• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Karl2177 said:
How do you think they should be? I'm fine with them now.

Oh, they're broken. After you deal out enough damage, you have 5 seconds for a teammate finish the kill to get the assist. It takes longer than 5 seconds for shields to come up. You could potentially put a guy to 1 shot, have a teammate kill him with 1 headshot and you not get that assist.

Also, let's say one of your teammates drops a guy's shields (maybe loses some health. Maybe loses some health and finds a health pack. Not 100% sure on this one). That guy survives. Now let's say you drop his shields and your teammate finishes the kill, you won't get the assist.

Also, it takes 3 DMR shots to be eligible for an assist. I think it should be less. I actually made a video about it when Reach first came out. Maybe I'll make a new one in HD.

blamite said:
Happy Birthday Hitmonchan!

Any analysis of the board from the beginning of the Bulletin?

http://halo.xbox.com/Content/assets/en-us/blog/TheHaloBulletin/8.24.11/image1.jpg

At the right side, I see three boxes, with the names "Big Team Battle," "Squad Battle," and "Free For All." Looks like a shot of Anniversary Chief in front of the Halo ring going up into the sky, probably from Silent Cartographer? There are some pictures of vehicles and enemies along the bottom, with some text for each one.

Can anyone make out what the images on the middle row of papers are? Looks liek menus for something. Maybe something to do with Waypoint?

Looks like HaloFest layout stuff to me. You can see the same archway that was in the Bulletin.

Happy Birthday Hitmonchan! I'll buy you a drink when you get to Seattle.

Kibbles

blamite said:
image8.jpg

Soooo preeeeety.... :D.....
Wow, um the OXM UK Helmet looked way better, I hope that's just an early render.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
lybertyboy said:
That's actually a piece of original art. It's not a game asset.
Its a pretty cool piece of original art, but today's Ultimate Mister Chief broke new ground in ultra art.

Karl2177

Tashi0106 said:
Oh, they're broken. After you deal out enough damage, you have 5 seconds for a teammate finish the kill to get the assist. It takes longer than 5 seconds for shields to come up. You could potentially put a guy to 1 shot, have a teammate kill him with 1 headshot and you not get that assist.

Also, let's say one of your teammates drops a guy's shields (maybe loses some health. Maybe loses some health and finds a health pack. Not 100% sure on this one). That guy survives. Now let's say you drop his shields and your teammate finishes the kill, you won't get the assist.

Also, it takes 3 DMR shots to be eligible for an assist. I think it should be less. I actually made a video about it when Reach first came out. Maybe I'll make a new one in HD.
Ah. OK. I knew it was 60% and that's about all I knew. If it should be lowered, it shouldn't be 1 shot, but it should be 2 DMR shots. 40%? Also a time increase would be nice.

All these patches in SC2 and now Reach are making me reconsider how these games are balanced. It's making me think too much. Must get sleep.

EDIT: I knew I shouldn't have gone in the gaming section. Oh god, the fury of "original fans".

Lazslo

urk said:
Oh, and am I the only dude in the world who didn't know that Captain Keyes did the Bud Light Real American Heroes/Real Men of Genius spots?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFfq6J-rKns
Incredible. I feel like most of us here had no idea either. I like watching Son's of Anarchy because of Lord Hood (I think thats his name) Also, once I could of sworn I heard Master Chief voice doing a radio commercial one day.

Tashi0106 said:
How are you liking playing with headphones? Get adjusted yet? Find yourself playing better?

A bit better when it comes to figuring out stuff going on around me, although it seems voices are getting drowned out by ambient/vehicle noise. =/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
A bit better, although it seems voices are getting drowned out by ambient/vehicle noise. =/
Play MLG, no vehicles in there.

Lol jk. Have you messed with the voice settings in the guide menu? I think you can adjust the voice volume in there.

Tashi0106 said:
Play MLG, no vehicles in there.

Lol jk. Have you messed with the voice settings in the guide menu? I think you can adjust the voice volume in there.

