• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Words cannot communicate how jealous I am of you Halofest attendees... :(

However, it looks to be great fun, big thanks to 343i by making sure this will all be streamed and watchable on Waypoint. I won't be getting much done that weekend! :D

The title update has me really excited. This may finally bring me back to Halo Reach. I wonder if they will be making adjustments to the Arena - for example, bringing back 1-50 ranks?

FyreWulff

4Nnph.png

I AM GOING TO PAX

Now to figure out if I can ninja everything into a single carryon-sized bag.

Holy s***. I stayed up all night playing BC2. Fantastic game. I can't remember the last time I played and enjoyed a game for that long.

And the Nov. 15, 2005 trick totally worked.

Plywood said:
Don't even cause you know Halo with dedicated servers would be a huge improvement over P2P.
I guess my issue is more with EA's servers than dedicated servers. It's an absolute pain to party up with people and to get into the same game with each other.

wwm0nkey said:
What November 15th trick?
I was having trouble connecting to EA's server, and I read online that if you log out of XBL, change the system date to Nov. 15, 2005 and then get back online, it'll fix it.

And that fixed whatever problem I was having.

wwm0nkey

Hitmonchan107 said:
Holy shit. I stayed up all night playing BC2. Fantastic game.

I guess my issue is more with EA's servers than dedicated servers. It's an absolute pain to party up with people and to get into the same game with each other.
What November 15th trick?

Also I would say BC2 is my personal favorite MP shooter this gen till Battlefield 3 hits :)

Hitmonchan107 said:
Holy shit. I stayed up all night playing BC2. Fantastic game.

Dat Arica Harbor game. Epic sauce.

Dedicated servers or no, few games have even gotten to the level of Halo 2's party/matchmaking system. Bungie is simply terrific at that aspect.
As we are already wildly off topic, I wonder what improvements DICE has made to the party and matchmaking systems for BF3 because it's really one of the only things that holds BC2 back. Once you finally get into a good game, the game is incredible.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:

Dedicated servers or no, few games have even gotten to the level of Halo 2's party/matchmaking system. Bungie is simply terrific at that aspect.
As we are already wildly off topic, I wonder what improvements DICE has made to the party and matchmaking systems for BF3 because it's really one of the only things that holds BC2 back. Once you finally get into a good game, the game is incredible.
Halo with dedicated servers would be amazing. Just do what GoW3 is doing and do both P2P and Dedicated servers for some playlists.

Also
you can now invite more than 3 people into a game rather than only playing with 3 other people and if you are playing on the PC the invite system is really really nice, just a simple drag and drop system via battlelog

Steelyuhas said:

That was the craziest multiplayer map I've seen since Convoy from UT 2004.

wwm0nkey said:
Halo with dedicated servers would be amazing. Just do what GoW3 is doing and do both P2P and Dedicated servers for some playlists.

Also
you can now invite more than 3 people into a game rather than only playing with 3 other people and if you are playing on the PC the invite system is really really nice, just a simple drag and drop system via battlelog
Yeah we'll have to see how it works on the consoles though as I'm going to get BF3 for the 360. Being able to invite more than three people easily is the big key. We'll see next month when the beta drops.

Agreed that the way Gears is doing dedicated servers is quite good. It will be interesting to see if they are in Halo's future as well.

PAX talk is always super depressing for this side of the Atlantic (Hypertrooper is an anomaly).

HBO customs were super fun last night, they continue to be a great bunch of guys.

Woorloog

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Sweep sniping: Skillful or not? Your opinion...
With Reach sniper? Luck. That aim-assist...
With Halo 3's sniper and it's netcode, luck. (I remember missing someone by two meters and getting a headshot)
Until someone proves me they can do it often that is.
Cool regardless.

Tashi0106 said:
Depends how often one can pull it off. There's a certain amount of skill/talent involved, as even with Reach's Destroyer of Heads not many could consistently pull it off.

JonCha

When is the HaloFest? I want some Halo 4 info!

I've actually got back into this a little. I've been getting annoyed at the competitive playlists because the gameplay elements frustrate the hell out of me, so I've been playing casual playlists like Living Dead. Much more fun in short bursts.

