• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

Karl2177 said:
If it's on the same type of shirt Bungie prints on. Those are really goddamn comfy.
Yes, zazzle does American Apparel.

We can hold a contest. Come up with a design in paint or whatever you have, PM it to me, and I'll number them for voting. I'll redraw whichever one wins.

It'd e about $20 each. Zazzle seemed to be the only way to set up anything without a bunch of fees, so I have to order the shirts (at least 12 at $15 each) and then ship them myself

Tawpgun

Hitmonchan107 said:
Did you watch the 15-minute long video? Something is fishy. The girl ripped open time to a busy urban street, and on the marquee was "Return of the Jedi."

She ripped into another dimension/time, that's the whole point of her power. Pretty original to say the least.

Which got me thinking. As much as all of us want a classic, definitive Halo experience for Halo 4... they can't only do this....

Halo 2 had Dual Wielding, Vehicle Boarding and more.
Halo 3 had Equipment
Halo Reach has AA, Bloom.
Halo 4 has ????

KidA Seven said:
Dax having another game besides Halo over Bioshock?

Is this real life?

Also, not sure if I will make it out to MLG Anaheim. I went to the last one in 09 and was pretty fun. Maybe unlimited DR Pepper will convince me.
do it. I'll be there

A27 Tawpgun said:
She ripped into another dimension/time, that's the whole point of her power. Pretty original to say the least.

Which got me thinking. As much as all of us want a classic, definitive Halo experience for Halo 4... they can't only do this....

Halo 2 had Dual Wielding, Vehicle Boarding and more.
Halo 3 had Equipment
Halo Reach has AA, Bloom.
Halo 4 has ????

If we just go by the announcment vid, weapon customization? And zero G combat? I would honestly be fine with either of those if there was a classic set up aswell.

EDIT: Sweet, 2nd game of the playlist and I get the 15K jackpot!

I really hate it when I forget to save vids and they are gone forever. :(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
bobs99 ... said:
If we just go by the announcment vid, weapon customization? And zero G combat? I would honestly be fine with either of those if there was a classic set up aswell.

EDIT: Sweet, 2nd game of the playlist and I get the 15K jackpot!

I really hate it when I forget to save vids and they are gone forever. :(

There's no weapon customisation in the trailer. He picks up a gun, fires and reloads. There's isn't any time for customising it.

Dani said:
There's no weapon customisation in the trailer. He picks up a gun, fires and reloads. There's isn't any time for customising it.

Didnt he shove something onto the end of the gun? I dont remember it very well, I think I was so dehyped by seeing the Halo Reach multiplayer as part of the Halo CE remake package that I just wasn't excited for the Halo 4 trailer, I think I probably went into watching that Halo 4 trailer with a slightly negative mindset and didnt really pay much attention. As im already on this tangent Now that theres a TU im a bit more optimistic for the Reach multiplayer stuff.

Tawpgun

That was from that Bnet post from the guy who apparently knew the inside scoop on Halo 4.

He had great ideas. But many bad ones too.

Hey You

I wish in Reach that we can see who's talking in party chat.

In CoD, it shows the GT of the person talking in party chat even if they aren't playing with you. It would be an awesome feature to have, especially if some of your friends have similar voices.

senador

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
Three choices
Slayer
Slayer Pro
slayer DMRs

Oh. One sec, I'm a bad MM kiddie, better pick slayer. Luv me some AR

I love DMR starts and its one of the reasons I enjoy the Arena. I don't think its quite fair to say that choosing vanilla slayer means its BKs (kinda does). I have friends that use the DMR pretty well, but they get frustrated by DMR starts. It goes back to what Ghaleon keeps talking about with the range of the DMR and how you can be pegged from anywhere on a map. Obviously this can still happen with AR starts when someone pics up a DMR, and I'd prefer just to have a DMR on spawn to combat it.

I'm just saying this to shed light on the other side a bit. I'll vote for Slayer with this group of friends to keep them happy. If we get Slayer DMRs too often and get worked, they end up quitting for the night a lot earlier. They aren't into Halo quite as much as me so they haven't evolved quite as much, and don't handle the DMR quite as well as some of you/me/us. So, that may be a reason many people vote for AR starts, not necessarily for the AR but to avoid the all over the map DMR fire.

I've begun to accept that most people do prefer the AR though. I just wish it wasn't so effective. Like many of you, I rage when I am pacing my shots and landing them, dodging, and jumping while an ARer runs in a straight line at me and kills me. One of the worst times for me too was on Swordbase. An ARer held down the trigger and killed me from the opposite side while I had full health. I wish the magnetism was lowered for it and that it bloomed up much bigger and more quickly, but still was effective with burst fire. As it is now, why would an average player want to use the DMR that requires effort when he can just hold down RT for a kill?

