• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

TheOddOne

Yesterday I was playing with my regular group of Reach friends. So just to start it off, I played a slayer match with a female friend.

Female friend: "Everybody watch out there is a sniper above"
Random Guy: "LOL SHUT UP. YOU SUCK DICK!"
Female friend: "What the fuck is wrong with you? I'm just giving people a heads up."
Random Guy: "Nobody fucking asked."
Female friend: "...."
Random Guy: "You suck dick."
Female friend: "This is why I am always in party chat."
Female friend: "Ofcourse I fucking suck dick. I'm a girl."
Random Guy: "...."

My lady friend totally blast the dude for being a fat fuck, living at home, nerd who never ever been with a women.

Guy went silent.

Now I know why women prefer to stay in party chat or not use a mic.

ElRenoRaven

Halo 2 was only competitive after MLG got its hands on it. No offense but when you guys say halo 2, you guys should really qualify it. SMG sucked. SMG starts sucked. And that's how Halo 2 started.

Exactly. Halo 2 had a lot of problems. I mean a lot too. Let's be honest Halo 2's problems included:

Insane auto aim
Rocket lock on that was beyond bullshit
unlimited sword
duel wield or die. If you weren't duel wielding you were dead.

Really when I think of perfectly balanced Halo I do think of the original. 3 comes close but not completely there. That is why I really really wish 343 would basically reboot the multiplayer from scratch.

Take Halo 1 and dissect the hell out of it. Then rebuild it to include vehicle jacking which was the one great addition to Halo multiplayer. After that go through and strip out the ton of useless weapons that only duplicated others. Ideally I'd like it to look like this.

4 frags
4 sticky grenades
Halo 1 pistol or a Battle Rifle that is equal to the pistol from Halo 1
assault rifle
sniper rifle
Shotgun
Plasma Rifle
Plasma Pistol
Covie Sniper
Carbine
Needler
Brute Shot (I actually liked the way it functioned in halo 2. A lot)
Grenade Launcher the way it functions in Reach
Sword with limited uses
Brute Hammer with of course limited uses
Rocket Launcher with limited lock on for air vehicles
fuel rod gun with the same limited lock on for air vehicels
Warthog
Mongoose
Ghost
Banshee
Brute Chopper
Wraith Tank That is on par with the original games campaigns in that you have it's mortor and little laser shooters.
Halo 1 Scorpion Tank.

All this while bringing back the movement speed Halo 1 had, The fall damage Halo 1 had, and health packs like Halo 1 had which didn't require you hitting a button to use them. Also bring back classic power ups. No armor abilities, no equipment.

Think that covers it. I might have missed a weapon here or there but you'll notice I cut out the 500 duplicate weapons and weapons that made vehicles 100 percent useless minus one or two. I also put a flavor weapon or two like the brute shot and Grenade launcher.

Oh one more thing. Also a big thing I would do is put the weapon spawns back the way they were in Halo 1. This means limited power weapons. Not 500 OF THEM ON A MAP THAT CONSTANTLY RESPAWN EVERY 30 GODDAMN SECONDS!!!!!!!!!!

That's my rough thoughts of what I'd ideally like to see.

Yesterday I was playing with my regular group of Reach friends. So just to start it off, I played a slayer match with a female friend.

Female friend: "What the fuck is wrong with you? I'm just giving people a heads up."

My lady friend totally blast the dude for being a fat fuck, living at home, nerd who never ever been with a women.

Guy went silent.

Hell that's why I prefer party chat or no mic. That shit's in every game. Nobody want's team work. It's either a racist or sexist asshole, the dick bitching people out cause they suck even though he's last on your team, or just some annoying little kid with a voice that sounds like nails on a chalkboard who won't shut the hell up.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What if there was a spectator mode in Halo 4? I think that would be pretty great for live events like MLG.

For now, I wonder if they could somehow use Reach's forthcoming ATLAS - an overhead map would be pretty cool to see on the MLG stream.

