• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Ramirez said:
Wait, what? I wasn't aware I was doing a b*tch fest, all I said was that the Halo 3 one had less auto aim/assist/smaller hitboxes, which is true, the head hitbox on the back of Spartans in Reach is huge...

LoL, does everyone in here honestly just see me as a troll? /baffled I know my opinions can come off as brash and kind of like I think my say is final, but I like to think I'm just bringing up some real problems with the game, mainly stuff like people cheesing 4v4 playlists, and the awful BTB gametypes. I rarely ever complain about AA's, which is usually 95% of the arguments in here .I've even gave up on arguing about bloom for the most part, heh, mainly just bring it up to discuss on what I want to see in the next game.

Ehhhhhhhh...
maybe you can be nice to the game once and a while for once

try saying something nice

looking ahead for community btb playlist?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ramirez said:
Wait, what? I wasn't aware I was doing a b*tch fest, all I said was that the Halo 3 one had less auto aim/assist/smaller hitboxes, which is true, the head hitbox on the back of Spartans in Reach is huge...

LoL, does everyone in here honestly just see me as a troll? /baffled I know my opinions can come off as brash and kind of like I think my say is final, but I like to think I'm just bringing up some real problems with the game, mainly stuff like people cheesing 4v4 playlists, and the awful BTB gametypes. I rarely ever complain about AA's, which is usually 95% of the arguments in here .I've even gave up on arguing about bloom for the most part, heh, mainly just bring it up to discuss on what I want to see in the next game.

Ehhhhhhhh...

I said that in a hugg-y voice. I read it on mah phone and was to lazy to converse. I didn't think you were actually bitching.

Trasher

Louis Wu said:
Mothergoat honestly didn't know who she was. He STILL is embarrassed about that. :)

(She was supposed to be a surprise at Mig's house, which is where the segment with me was filmed - but Microsoft fucked up and had to send her tickets for the European leg to us, because there wasn't anywhere else she was going to be first. I had to open them and make sure they were correct - which meant I knew, the day before she arrived, that it was her coming. But if that hadn't happened, all we'd have known was that SOMEONE was coming, and that the segment would be filmed; seeing her at the door would have been the first we'd known it was her. Of course, the greeting at the door that YOU saw was the second or third time she came up; they wanted to have cameras on both sides, etc. So I'm not sure HOW Mothergoat got fooled for so long... I guess he was just not paying attention. :) )
Haha. Her normal voice is quite close to that of the voice she uses as Cortana I think, whereas Downes' normal speaking voice is quite different to that of the Chief's. Not saying I would have been able to tell right away that it was her, but I might of had a feeling that something was strange. So were you initially just informed that it was someone from Microsoft coming to visit for a documentary/interview then?

Oh and btw, that father/son duo that made the armor together? That kinda tugged at the heartstrings. Not gonna lie lol. Caught me off guard a little.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Sniping, as a real-life thing, is camping. That's the nature of it. But I actually run from spot to spot. Holding a position for one or two attempted kills isn't really camping. Reach is also nice in that there really aren't a lot of spots that can be held in perpetuity.

Shooting as a real life thing generally involves lots of crouching behind cover. This is Halo man its supposed to be using the map to houdini around your opponent who has you down to one shot before jumping over his head and landing the no scope while in mid air. :p

I know you probably dont camp but play a game of Snipes on Hemmorage and tell me you dont see at least one person camping. That would actually be a good game, most Snipes matches on Reach, especially on that map have very little movement to them. :( Snipes on Halo 3 was a LOT more fluid.

EDIT: I edited these in too late for people reading now to possibly see, ill just add them to my reply to Striker. :p

I feel as though im going off on a tangent, I understand what your saying, that controller skill shouldn't be as much of a requirement as mentally knowing what to do is more important? Im just saying that having a little bit more challenge actually makes the more 'impossible' shots seem a ton more satisfying.

Its actually pretty easy to spot someone and then shoot them as well, so to do well when everyone has a easy to use weapon, you have to be more careful about your map movement. Which does stifle the gameplay a little.

Crucio

Trasher said:
Haha. Her normal voice is quite close to that of the voice she uses as Cortana I think, whereas Downes' normal speaking voice is quite different to that of the Chief's. Not saying I would have been able to tell right away that it was her, but I might of had a feeling that something was strange. So were you initially just informed that it was someone from Microsoft coming to visit for a documentary/interview then?

Oh and btw, that father/son duo that made the armor together? That kinda tugged at the heartstrings. Not gonna lie lol. Caught me off guard a little.

