• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

darthbob

wwm0nkey said:
Robot Entertainment....which is almost all ex-Ensemble people lol

Sure, why not?

I really doubt it'd ever happen anyways, as much as I kinda enjoyed Halo Wars, that game won't see a sequel.

Alienshogun said:
Doesn't Team objective only have like 500 people playing it?

How populated is Squad slayer? I know new playlists typically are 2k or under.

Squad is 3,260 right now. It's populated pretty well most of the time.

Alienshogun said:
Doesn't Team objective only have like 500 people playing it?

How populated is Squad slayer? I know new playlists typically are 2k or under.

I don't know why you are so concerned about playlist population especially considering you play Gears 2. Team Classic commonly has under 500 and I find matches in about 30 seconds.

Alienshogun said:
More than I expected, that's near BTB levels.

Well no, BTB has about 7,500 right now and I think that is lower than usual because the Invasion playlist is through the roof right now because it qualifies you are the BTB all stars playlist by playing this week.

wwm0nkey

darthbob said:
Sure, why not?

I really doubt it'd ever happen anyways, as much as I kinda enjoyed Halo Wars, that game won't see a sequel.
With as much as Microsoft is pushing for Kinect games....halo Wars 2 with Kinect would be fucking amazing.

The Real Napsta said:
I don't know why you are so concerned about playlist population especially considering you play Gears 2. Team Classic commonly has under 500 and I find matches in about 30 seconds.

In the case of Team Objective, it's because the 500 people playing are all dedicated teams of four. I don't mind hopping in there with a group, but if you're even one man short then a) matchmaking times increase and b) you're likely to get your ass kicked.

Hey You

The Antitype said:
In the case of Team Objective, it's because the 500 people playing are all dedicated teams of four. I don't mind hopping in there with a group, but if you're even one man short then a) matchmaking times increase and b) you're likely to get your ass kicked.
Usually TO numbers are around the 1k mark during normal times, but don't forget Flagstravaganza is (most likely) taking a chunk out of Team Objectives players.

Oh yeah, the flag playlist doesn't have AL in it :/

clav

Invasion Slayer sucks.

If Bungie were really listening, they would remove this from the Invasion gametype.

I don't understand. If you want to play Slayer, play slayer. Don't play Invasion if you want to play Slayer. I want to play Invasion.

Havok

The Antitype said:
What? This isn't the case at all in my experience. We go in as three all the time, have matches in less than a minute, and stomp on nearly everyone. Most people go in there as singles, believe it or not.

Havok said:
What? This isn't the case at all in my experience. We go in as three all the time, have matches in less than a minute, and stomp on nearly everyone. Most people go in there as singles, believe it or not.

I've always gone in with a team, so I'm always up against people with clan-tags and the same damn icon, lol.

clav

I just left my third game in a roll on Invasion.

The first two times were that someone picked Invasion Slayer, and I played until the kill discrepancy between the teams were too far.

On the third game, I quit because all my other team members quit because they wanted to play Invasion Slayer.

Fix this Bungie.

claviertekky said:
I just left my third game in a roll on Invasion.

The first two times were that someone picked Invasion Slayer, and I played until the kill discrepancy between the teams were too far.

On the third game, I quit because all my other team members quit because they wanted to play Invasion Slayer.

Fix this Bungie.

Yeah, see my previous post.

Invasion Slayer should come up like once every six games or something. A cute diversion or break from the real deal. Invasion is the goods. Everything else in that playlist is trash.

51W-p91D7tL._SL320_.jpg

When it comes to entertainment/ nerd shirts, I tend to prefer stuff like this- subtle, so fellow nerds will get the reference but aren't so blatantly nerdy you'd be embarrassed to be seen in it in public.

ElRenoRaven

claviertekky said:
Invasion Slayer sucks.

If Bungie were really listening, they would remove this from the Invasion gametype.

I don't understand. If you want to play Slayer, play slayer. Don't play Invasion if you want to play Slayer. I want to play Invasion.

It really does. The invasion gametype had a lot of potential. It should not in any way have slayer games in it though. They also should have released a map or two more for it. Only having 2 maps is very very limiting. Well 3 if you have the DLC but I never get it. It's always the two default maps.

Thagomizer said:
51W-p91D7tL._SL320_.jpg

When it comes to entertainment/ nerd shirts, I tend to prefer stuff like this- subtle, so fellow nerds will get the reference but aren't so blatantly nerdy you'd be embarrassed to be seen in it in public.

I think you over-estimate the number of people that care about what some guy on the street or in a bar is wearing.

Havok

The Antitype said:
Yeah, see my previous post.

