• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

A27 Tawpgun said:
So here's something I whipped up that I'm going to use whenever someone asks something like "Why is Armor Lock so dumb? Why did Bungie do this, Why did Bungie do that." Basically anytime people complain, whether I agree or not...

Welcome to Reach

This feels more appropriate.

24dj6f7.jpg

neoism

Hey You said:
Yeah,but still talking about another halo game when it hasn't even been a year since the last one released will still put that In peoples minds.
This. Even 2012 is too short of time for REACH. I don't even want H4 until the next console. Imagine H4 as a launch title. :O

GhaleonEB

A long and sordid tale of LASO fail. If you don't want to read it all, just click on the bolded link near the end for the tl;dr version.

Due to some loving prodding by my daughter after the last two failed LASO Tip of the Spear runs (of three and then four players), we decided to try and complete it together, just the two of us. That way we don't have the issue with the Falcon in front getting toasted. We studied up on RC's latest video, and off we went.

It took some trial and error, and requires a different approach to the beginning (more in a moment on that), but we got to the rail ride. The problem is, with two player split screen, the game does not draw in the turrets until you are very close to them. You've got to memorize their location, and use the targeting reticule turning red to hit them (which I can't really do, the whole colorblind thing). Not being able to see the turrets is sort of a problem.

Still, we got to the very end when the Falcon stops (why on earth does it STOP?) for the last turrets several times.

Problem was, she hopped into the Falcon with just three red bars and no shields - I forgot to take us over to the health pack first. After half an hour, we give up for the night, and decide to try again tonight.

Here's how tonight's run went.

Since we get an AR instead of a DMR, and half the shots in the grenade launcher as single player (this is a cheap, cheap way to balance co-op, Bungie, for shame), we had to devise a different way to tackle the beginning. After running along the right side railing, we found this nook:

reach_15732623_Full.jpg

I was protected from the FRG turrets, and could jump up, fire a shot, then land and be safe. It took some practice, but I was able to take out both turrets between us and get the Rocket Hog.

No real issues until we get to the second turret.

We had a weird incident while we're chipping away at the 20+ throng of Covenant foot soldiers from long range: a Wraith starts shelling us. Problem is, we can't see from where. So we fall back, circle around, and look for it on the other side. No dice.

We dub this the Phantom Wraith, and continue on our slightly paranoid way. Later we look back on the film and see this:

Click the image above for a rendered video of what happened. Note once again that Wraiths can shoot backward when piloted by AI.

It takes us a good 20 minutes of bombarding, Nerfling and splattering to whittle the throngs down. Through the second half of it, Jorge decides to land. I have no idea why Jorge thought this was a good idea. But the Falcon is built like a rock, and while it gets beaten up, it survives. One odd thing, though - there's no pilot.

At least, it looks like there is none. The Falcon is clearly being piloted.

Click the image above for a rendered video of the Falcon getting knocked around big time.

But as I said, after over 20 minutes of shelling with the Revenant - I'd be spotter, she'd shell from long range - we killed the Hunters. Just one last Elite left.

I splatter him, and then we hop into the Falcon.

This is what happened.

There is a pilot, see. He's just invisible. And mortal.

We did this long, slow turn toward each other in disbelief when the music started. It's comic in retrospect, but it took a few minutes for us to see the humor in it.

###########

After a few minutes, we restarted and did it a third time, this time getting to the rail ride with one of us at full health and shields, the other at full health and no shields. After a good 20 minutes of trying, we still can't beat it. When ever we'd get close, one of us dies with full health. That is, we'd go from unhurt to dead instantly, while the Falcon was parked at the end as we worked the Wraiths. Twice it happened after all the turrets were down and the infantry scattered while we worked on the Wraiths. We'd just drop off dead.

Finally, we gave up. Between the random deaths, glitches and invisible turrets, it was too much. Three co-op runs to the rail ride were enough. We had some great daddy-daughter play time, bonded a bit, but that was enough. I used the save and quit method to do it solo on my gamer tag. I'll do it on hers tomorrow (she'll do most of it, I'll beat the hard parts for her).

We've earned it at this point.

darthbob

Dax01 said:
You're not drunk. Those "typos" are too obvious.

lol, I guarantee when I get on a Jaeger kick, typos from my phone are all too evident.

Still, the bright light from my monitor just nullifies any chance that I'll go forum posting under the influence.

Tunavi

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
Please tell me you saved the film of the entire game so I, and possibly Tawpgun, can make a montage of different angles to make ti more cinematic :D

yeah man I just put it on my fileshare for you.

Striker said:
Cool montage. Love seeing anything Halo2 related. Kind of wish that it didn't focus on the sniping so heavily, but seeing the maps alone brings back so many good memories. Most montages always focus on sniping and in this one it seemed to be like 70% sniping kills, 25% sticky grenade kills, and 5% everything else. I think my favorite personal moments involve clever movement, times where I'm heavily outnumbered and should have died, but don't. Half of my play style is setting up people for easier kills just by out-guessing other player's movements, especially when it involves more than one opponent. I'm definitely not pro material and so I rely heavily on getting first shots off, even though that doesn't always mean I survive. It's so gratifying "juking" people out lol. Can I even say that about matchamking? But that doesn't usually make for good montage material if people can't tell what's going on or see why I thought it was cool. Great montage none-the-less.

