• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

I decided to try out Campaign matchmaking to go after the weekly challenge.

So good news: I find 3 others almost immediately, even with search restrictions (connection, language, etc).

And then I determine that my party really doesn't want to play campaign, because they vetoed 6 missions in a row and were forced to take Sword Base.

*roll eyes*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LAUGHTREY said:
Well listen, he kind of has a point there. Not every vehicle would be rated for a half ton spartan to sit in the seat.

It's just not good attention to detail.
It has nothing to do with attention to detail at all. For the sake of gameplay and fun, they added that in there. Its not like Bungie wasn't aware of this. They put it in for the lulz and it has produced them, it was a conscious decision on that part. Wouldn't be Halo without nonsense like that put in as a representation of Bungie's cheeky humour.

What I'm talking apart are people putting trivial parts of the game ahead of enjoyment of the actual game. The 2nd guy I play with, consistently quits Halo and gets back into it after every game he loses. Fantacism? Not by definition. Raging? Quite, and shows the same symptoms of people getting angry at Reach in this thread.

I was going to drop the forklift knowledge on you but I see a rep from Bungie has beat me to it. Those things are tough yo! I put a crappy old one with 1700+ lbs. on it through the back of a truck. I bet future forklifts are even more powerful.

As for the cycle of complaints on here, I've actually changed my mind since the Armor Lock issue was first raised (July 17, 1427 in the year of our Lord) so I'm kind of cool with people maintaining a somewhat mature level of discourse on it. We've got to keep mulling this stuff and if mulling comes across as constant bitching then I can deal.

Thanks for the game Bungie...some parts more so than others!

P.S. Freeeeking 1 million players in the last 24 hours! Kickass! Santa works for Bungle!

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
:lol

Carney should never be slowed down.

Today I join the old man's club. Ghaleon, point me to the Bengay locker. :D
First, you need to roam the pharmaceutical isles at Wal-Mart, hunched and muttering, "Damn kids...." over and over.

I like the FF Chalenge. I'll shoot you a PM Hypertrooper with a mode to try out. Please don't banzor me from the contest. Wu has a higher Score Attack score on Courtyard than I do!
Epyon MX said:
I decided to try out Campaign matchmaking to go after the weekly challenge.

So good news: I find 3 others almost immediately, even with search restrictions (connection, language, etc).

And then I determine that my party really doesn't want to play campaign, because they vetoed 6 missions in a row and were forced to take Sword Base.

*roll eyes*
ONI is one of my two favorite missions in the game. It's my go-to for the daily Campaign challenges.

GhaleonEB said:
ONI is one of my two favorite missions in the game. It's my go-to for the daily Campaign challenges.
The Warthog part frustrates me too much. The blind gunners and Kat stealing and destroying my hog, all that aside from the fact that I think the hog is too top-heavy and flips all the time. :'( It's a great level co-op, though.

I'm enjoying New Alexandria more and more (not for dailies). The Falcon is such a joy to fly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Exodus, if we're talking Heroic. And Tip of the Spear on Legendary.

I think Exodus is my favorite because that mission really portrays the war on Reach from the civilian perspective, as you're flying around and the marines and civilians are being decimated, it really drives the war home.

Tashi0106 said:
http://www.justin.tv/tashiii

Stream is up...MLG

Happy Birthday Shogun!

Thanks dude! I think I'll watch for a bit, just got back from the gym. :D

hypertrooper said:
-------
Happy birthday, Alienshogun!

Thanks dude!

My favourite is "Long Night Of Solace". But my personally dream level would be a combination of "New Alexandria", "WC", "LNoS" and "Tip Of The Spear". The level should be open like NA and WC. It should have some random generated objectives. Then I want some heavy vehicle action like TotS. At the end the level needs something special. A epic fight? The power to control a special vehicle? Something like that. Tip Of The Spear could be better if Bungie expanded the Elite Zealot sequence. I was really excited what I had to do for the "Your Heresy Will Stay Your Feet" achieve. I was really disappointed :/

-------

Striker

Dax01 said:
Halo 3 didn't have any game-breaking exploits; nothing close to super bounces or BXR in Halo 2.
Reach has no game-breaking exploits like Halo 2/3 had. Did you not read?

Halo 3 had places underneath maps that players could hide, grief, and just win matches by doing so.

