• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, he was going for a "Metrowned" for the giggles right there.

That was goddamned lag, I swear you guys will never let that go.

Anywho, question for Seattle-gaf.

I have a bit of a dilemma. My plane gets in on Thursday night for PAX at 11:30 or so. I thought that I was getting in on Friday, and had made arrangements as such with some other gaffers, but had to change my plans around for cost-related reasons. (waited too long, and friday morning tickets were 700+)

In any case, any chance I could crash with a gaffer or a group who's already in Seattle on Thursday instead of having to shell 80 bucks for a solo hotel room for the night? I'd even take a mattress or some blankets on the floor, I'm not too picky. I could also reimburse ya with some extra cash for PAX swag or something.

PM meh.

Edit: Whoa new page. Damn.

Woorloog

Banned
JB1981 said:
Gears has best solution - someone drops, a bot is added. Someone joins and replace the bot. It should be perfectly acceptable for social matches
Ugh, no way. No AI. If the game was desinged around people having AI bots following them*, then why not but otherwise, no, no, no, not even in social. Especially not there because that's what i play.
Devolution said:
I seem to recall Halo 3 having less quitters (except for guests which can be remedied easily) because an XP point was lost each game.
Didn't stop me. One XP lost or gained, doesn't matter at all. Not to me... though i agree that it had less quitters. If Reach did have a credit penalty for quitting, i'd quit less actually. At least until have all armor.

*my friend thinks games should have really big battles (probably hundreds of people on both sides), and since it's pretty much impossible to get that many human players, let's substitute them to bots. The point is to get battles of impressive size and scope. Me, i don't mind small scale stuff.

Devolution said:
I run into too many situations head first personally.

I think that's my main problem as well. The only difference is that I'm horrible with the DMR. It feels like I only win like 25% of my DMR battles.

Woorloog said:
Didn't stop me. One XP lost or gained, doesn't matter at all. Not to me... though i agree that it had less quitters. If Reach did have a credit penalty for quitting, i'd quit less actually. At least until have all armor.

*my friend thinks games should have really big battles (probably hundreds of people on both sides), and since it's pretty much impossible to get that many human players, let's substitute them to bots. The point is to get battles of impressive size and scope. Me, i don't mind small scale stuff.

It didn't stop me either but I think it stopped plenty of people. I would just quit out because I was playing by my lonesome getting lame randoms and having to take on good people in full parties. Trueskill in h3 was broken too.

Woorloog

Banned
-Yeti said:
I think that's my main problem as well. The only difference is that I'm horrible with the DMR. It feels like I only win like 25% of my DMR battles.
What is your K/D with DMR? I always i think i use AR more than pistol but in fact, i have a lot more pistol kills than AR kills.... what something feels does not mean it's the truth.

Tawpgun

JB1981 said:
Gears has best solution - someone drops, a bot is added. Someone joins and replace the bot. It should be perfectly acceptable for social matches
Only in a specific playlist. Not across the entire social experience.

But bots are usually bad ideas. They're either so bad you're better off without a player, or they have such retarded good aim they end up helping the enemy team.

Woorloog said:
What is your K/D with DMR? I always i think i use AR more than pistol but in fact, i have a lot more pistol kills than AR kills.... what something feels does not mean it's the truth.

Well, it's 1.31 haha. But yeah it always feels like I lose a lot of DMR battles, even though I apparently do not according to my DMR K/D.

I especially feel like I'm horrible with the DMR when I play with Gaffers. The people that we go up against are [generally] on the same level of the usual Gaffers I play with, and I can't really keep up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A27 Tawpgun said:
Keep that shit away from Halo.

Unless you restrict it to a playlist or something. I'd hate to drop into a losing game.

If they did it like Epic does with gears it would work.

Social = Drop in/drop out

Ranked = You play with who stays (I wouldn't want the bot method they use in ranked though).

Edit: Looks like JB addressed it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
-Yeti said:
Well, it's 1.31 haha. But yeah it always feels like I lose a lot of DMR battles, even though I apparently do not according to my DMR K/D.

I especially feel like I'm horrible with the DMR when I play with Gaffers. The people that we go up against are [generally] on the same level of the usual Gaffers I play with, and I can't really keep up.
Did you feel like that with the BR in Halo 2 and 3? I think bloom contributes to a lot of my bad experiences with the DMR, as does host advantage. I can't count how many times I've been cheated out of a headshot (too bad B.net doesn't track that stat, hah).

omg.kittens said:
Did you feel like that with the BR in Halo 2 and 3? I think bloom contributes to a lot of my bad experiences with the DMR, as does host advantage. I can't count how many times I've been cheated out of a headshot (too bad B.net doesn't track that stat, hah).

