• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Striker said:
Would you consider High Ground a "good" Ranked Slayer map? Because its weapon/powerup placements far favor the beach spawn than the base. It is worse than Powerhouse in that regard. High Ground's spawns were among the worst in the game - it would be the absolute worst if it wasn't for Narrows.

Beach spawn gets: Sniper, Ghost, Shotgun, Overshield
Base spawn gets: Spartan Laser, Ghost

Also beach spawn normally has easier access for Rocket Launcher, and quicker route to nab the Invis.

I s'pose I'm use to maps like Zanzibar and Burial Mounds which, in my view, had excellent selections in their usage. Also loved Terminal's placements for their rifles, Sword, and Rocket Launcher.
I don't know, Standoff's spawns were pretty bad

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Hey, so... timing might be a little coincidental, but HBO is going to be offering a new shirt soon, as well. If you're at all interested, swing by and toss in your vote for color/sleeve options.

Thanks!
Black/white, both logos on the shoulders was my vote. Fantastic design, instapurchase required. I still wear the One One Se7en shirt now and then. My wife tells me that my camo has worn off every time.

Donat said:
Looks great so far but I thought it had to be 5s?
Five seconds is a rough estimate -- if it goes a little over or under, that's fine. I just don't want a 20-second epic introduction that will deter people from watching the clips.

Dax01 said:
What are people doing HBO intros for?
Grim and I are going to produce footage from PAX this year, and we thought it'd be nice to have an introduction for the clips -- make them look a little more professional.

Keep up the great work, guys!

Edit: Uh-oh. Borderlands 2 is officially confirmed. Now it's my turn for my bank account to cry.

HBO shirt is fly - my vote went to purple/white, no sleeve logos.

EDIT:
PsychoRaven said:
So getting back to topic. I was reading some articles HBO pointed to and it got be to wanting to watch the Halo 4 trailer again. So I'm watching that and I realize why the suit is different. That's not the armor Halo 3 ended with. If you look very closely It has the same design on the chest piece that the art piece they used for the temporary cover.

See:
http://i.imgur.com/fsj7P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5fIpt.jpg

So could we be going to get his armor in pieces over the course of the game and if so how did we get that piece while on the ship still?
Cortana sleep rape opening cut scene confirmed?

ElRenoRaven

So getting back to topic. I was reading some articles HBO pointed to and it got be to wanting to watch the Halo 4 trailer again. So I'm watching that and I realize why the suit is different. That's not the armor Halo 3 ended with. If you look very closely It has the same design on the chest piece that the art piece they used for the temporary cover.

See:

fsj7P.jpg

5fIpt.jpg

So could we be going to get his armor in pieces over the course of the game and if so how did we get that piece while on the ship still?

PsychoRaven said:

See:

http://i.imgur.com/fsj7P.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5fIpt.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Interisting, but that raises the question how he would be able to get a different suit. Perhaps cortana figured out how to make some upgrades to the suit with the technologie available on the ship.

I can't really figure any other explanation besides them making a pitstop on some destroyed human planet which seems highly unlickely to me.

Made a new post to Misriah Solutions:

Swag Bags, Golden Tickets, and Destiny maps.

Contents of my Swag Bag:
- Halo 3 OST (Already had it, probably bringing it to PAX to give away.)
- Large T-Shirt, Halo 3 Brokeback design (I wear a medium, another PAX giveaway)
- Halo 3 Action Figure (Recon, with the worst visor paint job ever. Thankfully I have extra parts.)
- Halo: Reach Action Figure (Noble Six, probably my favorite bit of swag)
- ODST Sgt. Johnson print
- Halo 2 spiral-bound notebook (blank)
- Stickers, postcard

Not bad for a $30 donation to charity. Hitmonchan should get the Swag Bag I mailed him before too long, I never looked inside but from what I could tell by feeling the bag I don't think there's a folder or wooden box in there (so probably no ticket, but you never know).
-----
Here's the really interesting stuff from my Misriah post:

Destiny Star Map Composite (brightness/contrast adjusted)

Upper Nebula and Lower Nebula overlay (Work in progress)

If anyone wants to embed them that's fine, I just didn't want to clutter this particular post with huge images.

I also collected all of the pics and info available on the One of Seven/Golden Ticket contest. Check it out.

PsychoRaven said:

See:

http://i.imgur.com/fsj7P.jpg[/IM

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5fIpt.jpg[/IM

So could we be going to get his armor in pieces over the course of the game and if so how did we get that piece while on the ship still?[/QUOTE]
I hope we don't have to see this new suit for too much longer. 343 needs to change back to Mjolnir Mark VI.