Ramirez said:
That's a really nice snipe, Ram! I'm usually not very effective with the sniper rifle, so I stick with the pistol/DMR/needle rifle mostly.

GhaleonEB said:
But as I said, after over 20 minutes of shelling with the Revenant - I'd be spotter, she'd shell from long range - we killed the Hunters. Just one last Elite left.

I splatter him, and then we hop into the Falcon.

This is what happened.

We did this long, slow turn toward each other in disbelief when the music started. It's comic in retrospect, but it took a few minutes for us to see the humor in it.
The Elite becomes harmless after he tries to board the Falcon. Learned that on our first play through.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
JonCha said:
Probably one of the the best montages I've ever seen. Nice to clips just run their length rather than people overediting everything.
That's usually my approach. Good clips, good music, good cuts.

Gui_PT

Willeth said:
So, ordnance weapons are sniper, laser, rockets, plasma launcher, fuel rod, right? Any I missed?

Don't even try to get it, mang. Play the game for the fun of it (former challenge whore posting here)

Kujo

lol just played BTB Bro Slayer and found a player and his guest on the other team idling, so I just kept killing the guest and he kept spawning next to him. Easiest running riot ever

Willeth said:
So, ordnance weapons are sniper, laser, rockets, plasma launcher, fuel rod, right? Any I missed?
I don't think sniper counts as I didn't get the challenge when using it.

Willeth

Gui_PT said:
Don't even try to get it, mang. Play the game for the fun of it (former challenge whore posting here)
Nah, I'll play the game how I want to. Thanks, though.

EDIT: Hah, this ended up super snarky, whoops. I like challenges, they give me a secondary objective to work on. If I'm in Big Team on Highlands, for example, I know that I can get a bonus if I use the laser instead of running around in a Ghost, so it forces me to change my playstyle and experience something new. I'm okay with that.

And yeah, the sniper doesn't count.

Willeth

Gui_PT said:
Try 1 flag on Highlands. 4 rounds and lots of rockets to get the 7 kills.
Oh, I'm not going to play something I don't want to just for the challenge, and especially not 1 Flag where I'll ruin the game by dicking off. But if I know what the weapons are, I can vote accordingly.

Willeth

A27 Tawpgun said:
Pretty sure Grenade Launcher and Concussion Rifle count as ordnance. My suggestion is Invasion.
Just got it in Highlands Big Team. If the GL does count, that makes five ordnance spawns on that map.

Merguson

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I don't recall him killing the phantom pilot on the first play through, though.

Nice game-breaking bug, and of course, it has to do with the on-rails section.

EDIT: or game-breaking design, whatever.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Plywood said:
It seems you've all drunk from the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Better than drinking from a fountain that was pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Willeth said:
Just got it in Highlands Big Team. If the GL does count, that makes five ordnance spawns on that map.

It does.

GhaleonEB said:
Lotsa Text

This is what happened.

LOL!

I wonder what would have happened if you jumped into the drivers seat? You could have flown through the rest of the mission? Hmm.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MrBig said:

I actually doubt Savior is hacking, he's probably just boosting, that's the same guy we have been keeping tabs on bud.

bobs99 ... said:
LOL!

I wonder what would have happened if you jumped into the drivers seat? You could have flown through the rest of the mission? Hmm.

I was wondering the same thing.

Did you even try that Ghal?

equil

Oh hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

Just checked my Snipers K/D and it's 2.39. That's hilarious and awesome. Anyone up for Snipers in a few mins?

Hey You

And wait what? Anyone who plays with Savior gets their commendations maxed out? Evil Otto is an employee, so I doubt he did that himself.

If its true, alot of innocent people will be getting banned/reset.

Willeth said:
I don't know if Sniper counts. But what I've heard is: Rockets,Laser,Grenade Launcher,Plasma Launcher and Focus Rifle.

neclas

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. That would have been my very first thought after witnessing this in game. I would have totally forgotten about the silly challenge.

Has anybody who has had the falcon boarded tried to pilot it?

MrBig said:
Say wut? That's a Bungie employee and he doesn't even have enough MP kills total to get some of those to onyx, even if they were his only type of kills. So... can the hacker just hack the commendations of anyone he wants to?

Tawpgun

My god. Highlands is unplayable today. More than half of the time I'm getting killed by a power weapon of some sort.

When is that damn power weapon fix coming? That map is glorious without them.

Bread

Banned
I love the Defiant pack, and it got me back into playing Firefight. When did Bungie fix the lag? I hadn't played FF for over a month before this weekend so I probably missed that update. Now that it doesn't have a second of input lag, FF is FUN.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
I was wondering the same thing.

Did you even try that Ghal?
We got a checkpoint after getting into the Falcon, and once in the gunner seat, you cannot get out (as on the rail ride). Our shooting there at the end was an attempt to find a way to suicide, which we hoped to repeat 5 times quickly to revert to the previous checkpoint. No dice.

Top Bottom