• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

This kid, all enthousiasm, asks me to render a video for him of "one of the greatest things he's ever done in Halo: Reach". I decide to oblige him, and render it...

Only to find out it's a video of him armor-locking against a sword, and then meleeing the sword-wielder with some help from the EMP. His comment?

"People are always bitching about armor lock, but I think it's awesome."

Le sigh.

Devolution said:
I run into too many situations head first personally.
Same. I've also never played with a regular group, so my team skills are severely lacking.

Sorry to hear about your screwjob, Tashi. :-(

StalkerUKCG said:
Heres hoping for at least a in game screenshot !
I'm expecting more along the lines of concept art and maybe, MAYBE an in-engine trailer. Big maybe.
probably not

Let's just get this damned work week over with, shall we?

A27 Tawpgun said:
It would have to be on the gaming side... And I hate Halo Threads on the gaming side...
Agreed, but they'd only shit up the first couple of pages before moving on to another shiny object.

FyreWulff said:
Weekly #50 in da books, barring whatever 343 does to it
geez dude, what kind of schedule do you keep? I never see you online...

ahh, that explains it. :)

Striker said:
What's it say about Reflection?

Also terrible Weekly.
One team camped up there with rockets, sniper, stickies and very likely sword too and the other team resorting to crouch-walking trying to break the enemy set-up just to end up facing a shower of overpowered and unavoidable nades/rockets/sniper shots.
I mean, seriously, fuck reflection, fuck countdown, fuck every small, corridor-like map where every issue the game has, from overpowered frags to sprint swording, is exacerbated. And fuck every map that has more than 2 power weapons.

/rant

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
Agreed, but they'd only shit up the first couple of pages before moving on to another shiny object.

geez dude, what kind of schedule do you keep? I never see you online...

Depends on the job and what I'm doing. Right now I'm nocturnal, trying to get to daytime before PAX starts.. so as soon as a few of those go up at 5am CST, I immediately start working on them.

Also I've been absolutely swamped with my current contract so getting the weekly out of the way early frees up my time for the rest of the week.

Only thing about working from home is that your sleep schedule (or at least mine) tends to drift. One week I'm going to sleep at normal hours, then it gets later and later, then you realize you're going to sleep at 9am and waking up at 3pm..

MrDaravon

What playlist were you playing where you got so many Revenges so fast? I never seem to get them super often, certainly not 77 in 3 hours o_o

feel

Ghaleon will do the OT6, he will be in a place with a million internet devices and it only takes a minute to get it up (he can clean the OP later). Someone other than him willing to keep the first post updated constantly through the weekend do the necessary Halofest thread for the Gaming folks, we'll keep the majority of discussion and gif spamming here with the occasional comment there, as usual.

Havok

A weekly that requires you to die? Good stuff.

Although I guess if it means I won't feel pressured into playing anymore of the ever-so-stale Firefight (at least til Thursday) like the last two weeks...I can live with it.

FyreWulff

SailorDaravon said:
What playlist were you playing where you got so many Revenges so fast? I never seem to get them super often, certainly not 77 in 3 hours o_o

Grifball.

Kill a guy.

Now he wants to kill you. He kills you.

Find him (sweep reticule over enemies on other side of boxed in map)

Kill him.

There was one game where I stopped to let a guy on the other team kill me. He nodded with his Spartan and I nodded back, he got the message and we traded about 12 Revenges back and forth without ever talking or sending text messages to each other :lol Sometimes I love this game's community.

But even without that, you can average from 5 to 10 Revenge medals per game in Grif if you're patient and target only the last person that killed you.

Weeklies like this are pretty much the only reason I ever even actually play Grifball, can't quite stand the gametype otherwise.

FyreWulff said:
There was one game where I stopped to let a guy on the other team kill me. He nodded with his Spartan and I nodded back, he got the message and we traded about 12 Revenges back and forth without ever talking or sending text messages to each other :lol Sometimes I love this game's community.
I love it when something like that happens.

A weekly with a credit reward that I can get from playing 3 normal games of matchmaking.... Remember when juices you to say "not enough credits will not put in disk"? I think we need to bring that back. I know we will all just play Reach anyway but we don't have to be happy about it damnit!!!!

Tawpgun

Grifball isn't worth a quick weekly.

I suppose I'll get it naturally. But it is funny that its a weekly that requires you to die... And that it only pays 7777... Super lame. Hopefully 343 can switch it midweek, if not lets hope the next weekly works.

As for the threads, it would make sense to have a Halofest one. You could probably start one now if we call it Halofest OT since its less than 7 days to it. Put the panels up, mention the tournaments, contests, IGNs coverage, etc.

Speaking of the contests... Hopefully I get my confirmation I'm a finalist by today... They really pushed it to the last minute. IGN was supposed to give the finalists PAX passes... But unless a finalist lives in the Area I don't see how someone is supposed to make travel plans on such short notice.... Unless they somehow set you up with a plane ticket/hotel.

Maybe they'll offer some sort of compensation...

Anyway, I hope 343 will be at PAX East. Show the Beast Coast some luv. And so I could go also. :)

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
And poof, I'm not going to Raleigh

Man that's awful... so late to be backing out of a team - I don't care if they knew other people IRL or not. Unfortunately it really is all too typical for kids in that community, or many others for that matter.

In H3 I tried to go to 3 different events before finally hitting Dallas. It was next to impossible getting 4 people on the same page, who were going for the same reason, who were reliable... and when I finally did go, it was a last minute request from a friend who had a guy not show.

MrDaravon

FyreWulff said:
Grifball.

Kill a guy.

Now he wants to kill you. He kills you.

Find him (sweep reticule over enemies on other side of boxed in map)

Kill him.