Epyon MX said:
The Warthog part frustrates me too much. The blind gunners and Kat stealing and destroying my hog, all that aside from the fact that I think the hog is too top-heavy and flips all the time. :'( It's a great level co-op, though.

I'm enjoying New Alexandria more and more (not for dailies). The Falcon is such a joy to fly.
Don't use it. Just light up one of the Wraiths and hijack the other one. Hopping in the turret will force the driver out, and then he's easy pickinz. Only time you need a 'hog on ONI is the Gauss, which you can drive over the barricades and blast the Hunters to hell right quick.

Long Night of Solace is easily my favorite campaign mission. If Bungie's next IP has flying vehicles similar to the Sabre, consider me signed up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Striker said:
Reach has no game-breaking exploits like Halo 2/3 had. Did you not read?

Halo 3 had places underneath maps that players could hide, grief, and just win matches by doing so.

Yeah, that is definitely one thing going for Reach, we are almost 4 months into the game, and there are no game breaking glitches or hacks running rampant. MW2 had me really worried about the future of games, but Reach is just as it was at launch. Pretty impressive IMO.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
My favourite is "Long Night Of Solace". But my personally dream level would be a combination of "New Alexandria", "WC", "LNoS" and "Tip Of The Spear". The level should be open like NA and WC. It should have some random generated objectives. Then I want some heavy vehicle action like TotS. At the end the level needs something special. A epic fight? The power to control a special vehicle? Something like that. Tip Of The Spear could be better if Bungie expanded the Elite Zealot sequence. I was really excited what I had to do for the "Your Heresy Will Stay Your Feet" achieve. I was really disappointed :/

-------
Speaking of the Zealot (and I agree completely, BTW). I'll tag this since we have some new readers due to Christmas.

In-game sequence of events:

Noble Team encounters three Elite Zealots, kills two. Carter does not pursue #3.
Halsey gives Carer shit for not taking out Zealot #3.
Later team runs into #3, he's easy to take out.
Kat gets randomly domed by an Elite.

Why on earth was the sequence not:

Noble Team encounters three Elite Zealots, kills two. Carter does not pursue #3.
Zealot #3 domes Kat.
Later team runs into #3, he's hard to take out but player is motivated to because he's the fucker that domed Kat.

The pieces are right there.

GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of the Zealot (and I agree completely, BTW). I'll tag this since we have some new readers due to Christmas.

Zealot #3 domes Kat.
Later team runs into #3, he's hard to take out but player is motivated to because he's the fucker that domed Kat.

That was actually the first thing i brought up in the thread after finishing the campaign. There was a lot of potential to improve the story.

GhaleonEB said:

Zealot #3 domes Kat.

Are you talking about the
Zealots + Field Marshall in Winter Contingency? The Field Marshall that escaped isn't the Zealot from TotS. You kill him right at the end of the game as the final boss.

Although, its STILL a missed moment in the game, because this fact isn't highlighted at ALL, even though this is the only Field Marshall fought in gameplay.

Yet another example that Bungie's writers don't know what they are doing, except for the terminal/datapad writers.

So we got donged on last night by Final Boss in the MLG playlist... 50-21.

Those guys really are good, and it was only two of them - Fear FiS and FB Izzo. They were with a 3rd who was an MLG wannabe, but the type of wannabe that is actually really good, and could wind up being an MLG player...

GhaleonEB

Thagomizer said:
Are you talking about the
Zealots + Field Marshall in Winter Contingency? The Field Marshall that escaped isn't the Zealot from TotS. You kill him right at the end of the game as the final boss.

Although, its STILL a missed moment in the game, because this fact isn't highlighted at ALL, even though this is the only Field Marshall fought in gameplay.

Yet another example that Bungie's writers don't know what they are doing, except for the terminal/datapad writers.
I thought they got jumped by three Elites. We kill two as Six and Jorge pursue: one with a sword at the end, and one with a Concussion Rifle (on Heroic), who can be killed at the end of the hallway of the first night vision encounter, and if not then falls back to where the sword Elite is.

Right after those two are killed, Jorge, Carter and Halsey talk about the three Elites they ran into and the two they killed.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
I thought they got jumped by three Elites. We kill two as Six and Jorge pursue: one with a sword at the end, and one with a Concussion Rifle (on Heroic), who can be killed at the end of the hallway of the first night vision encounter, and if not then falls back to where the sword Elite is.