Yeah I really enjoyed the Jen Taylor documentary, one of the best vidocs from Halo.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
There's something about where the bullet hits that makes it easier to snipe in Reach though. Back of the head snipes are sooooooo much easier than in previous Halo games and no-scope are up it seems.
Maybe the hitscan/netcode is what makes it so much easier? Never having to lead someone is a nice thing. It's either that or the hitbox is a tad larger, thus meaning that the auto-aim locks on easier. Although I don't think that's the case because the auto-aim is definitely less than it was in Halo 3.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
Shooting as a real life thing generally involves lots of crouching behind cover. This is Halo man its supposed to be using the map to houdini around your opponent who has you down to one shot before jumping over his head and landing the no scope while in mid air. :p

I know you probably dont camp but play a game of Snipes on Hemmorage and tell me you dont see at least one person camping. That would actually be a good game, most Snipes matches on Reach, especially on that map have very little movement to them. :( Snipes on Halo 3 was a LOT more fluid.
Yeah, those Sniper games in Ghost Town were a treat.

Hint: of course there's people camping during Snipers, especially on large maps.

Striker said:
Yeah, those Sniper games in Ghost Town were a treat.

Hint: of course there's people camping during Snipers, especially on large maps.

Oh yeah those sucked, and Valhalla was pretty campy, but the general player vs player combat when both had a sniper had more to it. It was a lot more satisfying outstrafing and then no scoping a dude who should have landed the 4 shot for example.

I feel as though im going off on a tangent, I understand what Frankies saying, that controller skill shouldn't be as much of a requirement as mentally knowing what to do is more important. Im just saying that having a little bit more challenge actually makes the more 'impossible' shots seem a ton more satisfying.

Its actually pretty easy to spot someone and then shoot them as well, so to do well when everyone has a easy to use weapon, you have to be more careful about your map movement. Which does stifle the gameplay a little.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
bobs99 ... said:
Oh yeah those sucked, and Valhalla was pretty campy, but the general player vs player combat when both had a sniper had more to it. It was a lot more satisfying outstrafing and then no scoping a dude who should have landed the 4 shot for example.

I feel as though im going off on a tangent, I understand what Frankies saying, that controller skill shouldn't be as much of a requirement as mentally knowing what to do is more important. Im just saying that having a little bit more challenge actually makes the more 'impossible' shots seem a ton more satisfying.

It's nice to have both though. Different game types definitely give us that variety. SWAT, for example.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trasher said:
Maybe the hitscan/netcode is what makes it so much easier? Never having to lead someone is a nice thing. It's either that or the hitbox is a tad larger, thus meaning that the auto-aim locks on easier. Although I don't think that's the case because the auto-aim is definitely less than it was in Halo 3.

Well I don't think it's the hitscan because in a small map like the Pit, how much slower does that bullet get there really? Wouldn't better netcode make you have to be more accurate? I know when I play on host I have to adjust the way I finish players with headshots. I find myself having to aim higher. Not sure of the reasoning behind it though. It's probably a combination of things you mentioned. Hit box and auto-aim. Reach turns noobs into amazing snipers. It's fuckin annoying.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
Reach turns noobs into amazing snipers.

It hasn't worked on me. I'm just as poop as ever with the dreaded thing.

Ramirez said:

painting-icarus.jpg

bobs99 ... said:
From what I understand 'optical skill' is about spotting your opponents before they spot you? This sucks because it leads to a bunch of camping. :( The satisfaction of pulling off an amazing headshot is gone and is now replaced with the satisfaction of simply spotting someone?

Frankie you dissapoint. :(

To clarify, I understand that to an extent being a bit more dexterous with your fingers shouldn't be the be all and end all of a good sniper. But a lot less auto aim is needed to bring back that feeling of 'damn I just domed that dude' - right now it really is too easy. As for 'optical skill' a challenging to use Sniper still rewards the players who have 'optical skill' - afterall at a level where everyone platous in terms of controller ability, its more a mental game than a game of who can control the analogue sticks better.

Gonna have to agree with bobs here. One of my big, big dissapointments with Reach was the sniper. Snipes in Halo 3 was my favourite playlist. I remember starting a new account and going nuts getting constant triples, head shots generally dominating - and it was satisfying. I got to 50 on my main and it was really satisfying. Now, in Reach, I regularly go anything from + 5 to 25 (no brag) and yet it is not satisfying due to the ease of headshots in the game. The way to be good in snipes in this game is to constantly position yourself to see the opponent first and when in a one on one barely move your right thumbstick, line yourself up with the left. This is a skill though it simply isn't as enjoyable as Halo 3's. If I was playing bad players in Halo 3 snipes i could walk in the open and dong on them - they would inevitably miss and you could turn, strafe then quickscope (then pull out the beamrifle and destroy his teamates in a second - man I miss that weapon and its rate of fire); thus I was rewarded for the countless extra hours of practice I put in over the average player. In Reach noone misses hence the absolute imperative of seeing them first, which leads to really quite boring gameplay. Also the bloom is pointless and its rate of fire is too slow ;)

Tawpgun

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Fuck Highlands. I am not touching that broken ass map until they fix the weapons and it becomes the best map ever.