(I still think ATLAS 2.0 in Halo 4 could be the way to bridge the gap between casual play and old-school competitive Halo. Especially if it helps with weapon timers. More on that later, I think I might make an article of it.)
Overdoz tweeted me a very interesting video from Penny Arcade about what needs to happen for ESports to take off. It mentioned making the game better for spectators. Now, in SC2 you can have a bunch of people in the game watching while 2 players duke it out. And while you're watching, there are a bunch of stat trackers live while the game is playing that you can see. How many units does each player have? How much money does each player have? How many workers were killed in the game? How many actions per minute is each player acheiving? The spectator in the game can see what each player see and is doing. The commentators control all of that.

How do you apply something similar to Halo? Allow players in game to join the lobby but act as a spectator. Actually before we get into that we have to realize what's wrong with Halo at a spectator event. If you've ever been to an MLG event and sat on the mainstage, you know how hard it is to follow. There are 3 giant screens and each player is being shown and then in the middle what the viewers at home see. How many times have you been watching MLG at home and the commentators miss and awesome triple kill or overkill. Hardly ever do the commentators catch it. That needs to change. What if you're spectating in game and there's a mini map? And on that mini map, you see from birds eye view, a dot representing each player and an icon showing if they have a power weapon or power up. It can show you if a rocket guy has a flank on 2 guys and we're about to see a double kill and possibly more. In this mode, you can switch to each player in first person easily. If a player get's a double kill you should be alerted and with a button press, you can jump to that players view. Things like that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Longer kill times are good because they increase the complexity and variety of a given encounter and widen the skill gap (because the first to fire is not so strongly indicative of who will win, as it is in most 'modern' FPS games). But at a certain point they become long enough that someone can break off a given encounter with too much ease or rely too heavily on outside support (i.e. just running away to compensate for poor positioning, or armour locking until friends arrive).

Reach's kill times are long enough that by the time you down someone, the odds are you are going to have to fight someone else, and the shield recharge (which is the silent culprit of a lot of complaints, because it is long, slow, and more significant than ever given the likelihood of your having less than optimum health) fucks you. Having a bloomed-out weapon fucks you. Having a shallow clip (esp. for the pistol) fucks you.

All of these things combine to make stringing together multikills (and sprees) harder than in any other Halo game: even if you execute one opponent flawlessly, you are probably going to be a severe disadvantage for the next one because your weapon is less accurate, your clip isn't deep enough so you're forced into untimely reloads, and the encounter length and shield recharge lengths are always working against you.

This is all particularly frustrating for players who are used to chaining kills and going clutch against multiple opponents in earlier titles. Reach makes it easy for someone to take advantage by being late to other people's fights, and it's why I have played about ten minutes of FFA since the game launched.
Great post. It never dawned on me why FFA feels so unplayable since Reach came out, but now it's obvious. I haven't tried Anni FFA, yet...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Now I know why women reasonable people prefer to stay in party chat or not use a mic.
Fixed it.

My girlfriend picked up BF3 on Xbox, and she's enjoying the squad voice chat system. She often end up with friends in party chat, but even if she's going solo, all she has to do is drop the squad to get away from douchebags.

ElRenoRaven

Fixed it.

My girlfriend picked up BF3 on Xbox, and she's enjoying the squad voice chat system. She often end up with friends in party chat, but even if she's going solo, all she has to do is drop the squad to get away from douchebags.

You know though it's sad that she has to even has to do that. I'll just honestly not ever understand why people can't just have more respect for not just women but everyone. Is it too hard to be a decent person and not treat others like shit?

Overdoz tweeted me a very interesting video from Penny Arcade about what needs to happen for ESports to take off. It mentioned making the game better for spectators. Now, in SC2 you can have a bunch of people in the game watching while 2 players duke it out. And while you're watching, there are a bunch of stat trackers live while the game is playing that you can see. How many units does each player have? How much money does each player have? How many workers were killed in the game? How many actions per minute is each player acheiving? The spectator in the game can see what each player see and is doing. The commentators control all of that.

