• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

PooBone

Blue Ninja said:
So, he's a fan of "overworld designs" and there's no more 'missions' in Bungie's next project.

If they make an open-world RPG (preferably not an MMO :lol), I'm going to die in pure bliss.

The big problem with open world games' design is always the storytelling. A linear game gives you much greater control over story delivery. Since story was always the most important thing to me in Bungie's games, the idea of an open world game is frightening to me.

The second most important thing in a Bungie game to me is replayability. My favorite games are ones I can play over and over, go to a level select and pick my favorite parts of a campaign and do them again and again. If it's some sort of persistent world where things are changing, the term replayability isn't just something that gets affected, it's removed completely. Even for non-online games like Oblivion, the only way you can pop the game in and go directly to your favorite quest or dungeon is if you had the forethought to save right before you went there.

It's just a personal preference and all, but I've never been into any sort of persistent online world or MMO, because every second I'm not playing I'm missing out on something that's never gonna happen again. And even the things I do experience can't be retold, it's like how a good book or a good movie can be re-read.

Sai-kun

Banned
Okay well I just black screen about 5 times, and then lagged out of a game of Rumble pit, and I couldn't even play TF2 properly earlier this morning, so I'm assuming the connection at my new apartment is fucking garbage.

how annoying.

derp
gLE08.png

Sai-kun said:
Okay well I just black screen about 5 times, and then lagged out of a game of Rumble pit, and I couldn't even play TF2 properly earlier this morning, so I'm assuming the connection at my new apartment is fucking garbage.

how annoying.

derp
gLE08.png
Everything looks good to me. 10 Mbps isn't great but it should definitely suffice for MP.

Your upload is the bomb though, very jealous.

Sai-kun said:

how annoying.

derp
gLE08.png
Garbage? WTF. You have a 10x better connection than me.

Sai-kun

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Garbage? WTF. You have a 10x better connection than me.

I know, that's why I went 'derp'. it looks good, but every other page I go to online times out, and MSN and Skype are constantly dropping me, and TF2 was somehow just throwing me all over the place. Shit just ain't right.

PooBone

Deputy Moonman said:
And here's the stache...
dat_stache.jpg

Rockin stache! I have to get a picture of mine and post it. Standby.

Here ya go. I'm at work and sleepy lookin, but we have a "Mustachio Bashio" concert this weekend so we all shaved down to staches.
6026308358_24f1c5a691.jpg

Nutter

Trasher said:
You should have posted it here lol.

It was back during the Halo 2 days so I don't even remember anymore haha. All I remember is him talking shit all the time.

The MaxPL thing is from Halo 3.

I remember he said I was only good with the BR because I was lucky. (he said, bungie incorporated luck into the gunplay) little did we know he was prophetic about Reach. LOL.

Anyway he challenged me and ram for a match and how he could beat us or w/e and then ram got matched up with him randomly in matchmaking. Franky sweetened the deal by offering Recon to who ever won and well since ram won, he got recon.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sai-kun said:
I know, that's why I went 'derp'. it looks good, but every other page I go to online times out, and MSN and Skype are constantly dropping me, and TF2 was somehow just throwing me all over the place. Shit just ain't right.
Are you connected wirelessly? If so, could be signal interference.

Trasher

Nutter said:

I remember he said I was only good with the BR because I was lucky. (he based this how bungie incorporated luck into the gunplay) Little did we know he saw Reach. LOL

Any who he challenged me and ram for a match and how he could beat us or w/e and then ram got matched up with him randomly in matchmaking. Franky sweetened the deal by offering Recon to who ever won and well since ram won, he got recon.
Ohhhhhhh yeah. Thanks for jogging my memory. I had already forgotten about that.

Nutter said:

I remember he said I was only good with the BR because I was lucky. (he said, bungie incorporated luck into the gunplay) little did we know he was prophetic about Reach. LOL.

Anyway he challenged me and ram for a match and how he could beat us or w/e and then ram got matched up with him randomly in matchmaking. Franky sweetened the deal by offering Recon to who ever won and well since ram won, he got recon.
Awesome story.

