• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

ncsuDuncan said:
After all of my steak-related trash talking, I just figured out I'm going to be away from my Xbox on Bungie Day. :(

The reason?
282oobq.jpg

(Pic from the Bungie webcam, strangely enough.)

I'm driving 14 hours south to watch the last shuttle launch.
Make sure to find that webcam and put on a show. Also bring that object into focus.

MrBig

ncsuDuncan said:
After all of my steak-related trash talking, I just figured out I'm going to be away from my Xbox on Bungie Day. :(

The reason?
http://i56.tinypic.com/282oobq.jpg[IMG]

I'm driving 14 hours south to watch the last shuttle launch.[/QUOTE]
I considered going to this one. I went to see that last shuttle launch and there was almost no where to pull off and see it along the coast, and the normal viewing areas are always packed. There's probably going to be millions of people there. Have fun in any case. They're a real treat to experience, I'll be watching it in HD at home.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Just throwing this question out for thought (and because a bad game was just had): Would Tempest work better as a Standoff-style no-sniper map? The (relatively few) games I've played on it in Objective have been kind of frustrating, with a sniper pretty much shutting down the map. It has two rockets and two shotguns, as well, so with DMR starts becoming standard next month, is it needed? I don't necessarily advocate the idea, as I probably haven't played enough games on it recently to feel strongly one way or the other, but I'm interested in popular opinion on the matter.
I think so. The sniper would have wreaked Standoff, and with the extended range of the DMR, it is not needed for cross map firefights on maps such as Tempest. I think it would play much better without it.

ncsuDuncan said:

The reason?
http://i56.tinypic.com/282oobq.jpg[IMG]

I'm driving 14 hours south to watch the last shuttle launch.[/QUOTE]
Is this going to be the last space shuttle launch ever?

I've lived in Florida most of my life. It's weird how space shuttle launches have always been there.

Donat

Neo Member
Can someone in the same timezone as Bungie tell me how many hours are left until 10:00 am, please? I just want to be 100% sure I get one of the Bags this time. Thanks in advance.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Yes, the last one ever. It's kind of fitting, in a way.

Last shuttle launch :: Last BWU (for a while)

NASA letting go of manned spaceflight :: Bungie letting go of Halo

A compelling reason to blast the Apollo 13 soundtrack on loop :: A compelling reason to blast the ODST soundtrack on loop

The launch of an Aerospace legend :: ditto (I hope)

ncsuDuncan said:
Yes, the last one ever. It's kind of fitting, in a way.

Last shuttle launch :: Last BWU (for a while)

NASA letting go of manned spaceflight :: Bungie letting go of Halo

A compelling reason to blast the Apollo 13 soundtrack on loop :: A compelling reason to blast the ODST soundtrack on loop

The launch of an Aerospace legend :: ditto (I hope)
I sincerely hope that everything goes well with this launch.

NASA doesn't need another disaster on its hands, and I'd hate for that to be the story you get to tell your kids. My mom still gets in tears when she tells me about the Challenger explosion.

On a Halo-related note, are customs happening this Saturday?

Sweet!

General list of stuff I'd like to see in the now confirmed TU:

- Remove/tweak bloom:

I don't completely detest bloom like some do, but for me Halo has always been about quick reactions and on-the-fly thinking while in a fight. Bloom frustrates me because even if I have the reticule on my enemy, I might miss because of bloom, which seems inconsistent at best. I would like to see this removed, or at least tweaked so that it's only in effect when scoped on precision weapons.

- Beta Weapon settings! (Especially for the pistol!)

The pistol in the beta was far more effective and entertaining to use in the beta. I would like to see pretty much all the weapons return to their original states. (Excluding perhaps the Plasma Launcher). Remember the Bacon Beam/Death Ray/Beam Rifle? Man, that thing was awesome.

Tone down the grenades and the grenade magnetism. Please. No more hand nukes.

- Increase player movement speed/jump height.

