• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
StalkerUKCG said:
I agree in part, While all weapons are skill weapons the level of skill required to use some weapons differs to others, i wont claim rockets or sword arnt skill weapons but its obvious to me at least getting a kill with them is easier than with a DMR or a magnum.

Of course.

A27_StarWolf said:
I'm holding out for Halo Fest TU Launch? :p

Can this be confirmed or denied? or in this case just denying I guess?

Frankie? Luke?
Luke? He's too busy playing Madden: Destiny Edition.

Didn't Frank say there was plenty of non-code work left yesterday? I'd say September or October.

thezerofire said:
What was the point in full?

Skill weapons and Noob weapons dont exist, nothing is a noob weapon all weapons have some level of skill involved in their use.

Devolution said:
Personally I wouldn't mind if certain "power" weapons were a bit harder to use, but that just might be me.

Which power weapons? out of curiosity.

Stinkles

StalkerUKCG said:
Skill weapons and Noob weapons dont exist, nothing is a noob weapon all weapons have some level of skill involved in their use.

The example I used was, what happens in a 1:1 game with me and Ogre, on Rockets? One-sided brutality. It's a semantics debate, not a design one.

ElRenoRaven

StalkerUKCG said:

Exactly. Take a Rocket Launcher. You have to be careful in how you use it. You can't just go running down halls like a gun and shooting it all crazy like.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
PsychoRaven said:
Exactly. Take a Rocket Launcher. You have to be careful in how you use it. You can't just go running down halls like a gun and shooting it all crazy like.

So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years.

feel

Agree, but rocket blasts killing everyone in a room and sniper shots practically flying to foreheads by themselves is too much.

Stinkles

Letters said:
Agree, but rocket blasts killing everyone in a room and sniper shots practically flying to foreheads by themselves is too much.

A rocket in an open field is not the same as one in a room. Sandbox fo lief.

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:
So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years.

Yup. Don't worry though cause I still make that mistake all the time. Usually it involves me darting around corner, firing rocket, and then realizing there was another wall there or a teammate as I respawn. lol

Wow this podcast is depressing. Are these guys really talking about the Halo 1 Pistol like its a bad thing. I played Halo 1 loads and loved the thing, despite the fact that I couldnt reach over and punch the guy that killed me.

:(

StalkerUKCG said:
I'd agree and disagree. All weapons take skill to use to a point, but some require more than others. And rocket launcher for sure.

PsychoRaven said:
Well you kinda can. More than the other games it seems like

BigShow36

After reading the summary, I listened to the part about the pistol, even though I knew it was going to make me mad.

First off, the guys in the podcast sound like they're tryng to make excuses for the pistol, as if it wasn't the saving grace of the entire Halo series.

Second, the reason the pistol was loved was NOT because you could physically smack someone sitting next to you, it was because it allowed skill to be the determining factor.

The ensuing discussion about the pistol makes it sound like rewarding players proportional to their ability is something they're against (which makes sense given Halo 2, Halo 3, and Reach). That's terrible. We're playing a competitive video game, not a communism simulation where everyone is artificially forced to be equal.

Then Frankie says that there's no such thing as "skill" weapons and "noob" weapons. I don't even know where to begin with this one. They're muddling awareness, position and movement skills in with weapon skills.

I knew I shouldn't have listened.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
3534n54.jpg

dqjdde.jpg

Griesemer save us.

BigShow36

OuterWorldVoice said:
The example I used was, what happens in a 1:1 game with me and Ogre, on Rockets? One-sided brutality. It's a semantics debate, not a design one.

A game of you 1v1 with an Ogre is going to be drastically different when you both have rockets vs. when you both have a pistol.

PsychoRaven said:

I liked when rockets had a bigger splash damage that included a suicide if you shot it too close to yourself. I didn't particularly like 2 and sequels making it so you can practically fire it off right next to yourself and walk away.

StalkerUKCG said:

Most of 'em. Rockets and snipes especially.

Zeouterlimits said:
In Reach, the sniper rifle click-and-hold != click.

Mind blown.

Tru7h.
click and hold what?

Devolution said:
I liked when rockets had a bigger splash damage that included a suicide if you shot it too close to yourself. I didn't particularly like 2 and sequels making it so you can practically fire it off right next to yourself and walk away.
It seems like Reach has the biggest splash damage. They're too easy. Sniper too.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Rockets arnt the uber weapon people make them out to be, even in a room theres normally a large area that the blast wont cover.

Rockets are a good example cause their such a diverse weapon, they offer both support and primary roles.

Open areas i can clean up and get a double providing the situation is there, closed areas they take a much more primary role i can normally get at least 4 easier kills.

Rockets have a pretty obvious skill gap aswell, newer players tend to shoot for the biped, more experienced players aim for the closets geometry to the target.