Still, every time someone here mentions MaxPL all I can think of is Max Power.

H: "There's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!"
B: "Isn't that the wrong way?"
H: "Yeah, but faster!"

Sai-kun said:

how annoying.

derp
gLE08.png

Try dealing with 50mb Down and 5mb upload. its the worst thing in the world. most days are great but when its bad DAMN its bad.

Sai-kun said:
I was, and I just grabbed another ethernet cord and wired in, and I still just lagged out of a game. Ugh. :|
I got dropped from a couple games over the weekend, as well as went to black screen multiple times in a few others while the other members of my party continued to play. I'm on the stock Verizon FiOS Actiontec router. I usually don't have any problems, but I still want to improve my setup, ideally with a router suited for the full DD-WRT distribution.

Striker

Nutter said:

I remember he said I was only good with the BR because I was lucky. (he based this how bungie incorporated luck into the gunplay)
He wasn't wrong. The BR and equipment, notably.

Karl2177

Sai-kun said:

how annoying.

derp
gLE08.png
Have you done port forwarding and all of that other crap? Mind you, I have a much worse connection(even worse since my ISP crashed a week ago-which is why I haven't been on since) and setting up the port forwarding makes most games lag free. Black screens are too common in Reach though, even when it isn't you.

Ramirez

Striker said:
He wasn't wrong. The BR and equipment, notably.

As unreliable as the Halo 3 BR was at times, I had no clue I would hate bloom even more. Like I've said before, they gave us awesome hitscan and then made it null and void with bloom. :|

MaxPL thing:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9840825&postcount=36497

So good.

We had so many good moments during Halo 3, the game had its problems, but man it brought the goods as far as giving me laughs in the community here.

Sai-kun

Banned
Karl2177 said:
Have you done port forwarding and all of that other crap? Mind you, I have a much worse connection(even worse since my ISP crashed a week ago-which is why I haven't been on since) and setting up the port forwarding makes most games lag free. Black screens are too common in Reach though, even when it isn't you.

I have no clue how to do any of that crap D:

Striker

Ramirez said:
As unreliable as the Halo 3 BR was at times, I had no clue I would hate bloom even more. Like I've said before, they gave us awesome hitscan and then made it null and void with bloom. :|
I think the DMR would be less infuriating if it didn't damage as much to vehicles, and for its scope to be reduced to 2x so it doesn't have nearly the long range it currently has.

Neither weapon is as fun to use for me as the Pistol in Halo 1 or the BR in Halo 2 were. Made everything from BTB, 4v4 Skirmish and Slayer games outstanding. That's not even including AA's and equipment, both which I hope are completely gone from Halo 4.

Sean P.

PooBone said:
Nice. I can't hit IGN from work, would someone mind to quote it here when it's available?

Will do :p

BTW, is 343 in kirkland? I was at the Pancake House there and I believe its right next door haha

GhaleonEB

Sean P. said:

BTW, is 343 in kirkland? I was at the Pancake House there and I believe its right next door haha
Yes, they moved into Bungie's old digs. It's a fantastic studio, Bungie's move worked out well for them both.

Sean P. said:

Yep, it is in Bungie's old building. Otherwise, who wants to play Ninja with me and break into 343i studio?

Gui_PT

Hypertrooper said:
Yep, it is in Bungie's old building. Otherwise, who wants to play Ninja with me and break into 343i studio?

I think Dax is ready after all these years (sorry, Dax =\ )

Hypertrooper said:
Are you crazy? They know our gamertags. Do you you want to be the only person in Halo 4 with bloom?

darthbob

MrBig said:
Don't bother with this. Set up a static IP and drop your the 360 into your router's DMZ and you will never run into any problems.

If you still have NAT issues after that, you're getting double NAT'd from your ISP and need to give them a call.

