• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Bread said:
I love the Defiant pack, and it got me back into playing Firefight. When did Bungie fix the lag? I hadn't played FF for over a month before this weekend so I probably missed that update. Now that it doesn't have a second of input lag, FF is FUN.
Can't fix lag, but the game keeps a routing table of sorts to help minimize the impact in matchmade games. Doesn't do much outside of host selection for Customs, though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
We got a checkpoint after getting into the Falcon, and once in the gunner seat, you cannot get out (as on the rail ride). Our shooting there at the end was an attempt to find a way to suicide, which we hoped to repeat 5 times quickly to revert to the previous checkpoint. No dice.

Ouch, probably wouldn't have done anything for you anyway, even if you COULD enter the cockpit it probably wouldn't trigger the on rails event anyhow. You simply would have been stuck in the area preceding it.

Oozer3993

Decom said:
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. That would have been my very first thought after witnessing this in game. I would have totally forgotten about the silly challenge.

Has anybody who has had the falcon boarded tried to pilot it?

AI controlled Falcons have no pilot model. It's impossible to board any of them aside from Jun's on Winter Contingency.

Oozer3993 said:
AI controlled Falcons have no pilot model. It's impossible to board any of them aside from Jun's on Winter Contingency.

Take a look at Ghals epic post on the last page, it would be interesting to explore the possibilities of where you could go with that Falcon. I wonder if its possible to get that Elite to board that Falcon in a consistent way?

bobs99 ... said:
Take a look at Ghals epic post on the last page, it would be interesting to explore the possibilities of where you could go with that Falcon. I wonder if its possible to get that Elite to board that Falcon in a consistent way?

Probably not too far, most of the campaign missions don't have much outside the level boundaries or have soft kill barriers or invisible roofs :(. I managed to get really up high in Winter Contingency from just using nades, sprinting and jumping in the section after you meet the first set of humans and was disappointed to see an invisible wall blocking any further progress, which was strange considering the distance I had reached shouldn't have been accessible to players playing the mission in the first place.

But there has to be some secret spots left because Bungie always has a ton of Easter eggs in their games. Every egg we have seen so far involved reaching fairly simple places. Nothing so far was as complex as the method to obtain the IWHBYD skull in Halo 2/3

backflip10019 said:
Oh hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

Just checked my Snipers K/D and it's 2.39. That's hilarious and awesome. Anyone up for Snipers in a few mins?

If you ever want to play Snipers, let me know.
My sniper K/D is only 1.63. Boo.

neclas

Oozer3993 said:
I'm aware that they have no pilot model and that means it's unlikely for the player to be able to board/pilot the falcon... but surely the Halo tricking community has proven it's possible to brake plenty of game rules.

Maybe it's a little bit early to talk about the new DLC pack but the hell, I'll do it anyway.
Me and my friends were talking about a perfect DLC pack that would suite us all. We are a very deverse playgroup with one side that is very casual, big team loving and the other side more hardcore MLG like. I'm somewehere inbetween the two groups so I mostly like it all

Well, our conclusion for a pack was a small 2v2 till 4v4 map, around the size of heretic in a covenant themed setting. As 2nt, a map around the size of Last Resort for 4v4 till 8v8, this ine would be in the style of Winter Contingency.
And last, a symetrical Big team map in a city area, skyscrapers that are accesable and a Falcon to fly. The map would be like headlong so far as style goes. But that's not all for this map, one side of the symetrical part could be suitable for Invasion. The problem with Invasion maps is that they don't play out very well for other gametypes and with this concept, I think this ellement could be elimenated.
The other part of the map would just be closed of with forge objects that would be created for the map.

Oozer3993

bobs99 ... said:

Yep, I'm wrong. It's doable.

sG9jZ.jpg

I coaxed the Elite into boarding the Falcon, and then hijacked it from him.

Oozer3993 said:

sG9jZ.jpg

Whereabouts could you get by doing that? You can get the Banshees outside the Spire a little later in that level, but thats after you load the Spire so you cant backtrack the mission then, can you fly around the rest of the mission area? So even backtrack?

EDIT: I might try and get control of that falcon sometime, anychance you can post a video to show how you coaxed the Elite to jack it?

bobs99 ... said:
Whereabouts could you get by doing that? You can get the Banshees outside the Spire a little later in that level, but thats after you load the Spire so you cant backtrack the mission then, can you fly around the rest of the mission area? So even backtrack?

EDIT: I might try and get control of that falcon sometime, anychance you can post a video to show how you coaxed the Elite to jack it?

Yes, I'd love to see this to, it's a shame this probably isn't doable on Exodus since there aren't any Elites there

And, lol at the bold

GhaleonEB

Oozer3993 said:

Pretty neat, I might try that on less brutal settings to mess around. I really like Tip of the Spear when I'm not spending hours trying to get past the rail ride.

Kuroyume

Banned
No more fucking zero-g in the map packs coming or new Halo games.

Thanks.

