• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

wwm0nkey said:
Frankie already said the Halo CE pistol is one of the things being worked on for the TU
Something I have wanted since the early Halo 2 modding days was a way for gametypes to control Rate of Fire and the damage values of individual weapons in MP. That would allow for players to completely fine tune their experience.

Homeboyd

wwm0nkey said:
In the G4 interview. Playing Deus Ex right now but will get you a link in a bit.
Source

Excerpt:
Another example of a possible change that might come to Combat Evolved Anniversary is the fan-favorite pistol. While the overpowered little beauty will still be the same beast it always was in campaign mode, the multiplayer version might -- emphasis on might -- be changed a little bit.

A27_StarWolf said:
EPIC LULZ. PULLED QUOTE FROM PODCAST

"I hope someone doesn't just pull that one bit from the recording because they are mad"

someone shouts in anger:

"FYREWOLFFFFFFFFFFF!"

I can't let this be missed.

Awesome Barlow said:
Something I have wanted since the early Halo 2 modding days was a way for gametypes to control Rate of Fire and the damage values of individual weapons in MP. That would allow for players to completely fine tune their experience.

I've wanted separate sensitivities for different weapons for a while now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:
Candymaking is a hobby of mine, but the batches are necessarily large. So, I look for any kind of gathering as an excuse to make some, keep a few, and share the rest.

PAX is one such excuse. Trying something new, but it makes a pretty hefty batch. So, I'm bringing the bulk for for line muchies at PAX.

I'm making a soft caramel (think Rolos), dropping spoonfuls over a bed of Virgina roasted peanuts to form clusters, and then dipping those in chocolate. Basically turtles but with nuts I actually like.

REMEMBER US - REMEMBER FANS ARE JUST LITTLE PEOPLE!!!!

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
That was easily the best Sparkcast they've done, and about four hours too short. And that's saying something, considering the great guests David and Frankie have had on the cast (and the two hosts themselves, they're excellent). I could listen to Jaime talk Halo and design all day.

Sean P. said:
So what maps are we for sure on getting remade?

For Sure

Hang 'em High/Tombstone
Beaver Creek
Damnation.

Timberland is almost a shoe in based on the evidence.

Which leaves 2 MP maps and a Firefight map.

feel

Fantastic podcast, great work guys! Love Griesemer!

Who mocked Fyrewulff at the end?? :lol :lol

edit- haha starwolf noticed it too

Willeth

Dammit, this Sparkast better show up in my iTunes before I have to leave for my flight in four hours or I'm going to be IRRITATED.

Homeboyd said:
Source

Excerpt:
Another example of a possible change that might come to Combat Evolved Anniversary is the fan-favorite pistol. While the overpowered little beauty will still be the same beast it always was in campaign mode, the multiplayer version might -- emphasis on might -- be changed a little bit.
Ah, okay. As I thought.

That quote isn't Frankie.

What wwm0nkey said:
"Frankie already said the Halo CE pistol is one of the things being worked on for the TU."

What he should have said:
"Adam Rosenberg of G4tv.com said the Reach pistol might be changed a little bit."

Letters said:

I played it back maybe 5 times lol.

I was actually deathly afraid some sort of reference would be made to the 1v1...

StalkerUKCG said:
Any source? if so thats only 2 unknown maps and a firefight.

O'Connor confirmed that Anniversary will include seven multiplayer maps in all, one of which is dedicated entirely to Firefight mode. "Some of them are from Halo, maybe one is from Halo 2 and people have already spotted the Timberland map from Halo PC in there."

Source

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Willeth said:
Dammit, this Sparkast better show up in my iTunes before I have to leave for my flight in four hours or I'm going to be IRRITATED.

Not sure why the RSS feed hasn't updated on iTunes or Zune quite yet. You can always add the RSS feed to iTunes manually. It will then work like any podcast that you subscribed to.

lybertyboy said:
Not sure why the RSS feed hasn't updated on iTunes or Zune quite yet. You can always add the RSS feed to iTunes manually. It will then work like any podcast that you subscribed to.

I remember one time the feed wasn't updated or something and I posted that I could not get the podcast on iTunes and you worked your magic and suddenly it was in my iTunes.

