• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

kylej

Banned
Yeah of course Reach sucks but it's still fun to run a train on retards in Noble or BTB so everyone get on tonight and lets insult people, turn at least 15 idiots into COD players and wash away those sad Halo feelings!!!

MrBig

Yes we do need to do another mm marathon. It's always so much more fun with gaffers. I don't even bother putting my mic in when I'm not in a party
GhaleonEB said:
I was playing people of roughly equal skill level to my own. :p

TrueSkill doing its thing.

Seriously. I have like, one great moment a month in MP. Lemme savor it, ya bastard.
Oh, I thought it was just your first time in the playlist and you hadn't been ranked yet. The amount of ff games you have tells a different story :lol

feel

kylej said:
Yeah of course Reach sucks but it's still fun to run a train on retards in Noble or BTB so everyone get on tonight and lets insult people, turn at least 15 idiots into COD players and wash away those sad Halo feelings!!!
:lol

Too bad I don't have the luxury of actually being better than other players consistently.

Letters said:

Too bad I don't have the luxury of actually being better than other players consistently.
Some days, you can stand strong, and hold off wave after wave of enemies, whose incessant cries of "noob", "gay" and other vulgarities ring across the map like tribal drum beats. Those days, you are a God and the other players are merely playthings, to be extinguished for your amusement. On those days, Death is but a minor setback, a mere bone you throw at the enemy to give them a sliver of hope, which you then just as quickly remove from their hearts by plunging a knife deep into it.

Other days, the waves are like a tsunami. Each wave knocks you down, and yet you stubbornly rise, only to be knocked to the ground in a mess of blood and teabagging once again. Each death is like a sword to the gut, and each respawn time feels like it lasts longer than the age of the Earth itself. No matter what you try, you just cannot catch a break. Except for the breaking sound of your neck, as some douchebag creeps up to you and snaps it.

On the latter days, I just head into Firefight. ><

ShinAmano

kylej said:
I will be on tonight!

Awh Yeah.

Sorry no response last night Mikasangelos...I was getting off as the message came in.

kylej said:

...but the AR's - they hurt me. :(

I cant personally get into the MLG playlist, I dont know why, but it seems like the combat should revolve around the gunplay, and with bloom the gunplay seems a bit weak - ill join up if you guys play BTB or something though.

EDIT: I misread Noble as MLG - how the hell did I make that mistake!?? :lol

kylej

Banned
Letters said:

psh, if Booties and I can get some OGs together it doesn't matter. Devin was in the midst of one of our BTB trains not long ago.

TOOT TOOT here comes the donging.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Booties said:
Every now and then a situation forces a man to do things greater than himself. Such as that flag run I had ftw.

I think you mean my flag run. :D Either way, we both had a good run, and it got us the win.

xxjuicesxx said:
Nah Shogun I love the yelling I do it all the fucking time! Its like at least I know you're into the game I had a buddy who would play with me in college and just sit there quiet the entire time, I never even knew if the kid was even enjoying himself.

2500cR
Blastin' and Relaxin'
Kill 500 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

2000cR
A Friend in Need
Earn 10 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

2000cR
Heroic Demon
Kill 20 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking on Heroic or harder.

1800cR
Blast Radius
Kill 40 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with grenades.

I think you mean For the Lose, we lost that game and my epenis shrank a little.

Yeah, I love the game even with its faults, it's still better than anything else. He's talking about this game Juices, in which we both capped, (I had the second cap) and we won against a clan.
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=383366510&player=AlienShogun

They were a bunch of bubble shield whoring, armor locking bitches too.

LosDaddie

Banned
HaloGAF: I figure you guys would be as knowledgeable about this as anyone on GAF. I'm getting ready to upgrade from my launch, 20GB X360 to the new 250GB X360S today! :D I remember some of you talking about doing your own upgrade recently, so I'm hoping you could offer some advice.

Now I know I need the transfer kit. Is there anything else I need? How long am I looking at to do the transfer (my 20GB is almost full)?

Also, how does Reach run when it's streaming off the HDD?

Booties

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
I think you mean For the Lose, we lost that game and my epenis shrank a little.

We won our last game. Only lost the first one in MLG 5-4. Those challenges seem worth it today for once.

Booties

Banned
kylej said:
psh, if Booties and I can get some OGs together it doesn't matter. Devin was in the midst of one of our BTB trains not long ago.

