• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

stephen08

During the summer my go to playlists were: Squad Slayer. Team Objective, Premium Battle and Premium Slayer. All of which are now altered to the shittier TU settings. Thanks a lot 343.

Ken

• Zero Bloom secondary weapon updated to be an Assault Rifle rather than a Pistol.

Cool.

Not sure if I'll head back to Reach any time soon though (busy with UMvC3 and started Peace Walker HD).

blamite

Well, it would be awesome if this actually rolled out tomorrow. Bungie usually pushed updated around a week into the month, so a December 1 update would be a nice change.
Did they even address the health pack glitch? But by all means, ROLL IT OUT.

Fucking amateur, man.
Has anyone tested that bug with the Anniversary gametypes? I'm going to make a random (and probably wrong) guess that the bug is fixed in them due to the weaker melee, and as long as those gametypes work properly it's not a priority.

I thought the playlist update was coming tomorrow. Finally got to the bottom of the Dec playlist update and it says next week,

10_Dream_Crusher%21.png

FyreWulff

But they made it better!

I feel sorry you won't have fun on the improved objective.

It was shat up when it was made all DMR start in the first place by Bungie. Instead of Objective it became Team Camping Killing Fields.

Now in Team Objective, everyone is going to start with a DMR that gives them effective zero bloom while crouching. With bleedthrough.

Yeah, no thanks. Especially with Flag Slayer in there.

No deletion of the Banshee on Breakpoint (getting violated by the banshee as I typed this post), no map exploit fixes, no new community content 6 months after taking over, deletion of the only reliable way to get Noble and Defiant, the absolute refusal to let go of the broke-ass bleedthrough outside of Anniversary Classic (I mean come on, they even praise the fact that the feedback system doesn't matter in TU gametypes in the bulletin).. yeah, the only part I like about this update is the heavy weighting of Breakpoint in Slot 1 on Invasion and base maps being weighted for slot 1.

As it stands though, they need to stop all these damn tweaks in an attempt to get the pistol to work correctly via bleedthrough and just get rid of it outside of Anniversary classic-mode gametypes. They actually managed to make it MORE confusing.

Those of you who had me on your friends list might have noticed I haven't been on live for quite a while. I've just been really busy, lately. But if you need/want to make room for some more active friends I'll understand. :) When I have some more time, I'll come harass everyone to add me, again.

Here's what really happened to Halo: Reach
This clip makes me laugh every single time I watch it.

Nutter

i think there is 10 years of halo now and we are at franchise fatigue. to casual halo players, the game has changed very little in 10 years and the experience is now old. there are newer games (cod, gears, etc) that have the attention these days. i don't think halo 4 will change anything, sadly. the series will continue to decline in popularity.

i'll still play the ever living shit out of it though.

You cant be serious? Are you?

We have had 7.. Yes 7 Call of Duty games in the last 6 Years on the 360 alone. People are not getting tired of the same bullshit in that, so where is this Halo is becoming to stale coming from? Have you people ever thought it was because with each game they are CHANGING too much shit that people loved? versus the other franchise (COD) which is trying to keep the same basics since COD4? Im sure we will all keep playing Halo games years from now, but when the game changes so much so that the fans become increasingly frustrated with it, yes they will not retain that fanbase, aka Halo up till now.

In the case of Halo 4, I sincerely hope 343 can please both ends of the spectrum of hardcore and casual, hell keep the casual stuff but for the love of god put all that in 1 single play list i.e why were we being forced to play with AA's in all playlists prior to the TU. And most importantly bring the competitive nature of Halo back, I do not know what that means for the rest of you, but to me a mix of H3 and H2 in both gameplay and feature set including ranks would be exactly that.

So far with the TU 343 is trying to please the Vanilla Reach fanbase and the old school folks, but to be honest the majority of the hardcore fans have moved on to other things because the game IS that frustrating even with 343 trying to fix things.. there is a reason most of the playlists seem like its full of nothing but a bunch of newcomers/people who dont know how to play. And if this is what bungie was trying to appease to, well they got it and the numbers show for themselves.

You call 343 amateur, but the entire game has been amateur hour ever since it released. At least they attempted a TU, which is more than I can say for the other guys.
Amateur post.

Pushing out an experimental gametype with known glitches and admitting that it breaks the feedback system. Your personal qualms with Reach's design are subjective. These are objective failures. We also don't know if Bungie could have released a TU even if they had wanted to. I bet they would have tweaked the Banshee, though, seeing as they excised it from matchmaking. 343 doesn't fix it and throws it back in. Ugh.