But even without that, you can average from 5 to 10 Revenge medals per game in Grif if you're patient and target only the last person that killed you.

Weeklies like this are pretty much the only reason I ever even actually play Grifball, can't quite stand the gametype otherwise.

I love random stuff like that on XBL. The 1% of the time awesome stuff like that happens almost makes up for the other 99% of the time. I played a few games of Infection last night (I can't believe they never fixed any of the abusable spots that were on these maps day 1 BTW) with a random whose name was "Gundam 1993", and another random kept chasing him around screaming "GUNDAAAAAAAMMMM" every round, good times.

I should really go back in my Halo 3 game history and find the match urk and a bunch of us played against the cat clan, I honestly think that was the pinnacle of our XBL careers and we should have just stopped playing after that.

I tried Grifball earlier, I only got the 1 revenge BUT I did notice that its full of new gametypes that I didnt know existed. What is the mode thats called something like jetpack thrusters. No one ever picked it but I assume everyone has a jetpack lol?

When did they do this update? What other playlist updates have I missed lol?

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
I tried Grifball earlier, I only got the 1 revenge BUT I did notice that its full of new gametypes that I didnt know existed. What is the mode thats called something like jetpack thrusters. No one ever picked it but I assume everyone has a jetpack lol?

When did they do this update? What other playlist updates have I missed lol?

It was the final Bungie update in July that added Blargball etc

also I should upload that game, it's still in my recent films.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
I'll be here, I could do it. Just gimme the thread name.

I'm going to have a laptop at PAX. I'll be keeping tabs.

I always sit down periodically at PAX and hop online. Often there is news about something at PAX I didn't know about.

Gui_PT said:
First Come First Serve

Get 777 First Strike medals in multiplayer Matchmaking. - 7777cR

Better?
Gui bringing the lawls!
squidhands said:
Same. I've also never played with a regular group, so my team skills are severely lacking.
I probably fit in this same category.
Spartans don't need teamwork

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Sweet. When will you be leaving?
Leaving Thursday morning with my wife and kids to play at a theme park near Seattle, and then staying overnight in a hotel (taking a compressed vacation to make up for the one we canceled last week - sick kid). That was it's just a 20 minute or so drive to the Convention Center in the morning.

FyreWulff said:
It was the final Bungie update in July that added Blargball etc

also I should upload that game, it's still in my recent films.

Is there a list of the stuff that update added anywhere I cant find anything on Bnet. :/

Willeth

SailorDaravon said:
I love random stuff like that on XBL. The 1% of the time awesome stuff like that happens almost makes up for the other 99% of the time. I played a few games of Infection last night (I can't believe they never fixed any of the abusable spots that were on these maps day 1 BTW) with a random whose name was "Gundam 1993", and another random kept chasing him around screaming "GUNDAAAAAAAMMMM" every round, good times.

I should really go back in my Halo 3 game history and find the match urk and a bunch of us played against the cat clan, I honestly think that was the pinnacle of our XBL careers and we should have just stopped playing after that.
I have a couple of those moments. One of my favourites is when a dude in Rocket Race had one of those headset attachments where you could play audio macros. We got into the game and as he'd approach and fly past you could hear him on proximity voice playing Yakety Sax in the distance, getting louder as he got close and then blowing past and fading away. I don't think I've laughed harder playing Halo.

The other moment was also in Rocket Race, actually. I'd gone in with a friend and when we got into the lobby a dude on an opposing team left. The other guys started jeering and making fun of him for having to play the match on his own, but he stayed, which we thought was worth rewarding. So I gunned it over to him, my passenger got off, and honked my horn and told him through proximity voice to get on. In Halo 3, only the passenger going through the point counted, so I motored round the map getting him points while my teammate went round on foot and screwed with the other guys. We came second, and the lone guy came first on the back of my Mongoose.

Gui_PT

Gabotron ES said:
Uploaded the collage to imgur, they should keep their original size now.

New download links:
Spartan Collage 1980x1020 (Darker)
Spartan Collage 1980x1020 (Brighter)

Cleaner version featuring Yeti
Cleaner version featuring Dug

Great work. Thanks for the new wallpaper for my work computer ;)

GhaleonEB said:
Leaving Thursday morning with my wife and kids to play at a theme park near Seattle, and then staying overnight in a hotel (taking a compressed vacation to make up for the one we canceled last week - sick kid). That was it's just a 20 minute or so drive to the Convention Center in the morning.

Wish I could go. Have fun!

feel

imgur maintains size but still downgrades quality. You really should provide a proper download link separate from the "preview" ones.

feel

Gabotron ES said:
Should I use dropbox instead?
would be nice, but I'm not sure how well it handles high traffic, it held well during the rush for the halogaf fap album, but a link on a possible waypoint tweet is worse.

edit-

Claude > *

i nerini del buio said:
edit. how does the game manage to hold 150k players every night is mind boggling
I would rather play Halo3 if there was enough people to make the netcode work properly :/ Last time there were spartans warping and teleporting everywhere, i.e. unplayable
I'll be playing Halo 3 this week. Send me a friend request: thezerofire

Captain Blood said:
I miss rocket race. That shit was a blast in H3 :/
Rocket Hog Race is a poor substitute.

Tawpgun

Captain Blood said:
I miss rocket race. That shit was a blast in H3 :/
So good. Remember when it had its own playlist too? Unfortunately Reach Rocket Race sucks because of the physics changes. Can't launch effectively anymore.

Same goes for grifball. Loved that shit in H3. Boring as hell in Reach.

What Reach still really needs is a Race playlist. There are so many great community tracks.

Speaking of Playlists... is 343 planning on revealing their playlist manager? What about forming an optimatch forum?

Top Bottom