TOOT TOOT here comes the donging.

Those +400 games on Valhalla in the early days of halo 3 were the golden ages of my life.

ShinAmano

LosDaddie said:
HaloGAF: I figure you guys would be as knowledgeable about this as anyone on GAF. I'm getting ready to upgrade from my launch, 20GB X360 to the new 250GB X360S today! :D I remember some of you talking about doing your own upgrade recently, so I'm hoping you could offer some advice.

Now I know I need the transfer kit. Is there anything else I need? How long am I looking at to do the transfer (my 20GB is almost full)?

Delete anything you dont need or can re download. It will save you some time...if I remember correctly going from 20->120 it took about an hour.

Booties

Banned
LosDaddie said:

I just bought the 250 slim a few weeks ago and transferred my 20 gig launch to it. I still have the transfer cable as well if you want it for cheap. They usually go for 20 bucks. I don't think it took too long to transfer and my HDD was full. If you want you can delete stuff quickly and re-download it when you want to use it, but it's really not a pain in the ass to transfer.

The only 'tip' I have is to make sure you remove whatever game is in your old console's disc tray before you unplug it. I forgot reach was in there for a day and almost had an aneurysm looking for it.

zlatko

Banned
Curious if Bungie ever tweaked in their updates or ever fixed:

1) Armor Lock
2) Matchmaking times
3) Spawn points
4) Bloom

Also, were the new maps good or was it more Cage level of suck ?

Kapura

Banned
zlatko said:
Curious if Bungie ever tweaked in their updates or ever fixed:

1) Armor Lock
2) Matchmaking times
3) Spawn points
4) Bloom

Also, were the new maps good or was it more Cage level of suck ?
none of those were ever broken. The cage doesn't suck, and the new maps are good.

Sarcasm Kapura!?? :lol

Either way the new maps are good, and the Cage is apparently getting fixed. Armour Lock doesnt exist in the Arena and the MLG playlist pretty much so good times.

Bloom and matchmaking times are still downsides though. :( Maybe im just used to it now, but Spawning hasnt really been an issue for me I dont think.

Wow, so much negativity about Reach in here. :(

I don't think I've been this addicted to Halo since the daily Halo:CE LANs my buddies and I had in college. :D

Hey guys. I've been out of the Halo Reach loop for a while. Any recent updates or news on changes or updates or new maps for Firefight? I was here for the first big update (when they made matchmaking firefight longer and took out crash site) but that was about it. Thanks!

Firefight is so bad now that it is longer. I mean I liked Firefight in the beginning when it was SHORT matches I played like 400 matches of it, now that its longer I just get bored...

Also the damage system towards the end gets so fucking borked, like yes I enjoy shooting two rockets into that elite then him rushing me for a melee and then I respond with three melees to him yet he beats me down...makes perfect sense!

Hey thanks for giving all those elites and brutes concussion rifles, my screen wasn't shaking and exploding with random shit enough already!

Uggh utter garbage. BASURA I SAY! Fix it to when it wasn't broken.

MrBig

The Antitype said:
Wow, so much negativity about Reach in here. :(

I don't think I've been this addicted to Halo since the daily Halo:CE LANs my buddies and I had in college. :D
I miss this so much. Though I was only 12 or so and did it once a month

GhaleonEB said:
Thought I'd try for one FF game before work. Just got Rocketfight on Corvette. Shoulda known better. :(
I'll be on later tonight if you want to buddy up for some FF. An extra veto for Rocketfight couldn't hurt, and I'll be able to wrap up the weekly. :D

I'm not a big fan of the bonus round either, especially in the normal Firefight. It never fails that all of the big weapons are already gone, but even if they weren't you wouldn't be able to make a kill on your own anyway. It sucks even more when you've been able to go the entire match without a death, only to get your ass handed to you at the very end by some Elite asshole you've sunk 4 sniper rounds into at close range. blargh.

zlatko

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Sarcasm Kapura!?? :lol

Either way the new maps are good, and the Cage is apparently getting fixed. Armour Lock doesnt exist in the Arena and the MLG playlist pretty much so good times.

Bloom and matchmaking times are still downsides though. :( Maybe im just used to it now, but Spawning hasnt really been an issue for me I dont think.

