• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Tawpgun

I'm kind of surprised that the TU inclusion is what finally killed your Objective interest, and not the asinine weightings of the fringe gametypes or the sometimes-good universal DMR starts, and the addition of Evade before that, or the Drop Shield fiasco before that. The playlist has been on a slide from the beginning.
DMR starts always good. It's what made me start playing objective again.

Havok

DMR starts always good. It's what made me start playing objective again.
I generally like it, though there are some times that it makes running the flag a pain in the ass on some of the maps with less cover. I mostly mentioned it because folks like Fyrewulff have been pretty vocally against it, which I think is valid, even though I don't share the sentiment.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just got up from a nap

Heard MLG playlist was updated

Awwww yeaaaaa

Thanks for the early update!

3 games of MLG so far, a quitter (or more!) in all 3! WOO

Just played like 10 games of Halo 3 and it seemed like it had less afk'ers/ quitters than Reach lol. Halo 3 is still pretty awesome btw. Just putting that out there.

Mlg playlist any good? I give up on it tonight, waaay too late.

OK so heres my new idea for quitting in the next Halo. Don't allow quitting, just leave the option out of the game.

If someone dashboards keep a copy of that player in the game, so he'll get deaths still and can't "protect" his k/d.

This also prevents that scenario where that ONE FUCKING KID won't leave and the game goes til the end because you can't hit 50 hunting down one guy all game.

If at all possible, give that quit/clone minor AI based on rank. Which would also be an addition to the teams who get quitters, meaning the game won't turn so one-sided, but will still be at a disadvantage since those 'bots' won't be walshy or nothing.

OK so heres my new idea for quitting in the next Halo. Don't allow quitting, just leave the option out of the game.

If someone dashboards keep a copy of that player in the game, so he'll get deaths still and can't "protect" his k/d.

This also prevents that scenario where that ONE FUCKING KID won't leave and the game goes til the end because you can't hit 50 hunting down one guy all game.

If at all possible, give that quit/clone minor AI based on rank. Which would also be an addition to the teams who get quitters, meaning the game won't turn so one-sided, but will still be at a disadvantage since those 'bots' won't be walshy or nothing.

Better solution. Keep quit in, but the next game you have a pink tutu on your character so everyone knows what a big fat quitter baby you are.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nobody should ever do this and it's absolutely shameful Bungie copped out of actual map design by doing it.

We are not doing this but it's important to realize that's not what Bungie did either. They created MP spaces as specific areas, then grafted those into campaign, as Ivory Tower demonstrates. I actually like a lot of the asymmetrical spaces that created, like Powerhouse and I actually don't think it's a bad idea on paper.

Just as much effort went into the design of those spaces as 'bespoke' map designs.

I got the idea from Splosion Man. If you die 7 times in one level before the next checkpoint, you get the option to skip it, but you get an embarrassing song and have to wear a tutu like a guuuuuuurl

splosionmantutu-620x.jpg

Good games everyone, glad I got my account back. I still don't know why it was suspended, weird :/ and thanks to David for looking into it.

Also, New Alexandria is such a beautiful and fun to play level.

GhaleonEB

Have you tried jetpacking along the pipelines to get to different buildings? good times.

Playing the Campaign Co-op playlist, I discovered that if you are outside of the hospital, you can hear the combat going on inside, and follow it along the bridge section to the jammer. Pretty neat.

Interesting to see how significant of an impact playlist ordering has on the population. Squad used to always have significantly more population than Classic and now Classic is at the top of the list and the population is 1600 to 900 in favor of classic.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
We are not doing this.

Thank the heavens.

Regardless of how the MP to SP (or vice versa) implementation happened, it's just redudant from a unique standpoint because you don't want to view the same environments/playspaces across all the gametypes. You always want to see something fresh and new.

It goes hand in hand with many Forge World arguements in Reach; you can mess with the geometry all you want, but if you're using the same blue and grey palette over and over again, you're not really creating ANYTHING new. And the playspace will get stale, fast.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thank the heavens.

Regardless of how the MP to SP (or vice versa) implementation happened, it's just redudant from a unique standpoint because you don't want to view the same environments/playspaces across all the gametypes. You always want to see something fresh and new.

It goes hand in hand with many Forge World arguements in Reach; you can mess with the geometry all you want, but if you're using the same blue and grey palette over and over again, you're not really creating ANYTHING new. And the playspace will get stale, fast.

"Forge" maps like Sandbox and even Forge World (although I think they overstretch with its scale) do perfectly compliment the traditional Halo maps. Forge has enabled the Halo community to interact with the game like no other. From sculpting and art to race tracks, and some impressive and solid maps.

The problem lies with using Forge maps as a crutch like Reach did. Building traditional maps into Forge World was a mistake. Not only did players complain that these Forge variants were "real" maps (even though Forge World's geometry was built to specifically accommodate them) but it allowed folks to see Reach overall map count was low - and combined with maps like Spire and Boneyard (spaces already visited in campaign) and people's overall low opinion of Reach's map quality (I'd argue that Reach as the worst original maps of any Halo game to date) and you have you have.

I'm happy that Forge has been confirmed for Halo 4 - I just hope that the traditional map count number doesn't suffer and that community Forge variants aren't used to bolster the shipping map count.

Forge is a powerful tool for both the community and for the developers but I also believe the developers still need to learn to use it appropriately.

Homeboyd

It depends on how advanced this "new Forge" is for me to form an opinion about whether or not I'll be bothered by another round of "Forge" maps being added to the rotation day one.

If its a serious map maker and they could advertise "we understand you guys want studio built maps, which we've offered a ton of ;), but we challenge you to determine which were built using our dev tools and which were built using our newly designed and advanced Forge..." I'd be ok.