Also, Roosterteeth podcast today as well...too much podcast!

Cranzor

StalkerUKCG said:
For Sure

Hang 'em High/Tombstone
Beaver Creek
Damnation.

Timberland is almost a shoe in based on the evidence.

Which leaves 2 MP maps and a Firefight map.

If they're remaking maps that have already been remade, how about a Chill Out remake (preferably one that is better than Cold Storage) and maybe Wizard. Please, no Chiron. For the love of god.

I used to play Halo 3 a ton, probably my most played game ever. I've barely played Reach but hopefully if I get an Xbox again I'll play more Reach and post in here instead of lurking.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:

Whaaaa he's on the show? I have to get home and listen.

Cranzor said:
If they're remaking maps that have already been remade, how about a Chill Out remake (preferably one that is better than Cold Storage) and maybe Wizard. Please, no Chiron. For the love of god.

I used to play Halo 3 a ton, probably my most played game ever. I've barely played Reach but hopefully if I get an Xbox again I'll play more Reach and post in here instead of lurking.
They've already said that no maps already available on 360 are being remade.

Can someone write a summary or write-up of the sparkast?

Homeboyd said:
Summary!

Thanks!
Make sure you listen when you get home because there's no way I'm going to do this incredible podcast justice.
  • Jaime joined Bungie from the test ranks (after strongarming Marty in an interview for a Myth fansite) and then just (at least according to him) refused to leave when Myth 2 shipped
  • B30 (aka Silent Cartographer) - the perfect test bed for all of their sandbox elements (and the first one they got up and running), no actual story - it's essentially an island full of MacGuffins - but it has really well refined encounters because of iteration, some talk about the importance of interior encounters and how nice a remote island is to the GPU (because there's nothing to render on the horizon) and how a circular shape means the player is never really lost, beach storming is all scripted (when X enemies die... Covenant retreat and humans push forward)
  • User experience testing and the fact that the narrative had reached more of a critical mass are cited as reasons why later games have less time to just cruise around in silence admiring the scenery, catching your breath - he contends that it would not have felt the same to cruise a silent valley halfway through Halo 3 than it did on Silent Cartographer, for example, and he may be right given how helter skelter things had gotten in the story by then
  • Library intentions: The Library was initially an open space, with the index in view at all times, but this was the exact opposite of Silent Cartographer in terms of playing nice with the GPU, so it morphed into the more enclosed areas we now know and love (right?), he talks about how 343i's graphical tweaks make it feel more like the original intended design
  • 343 GS might have been the most difficult level to create - every designer touched it at some point and it eventually came to him, they discuss the graphical changes here as well (with a shout-out to Ghaleon's fog complaint) - the fog was definitely intended to set the mood but it also was to hide some technical shortcomings (no, not draw distance, but number of enemies as the level crescendoes around the Forerunner tower in the swamp)
  • Of course, the M6D debate - its damage is exactly how it's supposed to be in Campaign. The doubled damage in multiplayer was a unilateral decision by (someone who will not be named), Editors would use a "spreadsheet" to change values, which would compile to a cache file to be read by the game - he-who-was-not-named changed the way the cache file would load so that it was always glorious Three Shot Kills, no matter what designers did to their spreadsheet (this was so late in the process that nobody else was allowed to touch the cache at that time - sounds like Jones to me)
  • PISTOL HINT ("It was fun on System Link... and it could be fun again, who knows?")
  • Important with pistol that people be playing others of similar skill, which devolved into a discussion of "skill weapons" that had me rolling my eyes. Wish they hadn't gotten sidetracked for so long. Kudos to Ellis for drawing it back
  • Marketing research for Halo - Halo and Covenant were weak names/titles, Frankie with "Haro" joke, "This game has potential to be a solid performer" was the official stance of Microsoft marketing, they wanted Master Chief's name changed to The Commando (Master Chief was chosen because "it was the highest rank you can achieve and still be expendable"), other requests: exposed faces to add empathy, third person request
  • Trip to Middle East to let military play Halo 3 was a fond memory
  • Fyrewulff call out (lol, u mad)
  • Sucker Punch feels like Bungie back in the days of Halo 1

EDIT: Almost forgot - they had so little time during the H1 crunch that they were seriously considering cutting the shotgun. Part of the reason every weapon in Halo 1 is so useful (and none is a BFG) is that with relatively few sandbox elements (vehicles, enemies, weapons), it became that much more important to make sure every single one played a compelling role.