Nothing like playing oddball on that tight space shit corridor grenade fest with rockets and swords spawning every other minute and fucking zero-g. I like that map for slayer and flag but shit oddball just sucks so much on there.

Oozer3993

bobs99 ... said:

There are invisible walls all over the place. You can't get anywhere :(. You can't go any farther into the mission and you can't go much farther back. And you're locked into the Falcon and can't get out. I'm going to try plugging in a second controller and leaving that player on the ground which will hopefully keep the "lock you in the Falcon" code from triggering and see where I can get then.

Quick tutorial on how I did it:

1. Load up Rally Point Alpha in Tip of the Spear. I put it on Normal and turned on the Thunderstorm skull to make the Elite tougher so it can survive the Pelican and Marines that it drops off.
2. Kill everything in that area (including your own Marines who get dropped in because they'll try to kill the Elite) other than the Elite. This should trigger the Falcon to drop down.
3. Hop in a Revenant (other vehicles might work too, but I used a Revenant) and push the Falcon over to the Elite (I couldn't get him to move out of the immediate area he was in so I brought the Falcon to him). This is a little tricky as the Falcon will keep trying to float back to it's waypoint and the Elite doesn't always play along. Eventually he'll hijack the Falcon.
4. Be very careful and attempt to hijack it back. The Elite should fly low to the ground to help you out, but he's very erratic (homeboy had one too many brewskies) and he will use the gun on the Falcon, which is quite powerful.

File share link of a clip:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15761407&player=Oozer3993

If anyone could render that, I would be most appreciative.

5MBQ2.jpg

AGZyd.jpg

Kuroyume

Banned
Who gives a shit? You should weep that you give a damn to correct that. And yes, I know the difference. I think the point still got across just fine.

Tawpgun

Kuroyume said:
No more fucking zero-g in the map packs coming or new Halo games.

Thanks.

Nothing like playing oddball on that tight space shit corridor grenade fest with rockets and swords spawning every other minute and fucking zero-g. I like that map for slayer and flag but shit oddball just sucks so much on there.
Or...

Make it temporary and interactive. Whatever happened to maps with interactive elements? Halo 2 shined here. Relic teleport, Terminal train, waterworks stalagmites, Zanzibar/containment gates.

In Halo 3 we had some, most notably Standoff. In reach there's nothing cool on the maps ex ept the underwhelming low g.

Jack Scofield said:
I weep that apparently nobody knows the difference between zero-g (zero GRAVITY) and reduced gravity.
So true! The low g room in Condemned is actually not all that fun. I expect to be able to jump higher but it's like Powerhouse step all over again.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Or...

Make it temporary and interactive. Whatever happened to maps with interactive elements? Halo 2 shined here. Relic teleport, Terminal train, waterworks stalagmites, Zanzibar/containment gates.

In Halo 3 we had some, most notably Standoff. In reach there's nothing cool on the maps ex ept the underwhelming low g.
I think part of the reason is potentially messing stuff up (not gameplay-wise, processing-wise) in Forge. Like, geomerging an object into Last Resort's fan could potentially cause a huge framerate drop whe the fanblade still remained "inside" the object.

Yes, I know you had no immovable objects, I used some trick involving teleporters and one of those huge containers or something like that.

Oozer3993

I tried to do the same Falcon jacking routine in co-op, but it didn't work. The Elite jacked the Falcon and then jumped right back out (oddly without a weapon in his hands) just like Ghaleon's video. But you can't get in the pilot seat :(

Alienshogun said:
No, the obvious answer is I'm American.

The name for people from Earth is Earthling, have you never seen a scifi movie?!?!

The true answer is we will be whatever our alien overlords call us, and likewise with all the stars and planets in the universe. :p

Prepare to be known as food.

P.S Don't eat the soylent green.
Ever read a comic book? Terran is incredibly popular term for star-faring races to use for us.

Tawpgun

Zee-V70 said:
I think part of the reason is potentially messing stuff up (not gameplay-wise, processing-wise) in Forge. Like, geomerging an object into Last Resort's fan could potentially cause a huge framerate drop whe the fanblade still remained "inside" the object.

Yes, I know you had no immovable objects, I used some trick involving teleporters and one of those huge containers or something like that.

Didn't stop people from trying to jam the fan in last resort. Halo 3 Forge didn't affect it's interactive elements.

Dani said:
Last Resort was great for interactivity. The bridge trigger, the wheel and the gate switch. The switch and trigger both very handy.
I remember posting on bnet way back when about the key map points. I think some employee mentioned resources or some such but it was a nice way to implement focus into a game. Sure I could steal the flag on high Grounds but capping it was so much easier with the gate opened...

Striker

The elements in Zanzibar and Relic were key for winning games in 1-flag or 1-bomb. The gate getting opened lured in a possible Ghost or allowing the Warthog to have further access to shoot. Relic's teleporter was key for quick access across the island which was necessary for the skirmish games.