I did, I turned voice volume all the way up and game volume to half.

Devolution said:
A bit better when it comes to figuring out stuff going on around me, although it seems voices are getting drowned out by ambient/vehicle noise. =/
it's all about getting the balance right

also good games tonight, it was fun and frustration free, at least until Senador and I made the bone-headed decision to play Doubles on Countdown.

Trasher said:
The only thing I remember from 08 is you never challenged the dominating team known as Captain Blood and Trasher who mopped the floor with Ramirez and EazyB. Awwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhh
A couple pages late but Quoted. For. TRUTH!

Edit: Also, last sleep before the flight. If my plane takes off before Ramriez could you guys please post about how you heard my plane crashed in a massive fireball? kthx.

Booshka

Devolution said:
I did, I turned voice volume all the way up and game volume to half.
This has been an issue with Halo games and gaming headphones for as long as I can remember. Luckily the a40 mixamp I use helps solve the problem of game and mic audio levels being messed up. Hopefully 343 Halo games will have adjustable sound options in the game, like every other video game I have played.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
OuterWorldVoice said:
I do know this, but only after going through the same process you just did.
I thought I was gonna wiz my pants in Marty's office, we were laughing so hard. Stacker is brilliant.

urk said:
I thought I was gonna wiz my pants in Marty's office, we were laughing so hard. Stacker is brilliant.
Bungie needs him in the next project, he has been in every Bungie game since Oni. And of course he needs to appear in some fashion in Halo but I hope 343 is already thinking about that.

Awesome Barlow said:
Anyone up for some Reach? Karl and I would like some company here.
Awwwww I was on and didn't see this post. I've been playing Reach solo for 3-4 days now. Not sure how much longer I can handle it. Cory is the only gaffer who has sent me an invite to any games so far, but I was about to leave for work and wasn't able to join.
not a real big fan of custom games, though, unless it's Gaf
I need hugs :(

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nothing like being a red bar the whole game along with a guy on the enemy team, then when he quits my connection goes green and I can actually do something.

/sigh

Plywood said:
Nothing like being a red bar the whole game along with a guy on the enemy team, then when he quits my connection goes green and I can actually do something.

/sigh

Those late night connections, so good.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
Tonight I learned that if your entire team dashboards before the match starts, you don't get the loss and the game doesn't count. I assumed you would take the loss.
I took the loss.

IhOEF.jpg

Random thoughts while I'm at work...

I've decided that I like quite a few of the forge maps in Team Slayer. My opinions are back and forth, though, and can change on a daily basis. I've also decided that I don't mind the Team Slayer playlist. I go into it, knowing it is what it is, which takes away some of the frustration.
I really enjoy countdown, sword base, and reflection, but despise Powerhouse

Armor Lock is still ridiculously stupid, and I've finally completely changed my mind on Jetpacks: they suck, or I should say they aren't much fun to play against. Grenades are pretty dang powerful, but I have no opinion on them as of this moment.

Regarding jetpacks, some maps are just stupid to even use a jetpack on, but other maps are plain evil. I think one of the forge maps in particular (Eden Minor?? or something to that effect) has too many closely spaced objects, all of which are pretty tall. It makes it all too easy for people with jetpacks to just rain down grenades with protective cover just about everywhere for the people using jetpacks.

Another map where jetpacks really annoy me is Enclosed. Usually open maps put people with jetpacks at risk. But with enclosed, there are too many low-level enclosures that people with jetpacks can drop down into, but are too hard to reach with any of the other armor abilities. This means people can do the standard fly up into the air, shoot some people, throw some grenades, and then fall down into a hard to reach space and recharge shields before anyone can finish them off. Then it's rinse and repeat the process.

I enjoy Kingdom for the most part. I wouldn't mind Synapse but I get spawned on from behind far too often.

Mostly, I think I've been enjoying Team Slayer as a playlist that I can go into solo and still enjoy games. I like that a lot of games force you to use the pistol. The pistol is nerfed to the ground, but it's still a fun weapon to use when teams don't start with DMR's. It's just much harder to do playlists like Arena by yourself and not get frustrated. MLG solo? Forget about it. Squad Slayer is alright.

