• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Whoa. I just realized that I've only been accepted to NeoGAF for a little over a month. I thought I've been on since the middle of January.

I'm going to slow down my posts. Sorry, guys!

zlatko

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
So this could be pottentially awesome...

I have been talking to the nephew of the Halo Voice Guy and he said he is going to Seattle next month and would be able to do 'requests'.

So do you guys have any ideas what I should ask for? I was thinking we could compile a list of things we want him to say, and I will pass it along.

Send me a PM or just reply in here.

My friends and I always call out are double, triple, etcs as Biebers.

"Double Bieber."
"Bieber Spree"
"Biebermanjaro"
"OverBieber"
"Biebertacular"

If you could at least get the Biebermanjaro in there that'd be cool. :p

The Real Napsta said:
The problem with %100 damage in AR/Pistol is that it makes the AR kill faster but the pistol is still a 5 shot kill.

It's gonna be a AR/nade fest.

Rifles is fun though.
Yeah. I just played a game where I was ripped a new one by people using the assault rifle and needler. Buffing every weapon is just stupid as it won't alleviate any of the "over-powerfulness" of the non-precision weapons. It actually makes the precision weapons worse like you said.

And I still don't understand what the purpose is of the pistol, either. Let me explain. You can just spam away with the needle rifle and DMR until you see the shield drop, due to the larger clip size; and then take a half-second break and shot to finish the kill. The pistol can't be fired quickly (Bungie raped the clip count) unless someone is literally within shotgun kill range. But from that range and even double that range, the assault rifle is more optimal, anyway. Soooooooo lame...

Also, I've noticed quite a bit recently how the pistol will often times take more than 5-6 (edited) shots to bring a shield down, despite the fact that you know each shot is hitting the player. This was the most noticeable during a game with an AKF'er. From distance, standing completely still, and doing slightly paced shots, it took 7 bullets to bring the guy's shield down. But I could tell each shot was hitting because of the other player's shield flashing with each shot. WTF????

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Devin Olsen said:

I have been talking to the nephew of the Halo Voice Guy and he said he is going to Seattle next month and would be able to do 'requests'.

So do you guys have any ideas what I should ask for? I was thinking we could compile a list of things we want him to say, and I will pass it along.

I've always wanted the announcer to say something for amazing one off kills so, "One-O Kill!"

It's so awesome being able to play Reach again. I'm a little rusty but I think I'm back into the flow of things.

I've played at least one match on the 3 new maps now and first impressions are good. I do really need to just go through them myself in forge or something and have a look at the pretty but as gameplay spaces they seem pretty fun. Although Unearthed by yourself is a bit weird.

Have all but one of the daily challenges, I'm hoping to play a bit everyday so hopefully I'll get the weekly but I'm super busy at the mo so not sure I will :(

Now I just need to redo the campaign AGAIN since it scrubbed my progress twice and now I only have half of it unlocked. Ah well, can't really complain about having to play through it again.

Deputy Moonman said:
Yeah. I just played a game where I was ripped a new one by people using the assault rifle and needler. Buffing every weapon is just stupid as it won't alleviate any of the "over-powerfulness" of the non-precision weapons. It actually makes the precision weapons worse like you said.

And I still don't understand what the purpose is of the pistol, either. Let me explain. You can just spam away with the needle rifle and DMR until you see the shield drop, due to the larger clip size; and then take a half-second break and shot to finish the kill. The pistol can't be fired quickly (Bungie raped the clip count) unless someone is literally within shotgun kill range. But from that range and even double that range, the assault rifle is more optimal, anyway. Soooooooo lame...

Also, I've noticed quite a bit recently how the pistol will often times take more than 5-6 (edited) shots to bring a shield down, despite the fact that you know each shot is hitting the player. This was the most noticeable during a game with an AKF'er. From distance, standing completely still, and doing slightly paced shots, it took 7 bullets to bring the guy's shield down. But I could tell each shot was hitting because of the other player's shield flashing with each shot. WTF????

Yeah I feel like the Magnum's shot registration is worse than it was in the beta, to go along with its actually nerf. Double sadface.

Oh the things I would do to have that beta pistol back...

Trasher

Devin Olsen said:

"Lake Minnetonka"

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devin Olsen said:

"Armor fucked"

Has there even been a Steitzer clip for "Steaktacular"?

Likewise I wouldn't mind "Thank the maker", "Linktacular", etc.

oh, and the b.net store needs "Shopping spree!"

All that talk about voice actors on the previous page is making me miss Michael Wincott's Prophet of Truth. Also, look at younger Marty! :lol

I love imitating Truth's voice. It's so awesome. Terrence Stamp is good and all, but Michael Wincott was Truth.

Also, sweet Jebus at Dee Bradley Baker's Gravemind voice. I'd love to do some voice acting myself some day.