/broken record

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
I hope we don't have to see this new suit for too much longer. 343 needs to change back to Mjolnir Mark VI.

/broken record

While I'm not crazy on the design I don't think this change was just them changing it. Hell they've said that for the most part. This just brings up a ton of questions though. How did he get it while still on the ship? At what point does this cutscene or a variation of it placed in the game? Could it not be as early in the game as we thought? Also you'll notice the helmet etc are still original armor. So what made the chest piece change needed? I think I've opened a can of worms now that I noticed that. Too many new questions.

senador

Banned
^^ Frankie has said we'll find out why it has changed, so we know it has in game reasons. Its also probably not the final version.
Please don't be the final version.

Dax01 said:

/broken record
I don't think it needs to be changed back, just changed. It's ok for Chief to have a different suit but I'd like it to follow it's past a bit more. This one just looks bad and off to me.

ElRenoRaven

So watched more and the arms and shoulders are the new armor too. So it's looking more and more like this is the new armor minus the helmet.

Yup no doubt.

mnRwg.jpg

senador

Banned
That's already been established to some degree Psycho. :p

We've only seen art and CG. Surely it'll change for in game, but I think it will overall anyway. This one doesn't quite say "Chief" and they need it to.

ElRenoRaven

senador said:
That's already been established to some degree Psycho. :p

We've only seen art and CG. Surely it'll change for in game, but I think it will overall anyway. This one doesn't quite say "Chief" and they need it to.

Shhhh. I'm giving us something Halo to discuss in the Halo topic. I don't care if it's old as hell. Besides most of the complaints on the trailer came off everyone assuming it was the old armor but this clearly isn't at all the old armor. LOL

It was so about to become the Borderlands topic. Also I don't know why but the more I look at the armor the more it grows on me.

It definitely gives off a Metroid vibe. It's interesting to think that 343i might move somewhat towards adventure while Bungie moves somewhat towards MMO and/or RPG.

You know, the first time I saw the teaser at E3, I was pretty disappointed/luke-warm about the whole thing (partly blame the stream).

But watching it now, I feel that old Halo 3 hype tickling in my bones.

That being said, I absolutely hate the shoulder pads, they look somewhat like Spartan design from Halo Wars, which I wasn't a fan of.
Overall I get a much more bulky (, arguably realistic) feel off the Chief's design.

ElRenoRaven

senador said:
Understood. I don't necessarily want old armor, change is fine, but higher res more detailed MKVI would be sweeeet.

Oh I agree. I do hope we get to see the Mark 6 one last time at least. I think we will too cause Frankie has said that the armor change is explained.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Shhhh. I'm giving us something Halo to discuss in the Halo topic. I don't care if it's old as hell. Besides most of the complaints on the trailer came off everyone assuming it was the old armor but this clearly isn't at all the old armor. LOL

It was so about to become the Borderlands topic. Also I don't know why but the more I look at the armor the more it grows on me.
I appreciated the detailed look, I hadn't noticed all the details.

I wonder how important the new armor will be. I think each new game sees new armor because the art team wants to make updates, to put their own iteration on the previous design. I remember an HBO/BWU post where someone asked Frankie why the number of rivets on the back of the Chief's hand changed, and Frankie said something along the lines of, "You'll find that out as part of the story." And that reveal was, the Chief was being fitted into updated armor in the opening cinematic.

This could be as simple as a moment like that, where the Chief is seen making or Cortana mentions the modifications he made, or it could be more important such as ongoing upgrade/customization feature in the game.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
I appreciated the detailed look, I hadn't noticed all the details.

I wonder how important the new armor will be. I think each new game sees new armor because the art team wants to make updates, to put their own iteration on the previous design. I remember an HBO/BWU post where someone asked Frankie why the number of rivets on the back of the Chief's hand changed, and Frankie said something along the lines of, "You'll find that out as part of the story." And that reveal was, the Chief was being fitted into updated armor in the opening cinematic.

This could be as simple as a moment like that, where the Chief is seen or Cortana mentions the modifications he made, or it could be more important such as ongoing upgrade/customization feature in the game.

Yea I hadn't taken a real close look either. And I remember the outrage over that in Halo 2. I couldn't believe something that minor would set people off but it did back then.