Striker

Sikamikanico said:
The title update has me really excited. This may finally bring me back to Halo Reach. I wonder if they will be making adjustments to the Arena - for example, bringing back 1-50 ranks?
Outside Jetpacks and weapon adjustments in maps, there isn't much they can ideally change. Is there? I would prefer DMR/Pistol as the weapons rather than DMR/AR, but whatever.

The Arena system using Onyx, Gold, and so on fine in its own right. The issue is how Bungie hid it way in your Service Record and not on the open menu or straight on the first page of your Service Record. That part really makes no sense to me.

I would also not mind having Arena ranks used for Team Objective, MLG, and Classic but that probably would never happen, unfortunately.

Tashi0106 said:

Nah, its just auto aim assist. People who do 'pinpoint' sniping and line the reticule up with the head are far more skillful.

With Reach though the sniper auto aim is so ridiculous that skill isnt really required either way.

Nutter

JonCha said:
When is the HaloFest? I want some Halo 4 info!

I've actually got back into this a little. I've been getting annoyed at the competitive playlists because the gameplay elements frustrate the hell out of me, so I've been playing casual playlists like Living Dead. Much more fun in short bursts.
And thats why living dead has the highest population.

Homeboyd

Nutter said:
And thats why living dead has the highest population.
Yeah and it's consistent too. It's almost like the same people log in to play everyday and they go straight to Living Dead the whole time. I've maybe played 10 games of it since launch and it was probably to try and get some challenge. I just don't see the appeal.. but ehh.. to each their own.

Wonder when we're going to hear our first details on 343's plans with the first MM update. Still getting your feet wet guys?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Interesting. I do think there's some skill involved for sure. In Halo 2 I would argue thaf it took a lot of skill. In Halo 3 and Reach it doesn't happen often at all but when it does it drops my jaw. Fascinating stuff. I also don't think someone who can sit and line up shots is more skillful than someone who whips the sniper around. There certainly are instances where the former is called for but the latter is used more often. At least in MLG it is.

Edit: Hmmm maybe it's just different styles.

Another sniping question. What's sexier, quick scopes or no scopes? I would say quick scopes in general. Show more skill and are just crazt fast. No scopes are really only impressive in certain situations, especially in Reach where even scrubs like Trasher can get them :p

Sweep noscopes ftw.

i nerini del buio said:
quick scopes
no scopes are pure luck

LOL Obviously you've never played noscopes on Lockout. There were some real gods in that gametype, proven by legit video.

Still wish there was a no-zoom option for real noscope gametypes these days.

Alright for the next 9 days I'm unemployed! Lets do this!

Tashi0106 said:
Interesting. I do think there's some skill involved for sure. In Halo 2 I would argue thaf it took a lot of skill. In Halo 3 and Reach it doesn't happen often at all but when it does it drops my jaw. Fascinating stuff. I also don't think someone who can sit and line up shots is more skillful than someone who whips the sniper around. There certainly are instances where the former is called for but the latter is used more often. At least in MLG it is.

Edit: Hmmm maybe it's just different styles.

Another sniping question. What's sexier, quick scopes or no scopes? I would say quick scopes in general. Show more skill and are just crazt fast. No scopes are really only impressive in certain situations, especially in Reach where even scrubs like Trasher can get them :p

The guys I know who are AMAZING at Snipes line up theyre shots and do so with crazy speed. Sweeping always seemed more lucky to me, but it can look cool. Sweep sniping works best when someone is behind you and you quickly need to take them out.

I also think quick scopes look sexier than no scopes, but I do tend to try and no scope more just because oddly I think its slightly easier.

What would you call the sniping here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KlctrgwDD0

Im not going to lie, my montage is pretty sucky, I want to eventually make a proper one using after effects and premier pro, I have enough gameplay footage for a decent tage but no captue card :/ Feels pretty poor posting videos like that up when people out there are literally making works of art. Cant believe I used to be proud of these windows movie maker creations lawl.

Watch the clip at the 5 second mark.

Its more akin to lining up shots than sweep sniping? I dont tend to call it sweep sniping unless the player obviously sweeped across the whole screen but maybe im too restrictive in my definitions.

