely feels like an Elite map and not a Spartan map. Just need to replace a few of the ghosts with chain gun warthogs too.

I haven't played Condemned or Unearthed yet. However, I was disappointed that Unearthed has a rocket hog instead of a chain gun hog. We already have a FF map with a rocket hog and it's a boring, worthless combination (FF + rocket hog). Hopefully the non-vehicle sections make up for that disappointment.

Pennybags

Dani said:
I was really annoyed because it happened to me during my first game in the playlist and I ended up quitting a four on two 1-Flag game on a Noble map. But it didn't happen again since and I imagine there will be less and less instances going forward until it's a complete non-issue in a few days time.

Don't sweat it.

I thought he would have posted it here by now but on HBO, Fyrewulff left these comments:

The Defiant playlist only requires Defiant, Noble is considered optional. So if you REALLY want to just play Defiant, delete Noble.

and

Or put Noble on a flash drive and remove it for the playlist (note that if you're searching as a party, only one person needs to do this)

It feels so dirty, like I'm gaming the system, but I think I'll do this. ;)

equil

Pennybags said:
I thought he would have posted it here by now but on HBO, Fyrewulff left these comments:

and

It feels so dirty, like I'm gaming the system, but I think I'll do this. ;)

I was playing like that yesterday, because one of my friends only had the defiant pack.
It was still fun even though we only had two maps to choose from, I got to experience them on multiple gametypes.

chess

Maps are good. 343/CA has my purchase support. However I'm most excited about the Classic playlist release in a few weeks. Almost as excited as the beta/game release!

Hey You

Steelyuhas said:

On the disc maps, only Boneyard, Prire, and Forge World could support Invasion. I couldn't create a forge variant on Sword Base (as far as I'm concerned). All the Noble maps supported Invasion though. I can create an Invasion gametype on Anchor 9 even though it wouldn't typically be considered an Invasion map (I did actually see a few cool Invasion setups on A9).
People have been saying the Highlands forge palette is really poor. So I doubt you would be able to forge a decent Invasion map on it.

LosDaddie said:
What's the word on the Defiant Maps, HaloGAF? You guys like them?

They're okay, I just wish more people played Halo. The playlists need fixing, the vehicles (which made Halo HALO) are wrong, the whole sandbox is just messed up.

It makes me a sad sad Halo fanboy.

GhaleonEB

Pardon the tone here, but I'm annoyed: what's the point of making a new Firefight map if you're not going to bother making it available in matchmaking? I tried a few times this morning to get it in Score Attack, and didn't, because it's just tossed into the mix with the same weighting as Waterfront. And there's no playlist devoted to it, as with the MP DLC maps. Limited and Arcade will be even more of a crap shoot than Score Attack because of players who don't have them. Unearthed is a great map, but it's just ignored in the playlists. Why?

GhaleonEB said:
Pardon the tone here, but I'm annoyed: what's the point of making a new Firefight map if you're not going to bother making it available in matchmaking? I tried a few times this morning to get it in Score Attack, and didn't, because it's just tossed into the mix with the same weighting as Waterfront. And there's no playlist devoted to it, as with the MP DLC maps. Limited and Arcade will be even more of a crap shoot than Score Attack because of players who don't have them. Unearthed is a great map, but it's just ignored in the playlists. Why?

I saw your post in Opti, and gave it a bump.

I hope its this whole transitional period between Bungie over to 343i. Surely 343i are taking over the whole show? DLC, Servers, updates, playlists? Where do we direct our ire?

I'd like some clarification from Bungie/MS on this to be honest.

neclas

Steelyuhas said:
Yes. When I go into the Forge menu and pick Invasion on both of the maps, they allow me to start the game. Condemned could actually present an interesting and close-combat invasion game, considering that the maps is just a big circle.

GhaleonEB said:
I got lucky on my one playthrough last night; got it as the final voting option. It's a really poor decision to not have the new map weigh more heavily in a playlist of one. Hell, it should be the first choice in all the Firefight playlists. This whole map pack rollout hasn't been the best.

On a positive note, Unearthed is incredible.

Fuck Elite Slayer /w Armor Lock.
Fuck Armor Lock
Fuck those who vote for it over Highlands CTF.

Oh and those framerate problems looking in to the reactor room with a sniper rifle can be a real bitch. I kind of prefer not to have to guess where my reticle is because the framerate has dropped to a fraction of what it's supposed to be.

That is all.

lies

Fix Reach (Or the Next Halo!)

