• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Thermite

Captain Blood said:
For some reason it seems to me like there has been a lot of turn over of higher profile bungie employees but the only other that comes to mind is Jamie G. Who am I forgetting or am I just imagining things?

Sketch left as well, iirc.

Hey You

Captain Blood said:
For some reason it seems to me like there has been a lot of turn over of higher profile bungie employees but the only other that comes to mind is Jamie G. Who am I forgetting or am I just imagining things?
Brian Jarrad/Sketch/Mancannon.

Hey You said:
Brian Jarrad/Sketch/Mancannon.

Also commonly associated with Brian:

DREAMCRUSHER!
10_Dream_Crusher%21.png

PNut

Banned
Every time a full team purposely votes for Powerhouse in Arena it makes me want to cut someone. I hope to God 343 removes that map and Swordbase from Arena next season.

/rage

Tawpgun

PNut said:
Every time a full team purposely votes for Powerhouse in Arena it makes me want to cut someone. I hope to God 343 removes that map and Swordbase from Arena next season.

/rage
Powerhouse is one of the better maps on Reach. Not saying much... but still.

Agree with Sword Base though.

MrBig

PNut said:

/rage
Powerhouse is pretty much the only good stock map.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have only moderate love for Powerhouse, but I also love Tempest and Countdown, so I apparently have terrible taste. :p

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Select is such a shit tier joke of a map and I mean that with all due respect to the guy who spent his hours away making it.

Tunavi

Banned
It would be cool to have a slayer variant that would make asymmetrical maps work like 1-flag does, so that both teams have a fair shot at initial power weapon spawns. A lot of matches are decided by which team gets lucky red spawn.

Game plays normally until one team gets to 25 kills. Then a new round starts, the two teams switch initial spawns, power weapons reset, and play where the score left off until 50 kills.

That way on maps like reflection for example, both teams would have an equal shot to control the map with rocket spawn. I dunno, this would be pretty cool. Thats why I like one flag so much, it makes asymmetrical maps balanced for both teams.

Ramirez

Tunavi said:
It would be cool to have a slayer variant that would make asymmetrical maps work like 1-flag does, so that both teams have a fair shot at initial power weapon spawns. A lot of matches are decided by which team gets lucky red spawn.

Game plays normally until one team gets to 25 kills. Then a new round starts, the two teams switch initial spawns, power weapons reset, and play where the score left off until 50 kills.

That way on maps like reflection for example, both teams would have an equal shot to control the map with rocket spawn. I dunno, this would be pretty cool. Thats why I like one flag so much, it makes asymmetrical maps balanced for both teams.

On Reflection all you need is one or two guys to ride the lift up, have another guy at sword chucking nades into rockets, you'll kill (or your teammates) the guy at rockets 9/10 times. Most people don't seem to know about this, so they just charge the rockets without thinking most of the time...

PNut said:
Kingdom, Select, Enclosed, Zealot, Asylum, and finally Swordbase. In no particular order. Well, Swordbase last.

Kingdom, Select, and Enclosed are all mediocre at best. Asylum absolutely falls apart at high levels of play do to its awful sightlines. Swordbase does not require players to move from the very campy set ups of 6A or 5B.

Powerhouse is one of the only maps in Reach that I consider competitively viable.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but I strongly disagree with you here.

FyreWulff

Weekly #47 in a row in the books. Even though I finished it Tuesday night, I still think it was a stupid weekly.

Also hilarious that you got almost half the cR for it as a daily today for 1/5th the games won (3000cR for 15 wins). Although I'd like to see more of that, dailies that act as add-on bonuses while you work for the weekly.

feel

I applaud you all for remembering all those forge map names and knowing which is which (both in Halo 3 and Reach), I barely know the name of a couple of the mlg ones. hey should make that picture you can take in forge for the initial spawn, show up in the pregame lobby.

PNut

Banned
Stripper13 said:
You are a bad person.

For liking symmetrical maps were good teamwork trumps all? Ok, I can deal with that.

Ramirez said:
Kingdom, Select, AND Enclosed?

Out of all the people in this thread I would of figured that you would of known how easy it is to control these maps as a team. They are symmetrical and each team has an equal chance to get the power weapons. Tashi?!! Help? /lol

PNut

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
Powerhouse is one of the only maps in Reach that I consider competitively viable.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but I strongly disagree with you here.

Double post sorry.

I just can't reason how you think that Powerhouse is a good Arena/MLG style map. Red automatically has the jump on Rockets and Pro-pipe. A full team of Onyx players win red spawn the majority of the time based on this. There is data somewhere to support this; I know it.

FyreWulff

Letters said:
I applaud you all for remembering all those forge map names and knowing which is which (both in Halo 3 and Reach), I barely know the name of a couple of the mlg ones. hey should make that picture you can take in forge for the initial spawn, show up in the pregame lobby.

They planned that but it was cut for time. They wanted it to use the screenshot system in some way.

Maybe it's one of the TU update things. Wouldn't have to worry about inter-version compatibility because it only really applies to matchmaking, which is online only anyway. Depends on how flexible that bit of code is.