Yeah, I know this wont happen anytime soon... but I'm going to expect it anyways and you better not let me down 343.

#reasonablethoughoftheday

feel

mlg playlist is awesome, getting my ass kicked as expected but evade aside there's zero bullshit involved so it's pure Halo competitive fun, thanks mlg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Yea, we need our Forge Anime art for Halo 4, can't leave that out!

It's not about shitty anime art. The amount of unique community created content across Halo 3 and Reach has to be massive. I'm sure beyond doubt more folks have dabbled in Forge than have ever heard of MLG.

Forge isn't for everyone, but it's an integral part of the Halo package at this point.

Also, I'm sure you'd like Forge not to interrupt your multiplayer fun times as much in Halo 4 than with Reach.

Just played a game of ZB Slayer playlist, and after playing nothing but anniversary gametypes the past month, two things are painfully evident right away.
-100 speed is awful
-grenades on 100 speed are flat broken

Ramirez

It's not about shitty anime art. The amount of unique community created content across Halo 3 and Reach has to be massive. I'm sure beyond doubt more folks have dabbled in Forge than have ever heard of MLG.

Forge isn't for everyone, but it's an integral part of the Halo package at this point.

Also, I'm sure you'd like Forge not to interrupt your multiplayer fun times as much in Halo 4 than with Reach.

I'll take a real map editor over Forge though, Forge has produced nothing that I can't live without.

Exactly, we need a real map editor. Reach's forge was 3's natural evolution and it was exactly what I expected it to be.

Halo 4 is other story, we need to make our own maps, make them look unique and stylish. It needs to have terrain editing, let us change the daytime... say I want to make a snowy Sandtrap or a desserted Avalanche.

Far Cry 2 is a three years old game and it already achieved all of this and if I remember correctly Frankie said they had top men working on it so I'm confident they'll get it right.

Tunavi

Banned
Forge is great, but I don't want it in matchmaking. I've a plenty of great times on forged maps in customs.

However, for competitive play, a single community playlist (basically a confined prison for forge maps) would be great as long as it doesn't touch other playlists. Would be enough to mix up the map selection but not infect other playlists

Forge is great for MLG as well because their quality standards are much higher.

But man, not only is uncaged ugly and not fun, its in so many playlists

FyreWulff

I think this was only for Boneyard the case. Every other map was planned as Campaign sections first.

Yep. Boneyard was brought in as an Invasion map because a location was cut (and the map that went with it).

Can we all please stop saying shit like this. Bungie does not have limited resources they have terrible project managers who can't put together a great campaign AND multiplayer experience to save their lives.

GTA3 had something like 30 developers on it, and they were building entire video game conventions up from scratch. That's limited resources. Bungie works out of an old movie theater complex, had Microsoft paying the bills, 3 years of dev time, and was iterating on the same game they've been making for a decade. That is far, far, far, from limited, that's a blessing.

Every company has a limited amount of work time and people on a game. Unless you have a 5 billion dollar budget, 24 hour rotated shift work on the game and can make the game inside of slipspace so that you have a 20 year development cycle but only appears as a 2 year cycle to the rest of the world, an HD game puts more strain on the same amount of of people than previous generation games. Gamers won't let developers get away with an ugly map even if it plays great. If you may notice, the Forge World pieces of the previous maps in most cases are the literal geometry from Halo 2, and even at that they have more detail from the added Forerunner dressing put on them than the Halo 2 version. This is just the reality of making a game for the Xbox 360 or the PS3.

I'm sure it was a good idea on paper, but with 20/20 hindsight it looks like it may have put too much pressure on the schedule, forcing more bottlenecks and creating more design constraints.

Bungie has become more accepting of cutting content before it drags the rest of the project down so that they don't get a repeat of the Halo 2 nightmare, where the refusal to cut content out early in the process dragged the rest of the game down. Even if the maps were completely separate spaces, they would have probably had a near amount same of cuts from their new "cut first, ask questions later" mantra that they constantly talked about while making ODST. They even mentioned at PAX09 that the Mythic maps used to be intended as ODST campaign spaces, so it's not like an idea they suddenly floated for Reach. If Bungie had made Halo 3 today they would have more than likely cut Construct and Guardian from the Halo 3 lineup.

It's not even a new video game idea. A lot of the maps from Goldeneye, including the most popular one Facility, were campaign spaces. In that case, they were campaign spaces first, and multiplayer spaces later.

In my opinion, the fact that a map had to be good enough to survive being cut saved us from shit maps like Isolation and 3DSMaxstruct in the final game. I like some maps more than others but in Reach, I vote for the gametype, not against any developer map. In Halo 3 I spent a lot of my time vetoing away the map even if I liked the gametype. If I had to pick a least favorite it'd be Sword Base, and that's more than likely because I hated Boarding Action.

Haven't seen any DLC tonight in Team Slayer. If only we had a list where DLC was guaranteed.

Don't understand why Big Team Battle just didn't become DLC required. It's traditionally been the all-DLC playlist. DLC requirements would add a steady supply of Tempest, Breakpoint, Highlands, Condemned, Ridgeline, Headlong, and High Noon to the rotation. Penance if you really want to push things.

Maybe. But if Halo 4
is good
and people play it enough to buy the dlc then it could work.

That is an awful idea. You should never require players to buy more game just to play it.

Halo 4 NEEDS to have a matchmaking algorithm that matches you up against players with the same DLC as you, so it doesn't matter for Halo 4.

Yep. Boneyard was brought in as an Invasion map because a location was cut (and the map that went with it).

Wait, correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but are you agreeing with Hyper that the maps were created as campaign spaces first? Because that it not true.

Top Bottom