Right after those two are killed, Jorge, Carter and Halsey talk about the three Elites they ran into and the two they killed.

And you were jumped by three elites.

What he's saying is that the one you kill at the TotS isn't the one that survived that first encounter in Winter Contingency.

The one that survives only returns in the PoA, he shows up right after Keyes takes Cortana and you have to use the Mac gun.

GhaleonEB said:

If you look closely, the Elite that almost decapitates Jorge is a Field Marshall- you can see the horns. He runs away like a bitch, blows past Emile at the entrance, and escapes. The Zealots you kill are his bodyguards/assistants.

jump to 0:45.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
And you were jumped by three elites.

What he's saying is that the one you kill at the TotS isn't the one that survived that first encounter in Winter Contingency.

The one that survives only returns in the PoA, he shows up right after Keyes takes Cortana and you have to use the Mac gun.
Ah. I always assumed the one we take out was the missing third one from the first mission. Weird.

That makes the writing on the whole Zealot/Kat/Achievement Elite Dude even worse! The initial Zealot encounter, the dude that domes Kat and the one we kill later in TotS have nothing to do with each other? WTF!
Thagomizer said:
If you look closely, the Elite that almost decapitates Jorge is a Field Marshall- you can see the horns. He runs away like a bitch, blows past Emile at the entrance, and escapes. The Zealots you kill are his bodyguards/assistants.

jump to 0:45.
I've never been able to really follow the cinematic where they show up. The first time I saw it I thought Jorge was killed and I was stabbed.

GhaleonEB said:
That makes the writing on the whole Zealot/Kat/Achievement Elite Dude even worse! The initial Zealot encounter, the dude that domes Kat and the one we kill later in TotS have nothing to do with each other? WTF!

Yup. And the only time there is a connection, it's not even noted in the game. They could have had Dot say one line about it, and it would have been fine, but no.

Pete Rock

Hydranockz said:
Can you imagine the advancements made in the forklift industry by the time of Reach??
Sadly enough they couldn't even incorporate contemporary lift technology.

With an overarm design of that style you cannot laterally displace the tines, which takes us back a couple decades, and the entire unit looks like something out of the 50's as far as industrial equipment is concerned. Look at the cage or lack thereof, the way in which the operator hops in the front like a Bobcat, which would never fly in a traditional lift environment.

Have the artists at Bungie never worked a day of manual labor in a warehouse, factory or construction site in their lives? Am I missing some connection between the linked industrial dolly/handtrucks given load capacity & forklifts of the future? :lol

Who cares? I need a Rocket Race playlist, now more than ever! Bring back the beat Urk, start an office-wide wave that ends in the Ninja on Fire jumping through a flaming hoop to flip the switch, I don't care how it's done just do it! There's fun to be had and I can't access it half the time, blargh.

While there are plenty of problems with Reach's story/storytelling, I played the campaign recently, and damn, the ending still got me. I love it; so good.

Pete Rock said:
Sadly enough they couldn't even incorporate contemporary lift technology.

With an overarm design of that style you cannot laterally displace the tines, which takes us back a couple decades, and the entire unit looks like something out of the 50's as far as industrial equipment is concerned. Look at the cage or lack thereof, the way in which the operator hops in the front like a Bobcat, which would never fly in a traditional lift environment.

Have the artists at Bungie never worked a day of manual labor in a warehouse, factory or construction site in their lives? Am I missing some connection between the linked industrial dolly/handtrucks given load capacity & forklifts of the future? :lol

Who cares? I need a Rocket Race playlist, now more than ever! Bring back the beat Urk, start an office-wide wave that ends in the Ninja on Fire jumping through a flaming hoop to flip the switch, I don't care how it's done just do it! There's fun to be had and I can't access it half the time, blargh.

The same key was hit twice, but the xylophone clearly produced two separate tones. Are we *snort*, supposed to believe that this is some, "magic xylophone?"

MrBig

Anyone up for getting a legendary co-op run done? I've only played co-op a few times and would like to go through the campaign again. Last time I did it was the first week for the legendary achievement.

Arnie

Happy Birthday Shogun!

Might nip on later for some MLG donging, although I'm powering through AssBro at the moment.

Got the three multiplayer dailies before in one game of multi-team and got 6200 from the game. More challenges like these please Bungie, I'll be Commander in no time.

Letters said:
Agree. Despite all the problems with the pacing and story, the game has so many great scenes.