Invasion Slayer should come up like once every six games or something. A cute diversion or break from the real deal. Invasion is the goods. Everything else in that playlist is trash.
Invasion Slayer should be cut entirely. Invasion Skirmish fixes all the worst problems of that gametype - imbalanced weapon drops, primarily (the Wraith is a joke compared to the Scorpion, not even the occasional Banshee can make up for it, and the Focus Rifle doesn't hold a candle to a good human sniper when the Elite heads are the size of a house). Then drastically reduce Invasion Skirmish weightings. I'd like to see an initial vote of vanilla Invasion on the three maps (Boneyard, Breakpoint, Spire, with Invasion Breakpoint replaced randomly if non-DLC owners are in the match), and a secondary vote of whatever other garbage is in the playlist if morons decide they're masochists and vote None of the Above.

GhaleonEB

Played my five games of Invasion (I assume Invasion Slayer counts) in order to get access to the BTB All Stars playlist. That brought my total Invasion games up to 12. I don't plan to raise it any higher. I don't understand why Invasion was the gateway to a BTB playlist, rather than BTB (I also don't understand why a playlist would have a gateway like this, but never mind).

It's amazing going from Firefight to BTB and back. In the former the gunplay in Reach is amazing, and in multiplayer it's incredibly frustrating and unfun.

It also reminded me not to go into matchmaking without a GAF party. Holy shit.

The Antitype said:
I think you over-estimate the number of people that care about what some guy on the street or in a bar is wearing.
Too true. If people are actually embarrassed by the nerdy shirts they wear then they need to grow a pair and stop being so self-conscious. Nothing worse than being a closet nerd. I wear my ODST and Noble Team shirts proudly.

And subtle shirts tend to look better than shirts with huge nasty graphics printed on them, it's not something exclusive to nerd shirts.

Barrow Roll said:
Too true. If people are actually embarrassed by the nerdy shirts they wear then they need to grow a pair and stop being so self-conscious. Nothing worse than being a closet nerd. I wear my ODST and Noble Team shirts proudly.

And subtle shirts tend to look better than shirts with huge nasty graphics printed on them, it's not something exclusive to nerd shirts.

Ugly, tacky, loud nerdy shirts are the same kind of tasteless posturing as Ed Hardy shirts, except you are advertising to a different market.

Tunavi said:
People in the CEA thread are saying they actually love bloom...Ugh

No. There are people saying they don't mind it, and some saying they like they way it affects the rhythm of fire-fights.

I haven't read anyone in that thread saying they can't live without it.

EDIT: Ok, yeah, I see a few now. :D

Tunavi

Banned
The Antitype said:
No. There are people saying they don't mind it, and some saying they like they way it affects the rhythm of fire-fights.

I haven't read anyone in that thread saying they can't live without it.
Botolf said:
Likewise. I <3 Bloom.
GodfatherX said:
i love bloom, and hope it stays for H4. It finally fixes a gripe I have had since H2 and the BR

Sibylus

Banned
Hiya, Tunavi! Fuck you, Plywood! ;) Yes, I read and post in here too.

I like the feature because it encourages a weapon skill that exists in parallel to raw aiming finesse. Generally why I think features such as recoil and bullet drop can be favorable as well.

feel

Was shat on today again by Pistola and Ogre 2 in MLG. These games against pros are really fun no matter how bad you do against them, I always finish them wishing they had lasted longer.

Thagomizer said:
Ugly, tacky, loud nerdy shirts are the same kind of tasteless posturing as Ed Hardy shirts, except you are advertising to a different market.

Agreed. But subject matter and style are completely different.

There are all kinds of brands out there that put tattoo art of T-shirts now, and not half of them are anywhere near as tacky as Ed Hardy or Affliction.

But the people wearing them don't wear them out of fear that people will recognize the tattoo art and associate them with a particular group. They just wear them cause they like they way they look better.

So if it's a matter of taste, go for it. If it's a matter of being insecure that people might identify the subject matter, then I think maybe you should worry less about that.

Tunavi

Banned
Psh, only noobs need teammates

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=650095982&player=Tunavi

I feel like playing Halo without worrying about my KD so I'm gonna hop on the Reach demo lol

Botolf said:
Would anyone object too strenuously to some sort of jump fatigue? Not a direct clamp, mind, but something that would gradually decrease your walk speed above a certain threshold (with a falloff, of course). End result would be wrecking your mobility if you bunny hop shamelessly.
Objection, your honor

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Botolf said:
Hiya, Tunavi! Fuck you, Plywood! ;) Yes, I read and post in here too.

I like the feature because it encourages a weapon skill that exists in parallel to raw aiming finesse. Generally why I think features such as recoil and bullet drop can be favorable as well.
It'd work better if Reach had dedicated servers and I still recall a tournament clip where a pro couldn't get a kill because of bloom and the other guy just hopped up and down like a fool to avoid death. I do not want Shadowrun milk in my Halo cereal.