Will only play in customs.

Honestly I get so mad on that map.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Well I don't think it's the hitscan because in a small map like the Pit, how much slower does that bullet get there really? Wouldn't better netcode make you have to be more accurate? I know when I play on host I have to adjust the way I finish players with headshots. I find myself having to aim higher. Not sure of the reasoning behind it though. It's probably a combination of things you mentioned. Hit box and auto-aim. Reach turns noobs into amazing snipers. It's fuckin annoying.
Nah, it just means bullets hit what you are aiming at. In Halo 3 they had travel time, which thus made it harder to aim cause you had to account for lag AND the travel time of the bullets. In Reach all you have to worry about is the lag, which is considerably better with the netcode in the game. And that is most likely why you find a slight difference when you have host. The same thing happened in Halo 3, but it was much worse. For me, in Halo 3, it was blatantly obvious when I had host (number one: because it was rare, and number two: because I had to completely change the way I aimed). In Reach, there's much less of a difference between the two.

Bottom line is that better netcode and hitscan means the less you have to fight the game in order to find your aiming "sweet spot" if you will.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
Bull shit. I saw you getting snipes when we were playing customs a few weeks ago.

What you didn't see was all the missed shots, bad aiming and holes in random geometry I was making. Any shots on target I make are almost entirely co-incidental.

Ramirez said:
He already has more sniper kills in Reach than he did in Halo 3, lol.

No fair using hard, undeniable evidence. =/

OuterWorldVoice said:
It's nice to have both though. Different game types definitely give us that variety. SWAT, for example.

Im glad you said that. :p I have to say that while I think the mental game is more important, and players who are smarter should win more, a certain level of aiming ability should exist. Also to clarify when I say 'players who are smarter' - I dont particularly mean the dudes who are good at hiding and popping out of nowhere with a shotgun or rocket launcher, or the guys who hide with a snipe on Hemmorage lol. I mean the guys who literally move around the map with the awareness to know where enemies are and with the quick thinking to deal with them. A game which allows you to be agile and powerful is much preferred to a game where movement is stunted and game mechanics dictate defensive play.

Going back to what I said about the Sniper though - about how Halo isnt realistic and so shouldn't be like real life sniping, its much more arcadey and so shouldn't be about camping and being ultra defensive. I would actually love to play a campaign which put you firmly in the boots of a marine on Reach, but a much darker Reach with a much more war time atmosphere. I would hate if those kind of mechanics rolled over into multiplayer, but I am still pining for the darker more realistic Halo since ODST was announced, so far they have gone a bit of the way towards given us that type of game, but have kept the arcadey style that comes with being a Spartan 2.

In my opinion multiplayer wise Spartan 2's are the soldiers to be to have fun, but a realistic campaign would still be interesting. Then again im only interested from the point of view we havent tried that yet and still think I would prefer the arcadey gameplay that Halo has had so far!

Also lol at Ramirez playing against Lake!

MrBig

Need one more for H3

e: H3 is such a great game. Reach improved every single facet, but they broke the gameplay in the process :(

Trasher

bobs99 ... said:
Also lol at Ramirez playing against Lake!
lol no way. Link? I hope you smoked that kid, Ram.

Gui_PT said:
Played Halo 3 on Heretic after playing Reach on Highlands.

No comparison. Sooooo much fun.
Did you get BRs? We got AR starts...not much fun was had. Sticky fest ftl.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
7echnicolor said:
Ok so, I played with a guy called IAFKinREACH earlier. Yes, that's his gamertag.

He's a Forerunner, almost a Reclaimer.

Gravity Hammer - T2 EW/H

Kills: 8,109 | Deaths: 7,299

Melee

Kills: 3,335 | Deaths: 3,966

Assault Rifle - MA37 ICWS

Kills: 2,840 | Deaths: 2,673

Frag Grenade - M9 HE-DP

Kills: 2,512 | Deaths: 1,855

Plasma Grenade - T1 AP-G

Kills: 2,472 | Deaths: 1,671

:s

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
7echnicolor said:
Ok so, I played with a guy called IAFKinREACH earlier. Yes, that's his gamertag.

He's a Forerunner, almost a Reclaimer.

Check his games. He's playing. He's playing a lot, but he's playing.

Dani said:

Grifball.

On subject of networking improvements, I just pushed Aldridge's "I Shot You First!" deck talking about Reach's sweet netcode. I'm sure you'll all find the Armor Lock examination fascinating. ;)

GhaleonEB

All I know is that I'm somewhat more likely to actually hit people with the sniper rifle in Reach than in previous Halo games. Which is saying something, since I'm a truly terrible, horrible no good very bad sniper, historically.