Spawning reared its ugly head in various game types and more so maps. Cage of course being one of the biggest offenders for awful spawns, Atom worse than that, and I was never a fan of Zealot spawning either.

Is MLG playlist the most populated thing people play then? Is the list of changes they play by really vast or can someone give me a quick blurb that would cover it?

NOKYARD

Squall ASF said:
Only bastards (skirmishers) that annoy me on Sniper Courtyard. More prudent to swap to the pistol for most of that wave if they rush you.
Hide behind the tanker truck on the high end of Courtyard with a Drop Shield and let the Skirmishers come to you.

xxjuicesxx said:
1800cR
Blast Radius
Kill 40 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with grenades.
Wow! You can get this in a Sniper Attack game (Grenade pickup disabled) by sniping dropped grenades.

Zeouterlimits said:
Been away from Reach for about 9 days, do miss it.

Please do, what I've seen so far of those SE Reach figures has been amazing.
Fo sho. I'm at work right now and I'll be watching a movie at a friends place tonight so I'll try to get something up tonight or tomorrow.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Neuromancer said:
I'll take that as a no. ='(

I desperately need more firefight maps.

Hop on Halo, I was playing Blackops thinking how much Halo sucked a month or so ago, then got back on Halo and was amazed how wrong I was. Reach is a good game, even with its flaws, and in my opinion nothing out currently even comes close to how it plays or how fun it is, especially with friends.

COD to me us just mindless spam (I'm really good at it, so I'm not just complaining about a game I would suck at), Reach requires more teamwork and thought, but that's just a personal opinion.

If I had to pick the two top games for live it would be Reach and BFBC2.

Edit: Also I just remembered, I may be busy with something else on live tonight, but I'll still be on, so shoot me an invite if you see me on.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
I'll be on later tonight if you want to buddy up for some FF. An extra veto for Rocketfight couldn't hurt, and I'll be able to wrap up the weekly. :D

I'm not a big fan of the bonus round either, especially in the normal Firefight. It never fails that all of the big weapons are already gone, but even if they weren't you wouldn't be able to make a kill on your own anyway. It sucks even more when you've been able to go the entire match without a death, only to get your ass handed to you at the very end by some Elite asshole you've sunk 4 sniper rounds into at close range. blargh.
I much prefer the Grunt bonus round. It's crazy fun racking up massive multi-kills while a dozen grenades and FRG rounds go off all over the place. On the Rocketfight match this morning, I snagged the Plasma Launcher for the bonus round, and it was Elites. I affixed all four rounds onto an Elite that was charging me, and he still has his shield on when they were done going off; one bonk and I was down.

The Hunters on Sniper Attack are pretty awesome though, especially if you can snag an FRG.

I'll be on tonight for sure, so I'll look for you. Probably around 8:00 pacific time. I'll just hang out in the lobby for a while to try and partner up, if no one is on I'll grind some Score Attack.
xxjuicesxx said:
Firefight is so bad now that it is longer. I mean I liked Firefight in the beginning when it was SHORT matches I played like 400 matches of it, now that its longer I just get bored...

Also the damage system towards the end gets so fucking borked, like yes I enjoy shooting two rockets into that elite then him rushing me for a melee and then I respond with three melees to him yet he beats me down...makes perfect sense!

Hey thanks for giving all those elites and brutes concussion rifles, my screen wasn't shaking and exploding with random shit enough already!

Uggh utter garbage. BASURA I SAY! Fix it to when it wasn't broken.
I'm quite fond of the three Round structure, my only beef is I wish more of the skulls were leveraged. You do have to play a bit differently each Round as the skulls stack.

In your situation, you were probably feeling the effects of the Mythic skull, which doubles enemy health. Especially when that toggles on, you should be rocking a Plasma Pistol, even in Rocketfight. Even with Mythic on, it just takes a single overcharge to strip shields. Like this. (I belive the term is, like a boss.)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
I much prefer the Grunt bonus round. It's crazy fun racking up massive multi-kills while a dozen grenades and FRG rounds go off all over the place. On the Rocketfight match this morning, I snagged the Plasma Launcher for the bonus round, and it was Elites. I affixed all four rounds onto an Elite that was charging me, and he still has his shield on when they were done going off; one bonk and I was down.

The Hunters on Sniper Attack are pretty awesome though, especially if you can snag an FRG.