PNut

Banned
Why not just add the Arena ranking system into MLG v7 and be done with the Arena playlist altogether? It's obvious it's not going to be updated.

Havok

Why not just add the Arena ranking system into MLG v7 and be done with the Arena playlist altogether? It's obvious it's not going to be updated.
I'd like to see Arena divisions used more across all the hardcore-focused playlists, especially now that it's W/L. To develop an actually really good ranking system with clearly defined skill gradiation (better than 1-50 in a lot of ways) and then toss it out the window except for one token playlist that's received almost zero attention seems insane to me. Anniversary Classic, both Squads, both BTBs, Objective, MLG. Why not? Lock off a few playlists from guests if you've gotta - it'll have a side effect of making those playlists that much less shitty to play in.

Karl2177

One of the main reasons why I still play this game is armor. No joke. I want my Security with jaws. If the game was still fun, it would be like summer 2010 all over again; Halo 3 every day. But it's not. I don't play it every day. I play it when it doesn't feel like a hassle.

heckfu

Banned
I dunno, I hardly ever weigh in on the Reach debate because I guess I'm just...suckered in.
I remember playing Halo 1 for the first time and hearing the sniper echo across Blood Gulch and I haven't missed a midnight launch since.
Had an awesome group of guys I played with in H2 that fell off during 3, but I still played.
Reach came along and with it my acceptance to GAF, and while I have my qualms with it I still play. Sure, armor lock sucks. Invis sucks. Spawns on Prisoner suck. But I think the community is what keeps me going and at the end of the day it's still Halo. If this community existed in any other game it wouldn't last or be near as much fun as it is with Halo (and for me, Reach trumps MW3 across the board).

So that's my opinion. Tonight I played with awesome guys and had a really good time. I don't know if it's possible for the more passionate guys to take it easy because I know you love it to the extreme and that's awesome you dig something so much you fight for it, but just playing for fun was...nice. I enjoyed it.

all of this isn't to say i'm happy with the things that suck and i hope they would change it too, but I have faith that 343 will put out a quality-ass product with 4.

My playlist hope was to see DLC required in every playlist except for one; call itTeam Training and make it stock only for all of the kids.

PNut

Banned
Seriously.

We've tried email, posting, tweeting. At this point we are going to have to Occupy outside the 343 offices.

Yeah it's kinda of funny that H2 and H3 had numbered ranks but not Reach. That's a staple of competitive Halo MM. Especially for MLG. If anyone needs proof I guarantee there are more people playing Ranked TS in H3 right now than Arena in Reach.

Edit- Some of my fondest memories of Halo MM were in the days when H3 was in it's prime and I was trying to rank up in TS and TD's. So many close games won and lost, but I kept pushing to get that 45 or 50. It kept me coming back. That's what I miss.

Homeboyd

I dunno, I hardly ever weigh in on the Reach debate because I guess I'm just...suckered in.
I remember playing Halo 1 for the first time and hearing the sniper echo across Blood Gulch and I haven't missed a midnight launch since.
Had an awesome group of guys I played with in H2 that fell off during 3, but I still played.
Reach came along and with it my acceptance to GAF, and while I have my qualms with it I still play. Sure, armor lock sucks. Invis sucks. Spawns on Prisoner suck. But I think the community is what keeps me going and at the end of the day it's still Halo. If this community existed in any other game it wouldn't last or be near as much fun as it is with Halo (and for me, Reach trumps MW3 across the board).

So that's my opinion. Tonight I played with awesome guys and had a really good time. I don't know if it's possible for the more passionate guys to take it easy because I know you love it to the extreme and that's awesome you dig something so much you fight for it, but just playing for fun was...nice. I enjoyed it.

all of this isn't to say i'm happy with the things that suck and i hope they would change it too, but I have faith that 343 will put out a quality-ass product with 4.
Nailed it man. Took the words right out of my mouth...

To touch on heckfu's point, I really like being able to hold a conversation mid-game and still communicate about the curent match too. I play with Hypertrooper who sings fantastically for god's sake :p The combat isn't slow exactly, but the pace is definitely there that I can just relax and enjoy the company. That is until Zalin gets two perfections in a row to finish the night off.

Me and him both got the "Be The Bullet" sprees within minutes of each other on Ridgeline. We got that freaky telepathic brotherly shit going on!

