• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

GhaleonEB said:
This moment on Highlands was deeply satisfying. It takes a minute to set up, because the harassment during the flag defense sets up the context. But it has a delightful payoff. (Note I wasn't really going for kills, but rather to distract and suppress so we could flag run.)

Bonus, the game payed out over 12,000 cR.
lol, great clip. Stuff like that makes me love how Halo's physics can create such random/awesome outcomes.

---
I wonder if Bungie Aerospace will have a presence at PAX. Isn't Crimson supposed to come out this Summer? The showfloor seems like it would be a perfect place to show it off.

It's interesting that we haven't heard anything on it lately, especially after that title/demo screen leaked. Seemed like that was something ready for the press to get ahold of.

Oddly enough, the only thing a Google search turns up is that some actor/voice guy named Kevin Pitman did work on it.

From his resume:
Print

- CRIMSON STEAM PIRATES - Principal - Jordan Weisman - 2B Enterprises LLC​

I don't know why it's listed under "Print", apparently the work he did was not in the category of "Television/Film" or "Commercial". It just doesn't sound like he did voice work either; maybe he was just one of the Steampunk cosplayers that showed up for the photoshoot?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
senador said:
Plywood are so cool.
FlLmf.jpg

Okay, I'm done.

So since my cut was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things I was stuck waiting at the hospital to get it cleaned out. So I decided to get Emily (GF) to help me get it all cleaned out.

The problem is my toe is SORE so a little bit of alcohol+a wooden spoon+neoGAF got me through it.

VvfUFl.jpg

VSS95l.jpg

Foot is in tip top shape now, I'll be walking laps at PAX without an issue.

PNut said:
Lol. Then what do you think of?

Slow kill times and poor maps lol.

Reach's may be worse, but that doesn't make H3's kill times fast, or the maps good.

Just my two cents, of course.

Devin Olsen said:

Hmmm, you got me in the drinking mood with that image.

Glad to hear the foot was not a serious injury.

senador

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
Hmmm, you got me in the drinking mood with that image.

I was already about to bust out some Jack and Coke
really Seagram's Dark Honey whiskey
so I will for sure now.

Devin, was the spoon just to bite on? Not sure if that'd work for me, heh.

VV Not necessarily. That last page had to download and render at least 34mb in just images. They were like mini movies, lol. That's not good, especially if the browser has been open a while and sucking memory already. If it bogged really bad, Juices may be right. ;)

senador said:
I was already about to bust out some Jack and Coke
really Seagram's Dark Honey whiskey
so I will for sure now.

Devin, was the spoon just to bite on? Not sure if that'd work for me, heh.
Yeah I used it to bite on while Emily peeled back the flap of skin and wiped out the dirt that was ground in... Hurt like hell!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
xxjuicesxx said:
You guys need better computers if .gifs are fucking your shit up.
.gifs have weird behaviors that screw up rendering and loading at the same time. A beefy pc can easily choke and any iOS device will shit the bed.

MrBig

thezerofire said:
fucking depressing night for videogames. Couldn't get a good game in Halo or BC2
I've tried TF2, Halo, and BC2 in the last couple hours and didn't have any fun. I want Skyrim.

Zoolader

ok just got home and edited that gif some more. I cut the time down, culled the first half, and attempted to do the wheelie in slo-mo, also got it under 5mb. Does the slo-mo look like crap, advice?

ieSCShSwM.gif

FyreWulff

xxjuicesxx said:
You guys need better computers if .gifs are fucking your shit up.

.GIFs are actually worse than movie files because .GIF is basically rendering each entire frame like a flipbook in a row, which requires you to basically store the entire damn thing in RAM and then try to render it fast enough to look like motion. It's essentially bruteforced video, which is why when creating gifs, you want to reduce color and the actual number of frames to take stress off the CPU.

Meanwhile, movies can use tricks like interframe compression. It's pretty neat how that stuff works.

Probably the best video I can find at the moment that mostly explains it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyztYavfFMs

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
Playing reach buzzed. Armor lock ruinin' it a fraction of time.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

damnit.

More or less swears? :p

Devin Olsen said:
Yeah I used it to bite on while Emily peeled back the flap of skin and wiped out the dirt that was ground in... Hurt like hell!

Ugh, that sounds terrible. Now I understand the biting.

Hey, my wife's name is Emily. :)

Zoolader said:
ok just got home and edited that gif some more. I cut the time down, culled the first half, and attempted to do the wheelie in slo-mo, also got it under 5mb. Does the slo-mo look like crap, advice?

http://k.min.us/ieSCShSwM.gif

Wow, so much better on all accounts. Smaller file size, cut length and sped up. Now its watchable and actually funny. Good work!

When posting .gifs, think of them as Forge objects.

*obvious framerate joke setup*

Zoolader said:
I think it's better/funnier without the slow motion. Just my personal opinion though.