I hardly felt like I lost a lot of BR duels in 2 and 3. If I did, I know it was always my bad for not landing the shots I needed to. But at least in 2 and 3 (mostly 2) if I'm aiming at their head, I know it's going to be a headshot. In Reach, I feel that I get jipped out of a headshot due to the randomness and/or bloom even though I'm aiming directly on their head.

-Yeti said:
I hardly felt like I lost a lot of BR duels in 2 and 3. If I did, I know it was always my bad for not landing the shots I needed to. But at least in 2 and 3 (mostly 2) if I'm aiming at their head, I know it's going to be a headshot. In Reach, I feel that I get jipped out of a headshot due to the randomness and/or bloom even though I'm aiming directly on their head.

The flipside is sometimes I feel like I'm doing exceptionally well because I'm host and then my win doesn't feel as "earned" as it could have been.

Metroidvania said:
That was goddamned lag, I swear you guys will never let that go.

Anywho, question for Seattle-gaf.

I have a bit of a dilemma. My plane gets in on Thursday night for PAX at 11:30 or so. I thought that I was getting in on Friday, and had made arrangements as such with some other gaffers, but had to change my plans around for cost-related reasons. (waited too long, and friday morning tickets were 700+)

In any case, any chance I could crash with a gaffer or a group who's already in Seattle on Thursday instead of having to shell 80 bucks for a solo hotel room for the night? I'd even take a mattress or some blankets on the floor, I'm not too picky. I could also reimburse ya with some extra cash for PAX swag or something.

PM meh.

Edit: Whoa new page. Damn.
I really don't know how big my hotel room is. If I have enough space, you can sleep at me for free.(Maybe I have a coach I don't really know) I'm going to arrive Wednesday around ~11a.m. So I have enough time to send you an PM.

Devolution said:
The flipside is sometimes I feel like I'm doing exceptionally well because I'm host and then my win doesn't feel as "earned" as it could have been.

I don't think I know what it's like to be host. I have (and always have had) a really crappy connection :lol

Striker

The Real Napsta said:
SozAU.gif

ZalinKrow

ElzarTheBam said:
Good games everyone! Y'all know who you are! That game on condemned, intense!

Good games indeed! That Condemned match was awesome. I'm glad I've been getting to play Reach with more of you guys, it's been so much more fun since I have :D I still need to send more friend requests at some stage too. Even BTB can be pretty fun when there's 8 of us on a team, it's usually really funny :p

Also, I know a few people are avoiding playing CE before Anniversary comes out, but I'm wondering if I'll appreciate it more if I've played CE recently? As it stands I haven't played the game in it's entirety in what must be a few years. I'm just wondering if people think it'd be better to play it with a vivid memory of CE in their mind or not?

ZalinKrow said:
Good games indeed! That Condemned match was awesome. I'm glad I've been getting to play Reach with more of you guys, it's been so much more fun since I have :D I still need to send more friend requests at some stage too. Even BTB can be pretty fun when there's 8 of us on a team, it's usually really funny :p

Also, I know a few people are avoiding playing CE before Anniversary comes out, but I'm wondering if I'll appreciate it more if I've played CE recently? As it stands I haven't played the game in it's entirety in what must be a few years. I'm just wondering if people think it'd be better to play it with a vivid memory of CE in their mind or not?

I would just wait to play CEA. No need to play it with CEA being right around the corner.

EDIT: So yeah, I think it would be better to play CEA with a vivid memory. Might make it more special.

MrBig

ZalinKrow said:
The game will be exactly as you remember it 10 years ago if you press the back button.

ZalinKrow

-Yeti said:
I would just wait to play CEA. No need to play it with CEA being right around the corner.

Yeah you're probably right. There is the whole switching back to the old look at the touch of a button thing too, so that should be cool. I'll probably use that pretty often actually :p Either way I can't wait to play it! All this Halo related hype is killing me haha

EDIT: Haha yeah, beat me to saying it

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Stripper13 said:
That stream is unwatchable for me (Australia). It cuts out constantly (my Internet is pretty awesome) - a shame, because I enjoyed the 3 second clips I was able to see.