MrBig

StalkerUKCG said:
Some people are starting to learn the name but others arnt and its confusing.
whoops

Also Frankie talking about some people complaining about the GS fog, said that was a choice for CEA with the original to fall back on for that setting. Doesn't make much sense to me since they were talking about them specifically adding the fog for the feeling they wanted to give to the level

Syracuse022 said:
EDIT: Almost forgot - they had so little time during the H1 crunch that they were seriously considering cutting the shotgun. Part of the reason every weapon in Halo 1 is so useful (and none is a BFG) is that with relatively few sandbox elements (vehicles, enemies, weapons), it became that much more important to make sure every single one played a compelling role.
I like this design best. Almost no overlap, and everything does what it's supposed to.

Also playing CE last night reminded me of how beastly the AR was. You died in a matter of seconds, especially if more than one person was shooting you

feel

Syracuse022 said:
[*] 343 GS might have been the most difficult level to create - every designer touched it at some point and it eventually came to him, they discuss the graphical changes here as well (with a shout-out to Ghaleon's fog complaint) - the fog was definitely intended to set the mood but it also was to hide some technical shortcomings (no, not draw distance, but number of enemies as the level crescendoes around the Forerunner tower in the swamp)
:lol

There was a whole bunch of people on gaf, twitter, youtube and waypoint bitching about that. Reaching a bit too far making that a gaffer shoutout, specially Ghaleon who I'm pretty sure doesn't care much about Halo1 and never comments on CEA campaign other than to show interest in the Terminals and dislike for the original gameplay. Unless I missed something.

edit- I agree that CEA's 343gs needs some fog, maybe not to the extent of the original, but some.

MrBig said:
:lol at them being gaurding of the build names that are still names that way on PC and the xbox architecture. All the subsequent games are still labeled like this as well.

Their not guarding the names, if you listen he says its because alot of people dont understand what things like a10 mean. Obviously its ingrained within the devs mindset to call the maps the dev name and that translates to interviews ect which can confused fans.

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:
Yeah I was missing the fog from CEA graphics also.... It looks pretty... not as scary and ominous.

Yup that was my one complaint of the 343 Guilty Spark showing. I knew it was a combination of both but I do hope that they do add a little fog back in.

Yes it was Jason that changed the pistol to what it became. I remember a video or interview talking about it being a last minute call by him.

Overall I'm loving the podcast.

MrBig

StalkerUKCG said:
Their not guarding the names, if you listen he says its because alot of people dont understand what things like a10 mean. Obviously its ingrained within the devs mindset to call the maps the dev name and that translates to interviews ect which can confused fans.
I thought he said something along the lines of "people are starting to catch on"

Willeth

lybertyboy said:
Yeah, iTunes can sometimes take a while, they tend to update in waves and the mobile version updates later than the desktop one. I'll be manually adding it if it doesn't show up, but there's a while yet.