FyreWulff said:
.GIFs are actually worse than movie files because .GIF is basically rendering each entire frame like a flipbook in a row, which requires you to basically store the entire damn thing in RAM and then try to render it fast enough to look like motion. It's essentially bruteforced video, which is why when creating gifs, you want to reduce color and the actual number of frames to take stress off the CPU.

Meanwhile, movies can use tricks like interframe compression. It's pretty neat how that stuff works.

Yea .gifs dont touch the speed and amount of RAM I have.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ncsuDuncan said:
I think it's better/funnier without the slow motion. Just my personal opinion though.
Agreed. And the rest of it doesn't need to be quite so sped up. All the other changes are cool, though.

Pretty much nailed my biggest issue talking with Ghaleon/Dani about halo after 1.: Risk vs Reward. Halo 1 you want a better wep? Fight for it. You want a power up? Same deal. You want to get to a higher vantage point, climb a ladder and risk getting buttfucked.

I miss this mentality in designing literally everything on the map and the map itself.

GhaleonEB

Um....link, not embed, please. Ew.

(That looks painful.)

Edit: thanks. I just didn't want to see it every time I read the page. That's a nasty cut, glad you got it taken care of.

Damn, Devin. That looks painful. I might need to go take a shot of Crown myself.

You might want to edit that post though, I don't think everyone would appreciate a link to the photo instead of an embed. :p

Edit: Beaten.
Edit2: Fixed.

Still need some Crown though.

PNut

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
This is the smaller cut, but the only picture I snapped while Emily was cleaning it.

Wasn't ready for that. Wear shoes?

Steelyuhas said:

Reach's may be worse, but that doesn't make H3's kill times fast, or the maps good.

Sure it does. What are you comparing it to? COD?

PNut

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
Of course not. COD is a military shooter, Halo is an arena shooter. I'm comparing them to previous Halo games, H1 and H2.

The kill times in H3 seem almost the same to me compared to H2, even though it was easier to BR and snipe in H2. Halo CE was faster though. No debating that.

PNut said:
The kill times in H3 seem almost the same to me compared to H2, even though it was easier to BR and snipe in H2. Halo CE was faster though. No debating that.

I find the kill times in H3 to be closer to Reach's then to H2's. H3 and Reach are without a doubt in my mind both significantly slower in kill times and more so game speed in general than the first two Halos. Halo 1 is the fastest of course, but H2 is significantly faster than H3 and Reach in my opinion.

If you play(ed) primarily MLG for H3 that could change your opinion of H3's speed and kill times significantly has their settings had both damange and movement boosts from the default settings.

Devolution said:
Juices this game hates us bro. Our randoms tonight, holy shit. If you and me don't play with a full GAF party we're fucked dude.

Yea well the 3 games we lost tonight I did the best. I'm so sick of this amateur bullshit I need to start playing with Pistola and Heinz. Can't stand this AM garb. (not you but I think I may remove Fatal cause he shit the bed)

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo 3's kill times were slower than H2. Weapon damage settings/range is one thing but then you have to factor how much slower it is to move around, bubble shields, health regen tool, shield doors, and lack of hitscan. Also add how long it takes to switch a weapon if you run out of ammo. All those things slowed down the combat. It was really noticeable.

If only Halo 3 never existed... Perhaps Reach would be a better game. The influence of Halo 3 is still felt in Reach. Even slower gameplay. Betrayal system replaced by Halo 3's shitty betrayal system shortly after Reach is released. Superior arming mechanics replaced by shitty Halo 3 instant arm. Overpowered Banshee with fuel rod cannon. Forge. I could go on.

I want to see 343 take a long look at that stuff. It's time to bring back the speed of those earlier games and fix all the other crap H3 has done to ruin Halo.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:

I would have said poor hit detection and inadequate map quality
G92AA.gif

But both work.

You can be jumped by a BR user and still be able to fend yourself off and be able to beat him with a SMG/Mag or SMG/PR combo whereas in Halo 3/Reach with an AR you're toast. Get rid of that weapon unless you're returning it to the Halo 1 style.

Tawpgun

Striker said:
I would have said poor hit detection and inadequate map quality
G92AA.gif

But both work.

You can be jumped by a BR user and still be able to fend yourself off and be able to beat him with a SMG/Mag or SMG/PR combo whereas in Halo 3/Reach with an AR you're toast. Get rid of that weapon unless you're returning it to the Halo 1 style.
I hope you're not advocating going back to dual wielding. It completely fucked up the sandbox.

I hope its all single wielding but with the balance of CE where every gun is somewhat useful on its own. The catch here is to not make something like the AR or another automatic weapon too powerful. It should rip people up close but not too much. Last thing we need is a piss easy weapon to use become super powerful.

Willeth

FyreWulff said:

You should have found a GIF that explains it.

Top Bottom