Trasher

Louis Wu said:
Two thumbs up.
So after watching the Steitzer video, Youtube lead me on a journey to a Steve Downes documentary, and then to a Jen Taylor sort of travel documentary as well. Guess who she visited first in that video?! Did she really not tell some of these people who she was until after talking to them a bit, and did they really not know it was her? These videos are super old I know, but I had never seen them before haha.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I feel like the Magnum's shot registration is worse than it was in the beta, to go along with its actually nerf. Double sadface.

Oh the things I would do to have that beta pistol back...
Dude, what I wouldn't give to have a game that didn't punish players for using precision weapons. Everything in Reach is completely backwards.

Power weapons>needler>assault rifle> grenades> plasma pistol>precision weapons

Power weapons are the only group where they should be, but Reach gives them out like candy. Seriously, WTF? And I'm tired of getting ass raped by armor lock. It's one thing to have an ability that gives your teammates time to save you, and maybe even to give it an emp blast as well, but to make it spammable and to give the person the ability to turn around while in armor lock and able to melee instantly is like the dumbest fucking thing i've ever heard of.

Hey You

Did I miss it or did Bungie not state what gametypes would be in Community BTB?

I hope there's at least some Flag or Assault in there.

Its disappointing that we've only have Community Slayer and no objective.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
Meta-game for the Firefight Challenges today: do them all in the same game. I did it on Score Attack 2X on Corvette, adding the three sticky grenade sprees to the six killing sprees. Got a jackpot of 3,000 cR to go alongside the 3,000 for the Challenges. I actually saw the the progress bar move.

Challenge Accepted.

Vw8js.jpg

Challenge Defeated.

Also, what gives with the low game complete bonus? Didn't score attack always give bigger payouts?

just played a game of firefight, got 2 challenges done, one onyx commendation, and got a 3000 slot machine. ended up with 10000 credits from one game.

Deputy Moonman said:
Dude, what I wouldn't give to have a game that didn't punish players for using precision weapons. Everything in Reach is completely backwards.

Power weapons>needler>assault rifle> grenades> plasma pistol>precision weapons

Power weapons are the only group where they should be, but Reach gives them out like candy. Seriously, WTF? And I'm tired of getting ass raped by armor lock. It's one thing to have an ability that gives your teammates time to save you, and maybe even to give it an emp blast as well, but to make it spammable and to give the person the ability to turn around while in armor lock and able to melee instantly is like the dumbest fucking thing i've ever heard of.

Although there were definitely parts of the game that improved, I think the weapon balance in the beta was better than in the final game.

Also, is it just be or could you switch weapons faster in the beta?

Striker

Hey You said:
Did I miss it or did Bungie not state what gametypes would be in Community BTB?

I hope there's at least some Flag or Assault in there.

Its disappointing that we've only have Community Slayer and no objective.
Believe it's simply Slayer. :lol

Regular BTB needs a gametype makeover. Hilariously bad game modes like Headhunter need removed. Make it CTF/Assault/regular Slayer already.

Striker said:
Believe it's simply Slayer. :lol

Regular BTB needs a gametype makeover. Hilariously bad game modes like Headhunter need removed. Make it CTF/Assault/regular Slayer already.

Yeah agreed, needs some serious map work to.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lake Minnetonka said:
if carter make cat pregnant does baby also have super powers? and how many arms?

If a herp a derp, herps a derp in the woods and no one is there to grammatically correct it, does it still herp a derp?

Louis Wu

Trasher said:
So after watching the Steitzer video, Youtube lead me on a journey to a Steve Downes documentary, and then to a Jen Taylor sort of travel documentary as well. Guess who she visited first in that video?! Did she really not tell some of these people who she was until after talking to them a bit, and did they really not know it was her? These videos are super old I know, but I had never seen them before haha.
Mothergoat honestly didn't know who she was. He STILL is embarrassed about that. :)

(She was supposed to be a surprise at Mig's house, which is where the segment with me was filmed - but Microsoft fucked up and had to send her tickets for the European leg to us, because there wasn't anywhere else she was going to be first. I had to open them and make sure they were correct - which meant I knew, the day before she arrived, that it was her coming. But if that hadn't happened, all we'd have known was that SOMEONE was coming, and that the segment would be filmed; seeing her at the door would have been the first we'd known it was her. Of course, the greeting at the door that YOU saw was the second or third time she came up; they wanted to have cameras on both sides, etc. So I'm not sure HOW Mothergoat got fooled for so long... I guess he was just not paying attention. :) )

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Challenge Accepted.

http://i.imgur.com/Vw8js.jpg

Challenge Defeated.

Also, what gives with the low game complete bonus? Didn't score attack always give bigger payouts?
Nicely done. :D

The different playlists are set up so that the Game Complete bonuses accrue at different speeds so as to make the total cR payout roughly equal. In Score Attack you're getting heaping piles of Commendation credits, so they throttle back the Game Complete bonus.

It seems to be about like this:

Firefight Arcade, Firefight Limited and Campaign Co-op earn at 1/2 the rate of Competetive

Score Attack accrues at 1/4 the rate of Competetive.