Lastly, power weapons still suck. It's absolutely no fun at all to go up against anyone with a power weapon. I hate seeing people hiding in corners, and hard to reach locations with the sniper rifle, shotgun, or sword. I hate slowly creeping back into a match where my team had been losing, only for things like the rocket launcher to put my team back under by 3 or 4 kills. I would actually enjoy a playlist with no power weapons. There, I said it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Devolution said:
What did you reply back with, or did you just not reply at all.
No reply, cause I had checked the message after the game. When ever I killed one of them, they'd say "oh god he's actually trying", even though I was just fucking with them by making them wait.

The game was like 10-7 (iirc). All I did was hide and double beatdowns(mostly).

Plywood said:
No reply, cause I had checked the message after the game. When ever I killed one of them, they'd say "oh god he's actually trying", even though I was just fucking with them by making them wait.

The game was like 10-7 (iirc). All I did was hide and double beatdowns(mostly).

So you trolled them? ^5

Nutter

Captain Blood said:
A couple pages late but Quoted. For. TRUTH!

Edit: Also, last sleep before the flight. If my plane takes off before Ramriez could you guys please post about how you heard my plane crashed in a massive fireball? kthx.
I actually did play against you guys.. and all I remember is that bsangel(was it her? i do not quite remember) was kicking your teams ass. :p

And yeah as much as it is fun and games about crashing planes; Have a safe flight and I'll see you guys on Saturday.

Tunavi

Banned
Cannot wait until friday. No bloom, bleed through melees, 4 shot kills, and 5 playable maps. AHHHHHHH

tonight my roommate got robbed of a kill, just looked over at me, said "fuck bloom," and shook his head. :(

Happy Birthday to Josh!
I hope he's as drunk as I am right now.

Jelly of the HaloGAF members that will be at PAX this weekend.

EDIT: LOL at the Firewolff shout out in the sparkcast.

Tunavi said:
Cannot wait until friday. No bloom, bleed through melees, 4 shot kills, and 5 playable maps. AHHHHHHH

tonight my roommate got robbed of a kill, just looked over at me, said "fuck bloom," and shook his head. :(
It happens a lot, sadly. It annoys me to no end when I pace shots and a player's shields still does not pop. It's like, what the heck is going on? I know I've put more than 4 bullets in and they've all hit. That's one thing I despise about the bloom mechanic. You can hit someone four times and even see the player's shields light up, so you know shots are being registered. But still no shield pop. What a stupid mechanic.

Ramirez

LoL, got accused of host booting by some Reclaimer, cusses me out in a message for a solid 15 seconds, then ends the message with, "It's just a game."

picard-facepalm.jpg

Anyways, safe travels everyone, see some of you in a couple days.

Booshka

Deputy Moonman said:
It happens a lot, sadly. It annoys me to no end when I pace shots and a player's shields still does not pop. It's like, what the heck is going on? I know I've put more than 4 bullets in and they've all hit. That's one thing I despise about the bloom mechanic. You can hit someone four times and even see the player's shields light up, so you know shots are being registered. But still no shield pop. What a stupid mechanic.
That's probably a combination of people eating shots and bloom making you miss, but mostly people eating shots. You keep spamming because they aren't registering, and then the bloom blows up and you miss even more compounding the problem. Or you try to pace and let your bloom settle, but it takes forever because the connection sucks. Shit all around.

Ramirez said:
LoL, got accused of host booting by some Reclaimer, cusses me out in a message for a solid 15 seconds, then ends the message with, "It's just a game."

picard-facepalm.jpg

Record that shit.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ramirez said:

picard-facepalm.jpg

U r already dead.
and so am I

I've been kind of out of the loop of Halo news for a while now and was wondering if there's been any news of Halo 4 since the trailer.

Any nuggets at all guys?

Top Bottom