Homeboyd

Just curious. I always see people being vocal about the community maps they hate, anyone care to give a top 3 of their personal favorites? Assuming 343 picks up CC again, it'd be nice to know what your opinions are.

If the 3 aren't in MM (or have never been) throw up a link/pic if available. Are there any in MM (or have been) that you thought worked well/personally liked?

Ramirez

PNut said:
Double post sorry.

I just can't reason how you think that Powerhouse is a good Arena/MLG style map. Red automatically has the jump on Rockets and Pro-pipe. A full team of Onyx players win red spawn the majority of the time based on this. There is data somewhere to support this; I know it.

For the record, I don't think PH is a good competitive map either, I think Reach has maybe one of those in MLG Countdown, and in past games that map probably wouldn't even be in the mix either.

GhaleonEB said:
@game_fabricator Marcus Lehto

not working is strange - it's not in my blood to sit for very long​

Link

So he's officially gone, then. :(

Hope to hear about his next endeavor soon.

Haven't posted in here in a while but that is pretty sad to hear, kinda wish he could possibly join 343. Sometimes I wish we could go back to the old one of the earlier Halo's when a lot of the main guys were really working on the series. :(

Still remember the Halo 2 videos with Jones talking about the game features and so on, man that was a long time ago.

Are we talking about good Community Maps? How about MLG Android, Element, Sanctuary and Redemption?

Especially Android. That map is awesome.

Booshka

thezerofire said:
Are we talking about good Community Maps? How about MLG Android, Element, Sanctuary and Redemption?

Especially Android. That map is awesome.
Android TS is a clusterfuck like Amplified was in H3, people spawning behind you way too much. I agree that Redemption is a good map, and leads to exciting CTF matches, which Android provides as well, but Android TS is pretty awful.

Booshka said:
Android TS is a clusterfuck like Amplified was in H3, people spawning behind you way too much. I agree that Redemption is a good map, and leads to exciting CTF matches, which Android provides as well, but Android TS is pretty awful.
It was great on Flag though. And I can forgive the spawns because the movement around the map was just so good. Element was great for TS and Flag too, and Sanctuary is better than Asylum in every possible way.

PNut said:
Double post sorry.

From my experience, the fight for Rockets is about even for each team, about the same sprinting distance. Other than that, the red team has access to the grenade launcher and hammer, while the blue team has access to the shotgun and focus rifle to start the game. It's about as even as a Bungie asymmetrical map has been in a while. Outside of that, its just a well designed asymmetrical map, with several good setups and a design and weapon layout that forces a solid amount of movement.

In my opinion, a great asymmetrical map is better for slayer than symmetrical maps (see Halo CE) because at high levels of play, slayer on symmetrical maps are relatively standoffish naturally due to the design of the map, with the exception to that being smaller maps that require constant movement such as Midship/Heretic.

As for MLG, they are looking for a specific style of gameplay for their settings. Just because something is not for MLG does not make it competitive, such as Powerhouse. MLG is looking for small to mid sized symmetrical maps that emphasize fast paced gameplay that relies mostly on mid-ranged firefights.

senador

Banned
Ramirez said:
On Reflection all you need is one or two guys to ride the lift up, have another guy at sword chucking nades into rockets, you'll kill (or your teammates) the guy at rockets 9/10 times. Most people don't seem to know about this, so they just charge the rockets without thinking most of the time...

Tunavi and I pulled this off a few games ago (nades up from sword spawn). Felt good.

feel

EviLore received his test shirts, they're very good, so he is now working overnight to organize the store and get it up and running.

MrBig kindly offered to "port" my design to vectors (and polish it up) so that it can be printed using the flock technique (it meets the other requirement that is being 3 or less colors), so he's currently working on that. <3

edit- aaand scratch that, EviLore just said there won't be flock printing for now. :(

Kibbles

Had some awesome 2v2 Halo 3 MLG System Link games tonight, only lost 1 game 8)

Some TS games on Guardian, Heretic, Onslaught, Amplified. CTF games on The Pit, Narrows. All were tons of fun, and just as good as I remember them to be.

There needs to be some kind of code/parameters set up so that you don't play the same people you just quit on. And there should special level of hell reserved for douchebags who voted for a certain game type you didn't want, then quit on your team.

Tunavi said:
take evade out of objective. its game ruining.
This. Also, 2 flag slayer. It's a cool idea for a gametype, but shouldn't be in TO and it comes up all the time. Solid squads just vote for it to spawn trap for 12 minutes and have no intentions of grabbing a flag.

senador

Banned
^^. Feels bad man. :(

Was fun until Tunavi dropped then we ran into the above stuff.

I'm still hoping for some 343 tweaks.

Tunavi said:
take evade out of objective. its game ruining.
Objective and Premium Battle are the best playlists in Reach!

I agree with removing Evade from Objective. It really should be Elites only.

Barrow Roll said:
Objective and Premium Battle are the best playlists in Reach!

I agree with removing Evade from Objective. It really should be Elites only.

It's best on asylum, already across the map!

grumble

Top Bottom