Otherwise, you'd be racking up huge cR payouts for Firefight and small ones for Multiplayer. In my experience it works out about right, and even still a bit rich on the Firefight side. I average 2,000 - 2,200 cR per game of Score Attack, which run around 12 minutes most of the time. And the BTB Slayer game on Hemorrhage earlier today where I got 24 kills lasted 14 minutes and paid out about 1,700 cR.
Alienshogun said:
Ghaleon, do you get a lot of people quitting out of Limited FF? I played legendary the other day and all but 1 other guy quit out near the end.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/FirefightLimited.png

:p

(My favorite Firefight games are when all but one other good player drop off. I'd say 90% of games have at least one of: idler, quitter, griefer.)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ghaleon, do you get a lot of people quitting out of Limited FF? I played legendary the other day and all but 1 other guy quit out near the end.

vhfive

A27 Tawpgun said:
Challenge Accepted.

http://i.imgur.com/Vw8js.jpg[img]

Challenge Defeated.

Also, what gives with the low game complete bonus? Didn't score attack always give bigger payouts?[/QUOTE]
nice
I also did it in one go

GhaleonEB said:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/FirefightLimited.png

:p

(My favorite Firefight games are when all but one other good player drop off. I'd say 90% of games have at least one of: idler, quitter, griefer.)
:lol See, it's funny because it's true.

Edit: \/\/\/ -Unsportsmanlike conduct seems appropriate for that. It's in game behavior or some such I think? I apologize for not being specific, I'm not near an Xbox.

Are they going to implement a way to report people who AFK anytime soon? There is no option to report people for it, not under 'submit player review' nor under 'file complaint.' You always have to choose some option that has nothing to do with why you are submitting a complaint in the first place.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Late to the Ram sniper-bitch-fest:

As a pretty mediocre player, the Reach Sniper is much more rewarding to use than the Halo 3 one for me. It rewards optical skill rather than the admittedly tougher skill of swiping, strafing or snapping. Which to me is a much more classic approach to snipery.

I played a bunch of games last night in Team Snipes and enjoyed.

OuterWorldVoice said:

As a pretty mediocre player, the Reach Sniper is much more rewarding to use than the Halo 3 one for me. It rewards optical skill rather than the admittedly tougher skill of swiping, strafing or snapping. Which to me is a much more classic approach to snipery.

From what I understand 'optical skill' is about spotting your opponents before they spot you? This sucks because it leads to a bunch of camping. :( The satisfaction of pulling off an amazing headshot is gone and is now replaced with the satisfaction of simply spotting someone?

Frankie you dissapoint. :(

To clarify, I understand that to an extent being a bit more dexterous with your fingers shouldn't be the be all and end all of a good sniper. But a lot less auto aim is needed to bring back that feeling of 'damn I just domed that dude' - right now it really is too easy. As for 'optical skill' a challenging to use Sniper still rewards the players who have 'optical skill' - afterall at a level where everyone platous in terms of controller ability, its more a mental game than a game of who can control the analogue sticks better.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
bobs99 ... said:
From what I understand 'optical skill' is about spotting your opponents before they spot you? This sucks because it leads to a bunch of camping. :( The satisfaction of pulling off an amazing headshot is gone and is now replaced with the satisfaction of simply spotting someone?

Frankie you dissapoint. :(

To clarify, I understand that to an extent being a bit more dexterous with your fingers shouldn't be the be all and end all of a good sniper. But a lot less auto aim is needed to bring back that feeling of 'damn I just domed that dude' - right now it really is too easy. As for 'optical skill' a challenging to use Sniper still rewards the players who have 'optical skill' - afterall at a level where everyone platous in terms of controller ability, its more a mental game than a game of who can control the analogue sticks better.

Sniping, as a real-life thing, is camping. That's the nature of it. But I actually run from spot to spot. Holding a position for one or two attempted kills isn't really camping. Reach is also nice in that there really aren't a lot of spots that can be held in perpetuity.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
OuterWorldVoice said:

There's something about where the bullet hits that makes it easier to snipe in Reach though. Back of the head snipes are sooooooo much easier than in previous Halo games and no-scope are up it seems.

neoism

OuterWorldVoice said:

Glad to hear it, and I agree... :) LOVE the sniper...

Striker

Frankie, just make sure Halo 4 is hitscan, or whatever you'll call the next big Halo game. It's one of the must-haves for Halo in my view.

Ramirez

OuterWorldVoice said:

Wait, what? I wasn't aware I was doing a b*tch fest, all I said was that the Halo 3 one had less auto aim/assist/smaller hitboxes, which is true, the head hitbox on the back of Spartans in Reach is huge...

LoL, does everyone in here honestly just see me as a troll? /baffled I know my opinions can come off as brash and kind of like I think my say is final, but I like to think I'm just bringing up some real problems with the game, mainly stuff like people cheesing 4v4 playlists, and the awful BTB gametypes. I rarely ever complain about AA's, which is usually 95% of the arguments in here .I've even gave up on arguing about bloom for the most part, heh, mainly just bring it up to discuss on what I want to see in the next game.

Ehhhhhhhh...

Top Bottom