• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

reggie

Banned
If we're going to get into that:

H2 > H1 > dog shit > H3 > HR

In regards to the netcode and all that: Yeah, Reach has an amazing netcode, but I think it shows that gameplay is still king when H2/H3 had fairly weak netcodes and were still a million times better.

So is it pretty much agreed in this thread that Reach is the worst multiplayer Halo game to date?
I think it is a better multiplayer game than H1 and H2 objectively, but I've enjoyed it less in its time and context, and enjoyed those games more in their time and context. Also, given the expectations and game design evolved through the first three titles, Reach is a weird little mongrel thing for Bungie to have made. I think there are at least two great game templates in there fighting to get out, one of them much more like CoD, one of them much more like Shadowrun. But it lives in an awkward space that throws up inconsistencies and irritations as often as it does good, clean fun.

I can't stand longer kill times. Just make the gun more difficult to shoot with that way only a great player can kill fast. Longer kill times slow the game down and requires you to think less because everything is now slower. You don't get punished for your mistakes and your given more thinking time. The game should reward the players who move around the map intelligently and can think fast.

The game should be designed for competitive play. The players who lack skill won't be getting donged on all the time if true skill were to work anyways. They'll be getting matched up with players around their skill level so they won't be alienated with settings that are too competitive. In Starcraft and Street Fighter, the settings are competitive right from the start. Players who lack skill aren't playing your Justin Wongs, Daigos, and Boxers. They play players their skill level and that is why they don't get frustrated playing the game. As long as the matchmaking system works, the most competitive settings shouldn't frustrate lower skilled players.

Trasher

Overdoz tweeted me a very interesting video from Penny Arcade about what needs to happen for ESports to take off. It mentioned making the game better for spectators. Now, in SC2 you can have a bunch of people in the game watching while 2 players duke it out. And while you're watching, there are a bunch of stat trackers live while the game is playing that you can see. How many units does each player have? How much money does each player have? How many workers were killed in the game? How many actions per minute is each player acheiving? The spectator in the game can see what each player see and is doing. The commentators control all of that.

How do you apply something similar to Halo? Allow players in game to join the lobby but act as a spectator. Actually before we get into that we have to realize what's wrong with Halo at a spectator event. If you've ever been to an MLG event and sat on the mainstage, you know how hard it is to follow. There are 3 giant screens and each player is being shown and then in the middle what the viewers at home see. How many times have you been watching MLG at home and the commentators miss and awesome triple kill or overkill. Hardly ever do the commentators catch it. That needs to change. What if you're spectating in game and there's a mini map? And on that mini map, you see from birds eye view, a dot representing each player and an icon showing if they have a power weapon or power up. It can show you if a rocket guy has a flank on 2 guys and we're about to see a double kill and possibly more. In this mode, you can switch to each player in first person easily. If a player get's a double kill you should be alerted and with a button press, you can jump to that players view. Things like that.
You ever watch CS tournaments? They have a sweet map view camera showing where everyone is, what weapon they are holding, and their health.

One last thing I'll say while musing about Reach's multiplayer design:

Bungie made Reach deceptively complex. That is, it's actually quite hard for newcomers or non-obsessives to get to grips with it, especially if they are expecting it to play like any other Halo game. The movement speed, the loadouts, the bloom and weapon cadence, the sheer variety of the experience (and the overabundance of playlists and gametypes, which has got worse and worse over its life), the return of health packs, longer shield recharges, not to mention additional, overlaid systems like Invasion, etc. ... these are all barriers to entry for players who are unfamiliar with them. Yet beneath those surface changes, the game is actually very simple, and Bungie went so far as to smooth out some of the expert-player depth that existed in earlier titles (e.g., by removing flag juggling, making weapon timers less standard and predictable, and reducing the need to control maps and spawns to get power-ups). Anecdotally, I know part-time Halo players who gave up on Reach quickly because it had a frustrating skill curve frontloaded, and long-term Halo players who gave up on Reach later on because the curve smoothed out too much once you understood the new systems.

This is the exact wrong way around.

Take Starcraft, which is as good an example as you'll find of a game that is deceptively simple; anyone can bash out a 1v1 game of Starcraft after playing the singleplayer campaign -- without ever noticing or understanding the chasm of depth that lurks beneath. TF2 is the same (the Soldier is probably the easiest class to pick up and play, yet an expert Soldier is worlds away in skill because they understand rocket jumping, etc.). Competitive multiplayer games should be comprehensible, accessible, even 'basic' at the surface level, with a steadily rising curve that rewards those who pour time and energy into understanding and mastering the more complex underlying gameplay.

Yet Reach does the reverse: a lot to process on arrival, with diminishing returns for those who devote themselves to it.