Sibylus

Banned
Dedicated servers would be great, I love having them on PC.

Would anyone object too strenuously to some sort of jump fatigue? Not a direct clamp, mind, but something that would gradually decrease your walk speed above a certain threshold (with a falloff, of course). End result would be wrecking your mobility if you bunny hop shamelessly.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Botolf said:

I would. Bunny hopping from a jump off a mancannon landing on Valhalla was bliss. I'd pay $60 just to have the feeling again in Halo.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Botolf said:

Jumping is a bad thing to do in Halo, you get on a set path and you're easier to hit.

blamite

Jv8Hj.jpg

I just had the craziest game of Power Slayer on Reflection. 25 kills, 1 death, got a Rampage and my first Cutting Crew. I just completely locked down the glass stairs with that sword, nobody was getting through there! The constant overshields you get for melee kils are godsend.
B.net link
That was also the closest I've ever come to a Perfection. I know it's not the most impressive thing ever since it's an Action Sack game, but it was a pretty great moment for me. XD
This has cemented my belief that Action Sack is the best playlist in the game.

EDIT: Oh, hey member status! Cool! :D

Mik2121

Botolf said:

Halo isn't trying to be realistic. I'd rather have them stick to bunny hopping like in Quake where if you keep jumping you keep getting more and more speed :p

Nutter

I think I have read it all by now..

Bloom Lovers, comments about reducing the bunny hopping...

I still cant believe they took out Flag throwing from normal gametypes.. Seriously It makes zero sense. But then again a lot of things in Reach do not make any sense.

First they reduce the player speed and then introduce Sprint, all the while taking out flag throwing, did Bungie not see any problems with that? :[ You are allowing the opposing team to catch up with the flag carrier because they have sprint all the while the flag carrier no longer can juggle back to the base. That shit required skill and timing. But unfortunately Reach isnt about skill at all.

Sibylus

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Halo isn't trying to be realistic. I'd rather have them stick to bunny hopping like in Quake where if you keep jumping you keep getting more and more speed :p
It wasn't really a suggestion to up the realism, just something that might make bunny-hopping a little less lucrative by adding a tradeoff. It doesn't bother me, but Plywood mentioned it and its relation to bloom and I threw in a random idea that might offset it. Could be terrible, could have some merit, but it's an interesting exercise to suggest these sorts of things all the same.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Nutter said:

I still cant believe they took out Flag throwing from normal gametypes.. Seriously It makes zero sense. But then again a lot of things in Reach do not make any sense.

First they reduce the player speed and then introduce Sprint, all they while taking out flag throwing, did Bungie not see any problems with that? :[ You are allowing the opposing team to catch up with the flag carrier because they have sprint all the while the flag carrier no longer can juggle back to the base. That shit required skill and timing. But unfortunately Reach isnt about skill at all.

It's a shame too since Reach's improved netcode makes flag juggling for us Euro folks playing with Americans actually work reliably.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Nutter said:

First they reduce the player speed and then introduce Sprint, all they while taking out flag throwing, did Bungie not see any problems with that? :[ You are allowing the opposing team to catch up with the flag carrier because they have sprint all the while the flag carrier no longer can juggle back to the base. That shit required skill and timing. But unfortunately Reach isnt about skill at all.

It's a wonder anyone caps on default flag gametypes.

Nutter said:

Yeah its almost as if these guys want to change the core gameplay from the last 10 odd years and still call it Halo. My problems with bloom dont come from the fact it might be implimented poorly, but just the fact that it takes a lot of joy out of using precision weapons.

Kuroyume

Banned
They removed it because a few people were bitching about the announcer spamming lines about the flag being taken. Amazing how they cave in when a few people bitch about something that's not a problem but when mass groups complain about stuff like Evade, Armor Lock, and bloom they stand their ground.

Nutter said:

First they reduce the player speed and then introduce Sprint, all the while taking out flag throwing, did Bungie not see any problems with that? :[ You are allowing the opposing team to catch up with the flag carrier because they have sprint all the while the flag carrier no longer can juggle back to the base. That shit required skill and timing. But unfortunately Reach isnt about skill at all.
The assault rifle salutes you!
I just pissed in my pants and nobody can do anything about it

Plywood said:
Played 3 games out of 5 of Invasion for that BTB All Stars thing.

My experience has not been fun. :(
I put in my 5+ games of it already and will probably not touch the gametype any time soon. Not sure if it's just the maps, but I don't have fun with that gametype, even going in with a full team of friends. Skirmish is fun, but it's not really like the standard gametype, so...

Just played on Think Twice, actually a pretty fun map. A 3 legged goat was kinda spamming the Bungie forums about that map so I thought it wouldn't be that good.

Top Bottom