One of the big issues I have with Reach over other Halo games is how grounded the player feels. Everything is heavy, slow and pondering. There is also this wierd inertia in effect, which removes a lot of the fun from strafing firefights. I would like to see at least a 10% increase in speed and jump height.

- Tweak vehicles (Banshee in particular)

The Banshee, as I'm sure we can all agree is an infinitely flipping, plasma bombing nightmare. Huge cooldown on the aerial moves and boost meter, as well as a massive nerfing of it's plasma bomb. Please for the love of God. The Warthog could also use a physics tweak as it currently flips, rolls and generally fails compared to any previous halo game. And why the hell does DMR fire cause it to flip in mid-air? This a 3 tonne vehicle, with a 1 tonne Spartan at the wheel - bullets wouldn't do that!!

- Return of the 1-50 ranking system.

Yes. I know it was often full of boosters, 2nd accounters, cheaters and everything else, but some of the most entertaining games of Halo I've ever played have been ranked. The arena just doesn't work, and no one wants to play it, hence it's abysmal population.

- Playlist Tweaks

Here's my dream playlist setup:

Ranked:

Team Slayer (4 v 4)
Team Skirmish (5 v 5) (replaces Team Objective - contains CTF, Assault, KOTH and Oddball Gametypes)
Team Doubles (2 v 2) (mixture of Slayer and Objective Gametypes)
Big Team Battle (8 v 8) (mixture of Slayer, Invasion & Objective Gametypes)
MLG (4 v 4)
CEA Ranked - 4 v 4 Slayer and Objective.

Social:

Team SWAT
Team Snipers
Living Dead
Grifball
Action Sack
Multiteam
CEA Social - 5 v 5 Slayer and Objective.

DLC:

Premium Slayer
Premium Skirmish

Firefight:

I don't really play it, so....Ghaleon? Any thoughts?

Other tweaks (totally agree with Ghal on these too)

* Shield system: Classic vs. Reach (melee damage pass through)
* Damage variables: independent toggles for grenade, melee, weapon damage
* Vehicle Health: Classic (linked to player), Reach
* Movement: Classic (removes player inertia), Reach

wwm0nkey

Sikamikanico said:
General list of stuff I'd like to see in the now confirmed TU:

- Remove/tweak bloom:

I don't completely detest bloom like some do, but for me Halo has always been about quick reactions and on-the-fly thinking while in a fight. Bloom frustrates me because even if I have the reticule on my enemy, I might miss because of bloom, which seems inconsistent at best. I would like to see this removed, or at least tweaked so that it's only in effect when scoped on precision weapons.

The pistol in the beta was far more effective and entertaining to use in the beta. I would like to see pretty much all the weapons return to their original states. (Excluding perhaps the Plasma Launcher). Remember the Bacon Beam/Death Ray/Beam Rifle? Man, that thing was awesome.

Tone down the grenades and the grenade magnetism. Please. No more hand nukes.

- Increase player movement speed/jump height.

One of the big issues I have with Reach over other Halo games is how grounded the player feels. Everything is heavy, slow and pondering. There is also this wierd inertia in effect, which removes a lot of the fun from strafing firefights. I would like to see at least a 10% increase in speed and jump height.

- Tweak vehicles (Banshee in particular)

The Banshee, as I'm sure we can all agree is an infinitely flipping, plasma bombing nightmare. Huge cooldown on the aerial moves and boost meter, as well as a massive nerfing of it's plasma bomb. Please for the love of God. The Warthog could also use a physics tweak as it currently flips, rolls and generally fails compared to any previous halo game. And why the hell does DMR fire cause it to flip in mid-air? This a 3 tonne vehicle, with a 1 tonne Spartan at the wheel - bullets wouldn't do that!!

- Return of the 1-50 ranking system.

Yes. I know it was often full of boosters, 2nd accounters, cheaters and everything else, but some of the most entertaining games of Halo I've ever played have been ranked. The arena just doesn't work, and no one wants to play it, hence it's abysmal population.