Dani said:

Oh come on, Chief quite clearly screws something onto the end of his then fires it. This hasn't happened before in Halo games so they deliberately put it in. Frankles said there are hints of what will be in the game too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Looks like this will be my new monitor I play Halo on. It's HDMI ready so when I'm ready to get the Black Magic Intensity and a new 360, I'll be good to go. All I need now is the video card and Windows 7 and I'm ready to build.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
Looks like this will be my new monitor I play Halo on. It's HDMI ready so when I'm ready to get the Black Magic Intensity and a new 360, I'll be good to go. All I need now is the video card and Windows 7 and I'm ready to build.
That monitor has a really limited input range, so make sure whatever graphics card you get has an HDMI out.

Tashi

MrBig said:
That monitor has a really limited input range, so make sure whatever graphics card you get has an HDMI out.

What do you mean? The actual inputs themselves? It has VGA, HDMI and DVI. The video card I'm getting has mini HDMI and 2 DVI ports. Also, in a few weeks that will be connected to an Xbox with HDMI so it doesn't make a huge difference either way.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dani said:
Orly?

yskRy.png

Bread

Banned
senador said:
Oh come on, Chief quite clearly screws something onto the end of his then fires it. This hasn't happened before in Halo games so they deliberately put it in. Frankles said there are hints of what will be in the game too.
He screwed in the same thing that he shot into the wall with the pistol earlier, I wouldn't consider that weapon customization, just a new type of pistol ammo.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
What do you mean? The actual inputs themselves? It has VGA, HDMI and DVI. The video card I'm getting has mini HDMI and 2 DVI ports. Also, in a few weeks that will be connected to an Xbox with HDMI so it doesn't make a huge difference either way.
Guess it's changed now, but HDMI and DVI were not standard back when I bought my stuff.

I would just like to say that the last 2 minutes of Skyline in the ODST ost just gave me an eargasm. Thank you marty, now i have a big mess to clean up

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:

Ew at that response time, I just bought the Asus MLG Monitor a couple days ago which has HDMI input and a 2ms response time. I'm assuming you're getting a BMI for both capping and streaming? I have to get a replacement for my HD-PVR and I'm going to follow this to make the capping/streaming process painless (before I had to switch out cables and the like, which wasn't really that big of a deal, but if I can make the process so that I can be lazy about it then I'm going to.)

Tawpgun

senador said:

Nope, it was a new weapon.

Tashi

MrBig said:
Guess it's changed now, but HDMI and DVI were not standard back when I bought my stuff.

You mean on the video card? I can't imagine that there's a huge compatibility risk with buy monitors and making sure they can connect with the video cards. I'm no expert but I don't see how modern monitors and video cards don't support a baseline of VGA and DVI.

edit:

My current monitor is 5ms response time and I'm fine with it.

senador said:
Nah. He was just reloading the weapon.

senador

Banned
Bread said:
He screwed in the same thing that he shot into the wall with the pistol earlier, I wouldn't consider that weapon customization, just a new type of pistol ammo.

Well, that in some form is customization is it not? I wasn't meaning like CoD level customization, but it does seem there may be ammo types or different gun tips or something. I'm just speculating here mind you, but I'm thinking it has something to it.

bobs99 ... said:
As much as it could just be a new reload animation, it really does look like an attachment for the Pistol to me.

Yeah, and I thought that was clear too, like "look, a new thing".

A27 Tawpgun said:
Nope, it was a new weapon.

Dax01 said:
Nah. He was just reloading the weapon.

Alright, I had thought my line of thinking was the common thought, but I guess not. I'll accept this for now and leave it be, but I personally think it has something to it. ;)

PS Man it feels good to finally be able to weigh in though instead of just "yelling from the sidelines". I can't believe it took a year.

FyreWulff said:
Yeah I think we can both agree that the DLC schedule could be better.

3's got all fucked up by Don Mattrick's meddling.

Reach got DLC out initially just as fast as Halo 3 with Noble.. and then Defiant came.. and then nothing. Meanwhile, at this time in Halo 3's post launch support, we know of at least 3 more multiplayer maps coming down the pike.

And now we wait for almost 6 months for the next known DLC to come out, with no indication of any more coming out between now and then or afterwards, so it looks like:

3: 12 DLC maps post launch, 9 of which were new
Reach: 13 maps post launch, 6 of which are new, and only 5 of those new maps are usable in multiplayer. Only 2 post-launch Firefight DLC maps.

I was expecting at least more of an effort in regards to Firefight DLC, anyway. Especially if they're outsourcing all of Reach's DLC production to Certain Affinity.

Yeah Reach had the same issue as well. Two map packs in pretty good time, and then...nothing.

Merguson said:
I played BioShock.

Didn't want to inject myself with some random liquid.

I spent an eternity in that room and died of starvation.

That was my experience with the game.

INJECT INJECT INJECT!

Injecting unknown substances into yourself is always a good idea

Homeboyd

Speaking of DLC, weren't you guys discussing Section 8 a while back? It's getting some new DLC soon. Looks like a pretty solid game.. especially for $15 (and $3.99 DLC).

I really hope Halo 4 breaks the mold of only adding MP maps through DLC. Don't get me wrong, I'll throw some cash at new maps with every release, but I'd love to see some brand new modes/campaign missions/weapons and other things added as well.