IMO, anyway.

3>Reach>2>1

Truth.

ibn9To73jdFP8f.gif

Heh, my stupid brain:

"Hmm, today is Friday.

What happens online every Friday?
New xkcd comic (check)
New Penny-Arcade (check)
New Ctrl+Alt+Del (check)

Oh yeah, new BWU!

Aww, nevermind."

Old habits die hard.

Heh, my stupid brain:

"Hmm, today is Friday.

New xkcd comic (check)
New Penny-Arcade (check)
New Ctrl+Alt+Del (check)

Oh yeah, new BWU!

Aww, nevermind."

Old habits die hard.
you forgot Questionable Content and Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

though for QC you're going to have go to back and read all of it to understand what's going on.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Cortana: I've made some modifications to your weapons and armor. Guns will now get inaccurate if you shoot too fast.

Chief: Not a problem, I always burst my Assault Rifl-

Cortana: No I mean precision weapons too.

Chief: .... But wh-

Cortana: and bloom is larger if you're moving, but hey, you're going to be moving slower and clunkier already so no need for strafing!

#WorstCaseScenarios
Now do fall damage and somehow tie it into a Cortana romance scene.

you forgot Questionable Content and Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

though for QC you're going to have go to back and read all of it to understand what's going on.

I read QC for a couple years and then got bored with it.
SMBC I still check the RSS feed every now and then, but it's not exactly a habit for me.

I used to read a lot more webcomics, but I tried reducing my time wasted on the internet one year and deleted a bunch of my RSS subscriptions. Now I just waste time on GAF, I don't even read Joystiq or Kotaku much any more. HBO is the only one gaming news I consistently check.

Homeboyd

Heh, my stupid brain:

"Hmm, today is Friday.

New xkcd comic (check)
New Penny-Arcade (check)
New Ctrl+Alt+Del (check)

Oh yeah, new BWU!

Aww, nevermind."

Old habits die hard.
Man I thought about this earlier today... DeeJ has been pretty active lately.. Im hoping he gets some content to talk about soon.

I am missing me some Friday BWU's.

Man I thought about this earlier today... DeeJ has been pretty active lately.. Im hoping he gets some content to talk about soon.

I am missing me some Friday BWU's.

Yeah, DeeJ has certainly been making a good splash in the b.net forums. I wouldn't get my hopes up for the return of the BWU just yet though.

Be brave, don't be afraid of the dark, etc.

I read QC for a couple years and then got bored with it.
SMBC I still check the RSS feed every now and then, but it's not exactly a habit for me.

I used to read a lot more webcomics, but I tried reducing my time wasted on the internet one year and deleted a bunch of my RSS subscriptions. Now I just waste time on GAF, I don't even read Joystiq or Kotaku much any more. HBO is the only one gaming news I consistently check.

Funny story, once I started my job in software testingI didn't have too much to do. I totally did what I was told.... but in my free time I read 1,000 SMBC comics in the first 2 weks. I was told my internet usage was being monitored and I quickly stopped reading one-panel comics that would clo up my history :p

Hey You

For context, did you play Halo 2 in its heyday?

Nope, but If I did it probably wouldn't have made a difference.

Yeah, DeeJ has certainly been making a good splash in the b.net forums. I wouldn't get my hopes up for the return of the BWU just yet though.

Be brave, don't be afraid of the dark, etc.

Hes only temporary, so I wouldn't expect it. He was probably hired to entertain the community and keep us updated on Bungie Aerospace games.

I ran MLG Customs in Halo 3 all pretty much all the time, so that's my experience for that game. Probably the most fun I've ever had online, I came in after the Halo 2 heyday

The net-code is pretty great, and its very pretty on the right maps.

Gameplay on the other hand...
I certainly think so. If Halo 3 had Reach's netcode and feedback loop I would still be playing it. Pretty much the only good things Reach brought. Besides the grenade launcher, of course.
You guys probably should just go back to Halo 3 because I'd like the DLC lists to actually get some use. When Reach does so much wrong I don't think those two factors make up for it at all.

Like I said earlier, Halo 2 is best, but I can understand where you guys are coming from when you say H1. H3 or HR though? Who are these people? Were you born yesterday? Was Halo Reach your first multiplayer game or something?
My first multiplayer game was Doom via IPX. Come at me, bro.

Kujo

Halo 2 was king (when they fixed it). Hitscan, best maps, vehicle boarding, Objective was actually something people played. Flag contesting was great. Meanwhile in Reach I'm carrying flag 3 metres from score point and round ends, brilliant.

Why is Headlong so Slayer orrientated in the CEA playlist, the map excels at Objective and it rarely comes up for me, where is my 1-Flag dammit

Top Bottom