I can't get past this one without getting misty eyed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_4fot4Fn9M&feature=player_detailpage#t=190s
Marty-fueled perfection.
:lol Serious?

When she dies it sounds worse than Yanni pounding a keyboard it's so cheesy. When the strings finally do come in, the piano still dominates in an irreverent sense, and the music loses all bravado in respect to the fantastic art. But yadda yadda yadda no one agrees with me. I'm sure some lurkers do.

MrBig

Major Williams said:
:lol Serious?

When she dies it sounds worse than Yanni pounding a keyboard it's so cheesy. When the strings finally do come in, the piano still dominates in an irreverent sense, and the music loses all bravado in respect to the fantastic art. But yadda yadda yadda no one agrees with me. I'm sure some lurkers do.
Her death was probably the worst handled of all of them.

v v There's no time limit. But if you get shot more than a few times it ends.

Dax01 said:
While there are plenty of problems with Reach's story/storytelling, I played the campaign recently, and damn, the ending still got me. I love it; so good.
How long did you survive? I think theirs a time limit cap. I swear I ALWAYS only survive for like 4 minutes.

Arnie

TacticalFox88 said:
How long did you survive? I think theirs a time limit cap. I swear I ALWAYS only survive for like 4 minutes.
On heroic, well over three minutes. On Legendary, well under twenty seconds. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
MrBig said:

It was the most shocking, to me. It was so sudden and unexpected. What confused me the most about it, however, was why Kat could take hundreds of Covies attacking her while a Dropship is bombarding her on Winter Contingency without a scratch, but one NR shot? Dead.

Confused Dom is confused.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:

v v There's no time limit. But if you get shot more than a few times it ends.
I have a bit of a rant about that death in the Reach review I keep chipping away at. I like that character a LOT, and the way that scene is handled makes me angry.

Arnie

GhaleonEB said:
I have a bit of a rant about that death in the Reach review I keep chipping away at. I like that character a LOT, and the way that scene is handled makes me angry.
Is it the fact that one needle manages to kill her whilst she's transparently survived situations much more lethal over the course of the game?

GhaleonEB said:
I have a bit of a rant about that death in the Reach review I keep chipping away at. I think it's one of the worst bits of writing/cinematics Bungie has done in the series, and among the most badly handled deaths of a major character I've ever seen. I like that character a LOT, and the way that scene is handled makes me angry.
I think what's makes it so bad is that
Kat was killed akin to a random sniper in a WWII movie. There was no "OMG Kat" (I know their Spartans and what not, but still they barely mourned her.) After they walked out the door, Kat is never mentioned again at all, IIRC. What. The. Fuck. Most blatant disrespect of character I was starting to like.

Gui_PT

TacticalFox88 said:
I think what's makes it so bad is that
Kat was killed akin to a random sniper in a WWII movie. There was no "OMG Kat" (I know their Spartans and what not, but still they barely mourned her.) After they walked out the door, Kat is never mentioned again at all, IIRC. What. The. Fuck. Most blatant disrespect of character I was starting to like.

Jun mentions her in The Package where they have to open a door. He says "I'm really missing Kat right about now.

But I think that's it.

feel

Major Williams said:
When she dies it sounds worse than Yanni pounding a keyboard it's so cheesy. When the strings finally do come in, the piano still dominates in an irreverent sense, and the music loses all bravado in respect to the fantastic art.
My dumb self doesn't really over-analyze that sort of stuff. I just see a group of spartans waiting for extraction, with one of them holding a fallen companion on his arms, to some beautiful music, I love it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
Jun mentions her in The Package where they have to open a door. He says "I'm really missing Kat right about now.

But I think that's it.

Carter says something in response to him too.

Thanks Arnie!

TacticalFox88 said:
Allow Statler and Waldorf to explain this phenomenon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE
That's pretty much every game on GAF after a few months.

Eh, I still think it was the best of the series, followed by ODST.

GhaleonEB said:
The marketing campaign of Reach showed me a Spartan Team that fight till the end with "noble" action. And if it is necessary, they will sacrifice themselves. But the game doesn't deliver this. Gameplay-wise the mission belongs to the best one in the series(my opinion). And the opportunity to see Dr. Halsey was really nice. And here is another problem: Bungie could do much more with Halsey. Come on she is the smartest person in the UNSC. Dr. Halsey could translate covenant radio transmission etc. But yeah.

Top Bottom