This small example is a testament to what i believe separates halo from the sea of fps in the market

Sandbox 4lyf.

thezerofire said:
click and hold what?/QUOTE]

Talking about clicking in the analogue stick and holding it so when you release the stick you descope with out having to reclick to back out of zoom, its been in since halo1 or 2.

BigShow36

thezerofire said:
It seems like Reach has the biggest splash damage. They're too easy. Sniper too.

I think the splash radius is similar to CE's. However, in Reach, you don't have a utility weapon that can effectively combat poorly managed rockets, like you did in CE.

Rockets are overpowered for the skill required to use them. However, thats fine because of their limited availability. There's an entirely different skill set the revolves around obtaining the rockets, which makes their power acceptable. However, like I stated above, there still needs to be some way for a player to combat them.

ElRenoRaven

Devolution said:

I'll agree with you there. To be honest I still to this day like the Halo 1 versions of weapons and vehicles the best. That's not to say that I hate the changes. They're good in their own right. Just not Halo 1 level good. lol

The only change I agree with even though I miss the effect was the stun effect that the Plasma Rifle etc had.

In fact all this damn Halo talk has me wanting to play it so tonight in about oh 2 to 3 hours I'm going to host up a room on the original Halo on PC. Maybe we can get more then just letter and I to play. lol

Risen

Letters said:

Power weapons SHOULD be powerful. That power is balanced by the amount of ammunition, location and frequency of appearance on the map.

Falagard

Great podcast. Enjoyed hearing from Jaime, as always, and very interesting to hear about the design of Silent Cartographer, and the multiplayer pistol.

BigShow36 said:
A game of you 1v1 with an Ogre is going to be drastically different when you both have rockets vs. when you both have a pistol.

Not really Ogre would 15-0 Frankie with any weapon. Maybe Frankie would get a kill with the Rockets actually if Ogre made a mistake.

Risen said:
Power weapons SHOULD be powerful. That power is balanced by the amount of ammunition, location and frequency of appearance on the map.
It's possible to have weapons that are powerful but not easy. Like the sniper rifle in the previous games, swipe-sniping in Halo 2 aside.

Willeth

Zeouterlimits said:
In Reach, the sniper rifle click-and-hold != click.

Mind blown.
They did this with 3 as well. Honestly, though, I don't know how you could adjust your aim if you held the stick down.

Power weapons can remain powerful but be changed so they are more difficult to utilize or have less ammo. The best part about the pistol that gets overlooked in CE was being as effective as it was, it even forced a skill level threshold with power weapons.

Tawpgun

Risen said:
But they shouldn't be TOO powerful. Then they might be balanced by all those factors, but it makes them annoying to go up against.

In the past Halo's, if you reacted quick enough, you could dodge a deathblow from rockets. Can't do that in Reach.

Sniper Rifle is also easier to use, but its not as bad as the big buff rockets got.

Willeth said:
They did this with 3 as well. Honestly, though, I don't know how you could adjust your aim if you held the stick down.

I think it would work great with the control schemes that zoom is a button not part of the look-stick. I actually don't know if the whole Unclick button would zoom out though, because I don't use those schemes. Anyone?

Willeth said:

Its been in since halo 1 or 2, for the most part its useless it makes it harder to aim.

Nutter

Trasher said:
el oh el

That old man couldn't out-DMR me if his life depended on it. His powers are weak.

And besides, I don't waste as much time as you fools on this game anymore. I wore the backpack after release. You all should be good at MLG by now, but instead you still only play Team Objective and hold the objective to boost your stats. Sad sad times.

You are lucky I won't be at Seattle to LAN against your ass, Nuts. You can't hide behind your connection there!

LOL

Yes trash, we understand you need to play other shitty games too and I don't need a connection advantage to be better than you :p

**Remember the Bungie trip back in 08? ... Yeah.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
REMEMBER US - REMEMBER FANS ARE JUST LITTLE PEOPLE!!!!
boop

boop

beep

Dipping later tonight after they've set up.

The ones on the left turned out big - think round Snickers bars. The rest are more appropriately bite size. I'll see if I can make some survive long enough to find your maw.

Now I can finally sit down and listen to the podcast. Sounds like a good one.

GhaleonEB said:
boop

boop

beep

The ones on the left turned out big - think round Snickers bars. The rest are more appropriately bite size. I'll see if I can make some survive long enough to find your maw.

Ship to UK pl0x?

Sai-kun

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
Crappy drink.

Crappy game.

*Braces for impact.

gaga_no.gif

Game Fuel is the only style of MD that's actually good.

A27_StarWolf said:
so much sugar.

I hardly ever drink soda or super sugary drinks anyways so I don't mind indulging myself in deliciousness :)

GhaleonEB said:
boop

boop

beep

looks so delicious

While I'm not really sure more merchandise would be the right way to go, I think optional stuff like that giving minor bonuses would actually be a really cool idea. For example, a certain armor piece you could find in the campaign world would give you a 1.5 EXP boost or something like that.

Top Bottom