I'll be on tonight for sure, so I'll look for you. Probably around 8:00 pacific time. I'll just hang out in the lobby for a while to try and partner up, if no one is on I'll grind some Score Attack.

I hate, HATE, the mythic elite bonus round. F that, it's such a god damn frustrating waste.

Lazslo

So the new jobs posting today must mean they are making an awesome app for their new IP. I can't wait, an iPhone app for Reach would of been amazing but now that Microsoft has no influence in this new project, I'm sure the app will be killllerrr brah.

MrBig

Lazslo said:
So the new jobs posting today must mean they are making an awesome app for their new IP. I can't wait, an iPhone app for Reach would of been amazing but now that Microsoft has no influence in this new project, I'm sure the app will be killllerrr brah.
And it means that Aerospace is far enough along that they can start with that kind of thing, if it is for their new IP.

Striker

Alienshogun said:
Hop on Halo, I was playing Blackops thinking how much Halo sucked a month or so ago, then got back on Halo and was amazed how wrong I was. Reach is a good game, even with its flaws, and in my opinion nothing out currently even comes close to how it plays or how fun it is, especially with friends.
Most MP games, notably shooters, are generally more fun with friends. I never had fun playing by myself on Halo 3, only with friends. I get that same feeling playing Reach MP without friends, also, but at least there's a heavier version of Forge and FireFight to keep me inclined.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Striker said:
Most MP games, notably shooters, are generally more fun with friends. I never had fun playing by myself on Halo 3, only with friends. I get that same feeling playing Reach MP without friends, also, but at least there's a heavier version of Forge and FireFight to keep me inclined.

Yeah, but from my experience games like COD still work solo, if you're alone in Halo or BFBC2 it can not only be un fun, but completely frustrating since good teammates are typically essential.

I'm simply pointing out a neigh necessity of friends to play with as a prerequisite to have fun in Halo, more so than a lot of other games.

reach_11611074_Full.jpg

Go go hologram!

reach_11611073_Full.jpg

And here is our star of the story at the bottom. He misses the first shot!

reach_11611064_Full.jpg

His second shot is blocked by a... I-don't-know-what!

reach_11611072_Full.jpg

Third shot, success! Take that you lousy hologram!

reach_11611090_Full.jpg

This doesn't bode well...

reach_11611094_Full.jpg

Oh my! Nice headshot!

reach_11611093_Full.jpg

Friendly fire. Awesome in some ways.

File link:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=11611338&player=GrimmJob

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
Even with Mythic on, it just takes a single overcharge to strip shields. Like this. (I belive the term is, like a boss.)
Actually, it depends on the Elites. The white guys (spec-ops? I don't know what they're called) take TWO overcharges to strip shields with Mythic on. As I discovered by hitting the first one with one, then switching to my DMR and headshotting the bastard, only to find he still had shields. :(

After a long Hiatus, I finally finished my legendary run through of Halo 1. I had beaten the game a ton of times but never finished a level on legendary besides the Maw. I had started my run through about a few months ago, but school prevented me from finishing it, so I had the last 4 levels to go through and finished them. Man, what a great game, also the Halo 1 Shotgun is such a beast, screw the pistol, that Shotgun and snipe you. :D

All Day halo plan failed :(. I ended up having to run some last minute errands and do a bunch of cleaning. All in all, about 3 hours of playtime, split between single and multi.

Sometmes I hate being an adult.

Ahh well, off to Las Vegas! Sometimes I love being an adult :lol

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Actually, it depends on the Elites. The white guys (spec-ops? I don't know what they're called) take TWO overcharges to strip shields with Mythic on. As I discovered by hitting the first one with one, then switching to my DMR and headshotting the bastard, only to find he still had shields. :(
I've never run into that in regular Firefight, just the Gold Elites in Mythic Attack (though I know you haven't run into them :p).

But it would make sense that would also be the case in the other mode. Maybe they're always chipped away at already when I run into them, I'll try to watch for it closely tonight. I usually tear through them pretty well, as long as I have a PP on hand; I've probably just been lucky.

I guess the bottom line is, if you're shooting rockets at a high ranking Elite wtih Mythic on, you're doing it wrong.

MrBig said:
Ya, I'll get on right after the newest UDK finishes downloading so that you won't have to play a slide show.
It took me too long to understand what you were trying to say... In fact, I still don't think I got the gist of it yet haha.

Top Bottom