Hypertrooper said:
We won't break into Bungie's HQ. We will be the Ninjas, who break into 343i HQ :p

I can see the headline now:

GERMAN TOURIST CONVICTED OF ESPIONAGE

KIRKLAND (AP) - A European youth was found by police in a local office building this weekend and taken in for questioning. The authorities were tipped off when the owner of Original Pancake House phoned in describing a window view of "some kind of ninja-wannabe hugging a Master Chief statue". Upon interrogation, the young man confessed to searching for information on "weapon accuracy and spread" for some new technology known only as a "Battle Rifle". This chilling news will surely send the Department of Defense into an arms race with Germany.

HiredN00bs said:
Let what go? People bragging about griefing? Nope.

Everytime someone wants to make a post about it, I'll be there to remind them what a jerk they are being. I won't be dissuaded by a clique of griefers, whether they are HaloGAF community veterans or not.
you should probably prepare to get mass-ignored then

Karl2177

i nerini del buio said:
please, would you all kindly stop complaining about your internet connections?!

T_T
I have reason to complain. My ISP crashed a week ago and since then I've been getting these kinds of speeds.

1425043621.png

ncsuDuncan said:
I can see the headline now:

GERMAN TOURIST CONVICTED OF ESPIONAGE

KIRKLAND (AP) - A European youth was found by police in a local office building this weekend and taken in for questioning. The authorities were tipped off when the owner of Original Pancake House phoned in describing a window view of "some kind of ninja-wannabe hugging a Master Chief statue". Upon interrogation, the young man confessed to searching for information on "weapon accuracy and spread" for some new technology known only as a "Battle Rifle". This chilling news will surely send the Department of Defense into an arms race with Germany.
If I really hug the Chief, it will be worth it. lol.

senador said:
Joystiq should start paying you. They seem to get much of their Halo/Bungie news from you. ;)

Duncan's blog gets a mention too for his post about the ViDoc. Nice work dudes!

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/09/destiny-and-be-brave-trademarks-officially-in-bungies-hands/
Hey, getting linked on HBO is all the glory I need.
But that Joystiq mention is pretty cool too.

Hypertrooper said:
If I really hug the Chief, it will be worth it. lol.

I can't wait to hear Steve Downes in person at the Halo Universe panel. I wonder if Jen Taylor will make it to HaloFest. I imagine her schedule was full
recording motion capture at Bungie
, otherwise I figured she would be on that panel as well.

HiredN00bs said:
Most loved: every objective-avoiding jerk-team that broadcasts their antics
Most hated: the people that defend griefing, especially with fallacious argument

For those not sure about what "cleansing" means in the context of this thread, it's a substitution word for "griefing" (much like "wape" is being used as a substitution word for "rape", although that example is more overt).

My post was a joke about cleansing/halo honor/everything else that you guys argue about all the time. There was no objective holding or dragging the game out to get more kills in the game I posted.

Karl2177 said:
I have reason to complain. My ISP crashed a week ago and since then I've been getting these kinds of speeds.

1425043621.png
YUM!

Hypertrooper said:
We won't break into Bungie's HQ. We will be the Ninjas, who break into 343i HQ :p

ninja.gif

Ninja HaloGaf Assemble!!

Just make sure that you're absolutely prepared for every situation....................

Internet-Ninja.jpg

The savvy lot at 343i are not to be underestimated.

Louis Wu

Sean P. said:
You should try their Apple pancake - it's really big.

I could have sworn I had pics from this year's attempt - but I can only find this pic, from 2006. (My middle son, who was 11 at the time, was making the attempt. KP had $20 on the line that he wouldn't finish.)

Dax01 said:
I touched the doorknob. I should be able to get you in.
This is why Dax will turn out fine - he's willing to laugh at himself. (And I'm totally serious. Good on ya, Dax.)

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
You should try their Apple pancake - it's really big.

I could have sworn I had pics from this year's attempt - but I can only find this pic, from 2006. (My middle son, who was 11 at the time, was making the attempt. KP had $20 on the line that he wouldn't finish.)

This is why Dax will turn out fine - he's willing to laugh at himself. (And I'm totally serious. Good on ya, Dax.)

ROFLMAO. The look on your face in that picture is priceless.

Top Bottom