How do you apply something similar to Halo? Allow players in game to join the lobby but act as a spectator. Actually before we get into that we have to realize what's wrong with Halo at a spectator event. If you've ever been to an MLG event and sat on the mainstage, you know how hard it is to follow. There are 3 giant screens and each player is being shown and then in the middle what the viewers at home see. How many times have you been watching MLG at home and the commentators miss and awesome triple kill or overkill. Hardly ever do the commentators catch it. That needs to change. What if you're spectating in game and there's a mini map? And on that mini map, you see from birds eye view, a dot representing each player and an icon showing if they have a power weapon or power up. It can show you if a rocket guy has a flank on 2 guys and we're about to see a double kill and possibly more. In this mode, you can switch to each player in first person easily. If a player get's a double kill you should be alerted and with a button press, you can jump to that players view. Things like that.

I'm curious how ATLAS will work in Reach. Maybe MLG could spring for a few WP7s, then direct feed that to the stream/commentators. Maybe one from each team, only find a way to overlay them on top of each other to get everyone's position.

Does MLG do instant replays for big games?

A spectator camera would be really great, it would give viewers a better idea of what's going on rather than being limited to just one first-person viewpoint.

The NFL could add helmet cam footage (which would be awesome) but they'd still need the wide-angle cameras. NASCAR switches between the two and it works pretty well.

You know though it's sad that she has to even has to do that. I'll just honestly not ever understand why people can't just have more respect for not just women but everyone. Is it too hard to be a decent person and not treat others like shit?

When you are aged 10-30, anonymous, and socially awkward, then the answer is yes apparently.

That was initially more tied to the story being about Spartan-II's though, was it not?

I feel like this is more the canon excuse for movement speed changes, rather than being the cause of the movement speed changes.

Think about the demographics of people that are most likely to be playing FPSes. Hell look at this forum sometimes. What's the first thing out of some people's mouths in regards to women?

kylej

Banned

Guy went silent.

People who talk shit in pregame lobbies and mock teammates while playing really burn me up. Have some class and respect.

Falagard

Exactly. Halo 2 had a lot of problems. I mean a lot too. Let's be honest Halo 2's problems included:

Insane auto aim
Rocket lock on that was beyond bullshit
unlimited sword
duel wield or die. If you weren't duel wielding you were dead.

Really when I think of perfectly balanced Halo I do think of the original. 3 comes close but not completely there. That is why I really really wish 343 would basically reboot the multiplayer from scratch.

Take Halo 1 and dissect the hell out of it. Then rebuild it to include vehicle jacking which was the one great addition to Halo multiplayer. After that go through and strip out the ton of useless weapons that only duplicated others. Ideally I'd like it to look like this.

4 frags
4 sticky grenades
Halo 1 pistol or a Battle Rifle that is equal to the pistol from Halo 1
assault rifle
sniper rifle
Shotgun
Plasma Rifle
Plasma Pistol
Covie Sniper
Carbine
Needler
Brute Shot (I actually liked the way it functioned in halo 2. A lot)
Grenade Launcher the way it functions in Reach
Sword with limited uses
Brute Hammer with of course limited uses
Rocket Launcher with limited lock on for air vehicles
fuel rod gun with the same limited lock on for air vehicels
Warthog
Mongoose
Ghost
Banshee
Brute Chopper
Wraith Tank That is on par with the original games campaigns in that you have it's mortor and little laser shooters.
Halo 1 Scorpion Tank.

All this while bringing back the movement speed Halo 1 had, The fall damage Halo 1 had, and health packs like Halo 1 had which didn't require you hitting a button to use them. Also bring back classic power ups. No armor abilities, no equipment.

Think that covers it. I might have missed a weapon here or there but you'll notice I cut out the 500 duplicate weapons and weapons that made vehicles 100 percent useless minus one or two. I also put a flavor weapon or two like the brute shot and Grenade launcher.

Oh one more thing. Also a big thing I would do is put the weapon spawns back the way they were in Halo 1. This means limited power weapons. Not 500 OF THEM ON A MAP THAT CONSTANTLY RESPAWN EVERY 30 GODDAMN SECONDS!!!!!!!!!!

That's my rough thoughts of what I'd ideally like to see.

I agree with this post. Do it, Bung... err 343.

Longer kill times are good because they increase the complexity and variety of a given encounter and widen the skill gap (because the first to fire is not so strongly indicative of who will win, as it is in most 'modern' FPS games). But at a certain point they become long enough that someone can break off a given encounter with too much ease or rely too heavily on outside support (i.e. just running away to compensate for poor positioning, or armour locking until friends arrive).