Also... I don't know how I'll manage waiting another 4 months for some new DLC for Reach. Really hoping one of those maps houses a new Forge canvas.

Tashi0106 said:
Why not get the Asus VH236H? Seems like a popular choice. It's what MLG uses too.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
As much as it could just be a new reload animation, it really does look like an attachment for the Pistol to me.
I thought it looked like a new weapon. It fired an explosive that attached to the wall and then detonated. I'm guessing it fires a charge that is magetic and can attach to wall/vehicles before exploding.

Pics I took from the trailer...the second one in particular, with the prongs extending out from the gun to hold the charge, make it look like a new weapon to me.

The gun before it's fired:

Gun1.png

Before it's been reloaded:

Gun2.png

With a new charge being attached:

Gun3.png

An outside possibility is the weapon can fire a variety of rounds, and that's just one of them.

The package the Chief is toting down south is definately a new weapon, though.

GhaleonEB said:
I thought it looked like a new weapon. It fired an explosive that attached to the wall and then detonated. I'm guessing it fires a charge that is magetic and can attach to wall/vehicles before exploding.

Pics I took from the trailer...the second one in particular, with the prongs extending out from the gun to hold the charge, make it look like a new weapon to me.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Halo/Gun1.png

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Halo/Gun2.png

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Halo/Gun3.png

An outside possibility is the weapon can fire a variety of rounds, and that's just one of them.

Thanks for the pics, im still undecided in what I think it is, it still really looks like the Pistol to me, albiet a pretty modified one. Now that you guys mentions it I really hope it is a new weapon, and not just a Pistol with some kind of attachment mechanic!

Holy crap at the bolded lol!

senador

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Halo/Gun1.png

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Halo/Gun2.png

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Halo/Gun3.png

Oh wow, OK. These are probably the best pics I have seen from the trailer, and I think you are right that it is a new weapon, sorry guys. That makes me feel better actually because a weapon-tip-thingy didn't sit right with me. Thanks Ghaleon.

I totally don't like how Chief looks. I know its early, but he's got to resemble this in the game to some degree. Though with Halo 3's reveal, Chief ended up looking different so we'll see. I know 343 also says there is a reason he looks different and we'll find out. I'm OK with him looking different, but I don't care for this direction it just looks odd. His chest, groin, and helmet especially look odd.

senador said:
I totally don't like how Chief looks. I know its early, but he's got to resemble this in the game to some degree. Though with Halo 3's reveal, Chief ended up looking different so we'll see. I know 343 also says there is a reason he looks different and we'll find out. I'm OK with him looking different, but I don't care for this direction it just looks odd. His chest, groin, and helmet especially look odd.
I agree. They need to bring back Mjolnir Mark VI.

Edit:
MrBig said:
It is probably a model by whatever company made the trailer based on concepts from 343.

Though I'm not a fan of the legends/wars style spartan.
I sure hope so. I really don't like the design. :/

MrBig

senador said:
It is probably a model by whatever company made the trailer based on concepts from 343.

Though I'm not a fan of the legends/wars style spartan.

Louis Wu

A27 Tawpgun said:
Oh right, I remember you didn't live too far away.
I'm about 15 minutes south of Danbury, town called Wilton.
lol - really?

I'm about an hour from Danbury (via 84) or an hour from Wilton (via 15).

(And an hour from Manchester, via 84/91 in the other direction.)

You guys are close. :)

I'm pretty bad at halo and I definitely don't have time to play all that regularly (getting old, job, fiance, etc.). So it usually takes me a few games to get warmed up.

That said, I'm still not sure how this just happened.

My first three games I went 13, 4 and 6 in squad slayer (playing solo against mostly full parties...and I'm terrible). The 4th game, 3 guys on my team quit out and I end up with 30 kills and my teammate and I nearly end up winning, with time running out at 47-45.

vhfive

Louis Wu said:
lol - really?

lol I was in Wilton last night. I live on the border of Bridgeport and Fairfeild.

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
Connecticut huh? I'm only 30 minutes from Danbury.

I'm running games with 2 guys at the moment, gonna see how that goes but once I have my full squad we should scrim. I definitely have to hop back on GB too.
Blinding said:
Yeah, Danbury is an hour and a half away from me, I'm near Central Manchester.

For sure, our forth for Raleigh isn't actually set in place, but yeah, we'll definitely scrim.
Louis Wu said:
lol - really?

vhfive said:
lol I was in Wilton last night. I live on the border of Bridgeport and Fairfeild.

shypng.jpg

HaloGAF CT/NY Area Represent!

Any of you guys planning on going to PAX East by any chance?

wwm0nkey

From Evil Ottos FAQ's

A: Certain Affinity, under the direction of 343 industries, created the Defiant map pack. When Microsoft released screenshots of the Defiant pack, people noticed a previously un-seen helmet on one of the Spartans.

We at Bungie do not know what 343 has in store with this helmet, and the internet is full of theories. Like you, we will just have to wait and see what, if any, plans they have for ...

So guess the GRD Helmet was not on disc then.....hmmmmm

Top Bottom