Yea solid clip, he was strafing into most of his shots.

When you line up a snipe/noscope you want to eliminate one variable usually either the left or the right stick. Walking into your shots seems to be the go-to since if you stop moving to aim you become a pretty easy target, although that situation is actually better in certain situations, you'll see that one when you stop moving or move in one direction and let the enemy walk into your scope set up. This works well when they are chasing you around a wall/corner that you have protection from currently, you just line the shot up and wait for them to come around not moving just adjusting the aim stick.

Always watch out for the jump to because once you know they are in a jump you have a good amount of time to realize what direction they are jumping and you don't want to go straight to them unless very low on health but aim to where their jump is heading them and wait til they move into it.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
4Nnph.png

I AM GOING TO PAX

Now to figure out if I can ninja everything into a single carryon-sized bag.
Where is your flight from? What would be the cheapest way to get there from a New York City area airport?

As much as I missed the monks and classic halo theme god damn if the ODST OST isn't fantastic. I am listening to the Halo OST catalog in order on loop until the fest.

Bread

Banned
i nerini del buio said:
quick scopes
no scopes are pure luck
Pure luck? You actually have to aim at their face to get them. On the other hand, Call of Duty no-scoping is pure luck, you just shoot and hope it will hit them.

I pull noscopes in Reach every time I get the sniper
If it isn't luck, sure it's not something that requires skill (because I'm not that skillful)

quickscopes on the other hand... I do not pull them very often, and when I do I sure feel badass XD

feel

quickscopes are way more impressive and cooler, at least to me

edit- but it depends, regular noscopes are boring, but they can be extremely cool if you nail someone on the first try that is really far away or flying by at a very high speed (I've always wanted to nail someone going up a Construct lift, while I'm in the middle of the map, no success so far)

sweep sniping in halo 2 was easy. other than that, noscopes and quickscopes are pretty equally impressive. Both are more impressive in Halo 3 over Reach

Willeth

A27 Tawpgun said:
Where is your flight from? What would be the cheapest way to get there from a New York City area airport?
OMA is Omaha, Nebraska. Greyhound is probably cheapest from NY, I'd think, but only if you're willing to take three or four days and maybe be beheaded.

Does quick scoping even work in Reach, i thought that was a Mw2 bug?

No scoping takes skill to do consistantly, i would't say it's luck though cause you're still trying to aim at the person roughly.

king picollo said:

No scoping takes skill to do consistantly, i would't say it's luck though cause you're still trying to aim at the person roughly.

Yep, my friend does it all the time in octagon games. It looks really cool when you do it, but I'm really bad at it.

king picollo said:

quick scoping in Halo and CoD are different things. Since Halo doesn't have a reticule that gets larger or bigger based on movement, when you scope it's automatically accurate. Quick scoping is the method of aiming towards the person, and while in motion, scoping so that the reticule slows down and you can hit them easier. For the people really good at it, that action is almost instantaneous

also Halo bodyshots aren't instant kills either

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ncsuDuncan said:
-----

Welp, it definitely looks like CEA won't have bloom. I don't think bs angel could drop a more obvious hint:
[picture of sad spartan]
[picture of bloom being annihilated by some sort of energy field]
[picture of happy spartan]
[picture of a happy Cookie Monster (a very vocal critic of the bloom mechanic)]
I thought it was more like:

914pB.jpg

Picture of flowers fully bloomed, illuminated = bloom eliminated.

Either way, it works.

GhaleonEB

I timed the completion of the weekly Challenge for today, so I could knock off a couple regular Firefight Challenges along side it. Result: over 22,000 cR for one game. The bar, it moved. A wee bit, anyways.

I finished writing something yesterday.

Kibbles

Hitmonchan107 said:
Holy s***. I stayed up all night playing BC2. Fantastic game. I can't remember the last time I played and enjoyed a game for that long.

I was having trouble connecting to EA's server, and I read online that if you log out of XBL, change the system date to Nov. 15, 2005 and then get back online, it'll fix it.

And that fixed whatever problem I was having.
It truly is a sin that game clean have saved films.

Top Bottom