- Playlist Tweaks

Here's my dream playlist setup:

Ranked:

Team Slayer (4 v 4)
Team Skirmish (5 v 5) (replaces Team Objective - contains CTF, Assault, KOTH and Oddball Gametypes)
Team Doubles (2 v 2) (mixture of Slayer and Objective Gametypes)
Big Team Battle (8 v 8) (mixture of Slayer, Invasion & Objective Gametypes)
MLG (4 v 4)
CEA Ranked - 4 v 4 Slayer and Objective.

Social:

Team SWAT
Team Snipers
Living Dead
Grifball
Action Sack
Multiteam
CEA Social - 5 v 5 Slayer and Objective.

DLC:

Premium Slayer
Premium Skirmish

Firefight:

I don't really play it, so....Ghaleon? Any thoughts?

Other tweaks (totally agree with Ghal on these too)

* Shield system: Classic vs. Reach (melee damage pass through)
* Damage variables: independent toggles for grenade, melee, weapon damage
* Vehicle Health: Classic (linked to player), Reach
* Movement: Classic (removes player inertia), Reach
Yes, yes to all of this!

Havok

Sikamikanico said:
I'm honestly curious why this keeps popping up as something that needs changing. Right now Objective consists almost entirely of small maps, the largest two being Boardwalk and Tempest, but Boardwalk is trash for Objective due to bad objective placement and Tempest is DLC so it never shows up. Do you really want to have ten people in Asylum or Zealot, the two staple maps now that Hemo is gone? Even now, Objective has serious issues with spawning and grenade spam, adding more people to small maps will only exacerbate the problem. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but only if the maps support it, which Reach's set certainly doesn't.

Sikamikanico said:

Nice to see quite a few people here think the beta weapon sandbox was better than the final game.

I wonder if 343 feels the same way...

FyreWulff

The beta sandbox is worse than the retail one.

The only difference between the Beta Microwave Gun and the Retail Microwave Gun is that the Beta one had a massive physics push on anything it contacted.

That's the reason why they had the beta. To test things. I still don't understand why people haven't caught on from the Halo 3 and Reach betas that everything is subject to change between beta and release. If Bungie had liked the Beta settings, they would have kept them. You're not going to see a Halo 2 1.1 patch again, because they finished the game before it shipped, unlike Halo 2.

I'm just going to see the same posts in the Halo 4 thread when I see the same people complaining that they should have kept the Halo 4 Beta balance and settings for retail. It's damn near cyclical.

I mean fuck, I miss the Halo 3 trip mine from the beta, but I still understand why they changed it.

But comparing something you spent an entire 3-4 weeks versus something you spent 9 months with much more people pounding on the code and settings... is just a tad silly. Just a tad.

Havok said:
I'm honestly curious why this keeps popping up as something that needs changing. Right now Objective consists almost entirely of small maps, the largest two being Boardwalk and Tempest, but Boardwalk is trash for Objective due to bad objective placement and Tempest is DLC so it never shows up. Do you really want to have ten people in Asylum or Zealot, the two staple maps now that Hemo is gone? Even now, Objective has serious issues with spawning and grenade spam, adding more people to small maps will only exacerbate the problem. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but only if the maps support it, which Reach's set certainly doesn't.

I think the only map where 5 v 5 would feel cramped is Asylum. Zealot would certainly support 5 v 5 with ease, as would Boardwalk, Countdown, Powerhouse, Reflection and SwordBase. Then we have Tempest, Condemned, Highlands and Anchor 9, also easily fitting that number of players.

So yeah, that's my reasoning. THE GREATER GOOD.

FyreWulff said:
The beta sandbox is worse than the retail one (in your opinion)

The only difference between the Beta Microwave Gun and the Retail Microwave Gun is that the Beta one had a massive physics push on anything it contacted.