Farooq

Banned
Syracuse022 said:
Make sure you listen when you get home because there's no way I'm going to do this incredible podcast justice.
  • Jaime joined Bungie from the test ranks (after strongarming Marty in an interview for a Myth fansite) and then just (at least according to him) refused to leave when Myth 2 shipped
  • B30 (aka Silent Cartographer) - the perfect test bed for all of their sandbox elements (and the first one they got up and running), no actual story - it's essentially an island full of MacGuffins - but it has really well refined encounters because of iteration, some talk about the importance of interior encounters and how nice a remote island is to the GPU (because there's nothing to render on the horizon) and how a circular shape means the player is never really lost, beach storming is all scripted (when X enemies die... Covenant retreat and humans push forward)
  • User experience testing and the fact that the narrative had reached more of a critical mass are cited as reasons why later games have less time to just cruise around in silence admiring the scenery, catching your breath - he contends that it would not have felt the same to cruise a silent valley halfway through Halo 3 than it did on Silent Cartographer, for example, and he may be right given how helter skelter things had gotten in the story by then
  • Library intentions: The Library was initially an open space, with the index in view at all times, but this was the exact opposite of Silent Cartographer in terms of playing nice with the GPU, so it morphed into the more enclosed areas we now know and love (right?), he talks about how 343i's graphical tweaks make it feel more like the original intended design
  • 343 GS might have been the most difficult level to create - every designer touched it at some point and it eventually came to him, they discuss the graphical changes here as well (with a shout-out to Ghaleon's fog complaint) - the fog was definitely intended to set the mood but it also was to hide some technical shortcomings (no, not draw distance, but number of enemies as the level crescendoes around the Forerunner tower in the swamp)
  • Of course, the M6D debate - its damage is exactly how it's supposed to be in Campaign. The doubled damage in multiplayer was a unilateral decision by (someone who will not be named), Editors would use a "spreadsheet" to change values, which would compile to a cache file to be read by the game - he-who-was-not-named changed the way the cache file would load so that it was always glorious Three Shot Kills, no matter what designers did to their spreadsheet (this was so late in the process that nobody else was allowed to touch the cache at that time - sounds like Jones to me)
  • PISTOL HINT ("It was fun on System Link... and it could be fun again, who knows?")
  • Important with pistol that people be playing others of similar skill, which devolved into a discussion of "skill weapons" that had me rolling my eyes. Wish they hadn't gotten sidetracked for so long. Kudos to Ellis for drawing it back
  • Marketing research for Halo - Halo and Covenant were weak names/titles, Frankie with "Haro" joke, "This game has potential to be a solid performer" was the official stance of Microsoft marketing, they wanted Master Chief's name changed to The Commando (Master Chief was chosen because "it was the highest rank you can achieve and still be expendable"), other requests: exposed faces to add empathy, third person request
  • Trip to Middle East to let military play Halo 3 was a fond memory
  • Fyrewulff call out (lol, u mad)
  • Sucker Punch feels like Bungie back in the days of Halo 1

And that is why removing redundant weapons from the sandbox is a good thing. Having a more streamlined sandbox benefits the core of Halo gameplay a lot more than having a variety of weapons.

Awesome summary by the way.

ElRenoRaven

Farooq said:
And that is why removing redundant weapons from the sandbox is a good thing. Having a more streamlined sandbox benefits the core of Halo gameplay a lot more than having a variety of weapons.

Awesome summary by the way.

That is exactly 100 percent right too.

Letters said:
:lol

There was a whole bunch of people on gaf, twitter, youtube and waypoint bitching about that. Reaching a bit too far making that a gaffer shoutout, specially Ghaleon who I'm pretty sure doesn't care much about Halo1 and never comments on CEA campaign other than to show interest in the Terminals and dislike for the original gameplay. Unless I missed something.

edit- I agree that CEA's 343gs needs some fog, maybe not to the extent of the original, but some.
I'm sure you're right, since I am among the number who has expressed a desire to see a little bit of fog trickling through that canopy, but Frankie did directly address Ghaleon here, trollface and all.

feel

Syracuse022 said:
I'm sure you're right, since I am among the number who has expressed a desire to see a little bit of fog trickling through that canopy, but Frankie did directly address Ghaleon here, trollface and all.
Oh, I missed that exchange, you mentioning Ghal makes sense to me now.

Hypertrooper said:
Best Sparkast fu who say that. Can't listen right now. DAMN IT! Otherwise I'm in Seattle.
Go to a lan café and hop on live, we need some German turned American dominance.

But seriously, I think the difference in connection quality made a big difference (or was it a placebo?). Then my housemate came home and I was orange bar'd. Hurm.

PsychoRaven said:
I do like Frankie bringing up a good point about people who call some weapons skill and others noob. I agree with him.

I agree in part, While all weapons are skill weapons the level of skill required to use some weapons differs to others, i wont claim rockets or sword arnt skill weapons but its obvious to me at least getting a kill with them is easier than with a DMR or a magnum.

Top Bottom