1. The Engine. Halo has been using its own engine since the series began. The main problem I have with it is the frame rate. I didn’t have a problem with the frame rate until the engine hit Halo 3. Neither ODST nor Reach addressed this common problem. I absolutely did not like the changes with the engine from Halo 3 to ODST. Then Reach seemed to be a modified ODST instead of a modified Halo 3. They really need to go back to H3’s and change that for the next game. They took a wrong step and need to fix it. Fix the fucking frame rate too. I’m sick of my game slowing down if just too many things are going on on screen.

2. Understand what made Halo MP great. Halo 1 and 2 were fast paced action, ever since 2 they’ve been trying to introduce all this random crap into their games. New classic movement in Reach is trying to recapture this. Nerf the number of vehicles on every map, up their respawn time, nerf the number of various weapons, especially weapons like the concussion rifle. Remove all your armor abilities and equipment. Don’t try to add 4 different types of grenades to your game. Stop deciding after 3 Halo games that flag juggling was something people hated. You don’t get to make these decisions. Focus on some tight vanilla basic gameplay, make that fun, and go forward from there. Weapons like the concussion rifle suck. Stop making so many things that affect the screen it’s just too hard to counter weapons like that; you’re already fighting an uphill battle if you have the default go to weapons like the AR/DMR when going against a concussion rifle no need to give them more power like removing your use of aiming. It’s also jarring on the eyes and hard on the mind, in campaign its fine but leave it out of MP when you’re trying to play a game against others.

3. Understand the difference between MP and SP. An additional comment on #2 I guess. Equipment, armor abilities these things are pretty cool I guess. They go great in the campaign! And even greater in certain situations, camo at a stealth-necessary heavily-populated enemy section is cool. Just don’t put them into MP or leave them in a small specific MP section. Almost every single piece of equipment and armor ability slows down the pace of gameplay. That’s not what MP is about. Keep MP simple. If people want to play around with all that stuff they can go into co-op campaign or firefight now, it doesn’t need to be in MP.

4. A good rule of thumb is to ask What Would Halo 2 Do? The best Halo MP that had Xbox Live. Halo CE doesn’t really count.

5. Large and Small maps. Stop focusing so much on BTB (which you end up giving a SINGLE playlist!) and Firefight maps. Give us 4 really good Firefight maps at release, and 4 good BTB maps, and then give us 8 small MP maps. Halo 2 is said to have some of the greatest Halo maps. It stuck with what works 4v4 Slayer. Turf, Midship, Warlock, Reflection, Sanctuary, these maps are all so highly praised because they work great for 4v4 they are all a certain size and general shape (circle NOT long ass oval). Not to say H2 didn’t have great BTB maps too, but their small maps really shined. When big maps had one focus it was probably a lot easier, but now BTB maps also are used in FF and or Invasion sometimes. Focus on BTB, Invasion should be a secondary thought for those BTB maps.

6. Focus on player count more in maps. Maps are not specific enough or tested enough. Nowadays you make a map like Tempest and allow 4-6 player sized teams on it? Really? That map is fucking HUGE. That should never see 4v4. Same with Hemorrhage being in Team Objective. Really?! You need to set your maps and playlists a lot tighter. Don’t be afraid of making a really tight playlist that doesn’t have a lot of maps in it.

7. I’ll say it again with the Veto system. One of the problems still is you don’t know whether people are voting for the map or for the gametype. Did they want Pinnacle or did they take it because it had DMR’s? You can’t tell because they were tied together! At the voting screen show two maps that they can pick with X and Y and then two gametypes with A and B. Let them choose the two options. You only have to be careful when having playlists that have maps and gametypes that don’t work together but it’s not a huge issue especially if you follow 8.

8. Get back to basics with the Objective playlists. These playlists are constantly unattended too, and as a result end up with a low player count. Problems like Bubble Shields being in the playlists sit for way too long. This playlist needs constant attention and minor balancing after seeing what issues can be abused or what gametypes lend them to uneven fairness. A level of attention near Starcraft 2 balancing is needed here. Is there a box that you can nade to knock it over the flag making a steal impossible even after they manage to successfully get the right kills and reach your base? That needs to be taken out in the NEXT update. Not 4 later! Are flag return times too long on certain maps and not long enough on others? That requires each gametype to mind each map. If they choose Sanctuary and Multi-Flag at the voting screen load up Sanctuary Multi-flag gametype not Multi-Flag gametype.