Reach's kill times are long enough that by the time you down someone, the odds are you are going to have to fight someone else, and the shield recharge (which is the silent culprit of a lot of complaints, because it is long, slow, and more significant than ever given the likelihood of your having less than optimum health) fucks you. Having a bloomed-out weapon fucks you. Having a shallow clip (esp. for the pistol) fucks you.

All of these things combine to make stringing together multikills (and sprees) harder than in any other Halo game: even if you execute one opponent flawlessly, you are probably going to be a severe disadvantage for the next one because your weapon is less accurate, your clip isn't deep enough so you're forced into untimely reloads, and the encounter length and shield recharge lengths are always working against you.

This is all particularly frustrating for players who are used to chaining kills and going clutch against multiple opponents in earlier titles. Reach makes it easy for someone to take advantage by being late to other people's fights, and it's why I have played about ten minutes of FFA since the game launched.

Longer kill times in arena shooters compared to military shooter do make the combat scenarios more complex and/or more 'skilled'. When comparing arena shooters to each other thought I think the most important figure is a large gap between potential kill times and average kill times. Halo CE is usually considered the most competitively viable Halo game, and it's largely due to that. It has the most powerful starting weapon in the series, but it also had far and away the most difficult starting weapon to use creating a much larger gap between average kill times and potential kill times than any other Halo game, thus creating an individual skill gap that is not seen in the other games.

For whatever reason, when people are behind the mask of the internet, many of them have some odd desire to be complete assholes, and say and act in ways that they would probably never do in person.

GhaleonEB

Well said. I do think the shield recharge is a silent culprit to a lot of problems, which the other factors just make worse.

ElRenoRaven

For whatever reason, when people are behind the mask of the internet, many of them have some odd desire to be complete assholes, and say and act in ways that they would probably never do in person.

Guess that's what makes me different then. I am who I am online or off. That means I'm usually a pretty easy going person that will give anyone a chance. I just like to shoot the shit, debate some things, and have fun. I can also be a bit stubborn and a bit hard headed. I don't deny that. That's me though. I just don't see why people need to act differently then who they are. What do you gain from it? All you are then is a two faced fake. At least I can say if you like me or you hate them it's me you like or hate. Not what I pretend to be. I can also say that if you like me or hate me I don't care because I was true to myself and no matter what I do there will always be people that don't like me and others who do.

Oh well. Back to Halo. So When's Halogaf getting our Halo 4 alpha invites Frankie? lol

Tawpgun

None perfect but it was evident in 3 that they hadn't learned from 2. And Reach is just I don't even know.

Reach had the scoped pistol with AR starts. DMR starts were largely superior, but at least they made AR starts more bearable.

Missed opportunity by Random Guy. Shit-Talk level: Scrubzilla

What was the shield recharge in H2 as opposed to like, Reach?

I think Reach is like 5 seconds, right?
Halo 2 and 3 had very fast recharge times relatively. Reach is more akin to CE. Takes a while to start recharging. Recharges slowly. This is why it feels like grenades can trap you for like a minute.

Guess that's what makes me different then. I am who I am online or off. That means I'm usually a pretty easy going person that will give anyone a chance. I just like to shoot the shit, debate some things, and have fun. I can also be a bit stubborn and a bit hard headed. I don't deny that. That's me though. I just don't see why people need to act differently then who they are. What do you gain from it? All you are then is a two faced fake. At least I can say if you like me or you hate them it's me you like or hate. Not what I pretend to be. I can also say that if you like me or hate me I don't care because I was true to myself and no matter what I do there will always be people that don't like me and others who do.

Oh well. Back to Halo. So When's Halogaf getting our Halo 4 alpha invites Frankie? lol

Yeah I feel the same way, but there are obviously those out there that don't. I think for some people its a way to take out frustration, not that it makes it right.

Online, I talk a lot more about games since most of my friends aren't gamers. But atleast on the xbox, I'm pretty much the same guy as in real life. Don't know why I should act differently.