That's the reason why they had the beta. To test things. I still don't understand why people haven't caught on from the Halo 3 and Reach betas that everything is subject to change between beta and release. If Bungie had liked the Beta settings, they would have kept them. You're not going to see a Halo 2 1.1 patch again, because they finished the game before it shipped, unlike Halo 2.

I'm just going to see the same posts in the Halo 4 thread when I see the same people complaining that they should have kept the Halo 4 Beta balance and settings for retail. It's damn near cyclical.

We all know why they had the beta, and I'm quite aware everything is subject to change. That doesn't change the fact that I disagree with their decisions regarding weapons balance as stated above. However, I did agree with their decisions regarding the Halo 3 beta to release.

FyreWulff said:
I mean fuck, I miss the Halo 3 trip mine from the beta, but I still understand why they changed it.

But comparing something you spent an entire 3-4 weeks versus something you spent 9 months with much more people pounding on the code and settings... is just a tad silly. Just a tad.

Wait...so you agree that the Tripmine should rarely kill a vehicle, or even a Spartan unless they are already really damaged? So basically completely going against how it "should" have worked? Or are you referring to the ability to stick it to vehicles?

Havok

Sikamikanico said:
I think the only map where 5 v 5 would feel cramped is Asylum. Zealot would certainly support 5 v 5 with ease, as would Boardwalk, Countdown, Powerhouse, Reflection and SwordBase.
I can't really argue opinions, but that's not one I can agree with. Zealot is already a clusterfuck at the beginning of every match, grabbing the flag with 5 defenders on Reflection would be even more grenade spammy, etc. And that doesn't really explain why you feel it would be better, just how it wouldn't be horribly broken.
Sikamikanico said:
Then we have Tempest, Condemned, Highlands and Anchor 9, also easily fitting that number of players.
...which would show up once in 25 games because they're DLC :/
I've seen Condemned show up six times in Objective in over three months. That's not cool.
FyreWulff said:
The beta sandbox is worse than the retail one.
I think people forget about some of the issues the beta had - namely, the grenades being even more powerful than retail, and the shallow precision clips (which I clearly remember there being irate posts about). I'm not in love with the weapon balance now, but I don't think I could argue it was great then either.

FyreWulff

Sikamikanico said:
Wait...so you agree that the Tripmine should rarely kill a vehicle, or even a Spartan unless they are already really damaged? So basically completely going against how it "should" have worked? Or are you referring to the ability to stick it to vehicles?

I'm referring to the vehicle magnetism it had.

They did nerf the power (probably to make it harder to grief with), but I think it would have been more effective at killing in the retail Halo 3 if it hadn't also had the physics push when it detonated. I think it tended to push players back from the fatal radius.

Woorloog

Banned
FyreWulff said:
I'm referring to the vehicle magnetism it had.

They did nerf the power (probably to make it harder to grief with), but I think it would have been more effective at killing in the retail Halo 3 if it hadn't also had the physics push when it detonated. I think it tended to push players back from the fatal radius.
IMO the explosion happened so fast the physics didn't really matter, vs players. Though maybe it would have been better with less force. Hard to say.
I remember a couple of trip mine monemts...
1. My friend throws the trip mine next to an enemy, shoots THE MINE which drops the shields of the enemy and then headshots him. Very cool, very fast.
2. Rat's Nest. I take the trip mine, deploy it on the outside area. Soon some (enemy) Warthog drives towards it and the blast blows it down the cliff... Double Kill! I repeat this and the enemies repeat their part, another Double Kill!

Havok said:
I can't really argue opinions, but that's not one I can agree with. Zealot is already a clusterfuck at the beginning of every match, grabbing the flag with 5 defenders on Reflection would be even more grenade spammy, etc. And that doesn't really explain why you feel it would be better, just how it wouldn't be horribly broken.

To be honest, I think tweaks need to be made to some of the flag/capture points on both those maps.

...which would show up once in 25 games because they're DLC :/
I've seen Condemned show up six times in Objective in over three months. That's not cool.