MrBig

Hydranockz said:
I remember posting on bnet way back when about the key map points. I think some employee mentioned resources or some such but it was a nice way to implement focus into a game. Sure I could steal the flag on high Grounds but capping it was so much easier with the gate opened...
They wanted to give us the ability to forge triggers, switches, doors, etc., but they said they cut it because they couldn't get it to work they wanted it to.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Waterworks didn't have any interactive stalagmites.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
They wanted to give us the ability to forge triggers, switches, doors, etc., but they said they cut it because they couldn't get it to work they wanted it to.
I don't think that was quite it. They were going to include any elements they had planned for the multiplayer maps, but didn't end up using any of them. This is Tyson Greene when he was talking about Forge:

Interactive objects: Do they exist?

Open-able doors, switches, glass?

Afraid not. We ended up not using many of these at all on our maps, so we didn't spend a lot of time building them. Those that we did build were very map specific.​
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/ferrex_forgeworld_answers_20100722.html

I played through much of the LASO Challenge for my daughter - she did the ground vehicle sections, I did much of the rest - and she got nearly 16,000 cR for it thanks to today's daily Challenge for the Iron skull. She'd just gotten promoted to Captain last night, which she was very excited about. It takes 23,000 cR to get the next promotion, so that one game shot the bar 3/4 of the way there. It was pretty awesome. :lol

Hey You

Removing Headhunter and Stockpile from Team Objective would make TO a much better experience for me.

They belong in the Action Sack playlist IMO.

Tha Robbertster said:
Maybe it's a little bit early to talk about the new DLC pack but the hell, I'll do it anyway.
Me and my friends were talking about a perfect DLC pack that would suite us all. We are a very deverse playgroup with one side that is very casual, big team loving and the other side more hardcore MLG like. I'm somewehere inbetween the two groups so I mostly like it all

Well, our conclusion for a pack was a small 2v2 till 4v4 map, around the size of heretic in a covenant themed setting. As 2nt, a map around the size of Last Resort for 4v4 till 8v8, this ine would be in the style of Winter Contingency.
And last, a symetrical Big team map in a city area, skyscrapers that are accesable and a Falcon to fly. The map would be like headlong so far as style goes. But that's not all for this map, one side of the symetrical part could be suitable for Invasion. The problem with Invasion maps is that they don't play out very well for other gametypes and with this concept, I think this ellement could be elimenated.
The other part of the map would just be closed of with forge objects that would be created for the map.
I love your idea! its something i like to think about even though i cant get the last maps because i cant buy them but i always like the idea for new maps especially hours about the skyscrapers that are symetrical andd that you can fly to them it would be crazy lol you could be so high in the air and people would be on the road way below and youd fight i think invasion is dumb though so there no point in having part of the map being invasion but i dont want to be selfish so i know some people like it so maybe bungie can have a vote and see

hey that a good idea! why dont bungie have votes when you start the game that asks questions? they could ask us all sorts of things and everyone who plays online can vote so bungie would know but you can only vote once so not being selfish. and for offline people they can have you call phone number and vote through your phone as long as you have phone of course :)

is anyone making a video because i have video they could put in it if they want someone even render it in high quality so it looks extra good here it is
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=11751112&player=lakeminatonka

vhfive

Lake Minnetonka said:
I love your idea! its something i like to think about even though i cant get the last maps because i cant buy them but i always like the idea for new maps especially hours about the skyscrapers that are symetrical andd that you can fly to them it would be crazy lol you could be so high in the air and people would be on the road way below and youd fight i think invasion is dumb though so there no point in having part of the map being invasion but i dont want to be selfish so i know some people like it so maybe bungie can have a vote and see

hey that a good idea! why dont bungie have votes when you start the game that asks questions? they could ask us all sorts of things and everyone who plays online can vote so bungie would know but you can only vote once so not being selfish. and for offline people they can have you call phone number and vote through your phone as long as you have phone of course :)

is anyone making a video because i have video they could put in it if they want someone even render it in high quality so it looks extra good here it is
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=11751112&player=lakeminatonka
How old are you?

This is a serious question, I'm just curious.

PNut

Banned
Just noticed the new Bungie TV addition to the file search on BNet. Holy shit. Not sure how long it's been there but before I knew it 30 minutes had gone by.

Striker

Hey You said:
Removing Headhunter and Stockpile from Team Objective would make TO a much better experience for me.

They belong in the Action Sack playlist IMO.
Stockpile belongs on symmetrical maps; I can see it working OK on maps like Tempest, Anchor 9, Asylum, Zealot, and Countdown. I often see it on Powerhouse where it benefits blue team where they can toss red's flag off the ledge so it takes another two minutes to get them back up, whereas if blue team's flag gets tossed out of its zone, you can only throw it off the building. Symmetrical maps only and that'll be fine, otherwise it's not really fun.

Headhunter is best served in a FFA territory.

Rocket Hog Race on Breakpoint really doesn't wor well. There is only 2 routes to take... either clockwise around the map or counter clockwise. Why on earth Bungie decided to make the hill zones so low is beyond me. By the bridge on the defender's side there is one point and if you go at it from the bridge, the sliht bump in the ground will send you over it ever so slightly. Why???

Top Bottom