I think sometimes people act different considering the circumstances. I'll say and do things differently around say, shooting the shit with my boys at a bar, then say, Thanksgiving dinner with my grandma. You change your behavior based of the social context.

Just some people take that context to be, "Aw yeah, now I can say whatever the fuck I want to everybody with no bad social graces, whoo hoo lol go back to the kitchen n-word jew f-word"

I keep seeing various game sites lauding the Kill Confirmed gametype in MW3. Doesn't seem that original to me, but it's popular.

Sounds like it would be doable in Headhunter, maybe not by tweaking a current variant but possibly through Megalo.

The only issues I can see:
- You could make the skull capture zone just span the entire level, but then skulls would instantly disappear.
- Teammates aren't supposed to be able to score your dropped skull, if they pick it up it should just deny the enemy that skull. (i.e. skulls would have to be tagged as belonging to a certain team).

Her blue eyes, electric and alive like the cobalt glow of a lit plasma grenade, filled with joyous tears. As she felt his powerful titanium arms encircle her dainty waist, she gasped and waited a desperate yearning moment, for him to say her name. His gold-glistered gaze pinned her, caught her breath, her very soul. He hesitated, leaned forward and whispered.... 'Juices...'

tumblr_lldb70rck41qaa163o1_500.gif
TUMBLYRRRRR

Also I've begun Halo CEA first playthrough. Ill be giving out all those avatar codes the grunt funeral skull 2 day gold and the map pack towards the end if any of you are interested all you gotta do is be there.

I keep seeing various game sites lauding the Kill Confirmed gametype in MW3. Doesn't seem that original to me, but it's popular.

Sounds like it would be doable in Headhunter, maybe not by tweaking a current variant but possibly through Megalo.

The only issues I can see:
- You could make the skull capture zone just span the entire level, but then skulls would instantly disappear.
- Teammates aren't supposed to be able to score your dropped skull, if they pick it up it should just deny the enemy that skull. (i.e. skulls would have to be tagged as belonging to a certain team).

I actually thought about this a couple days ago. Kill Confirmed improves the COD formula because it helps promote movement around the map. I don't think Halo necessarily has the same issues, but it could still make for a fun variant.

You came up with pretty much the same issues I did: the 'capture' event, and the nuance between enemy and friendly skulls/tags.

What was the shield recharge in H2 as opposed to like, Reach?

I think Reach is like 5 seconds, right?
In Halo 2 and 3, your shield starts recharging about 4.25 seconds after being hit, and takes 1.75 seconds to recharge.

In Reach, your shield starts recharging after 6 seconds, and takes 2.75 seconds to recharge.

It's a significant difference that slows down the game and shrinks the efficacy of individual players. One of my greatest irritations with Reach, and nobody ever talks about it.

In Halo 2 and 3, your shield starts recharging about 4.25 seconds after being hit, and takes 1.75 seconds to recharge.

In Reach, your shield starts recharging after 6 seconds, and takes 2.75 seconds to recharge.

It's a significant difference that slows down the game and shrinks the efficacy of individual players. One of my greatest irritations with Reach, and nobody ever talks about it.

I have. It's even worse with no/reduced bloom, the slow shields that is.

I recently played Halo 3's campaign before going into Reach, the first things you notice are, "Wow, I lost my hops :(" and "holy fuck why does it take forever and a day for my shields to recharge!?"

daedalius

I recently played Halo 3's campaign before going into Reach, the first things you notice are, "Wow, I lost my hops :(" and "holy fuck why does it take forever and a day for my shields to recharge!?"

Dem Spartan IIIs!

I really hope h2/h3 shield recharge comes back in H4. It should, since we'll be playing MC again! w/ Mk VII Mjolnir.

Really makes you wonder what the intent was behind such a change... make it easier for other players to come mop you up?

Tawpgun

Bleh, gross.

I always talked about the shield recharge time and grenades, trying to describe how OP it really is.

I'm confident Halo 4 will be a faster game. Chiefs armor hasn't changed. Should be the same or better.

I know "The Game is King" but by that logic you'd want a better game with faster shields. :D

Bleh, gross.

I always talked about the shield recharge time and grenades, trying to describe how OP it really is.