I wish they would do a Halo 2 and make DLC free after a certain time period.

I think people forget about some of the issues the beta had - namely, the grenades being even more powerful than retail, and the shallow precision clips (which I clearly remember there being irate posts about). I'm not in love with the weapon balance now, but I don't think I could argue it was great then either.

I made a point of saying the grenades would need to be majorly nerfed - it's the interplay between the guns in the beta that I vastly preferred.

All of my words are mere opinion though, and no more valid than anyone elses. :)

Tawpgun

Hitmonchan107 said:

I've lived in Florida most of my life. It's weird how space shuttle launches have always been there.
Last Space Shuttle Launch... until we develop a new way of getting into space. For now its paying the Russians for seats on their rockets.

wwm0nkey said:
Megalo confirmed? While more options put in Forge and Customs would be amazing (Classic ++) I really hope this is more than that and they give us Megalo.

thee henery said:
Sick shit. I made a breathless 'oh' for the second snipe.

Did this the other day,

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=19744356&player=The Henery

turns out that the kid in this video is top of of the leaderboards on Halocharts for team snipers in the UK, checked him out because he was ridiculous
That was amazing.

Kuroyume

Banned
WOOOOOOOOAH THAT SOUNDS SO STEAMPUNK

Can't wait to get into Forge and steampunk some indie developers into making great human themed MMOs for the mobile version of Reach.

A27 Tawpgun said:
That was amazing.

Thanks man

As for the aerospace reveal, it's not something i'm particularly interested in but it definately signals a clarion call for Bungie as super independant developers. Are they acting as publishers for Crimson?

Havok

Sikamikanico said:
I made a point of saying the grenades would need to be majorly nerfed - it's the interplay between the guns in the beta that I vastly preferred.

All of my words are mere opinion though, and no more valid than anyone elses. :)
Yeah, I get that it makes more sense as a package. I was just curious, since I've seen that sentiment popping up a lot lately without explanation and I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Edit: Aerospace seems rad. Anything that helps out indie devs is okay in my book.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just saw the Aerospace on Facebook. Looks like I can keep wearing my Aerospace shirt. :lol This is pretty cool though and I'm interested in more details.

DoctorWho said:
Wow. This is unexpected. It's interesting to see Bungie branching out into the mobile space. Hopefully we will be seeing a more robust Bungie app soon.
Not that big into mobile games, but it's an interesting reveal and not at all what I was expecting. I may have to check out Crimson anyway once it hits.

O D I N

squidhands said:
Not that big into mobile games, but it's an interesting reveal and not at all what I was expecting. I may have to check out Crimson anyway once it hits.

Exactly how I feel.

I hope we'll get some more info on Crimson. The 'logo' on the aerospace page makes it look like a medieval something or other.

Although... Some sort of Crimson skies look-a-play a like would be lovely too.

Booties

Banned
kylej said:
I'm working bro. Then gotta hit the gym. Then work on motorcycle.

Then Phils/Sox where we'll both be busy.

Then I will wape. (go eat cheesesteaks for 5 hours I'll be on tonight)

Yeah I fell asleep during the game because I ended up moving furniture all day. I'll probably be around all day today unless I go out and get drunk and watch the series finale.

Tawpgun

O D I N said:
Exactly how I feel.

I hope we'll get some more info on Crimson. The 'logo' on the aerospace page makes it look like a medieval something or other.

Although... Some sort of Crimson skies look-a-play a like would be lovely too.
Looked like steampunk to me, which makes sense since Bungie said a indie dev did a photoshoot at Bungie for a steampunk game.

squidhands said:
Looks like I was close.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I think Aerospace could be Bungie's foray into publishing.

First of all, if Bungie Aerospace is a small publishing branch of Bungie, it makes sense for them to incorporate as a business.

Secondly, everything about BAC makes it sound like it's going to focus on mobile/downloadable games.

Edit: Hahahaha! I love that I also had Weisman in that same post.

Top Bottom