9. Part two of #8 nerf the appearance and usage of these new gametypes like Stockpile and Headhunter. These gametypes aren’t particularly bad really. I get that they were a highlight and a new thing to come out of Reach and now have Achievements tied to them. That doesn’t mean they need to be in the spotlight, not anymore. Get back to the basics and weight Multi-Flag much higher, put back Neutral Assault. These new gametypes (stockpile and headhunter) should be tertiary game types after secondaries like One Flag and Multi-bomb. Fix up 3 plots and put it back into rotation especially into BTB.

10. Stop tying credits to just playing the game. Tying credits to wins and performance will help everyone play properly. Idling in FF ruins so many of my matches that I could be playing with real people that are also going for real kills. Previous Halo’s never had idlers being such a problem.

11. Bring back weekend playlists even if you can’t do bonus credit weekends. I want to play 3ball for a few days and then I want to play Team Flag for the next 3 days. Be generous on that weekend too Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. That’s why it’s a 3 day weekend. Good playlist to test out gametypes, especially Instagib. Run out of ideas? Run the Armory pick a new weapon to use each week. Team Needlers. Team Rockets. Team Swords. Simple. Fresh gametypes every week. A godsend to the bored players. Weekly playlist updates not possible with Reach? Make sure it is in the next game. Its MP crack it brings the numbers. This way you don’t have to make dedicated playlists for every community favorite. Grifball, Living Dead, Rocket Race are flavors of the week not permanent places, no offense, hell I love the occasional Grif and Zombies.

12. Just because I like a lot of things out of MP doesn’t mean MP has to be boring it just means you decrease the variables per gametype.

13. Separate Ranked/Social again. Don’t keep track of Social stats; make it truly a social area. This way you can have crazier gametypes that don’t break any stat keeping pages. Award credits/EXP/whatever at half the rate of Ranked for social.

14. Have a visible ranking system that doesn’t reset. If anything every month drop each playlist 1 rank. That way no one can buy a 50 and sit on it. Remove Highest Rank stat keeping (eliminating 50 black market buying). Kill the black market and keep people playing at a reasonable rate that they don’t have to invest so many games into each month. People should be allowed to get ranked on their time scale not yours. The more rules you make the less it becomes a game and the more it becomes a job.

15. I matched up with a guy who had only played one game before me...Might need to code in Trueskill Averages for players, and that effects the +- range of ranks on the actual playlist Trueskill that the player is currently searching. That would be my suggestion for Social in the next Halo game. So say a 30 Trueskill average boosts any playlist by 15 just as an example. You should get ranked against 15+ when entering a new playlist. When it’s a new playlist you’ll have the people who are legit low like between 1-20 getting stomped less often because after this high players wins like 5 or so games he’ll have moved to like 5-10 in that playlist and the +15 they have, because they’ve proven himself on average to be a better player. So they will get ranked only against 5-25. They will basically reach higher level players faster. I don’t know if I even explained that well at all but whatever. Ranked can still have its own Trueskill each playlist.

16. Go back to Halo 2’s nade physics. Plasma nade launching is so much better than Halo 3 and Reach’s “chain explosions”. Chain Explosions lead to way more “What the fuck how did I die?!”’s than Nade Launching ever did. Not only can you use it as something for skill after you learn how nade launching really works, but the showboating made custom 1v1’s and 1v1 montages.

17. Certain playlists need to be 1 player only. You can’t have groups going into Living Dead, which just screams cheating or boosting or helping others get good scores. You also need a mercenary’s playlist that doesn’t allow groups, so sick of 4 players ganging up in MM. Happens in BTB too. It’s a problem, mainly because Reach seems to do a really bad job matching parties against parties like Halo 3 did. Some people would like to enjoy the randomness of being with all 8 random players but in team games not FFA like a Rumble Pit. Currently no playlist offers this. Other games have already adopted playlists that are similar, catch up.

As for the future please take a refresher on my first article: Things the next big Halo needs a lot of them still haven’t been added or fixed and are still quite valid. Some may have been repeated in this article though. Article here: http://madefromawesome.blogspot.com/2010/02/list-of-things-next-big-halo-needs.html

Nuborn

Photolysis said:
Fuck Elite Slayer /w Armor Lock.
Fuck Armor Lock
Fuck those who vote for it over Highlands CTF.

At this time i'd rather take dino slayer, every ctf game on highlands for me has been a boring stalemate, with the other team somehow becoming a group of rocky balboas in the last minute and capturing the flag.

Top Bottom