I'm confident Halo 4 will be a faster game. Chiefs armor hasn't changed. Should be the same or better.

I know "The Game is King" but by that logic you'd want a better game with faster shields. :D

They'll come up with some story-related bullshit like "this harsh, foreign enviroment of this world makes shields recharge longer then usual"

Bleh, gross.

Someone recognizes my genius :p

I don't think anyone would have a problem with multiplayer shields being set for a specific charge time, and campaign being different... at least I wouldn't.

Tawpgun

They'll come up with some story-related bullshit like "this harsh, foreign enviroment of this world makes shields recharge longer then usual"

Cortana: The gravity on this planet means you are less maneuverable.

Chief: Like being a Spartan III on Reach?

Cortana: Worse

Falagard

Really makes you wonder what the intent was behind such a change... make it easier for other players to come mop you up?

How to ruin Halo:

a) Designer wants to add sprint, jet pack and armor lock to game.
b) Those things allow players to "get away" too often so shields are modified to take longer to recharge and base movement speed is lowered.
c) DMR is added with 3 times zoom.

Game now has frustrating armor abilities, slow movement speed, shield recharges take longer, and can get killed from across map easily.

Honestly, I don't give two shits about "canon" affecting multiplayer gameplay. I don't care that we're Spartan III's. Make me run fast, jump high, shoot accurately, and make my shields recharge faster.

and make those goddamn grenades bounce.

daedalius

How to ruin Halo:

a) Designer wants to add sprint, jet pack and armor lock to game.
b) Those things allow players to "get away" too often so shields are modified to take longer to recharge and base movement speed is lowered.
c) DMR is added with 3 times zoom.

Game now has frustrating armor abilities, slow movement speed, shield recharges take longer, and can get killed from across map easily.

So much truth.

In general I think they were trying to make it more methodical and 'thoughtful'. /snip

I think they missed the memo on the fact Arena Shooters are rarely slow and methodical. The MLG pros claim they went to Bungie to give them input... but then how do we move so slow and have bloom; and the day after the Reach Beta came out everyone was complaining about low jumps, speed, bloom, and nuclear grenades? Did the pros play a different version of the game? or were their suggestions just not taken into account?

In general I think they were trying to make it more methodical and 'thoughtful'. Constraining movement without the right AA, increasing kill times, introducing Armour Lock as a pause button, making grenades 'matter', implementing bloom in general but especially its mitigation when crouching or scoping, etc. They wanted to slow things down, highlight teamwork, decrease the importance of the individual player, and introduce a kind of 'chesslike' idea where a player with a certain AA or weapon would likely trump another in a given scenario.

Unfortunately all of these changes are anathema to much (most?) of the Halo playerbase. They hamper players' movements and aiming, decrease our chances of chaining together kills and sprees, squeeze the difference between us and other players (especially in the immediate aftermath of an encounter), and put us in situations where we're underdogs because of a decision we made on spawn, rather than something we did since.

(What bothers players about spawn-camping or bad spawns is that they effectively constrain our efficacy before we have entered the playspace; loadouts in a less egregious way do the same, largely because of map design that can make the choice to, say, not equip jetpack this life on Sword Base dictate significant knock-on effects before you've so much as cocked your weapon. Because many players -- especially highly-skilled players here at GAF -- pride themselves on staying alive, building sprees, etc., and because a loadout choice is 'lifelong' and cannot be swapped until you die, making an irrevocable and in-efficacious decision here feels 'unfair' given such decisions are unprecedented in a Halo game.)

Tawpgun

oh god make it stop

Cortana: I've made some modifications to your weapons and armor. Guns will now get inaccurate if you shoot too fast.

Chief: Not a problem, I always burst my Assault Rifl-

Cortana: No I mean precision weapons too.

Chief: .... But wh-

Cortana: and bloom is larger if you're moving, but hey, you're going to be moving slower and clunkier already so no need for strafing!

#WorstCaseScenarios

I certainly think so. If Halo 3 had Reach's netcode and feedback loop I would still be playing it. Pretty much the only good things Reach brought. Besides the grenade launcher, of course.

Top Bottom