Ramirez

To touch on heckfu's point, I really like being able to hold a conversation mid-game and still communicate about the curent match too. I play with Hypertrooper who sings fantastically for god's sake :p The combat isn't slow exactly, but the pace is definitely there that I can just relax and enjoy the company. That is until Zalin gets two perfections in a row to finish the night off.

Me and him both got the "Be The Bullet" sprees within minutes of each other on Ridgeline. We got that freaky telepathic brotherly shit going on!

Two BTB sprees on the same team, smh. Reach sniper ftl.

daedalius

Well that is going to make some of the guys on the MLG forum upset.

Why didn't they propagate the arena ranking over all of the competitive playlists in some way just like SC2 does? I'd love to see that in the corner by my name, division and ranking and such, all the time. The arena playlist is totally dead (and has horrible AAs) so that whole competitive tracking side is just wasted.

feel

No-sprint/no-bloom MLG playlist still coming tomorrow (today) or what??

edit-

didn't refresh

and well that sucks :/

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
When are the TU changes going to make it into other playlists? And when can we ask questions about Halo 4 again? - Sgt HD

And, while you’re always welcome to ask questions about Halo 4, we’re not answering them quite yet. Its time will come, though. Of that, I’m certain.
SfbeD.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You cant be serious? Are you?

We have had 7.. Yes 7 Call of Duty games in the last 6 Years on the 360 alone. People are not getting tired of the same bullshit in that, so where is this Halo is becoming to stale coming from? Have you people ever thought it was because with each game they are CHANGING too much shit that people loved? versus the other franchise (COD) which is trying to keep the same basics since COD4? Im sure we will all keep playing Halo games years from now, but when the game changes so much so that the fans become increasingly frustrated with it, yes they will not retain that fanbase, aka Halo up till now.

In the case of Halo 4, I sincerely hope 343 can please both ends of the spectrum of hardcore and casual, hell keep the casual stuff but for the love of god put all that in 1 single play list i.e why were we being forced to play with AA's in all playlists prior to the TU. And most importantly bring the competitive nature of Halo back, I do not know what that means for the rest of you, but to me a mix of H3 and H2 in both gameplay and feature set including ranks would be exactly that.

So far with the TU 343 is trying to please the Vanilla Reach fanbase and the old school folks, but to be honest the majority of the hardcore fans have moved on to other things because the game IS that frustrating even with 343 trying to fix things.. there is a reason most of the playlists seem like its full of nothing but a bunch of newcomers/people who dont know how to play. And if this is what bungie was trying to appease to, well they got it and the numbers show for themselves.

i definitely am serious. CoD, as you pointed out, is 6 years running. thats HUGELY different then 10 regardless of the number of titles released. also, CoD is on the brink of the slide as well from what i've gathered based on my own anecdotal evidence of casual friends finally holding off buying mw3 because its "the same game" (which, admittedly, aint saying much).

i think the majority of gamers dont have the attention span of a decade of a game that only changes in increments each update. funny thing is, the hardcore actually dont want drastic changes from the core gameplay experience. its a double edged sword, but you are right, reach is trying to strike that balance, perhaps unsuccessfully.

also, i miss playing halo with you :p

Another interesting thing they brought up in Gandhi's show is that it would be best if they could just have tournaments based on the settings that ship straight out of the box. It would be easier for casuals to be interested in the tournament, because everything won't be foreign to them. Currently, everything is foreign to them. The maps, the lack of armor abilities, the way armor abilities are used as pick ups, the weapons, etc... That's not MLG's fault, it was more so Bungie's fault because the settings weren't competitively viable. It's different in other games. I think that's why they want to work with 343 to make the best game possible that caters to both the casual and competitive player. It wasn't until Halo 3 that mlg settings and default settings started to differ radically from each other.

Tunavi

Banned
At work all night so LTTP but concerning the Live Activity list:
1. I think we can just group all the COD's into one. That puts it at number 1 and only number 1
2. Skyrim isn't multiplayer
3. Battlefield 3 - Recently released
4. A soccer game, not really taking away from halo's population IMO
5. Reach
6. Gears of War 3 = This is what people should be worrying about.

Halo is doing just fine IMO

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
haloGAF explain to Timedog why bloom is in Reach and what it is. I just can't.

I'd love to. And Timedog, I think I speak for everyone here. Bloom is the in game representation of the accuracy of your weapons. If you shoot, your next shot will be less accurate if you shoot too fast. And if you keep shooting it gets less and less accurate. The mechanic requires you to shoot at different speeds depending on your situation and the distance of your target. It's perfect, nothings wrong with it. Everyone loves it

Top Bottom