I hope it isn't a cutscene that just mentions the armor in passing. I wouldn't mind them doing some exploring on the outside of the planet/shield world/ and either it being upgraded that way or him finding it. I want to experience the moment though. I just don't want him waking up with new armor and it being explained in passing.

seems obvious to me...
new armor to accomodate a built-in armor lock. no need to swap it. do you like flying/jetpacking?! no need to drop you beloved armor lock! fly like a rock. be invulnerable in the air. low health?! no problem! armor lock + drop shield will do it.
armorlocked sprinting? you can have that too.
metal.gif

Miggytronz

i nerini del buio said:
seems obvious to me...
new armor to accomodate a built-in armor lock. no need to swap it. do you like flying/jetpacking?! no need to drop you beloved armor lock! fly like a rock. be invulnerable in the air. low health?! no problem! armor lock + drop shield will do it.
metal.gif

Zayne will love this

kylej

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
When do you guys get back? Gotta get that win streak going again. Complete the weekly.

I'll be on tonight around 8pm after hitting the gym. Booties will probably be busy blowing Cliff Lee but I expect the rest of you scrubs to be on.

ElRenoRaven

i nerini del buio said:
seems obvious to me...
metal.gif

What about driving a vehicle with armorlock? huh? Huh? Can we do that too? lol

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
What about driving a vehicle with armorlock? huh? Huh? Can we do that too? lol
I remember a Q&A BWU (gawd, every detail about Halo got burned into my brain on the run up to each game) after the reveal of Equipment, where someone asked if you could use a Bubble Shield while in a Warthog and have it be protected while it drove around.

That conjured up that image. :lol

J10

Banned
I hope the Chief at some point ditches the Mjolnir completely in favor of some Forerunner tech.

209px-Ih_promethean_bullet.jpg

But in green. New trilogy, new clothes.

Karl2177

Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit: Uh-oh. Borderlands 2 is officially confirmed. Now it's my turn for my bank account to cry.
Fuck. Social life = dead. I got the original 1000 points for that game within a week of launch. Since then, I've logged so many hours on that game.

Also, pardon me if this has been discussed or is a sour topic, but is Letter's shirt in the store? I see MrBig's and Ruze's, but not anyone else's design.

Tawpgun

J10 said:
I hope the Chief at some point ditches the Mjolnir completely in favor of some Forerunner tech.

It would be sweet if at some point we got some engineers to hook us up with a Class 12 combat suit.

MrBig

welp, off to find something to do for 6 hours
this is just a test render, if hitmonchan likes it, its going to take a whole day to renderetjskgasetyn134@#$

m7YhX.jpg

Anyone want to play Halo? I can't use my computer for much with this thing rendering

Sai-kun

Banned
Letters said:
New girl checks my place out while I'm gone for a few minutes to the bathroom or something, no toys in sight, good! Notices laptop idling in a coffee table.. "neogaf? What is that?" Checks page info "eh videogames? :/". Then notices 18k visits (since last FF install) and that's I when I hear the front door being slammed shut... sheeeeeeit, so close
Do people literally hang out with people who think like this?

Risen

J10 said:

I'm surprised to say I really like that...

Sai-kun

Banned
J10 said:

All over my face. Oh my god this needs to be in the game.

MrBig

Karl2177 said:
Also, pardon me if this has been discussed or is a sour topic, but is Letter's shirt in the store? I see MrBig's and Ruze's, but not anyone else's design.
I sent Letters the vectorised version of his shirt, but he's not at his computer atm and will be sending the files to Evilore whenever he can.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I would be all over a Halo with Metroid inspiration. Keep the fluid combat dynamics, but add a bit more exploration. That sense of exploring an alien world is one of the most frequently cited reasons for people loving CE -- bring that feeling back with Halo 4 in a whole new way.

Good games last night, Sai-kun (we ran into each other randomnly in matchmaking). I was having a hell of a time getting wins in Action Sack after you left. Most. Incompetent. Randoms. Ever.

I played a splockets game where I went +17 and my team lost 50-49.

Sai-kun

Banned
HiredN00bs said:
Good games last night, Sai Kun (we ran into each other randomnly in matchmaking). I was having a hell of a time getting wins in Action Sack after you left. Most. Incompetent. Randoms. Ever.

Yahhh! Sorry I bailed out on you, but I did have to get up at like 9 am today :lol I'm absolutely incompetent when it comes to getting out of bed on time. We had some fun games!

p.s.
your friends list is full but if you ever free up a space, add meeeee

also gimme dat halo shirt

oh, I'd like to add that it was good fun playing with all you last night, and Duncan, apologies for the betrayals if there was any offense caused.

Devin Olsen said:
How soon will these be available? I would love to buy/rock one at PAX :)

I really like it.
I meant to say this earlier, but I'm going to be all over that T-shirt. Why hasn't anyone hired Levi yet?

Hey You

Is Reach not working for anyone else?

I know it was down earlier, first It took a while to connect to the Reach servers and now it says "Playlist data pending download".

Is it a Xbox Live wide thing or just Halo?

Top Bottom