That's a bummer :/ The internet sucks

ZalinKrow said:
Yeah you're probably right. There is the whole switching back to the old look at the touch of a button thing too, so that should be cool. I'll probably use that pretty often actually :p Either way I can't wait to play it! All this Halo related hype is killing me haha

Start reading Halo: Cryptum... :p

Karl2177

Tashi0106 said:
That's a bummer :/ The internet sucks
I only get the lag with Twitch.tv viewing Reach. SC2 doesn't have any lag for me, but Reach will go for 3 seconds then stop and go again for 3 seconds.

ZalinKrow said:

I'm probably going to play it entirely without cutting back to the old look on my first playthrough. Then I'm gonna go back and just do a comparison run or something :lol

Really can't wait! GAHH!

ZalinKrow said:
If I owned a copy of it I totally would! :p I'll try and get my hands on it if I can, although I haven't read any of the other books yet either.
What's your address? :p

When Halo: CE:A comes out, I'll do my school stuff, driving to Pizza Hut and ordering a big pizza,. When I'm back home, I'll turn off the Xbox pop-ups, start playing through every Halo FPS chronological.
The pizza will be my food during this playthrough

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
I get it every once and a while. Feels good to see your headshots actually matter.

New internet!

1443714455.png

Its supposed to be 40/20. It may have to learn a bit, but that's good enough for me. I pulled host several times today. Feels good. I'll have to evaluate it more. I haven't felt that cheated out of headshots because usually its just me not getting the right aim, but I have noticed it a few times for sure. I am most definitely looking forward to no bloom though. I think its the greatest idea ever....on paper, but in practice its grr.

I played a few games today with a buddy after being away from home and they started out great and a lot of fun. I ended somewhat pissed off. I played a few team Jet Packers, then about 4 teams of Invisa-douches who were super camp happy, I got screwed by spawns, and had a few retarded guests and randoms. I hate AAs and spawns. I didn't care about the TU much before, but now I am stoked. I may never leave the playlists it effects. If at least a few of the things I hate about Reach become fixed, the others will at least be more tolerable.

heckfu

Banned
ZalinKrow said:
If I owned a copy of it I totally would! :p I'll try and get my hands on it if I can, although I haven't read any of the other books yet either.

if you have a mac you can download the Kindle app for your computer and download it electronically.

darthbob

senador said:
New internet!

1443714455.png

Its supposed to be 40/20. It may have to learn a bit, but that's good enough for me. I pulled host several times today. Feels good. I'll have to evaluate it more. I haven't felt that cheated out of headshots because usually its just me not getting the right aim, but I have noticed it a few times for sure. I am looking forward to no bloom though for sure.

If you're provisioned for 40/20 and you're getting that, I'd definitely give them a call. I know that ISPs LOVE to boost your speed when you access sites like those.

senador

Banned
darthbob said:
If you're provisioned for 40/20 and you're getting that, I'd definitely give them a call. I know that ISPs LOVE to boost your speed when you access sites like those.

Its Sunday night and I am on wireless. They had to upgrade out at the main line and I have heard the connections really do have to "learn". I also just hooked up the new modem today. I'll give it a few days, hook up wired, and test late at night and see what I get. If its not full speed at that point I'll call.

ZalinKrow

Hypertrooper said:
What's your address? :p

Sweet Home Alabama? Haha :p

heckfu said:
if you have a mac you can download the Kindle app for your computer and download it electronically.

Really? That's pretty sweet. Although I don't have a mac sadly :/ Thanks though!

Hypertrooper said:

Ah okay haha, I might look into that tomorrow so. It's 04:09 now, I'm too tired :p

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
Play MLG. Get killed by invis camping sniper or camping rockets.

Uh sure. Great game. Sure is DMR skill there.
Sounds like the best game ever!

I need to save this film but while playing the MLG playlist a threw a grenade, the guy sniped the grenade......... and me :(

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
Sounds like the best game ever!

I need to save this film but while playing the MLG playlist a threw a grenade, the guy sniped the grenade......... and me :(

At least you didn't pull a FyreWulff and accidentally snipe Dani while trying to shoot the other team in BTB Snipers.

"I'm just gonna use the pistol now."

i nerini del buio said:
well at least they had to pick both them (invis and rockets) up on the battlefield :p

/shrug

I don't care enough to time everything so I have no place there. Didn't really get to tone up my DMR at all either. Too busy gettin' wrecked by power weapon control. Meh. There is no moving from the ground up on that playlist. It's all the same core group of MLG tourney tryhards.

Top Bottom