I don't seek it out, but when I find it I can usually get a couple of kills. On the flip side, I feel like I get my head blown off on a more regular basis in Reach compared to Halo 3. Probably for the same reason, and also due to the more open BTB maps.

Edit: did I mention I'm sad there's no Firefight update in April? I'm sad there's no Firefight update in April. I have no idea why.

neclas

urk said:
On subject of networking improvements, I just pushed Aldridge's "I Shot You First!" deck talking about Reach's sweet netcode. I'm sure you'll all find the Armor Lock examination fascinating. ;)
:( I was hoping to see something about host selection. When there's a good host, lag is hardly a problem at all (due to the things discussed in this presentation). But the Halo games don't seem to select a good host all that often.

Looks like Community BTB will actually have objective in it:
Gametypes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slayer
Multiflag CTF
Stockpile

Maps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bendarius Ridge
Montana Gambit
Outcrop
Renegade
Ridged
Rift
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/playlists.aspx

Looks like it was pushed to 4/05 as well (Action Sack and Team Classic still listed for tomorrow).

urk said:
Check his games. He's playing. He's playing a lot, but he's playing.

Grifball.

Downloading yeti-sized version though. These presentations are always interesting.

Willeth

Lake Minnetonka said:
if carter make cat pregnant does baby also have super powers? and how many arms?
If SPARTANs have children, the children do have increased agility, strength, awareness and so forth, yes. If you listen to I Love Bees, the radio play created for Halo 2's launch, it's in there. I'd recommend listening to it if you care at all about Halo - it's great. I'm not sure if it's completely canon, but I definitely want it to be. Note that this pertains to survivors of the ORION project, or SPARTAN Is - Kat and Carter are SPARTAN IIIs, and as SPARTAN IIIs are designed to be expendable powerhouses rather than the expensive near-immortals the SPARTAN IIs are, such as Master Chief, the different steroids and chemicals used to boost their performance may affect their offspring in different ways.

As regards limbs, it's possible that SPARTAN children could be deformed due to the supplements and steroids they were given, similar to how some children in our society were born with defects due to medicines and chemicals given to the mother during pregnancy. However, Kat's arm was lost in combat rather than a birth defect, and so any children she might have would not be affected by her lacking her right arm.

Of course, all of this is moot in the case of Kat and Carter, as they're clearly strict professionals.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of answering these questions, you know...

Hey You said:
Damn it steel, just was about to post that. :p

I thought BTB was coming tomorrow? I'm glad some Objective will be in the mix.

Yeah I thought it originally was going to come tomorrow, but must have gotten pushed. No big, two new playlists tomorrow will be more than enough to satisfy my interests.

Speaking of which, Urk, is there anything in the update tomorrow that wasn't in the update list from a couple of weeks ago?

Hey You

Steelyuhas said:
Speaking of which, Urk, is there anything in the update tomorrow that wasn't in the update list from a couple of weeks ago?
I'm hoping They release the Alpha Zombie gametype tomorrow.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Steelyuhas said:

I'm sure there have been some minor tweaks, like Classic map renaming, but all the big ticket items should have already been accounted for.

Should be fun. :)

Willeth

Zeouterlimits said:
There is also Maria-062, who implied she had started a family after somehow leaving the program.
That would make a SPARTAN II, then. At least, if she actually had a family - there's only the intent, right?

It's kind of poetic if IIs can't have kids, IMO, especially if Maria really wants a family. It's another of the real sacrifices made to be a SPARTAN. It would be just like ONI to hide it as a side-effect, too.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
urk said:
Grifball.

Oh, I know. It's just eww. Yuck.

urk said:

The lag is hidden from the main participant by changing the game mechanic! In fact, we have pushed the lag onto the host and 3rd party clients who are viewing the armor lock activation – they will see a shield go up with an intro animation that is less than 3 frames. That’s weird and broken! However, they don’t care. We’ve successfully pushed the lag from a player who cares a lot (the user of armor lock), to players that don’t care as much (viewers), without making the game unfair.

I bet you a figurative betting token, there's someone that cares. Really cares.

Hey You said:
I'm hoping They release the Alpha Zombie gametype tomorrow.

I remember Jeremiah making an Opitmatch post saying that April matchmaking update list in the BWU was not the complete list of changes when someone asked about Alpha Zombies, that's why I ask.

urk said:
I'm sure there have been some minor tweaks, like Classic map renaming, but all the big ticket items should have already been accounted for.

Should be fun. :)

Alright thanks.

Does sound fun, huge update tomorrow.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Zeouterlimits said:
There is also Maria-062, who implied she had started a family after somehow leaving the program.

And Hank-040, who infamously wore his armor backwards and spent the rest of his days in space retirement with a second, fully-functional, frontward-facing butt crack.

It's totally canon!

Top Bottom